PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Union rennovation/expansion

TheBisonator
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
I was walking through the MU today on my way to class, and I happened to see a big model depicting a supposed project they're going to have for expanding the Memorial Union. The plan is to expand on all four sides, but the biggest addition would be on the east side (2, maybe 3 stories?), which looks to be at least 20,000 square feet in surface area. New entanceways would be added on the north and south sides, and another medium-sized addition (2 stories) would be added on the west side facing Ladd Hall.

Anyone know anymore about this project?? If you have the opportunity, go to the Memorial Union to check it out.

insane_ponderer
01-18-2005, 07:43 PM
yeah, its gonna be a big project. its going to start in the spring and its gonna go till 2007, but they are going to keep the union open the whole time while they are expanding.

the basement is going to be much bigger with more dining space and a few more fast food options, the ground floor is going to have all of the offices that are currently upstairs (i.e. student govt, campus attractions, etc.)

the varsity mart is going to be much bigger and the art gallery is going to be upstairs with a gift shop and a much larger auditorium.

there are color copies floating around in the union as well as the model by the copy shop.

TheBisonator
01-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Cool. I'm gonna go there and see if I can find a copy. :)

mikelsch
01-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Link to the Wellness Center expansion...very impressive. Same as the Union expansion, supported by student fees.

http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/expansion/ppoint_schematic.pdf

NDSU_grad
01-18-2005, 08:45 PM
How are they going to expand on the west? Isn't it pretty close to the street right now, or will they just be expanding up?

IowaBison
01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Nope, they've got a couple hundred feet before the Wellness center hits the road on the west, looks pretty nice (Not Iowa State nice, but pretty nice).

NDSU_grad
01-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Nope, they've got a couple hundred feet before the Wellness center hits the road on the west, looks pretty nice (Not Iowa State nice, but pretty nice).

I was actually talking about the Union expansion; I should have made that clear. Despite having an office within 5 minutes walking distance of Lied I never ventured over there. Too busy, you know ;).
But it sure is impressive from the outside.

The NDSU wellness center expansion is impressive as well. Will they get rid of the racquetball courts in the BSA once the courts are finished at the wellness center. Maybe that could free space for additional weight rooms.

IowaBison
01-18-2005, 09:52 PM
As far the Union, I imagine they are going UP? Somebody clarify if they know.

I walked by the Union half an hour ago, I try not to go in, I feel like an old geezer.

With regards to the Union, they need the road to the west for service deliveries and the pavillion on the east would be a horrible thing to destroy, though it's usually just a giant snow bowl.

Till
01-18-2005, 10:03 PM
As for the "snow bowl" to the east of the union, they have sort of moved it to where the two pools used to be by minard and south engineering. There's some tiered seating and a little waterfall/river thing that meanders around the place. Could be a nice, albeit small place for band day and the like.

roadwarrior
01-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Some powerpoint presentations:

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/memorial_union/expansion/

insane_ponderer
01-19-2005, 01:48 AM
most of the building is going to go on the east side where the "snowbowl" is. they are going to be temporarily putting churchill field out of commission because they need to build an access road from university to get equpment in, but they will put it back to normal when the union is complete. the only reason they are working on the west and south sides is because they need new entry ways due to fire and capacity codes etc.

bisonranch
01-19-2005, 02:13 AM
As for the "snow bowl" to the east of the union, they have sort of moved it to where the two pools used to be by minard and south engineering. *There's some tiered seating and a little waterfall/river thing that meanders around the place. *Could be a nice, albeit small place for band day and the like.

The soapy bubbling color changing ponds with fountains are gone??

Bisonguy
01-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Sheesh, next thing you guys are going to say is that the Taco Bell Express is no longer in the Union. ::)

The "snow bowl" made for a nice obstacle for some urban mountain biking. ;D

roadwarrior
01-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Didnt that "snow bowl" also act as a waterfall feeder to the lower level during the heavy summer rains a few years ago ?

insane_ponderer
01-19-2005, 02:00 PM
yeah...they said in their presentation that they are going to try to landscape around the union so that water goes away from it. (smart thinking guys) ;)

scottheck
01-25-2005, 05:44 AM
Sheesh, next thing you guys are going to say is that the Taco Bell Express is no longer in the Union. *::)

The "snow bowl" made for a nice obstacle for some urban mountain biking. *;D

Actually, there are 6 planned alternative dining concepts. You can probably guess which major names will be there...