View Full Version : Tessa Wilka

Rabbitlivinginverm
08-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Looks like NDSU got another one:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/SPORTS/60824036

Tessa Wilka to sign with North Dakota State
From staff reports
August 24, 2006

Tessa Wilka, who will be a senior at O'Gorman this year, has verbally committed to play basketball at North Dakota State University.

Wilka, an excellent ballhandler and passer, led the Knights to the state Class AA finals as a junior last season.

She averaged 13.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists a game while shooting 44 percent on 2-pointers, 33 percent on 3-pointers and 76 percent on free throws.

Wilka and Jenny Miller each made 43 3-pointers in 2005-06 to set a school record.

North Dakota State, an independent Division I school, had a 9-17 record last season.

NoDakSt
08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the update, Rabbitliving....

Tessa is a 6'0" guard. *

O'Gorman's website: http://www.sfcss.org/OGHS/OGHSmain.htm

Wilka also competes for the Minnesota Stars AAU the same organization that Megan Shea and Amy Kellemeyn play for.

NoDakSt
08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Here's a link to an entertaining 6 page thread on Ms. Wilka. It's a message board so ya probably need to omit the extreme pro and con aspects and read the middle. I wonder if we sometimes sound like this.

http://www.argusleaderonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3708

sambini
08-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks Rabbit for the link.

NoDakSt
08-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Another article on Wilka who was named to first team "AA" in South Dakota.

http://www.plainsman.com/main.php/send_comment.php?story_id=8560

NoDakSt
08-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Link to Forum article on 2007 verbals.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/137618

mebison
08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Here's a link to an entertaining 6 page thread on Ms. Wilka. *It's a message board so ya probably need to omit the extreme pro and con aspects and read the middle. *I wonder if we sometimes sound like this. *

I think I'm too soft for the hard-core sports fan set...just doesn't seem appropriate to me to be making comments about how "horrible" at basketball a girl just out of sophomore year (the first messages were 2005) is because she's not dominating some tournament. A 16 y.o. girl (or guy, for that matter) has got enough other crap to worry about without a random stranger insulting her on a message board. :-/

SDSUHuskies
08-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I've seen Tessa Wilka play plenty of times..she is one of the best, if not the best player since Megan Mahoney played at Kansas State...if you thought Lacey Johnson (Wess. Springs, SD) was good, you are in for a treat with Wilka..I see her making an immediate impact with your program..maybe not starting, but definitely coming off the bench. That is my personal opinion..

NoDakSt
08-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info, SDSUHuskies...for me, a Bison fan outside of the tri-state area, I appreciate your reporting.

Mahoney, huh? She's currently playing in the W. She was spectacular during her four years in Manhattan so if Wilka is anywhere near this talent, I'm pleased. *If I'm correct, I think Mahoney played point for KSU and she was 6'0". *That's Wilka's position now at high school...is her skillset similar enough where she might play this in Fargo? Or will she be a two guard? With Wilka, Walseth, Samuelson, and Shea all being 6'0" or taller, NDSU could have some height in the backcourt.

Aaron and Amy are both pulling in some great recruits to their program. *Interesting to see their philosophies: Aaron is going the high school route to build his team while Amy is bringing in quite a few transfers. *It will be interesting to see how this works out for both programs. *Both coaching staffs seem to have strong connections to various AAU programs and I think these programs are taking off for kids in Minnesota, ND, and SD.

mikelsch
08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think coach Ruley prefers to bring in transfers, but has been more of a necessity lately because of injuries, kids transfering out, and the need to compete right now rather than wait a couple years for kids to develop. *Although when good players want to come back to the area (Samuelson and Walseth), it is nice to bring them in.

Sounds like coach Ruley is putting together a strong team which should improve upon last year's down season.

SDSUHuskies
08-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Many people asked the same question when Mahoney came out of high school: What position will she play? I guess wherever Wilka fits best, she will play. When I compare her to Mahoney, she is not as bulked up and dominant as Mahoney was, but she doesn't have to be. She has much more of a supporting cast than Mahoney did, and she plays against the Sioux Falls teams more so than Mahoney did.
The thing that compares them together is this: Wilka brings the ball up, sets up the offense, and on some possessions she will either set up a teammate or she will get in a position to get a look. She can go to the top of the key for a three, she can post up downlow, or she has a nice shot from 15 ft. out. Another thing is she is also a great passer.
She does all that and still plays the whole game, except for in blowouts. I think she can play pg at NDSU, because she can be a pure point guard in the sense that she is a pass first player, despite the 2006 State performance where she was the main scorer. Mahoney played center for her team as a senior if the first few games and other than that pretty much played everywhere, but was the point guard for a lot of games. I really think the way that they play unselfishly is very similar. However, Mahoney was forced to be a scorer (although she did have NAIA All-American Maiken Zeigler) at Sturgis, but Wilka knows the team concept and I think that's the biggest difference. She's been overlooked as a player in SD because she doesn't put up 20+ ppg.
Did I mention that she (Wilka) also jumps for the Knights? Amy will love her work ethic.

SDSUHuskies
08-30-2006, 02:12 AM
I highly recommend anyone to watch her in SD this year...O'Gorman plays @ Watertown on December 19th I believe...she will be something to see...it is the closest to Fargo and surrounding area that I can think of...
by the way is anyone going to the John Wooden thing at U-Mary in Bismarck on September 7th? JOHN WOODEN! THEEEE JOHN WOODEN..this may be one of his last go arounds, as far as traveling so let's help him make it sweet:)

sdherd
08-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Here's a link to an entertaining 6 page thread on Ms. Wilka. *It's a message board so ya probably need to omit the extreme pro and con aspects and read the middle. *I wonder if we sometimes sound like this. *

I think I'm too soft for the hard-core sports fan set...just doesn't seem appropriate to me to be making comments about how "horrible" at basketball a girl just out of sophomore year (the first messages were 2005) is because she's not dominating some tournament. *A 16 y.o. girl (or guy, for that matter) has got enough other crap to worry about without a random stranger insulting her on a message board. *:-/There are many high school kids on that forum.
Tessa just turned 17. Huge up-side. Already the best player in the state!

DORMIE
09-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Sambini....Let's plan a road trip to Watertown on Dec. 19 to watch Tessa Wilka play. It's on a Tuesday.

mebison
09-01-2006, 02:06 PM

I think I'm too soft for the hard-core sports fan set...just doesn't seem appropriate to me to be making comments about how "horrible" at basketball a girl just out of sophomore year (the first messages were 2005) is because she's not dominating some tournament. *A 16 y.o. girl (or guy, for that matter) has got enough other crap to worry about without a random stranger insulting her on a message board. *:-/There are many high school kids on that forum.
Tessa just turned 17. Huge up-side. Already the best player in the state!

Ah, I didn't think about them being high school kids. I was picturing a bunch of 40 y.o. guys sitting around at there computers bashing the girl and that just seemed a little over the top. High school kids, though...eh, they say what they're going to say and are easier to ignore.

SDSUHuskies
09-02-2006, 01:21 AM
http://media.k12.sd.us/lr030/06aagirls7_2006_03_10.wmv<--this game is probably why Wilka has a lot of haters

SDSUHuskies
09-02-2006, 01:28 AM
let me know what you think of Wilka when you watch the video!

SDSUHuskies
09-02-2006, 01:44 AM
http://media.k12.sd.us/bw012/saturday_interviews_2006_03_16.wmv a quick interview with Wilka, fast forward to 9 minutes...sorry about all these posts, I know they are annoying, but I just want you guys to see what a great player you're getting :)!

jackrabbit1979
09-02-2006, 01:54 PM
congrats bison on getting another good SD player, as far as the best player in the state as was mentioned earlier, i think you would get some pretty good debate. Their are a number of players in SD this year that are very talented and would possilbly take the top billing over Wilka. IMO, SDSU Huskie must have some sort of connection to Tessa Wilka, so i would hold his/her opinion with that in mind. I would assume he is the same SDSU Huskie that tore apart SDSU's incoming recruits on our board about the same time SDSU started to sign this years incoming class that didn't include Tessa Wilka. I may be way off base, and if so I apologize. In any matter, congrats again and good luck this season. Some more competitive WBB games between the rabbits and bison will be good for everyone.

kchats
09-02-2006, 03:13 PM
It doesn't hurt to be in the Mid Con together either. That should help both NDSU and SDSU with their recruiting. Thanks to the Jacks for being our partner in the transition to division I you have been a good friend as a university.

sdherd
09-02-2006, 03:41 PM
congrats bison on getting another good SD player, as far as the best player in the state as was mentioned earlier, i think you would get some pretty good debate. Their are a number of players in SD this year that are very talented and would possilbly take the top billing over Wilka. *IMO, SDSU Huskie must have some sort of connection to Tessa Wilka, so i would hold his/her opinion with that in mind. *I would assume he is the same SDSU Huskie that tore apart SDSU's incoming recruits on our board about the same time SDSU started to sign this years incoming class that didn't include Tessa Wilka. *I may be way off base, and if so I apologize. *In any matter, congrats again and good luck this season. *Some more competitive WBB games between the rabbits and bison will be good for everyone. *
I now for a fact that SDSU was never a place Tessa even considered.Brookings is to small and not far enough away.Her other options were to far. Great fit at NDSU.

NoDakSt
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Sweet game video...thanks!!

Wilka has some solid ball handling skills...most impressive were a couple of drives where she drove using her left hand and hit the left handed floater. She is pretty comfortable driving either direction. They also had her posting up in the paint but she had difficulty scoring with her back to the basket. On defense she was working hard not to get rubbed off on screens.

I like what she brings to the table.

SDSUHuskies
09-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Jill Young is another to watch for..has NDSU offered? She hasn't committed yet..but I'm not sure..an SDSU member could add to this
http://media.k12.sd.us/lr030/2006_girls_bball_07_2006_03_10.wmv

NoDakSt
09-06-2006, 11:28 PM
What year is Jill? We are looking at a pretty full roster so a schollie might not be available.

sdherd
09-07-2006, 01:00 AM
What year is Jill? *We are looking at a pretty full roster so a schollie might not be available.B basketball is a JOKE!

NDSUstudent
09-07-2006, 01:32 AM
B basketball is a JOKE!

What????

jackrabbit1979
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
What year is Jill? *We are looking at a pretty full roster so a schollie might not be available.B basketball is a JOKE!

It may be (even though I disagree), but I can guarantee you Jill Young is not a joke. *She can flat out shoot the lights out, score from anywhere, pass, and handle the ball. *Only concern from what I have heard is her footspeed. I know she has a good number of D1 interests and I assume offers. *I hope SDSU is holding our last scholarship for the 2007 class for her...she would look awful nice camped out on the wing waiting for a pass on our fastbreak and then draining the three.

SDSUHuskies
09-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Jill has NBA range and people talk about her foot speed, but they haven't seen her play for the S.D. Elite playing straight up man-to-man..she can shut people down!

NoDakSt
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Just picked up Street and Smith basketball magazine....

Tessa is a Street and Smith All America Honorable Mention!!

SDSUHuskies
10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
She was also an HM last year too! A special player..NDSU cashed in :) even if she doesn't start, if Wilka's coming off the bench, you know NDSU is going to be good

NoDakSt
12-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Tessa had 18 points getting half of those from beyond the arc, as O'Gorman downed Sturgis, 57-36.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612090317

NoDakSt
12-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Tessa had 14 points (including 4 fer 4 from beyond the arc) and 5 assists in O'Gorman's win over Spearfish, 68-30.

NoDakSt
12-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Tessa had 19 points and 6 boards as O'Gorman won in OT 59-56 against Pierre.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612160344

NoDakSt
12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Another 19 point effort for Tessa as O'Gorman downed Aberdeen Central.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612170342

NoDakSt
12-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Tessa Wilka had 14 points (3-4 from downtown) as O'Gorman edged Roosevelt 48-46. It was a rematch of last year's SD AA title game but this time Wilka's team won to go 5-1 on the year. Link has a pic of Wilka:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2006/12/ipt/1166766121.jpg

NoDakSt
01-06-2007, 07:39 PM
January 5, 2007

Tessa had 15 points in O'Gorman's one point win over Rapid City Stevens.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701060325

NoDakSt
01-07-2007, 03:46 PM
January 6, 2007

Tessa was a perfect 4-4 from downtown as she scored 23 points in O'gorman's 64-52 win over Rapid City Central.

JackJD
03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Tessa had 19 points and 6 boards as O'Gorman won in OT *59-56 against Pierre.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612160344

Pierre got revenge at the State Tourney.

It seems NoDakSt has been Tessa Wilka's biggest fan on this message board...and perhaps NoDakSt tired of posting. *In any event, I saw your recruit, Wilka, play in the SD State Basketball Tourney. *Her team was surprised in the second round by a very, very scrappy Pierre group which won in a manner reminiscent of SDSU's last-second shot at U of Minnesota...although there was no question there were a few ticks (but not many) on the clock when Pierre got a gal loose under the basket.

Wilka is an excellent player and I think she'll be very successful in college. *She was clearly the smoothest player on the floor during the games I watched.

Sioux Falls O'Gorman, Wilka's team, finished third in the tourney.

GopherFan
03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I also attended the AA tounament in Watertown,SD. She was easily the best player there. Having followed the Minnesota AAU programs the last six years and talking to various coaches, there were more than a few of them who were surprised that the Gophers never offered her. I've read a few of the posts speculating on the starting line-up for next year. I would be very surprised if she doesn't start next year as a true freshman.

JackJD
03-14-2007, 02:03 AM
GopherFan: You're right, Wilka probably the best on the floor in the AA tourney. She is definitely one of the top players in the senior class in SD but I wouldn't rate her the best player in SD. I would be surprised to see her start for the Bison, at least in the first half of the season. However, I think she's ready to play (no reason to red-shirt) and playing time with a better team around her will help her reach full potential.

For some reason, something that stood out when I watched Wilka play was her level of play in the last minute. She seemed to have the same energy level, the same skills, that she had in the first minute of play. She didn't wear down and fall apart. I think she'll be a good one.

JackJD
04-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Wilka named 1st team All-State in SD (6 members named to the team...including one who is going to suit up for the Jackrabbits next year, Schuttloffel.. Schuttloffel's brother is on the Bison football team).

NoDakSt
04-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Congrats to Tessa!!

sambini
04-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Glad she is going to be a BISON++++