PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota's bleeding has stopped

TheBisonator
12-22-2004, 06:59 AM
And only a growth of 966 people, and Vermont and Wyoming are catching our coattails in the rankings. We're still 7,834 in the red compared to 2000. This growth is not enough, IMO, and it has only been for one year (unlike the 6 years of decline preceding it). We were the only state in the US that was losing people in this time period (1997-2003), and it wasn't just a trickle. It was bleeding.

Unfortunately, I still feel that in the future, the day will come where North Dakota is the least-populated state.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=78679&section=news

BisBison
12-24-2004, 04:13 AM
I disagree. Fargo is booming as well as Bismarck-Mandan. Sure the small towns are lossing but that's not just in ND. Check out rural America anywhere else, even in MN if not near a metro area. The energy development in ND's west will stop out-migration there for quite a while IMO.

KTF
12-24-2004, 05:14 AM
I agree that fargo is booming however the only jobs available pay $7-8/hr. When I graduated from SU last year, I was unable to obtain interviews/job offers from any company in ND that paid more than this. Thus I had to move to a large metro area of MN.

If ND is going to grow it has to provide better paying jobs and promote the recent college grads.

I worked for a ND based company that chose to hire experienced people from all over the nation instead of tapping the local talent that is being educated with their tax dollars. I can only blame it on the fact that he was a UND grad and was driving his company into the ground!!!

insane_ponderer
12-24-2004, 05:46 AM
well there certainly isnt any doubt that all the rural areas are dying, and it is kinda a shame but thats just the way it goes.

if north dakota is going to continue to grow, the majority of the population is going to be in fargo, and if thats the case ndsu has a golden opportunity to capitalize.

the tech park is definently going to be a good thing, but hopefully the rest of the state realizes the amazing amount of potential the graduates of ndsu have and starts to do something about it.

i would love to stay in fargo after i graduate, but with a microbiology and biotechnology degree my options are pretty limited, i honestly believe alot of graduates would stay if the jobs were there.

IowaBison
12-27-2004, 01:57 PM
I agree that fargo is booming however the only jobs available pay $7-8/hr. *When I graduated from SU last year, I was unable to obtain interviews/job offers from any company in ND that paid more than this. *Thus I had to move to a large metro area of MN.

If ND is going to grow it has to provide better paying jobs and promote the recent college grads. *

I worked for a ND based company that chose to hire experienced people from all over the nation instead of tapping the local talent that is being educated with their tax dollars. *I can only blame it on the fact that he was a UND grad and was driving his company into the ground!!!

Don't know what you're talking about with the 7 to 8 dollar an hour jobs. *The increase in median per capita income is based on growth in Cass County alone.

Didn't someone warn you about getting a philosophy degree, KTF? ;)

Pay is low, but so is the cost of living.