PDA

View Full Version : An interesting article...

Tuk
02-09-2005, 07:49 AM
A little article from the Spectrum on football attendance by the students and their level of support. Pretty accurate if you ask me...

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/s-0208-Silenceof.htm

Spectrum from 2-8-05

Silence of the Bison
Do we even have a student section?

By Keith Dickhudt
Guest Columnist

Bison fans are courteous. Bison fans are considerate. Bison fans are well-mannered. Most of all, Bison fans are QUIET. Where as all of these expressions would make Tiger Woods smile, they make me sick.

I sat though an entire football season and watched fans not show up to a free game. That team was good, arguably could have been undefeated. Yet the only game where a decent sea of yellow showed up was for the Valparaiso game, where they gave away free t-shirts, and even then the crowd was gone by halftime.

I thought, okay, maybe this is due to the transitional period into D1. Give them time.

We are now in the later portion of the winter season’s activities and still nothing has picked up. There are a handful of students that come to a game, but I say it is the parents who are the better fans. At least they wear the school colors and yell some things once in a while.

Here at NDSU, when one attends a sporting event, it is simply another social hour. Pathetic. When was the last time anyone has turned on a television and seen a college basketball game? Look at their student sections: dressed the same, hoarse after games, chanting when opponents have the ball.

Ch-an-ting? Sound it out, yes it is a word, even in Fargo. What I wouldn’t give for one lousy “de-fence” chant with a tie ballgame in the second half.

Where is the “Bison Brigade?” Am I mistaken in thinking the point of that group is to attend those games, wear the shirts and make a ruckus? I have not heard of them all year.

Swany pointed out in an earlier column that attendance was one of the factors in landing a bid for a Big Sky conference berth. Something that looks like it has passed, as of now.

Screaming, yelling and hoot n’ hollering are all what makes up the sixth man (or woman) in many sports. In a book written by Coach K of Duke University, he calls the Cameron Crazies his 6th man and even tells them before games specifically what to yell at opponents. He said that because of their incessant yelling, the 6th man even won a particular game for them by causing a crucial turnover.

So why are we so calm and mild-mannered? Coming to an athletic event as a college student or faculty allows us to let lose, be free and have a good time. We should be so loud that opponents on the court or field can’t think. Aside from a few drunken ramblings, we are all uptight observers, not true Bison fans.

Let’s make it official. I am calling out each and every person at NDSU. What we have displayed this year at football, volleyball, basketball and every other event has been disgraceful. Come out in numbers, show some class, show some pride and above all let the Herd be heard. After all, the strength of the Herd is the Bison, and the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Bison_Dan
02-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Right on target! ;D ;D

Tatanka
02-11-2005, 01:26 AM
DING!!!