PDA

View Full Version : Big huge development taking shape in SW Fargo

TheBisonator
02-11-2005, 09:14 PM
It's a huge new development in southwest Fargo called "The Crossing" on the northeast corner of 45th Street and 32nd Avenue. The only news I have ever seen of it is the following pic from the website of the developer (Schlossman).

The thing is that they've already completed the first phase of the project with the completion of an apartment building on site, which is the first residential construction in the new and emerging Anderson Park neighbourhood. It's the apartment building that's on the most far-left in the cluster of apartments in this pic. if you've driven down 32nd or 45th, you may have seen it.

It looks like the master plan is to build a small "lifestyle centre" on the site complete with over a dozen stores, including a Pottery Barn, a CompUSA, a Starbucks, and some other stores.

The thing is that I haven't heard or read any news on this development. But I know this thing exists, and that it's not a dead proposal, because they've already completed the first phase of it.

If any of you drive on 45th St. or 32nd Ave. southwest and see that nice big apartment building on the northeast corner, you'll know that's where the whole thing will be.

I personally think it's gonna be pretty sweet. We desperately need another computer store in the F-M area.

http://www.schlossman.com/SGPLS/CROSSINGS/TheCrossing.jpg

greenandgold01
02-11-2005, 09:16 PM
CompUSA is a niche store. As far as consumer electronics go (including computers), I think Best Buy and Circuit City have things under control.

TheBisonator
02-11-2005, 09:21 PM
CompUSA is strictly computer-related, but for me personally, it might be better than Best Buy, because they have more specialized knowledge, and I take very good care of my computer, and need to occasionaly perform certain maintenance on it.

For example, if I needed the opinion from a computer expert on the perfect anti-virus, anti-spyware program for my particular computer, I'd probably be better off asking someone at CompUSA than Best Buy or OfficeMax.

greenandgold01
02-11-2005, 09:28 PM
CompUSA is strictly computer-related, but for me personally, it might be better than Best Buy, because they have more specialized knowledge, and I take very good care of my computer, and need to occasionaly perform certain maintenance on it.

For example, if I needed the opinion from a computer expert on the perfect anti-virus, anti-spyware program for my particular computer, I'd probably be better off asking someone at CompUSA than Best Buy or OfficeMax.

Office Max is also a niche store. They specialize in non computer office supplies.

Best Buy does have the "Geek Squad". Haha.

Bisonguy
02-11-2005, 09:54 PM
CompUSA is a niche store. As far as consumer electronics go (including computers), I think Best Buy and Circuit City have things under control.

I wouldn't mind seeing some competition for Best Buy in Fargo. :-/

Best Buy can really take it to people if they don't know what they're paying for. EX.- I can buy compact flash cards for my new camera from reputable stores online (that actually have mortar stores, as well) and get a card twice the size for nearly the same price Best Buy is charging (same brand and series).

greenandgold01
02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing some competition for Best Buy in Fargo. :-/

Best Buy can really take it to people if they don't know what they're paying for. EX.- I can buy compact flash cards for my new camera from reputable stores online (that actually have mortar stores, as well) and get a card twice the size for nearly the same price Best Buy is charging (same brand and series).

Circuit City.

Bisonguy
02-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Circuit City.

Exactly.

Tatanka
02-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Exactly.

++

TheBisonator
02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
I'd also like to see a Circuit City open in Fargo as well. And an Office Depot. And a Costco. And a Petsmart. And a DSW Shoe Warehouse.

Amazingly, there's still quite a few businesses that exist in other cities of similar size that haven't arrived in Fargo yet.

insane_ponderer
02-14-2005, 01:48 PM
i just hope it doesn't affect whats going on downtown with all the new little stores down there.

greenandgold01
02-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I'd also like to see a Circuit City open in Fargo as well. And an Office Depot. And a Costco. And a Petsmart. And a DSW Shoe Warehouse.

Amazingly, there's still quite a few businesses that exist in other cities of similar size that haven't arrived in Fargo yet.

Costco has great pizza.

TheBisonator
02-14-2005, 02:35 PM
i just hope it doesn't affect whats going on downtown with all the new little stores down there.

I agree wholeheartedly on that. We still need to focus on downtown growth. Hopefully more well-known businesses will locate downtown as well, giving it a nice mixture of small and chain businesses. For example, I had heard that a Quizno's opened (or was opening) on Broadway, but I drove down there and didn't see one. If one opens there, I hope it will be soon.

I hope downtown will be able to attract more than just the young urban-professional crowd with all the cool, funky small businesses it has right now. I hope there can eventually be a healthy mix of chain businesses alongside the independent stores, so that the more older, middle-class suburban and even farmer crowd won't be as intimidated by downtown, and will feel comfortable going there.

I think that's the reason a lot of older people have been turned away, because it seems downtown Fargo has become too funky and exotic for their tastes. If there can be an influx of chain businesses on Broadway and other parts of downtown (Quizno's, Starbucks, Subway, Breugger's Bagels, etc.) as well as the small shops, then I think it will be a place that more groups of people can enjoy.

By the way, now that I'm on the subject, can someone PLEASE tell me why Fargo-Moorhead, an urban area of 160,000 and a metro area of 190,000, does NOT have a single bagel place?? You'd THINK that Breugger's would have opened up an outpost here at least 10 years ago.

My parents came to visit me recently (they're the quintessential bourgeois urban yuppie types), and they were SHOCKED that there was no place where they could go in this city to pick up fresh bagels for the next morning. They were complaining about it the whole time they were visiting, and I didn't blame them at all. I mean, think about it: Fargo has a sushi restaurant, a couple martini bars, an African market, a Cambodian/East Asian market and a French bakery, yet there's no place where you can get a fresh bagel?? It's INSANE.

Sorry to get off the topic a little bit. Just something on my mind.

IowaBison
02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
there is a bagel place somewhere in south fargo, my wife goes there to get asiago cheese bagels once every few months.
there used to be one on main & 25th but it went under about 4-5 years ago.

*there are actually two borna's and boppa's

tony
02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
I thought there were still some bagel shops around (Borna's and Boppa's?). I didn't go looking last time I was in town.

With few exceptions, I really don't care for the blandness of national chains (coorporate cuisine for those who think flour paste is too spicy and cheese wiz is the ultimate dairy product). Regional or low volumne chains - well, I don't mind them nearly so much.

I hate to say it, but that development looks like a strip mall surrounding low income housing... putting a bunch of chains in it will just reinforce that opinion. At least Maple Grove tried to manufacture something that looks like a downtown.

Maybe we should cherish all the unique places in whatever town we live in, and especially those that try to develop a local flavor or use local produce.

Oh well, I'm probably not qualified to be a social critic. Can't blame business guys (too much) for giving people what they want.

greenandgold01
02-14-2005, 03:57 PM
I thought there were still some bagel shops around (Borna's and Boppa's?). I didn't go looking last time I was in town.

With few exceptions, I really don't care for the blandness of national chains (coorporate cuisine for those who think flour paste is too spicy and cheese wiz is the ultimate dairy product). Regional or low volumne chains - well, I don't mind them nearly so much.

I hate to say it, but that development looks like a strip mall surrounding low income housing... putting a bunch of chains in it will just reinforce that opinion. At least Maple Grove tried to manufacture something that looks like a downtown.

Maybe we should cherish all the unique places in whatever town we live in, and especially those that try to develop a local flavor or use local produce.

Oh well, I'm probably not qualified to be a social critic. Can't blame business guys (too much) for giving people what they want.

Are you talking about that Arbor Lakes or whatever that huge strip mall is off of 94? That thing is massive. I think they have every type of national store that exists there.

greenandgold01
02-14-2005, 03:58 PM
I agree wholeheartedly on that. We still need to focus on downtown growth. Hopefully more well-known businesses will locate downtown as well, giving it a nice mixture of small and chain businesses. For example, I had heard that a Quizno's opened (or was opening) on Broadway, but I drove down there and didn't see one. If one opens there, I hope it will be soon.

I hope downtown will be able to attract more than just the young urban-professional crowd with all the cool, funky small businesses it has right now. I hope there can eventually be a healthy mix of chain businesses alongside the independent stores, so that the more older, middle-class suburban and even farmer crowd won't be as intimidated by downtown, and will feel comfortable going there.

I think that's the reason a lot of older people have been turned away, because it seems downtown Fargo has become too funky and exotic for their tastes. If there can be an influx of chain businesses on Broadway and other parts of downtown (Quizno's, Starbucks, Subway, Breugger's Bagels, etc.) as well as the small shops, then I think it will be a place that more groups of people can enjoy.

By the way, now that I'm on the subject, can someone PLEASE tell me why Fargo-Moorhead, an urban area of 160,000 and a metro area of 190,000, does NOT have a single bagel place?? You'd THINK that Breugger's would have opened up an outpost here at least 10 years ago.

My parents came to visit me recently (they're the quintessential bourgeois urban yuppie types), and they were SHOCKED that there was no place where they could go in this city to pick up fresh bagels for the next morning. They were complaining about it the whole time they were visiting, and I didn't blame them at all. I mean, think about it: Fargo has a sushi restaurant, a couple martini bars, an African market, a Cambodian/East Asian market and a French bakery, yet there's no place where you can get a fresh bagel?? It's INSANE.

Sorry to get off the topic a little bit. Just something on my mind.

I don't think Fargo's "downtown" (if you want to even call it that) will ever be like Mpls. or Saint Paul.

The shopping is at West Acres. Nothing is going to change that now.

Herd_Mentality
02-14-2005, 04:14 PM

Office Depot was in Fargo, they closed (see empty building behind Krispy Kreme on 45th).

I for one DO NOT want a Circuit City in Fargo. Build it in Moorhead. Since they don't have a store in ND, CC purchases online are TAX FREE. I've saved TONS of money because of this (price match to Best Buy and then not having to pay sales tax on the purchase).

IowaBison
02-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Office Depot was in Fargo, they closed (see empty building behind Krispy Kreme on 45th).

I for one DO NOT want a Circuit City in Fargo. *Build it in Moorhead. *Since they don't have a store in ND, CC purchases online are TAX FREE. *I've saved TONS of money because of this (price match to Best Buy and then not having to pay sales tax on the purchase).

you're still supposed to claim your items and pay use taxes if you buy things on the internet!

(do as i say not as i do ;))

NDSU_grad
02-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Boppa's bagels is in the little strip mall by Sunmart on the corner of 25th and 32nd. Bagels are fantastic. As far as I know it's the only bagel store in town. Fargo needs a Bruegger's and Panera's.

tony
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
greenandgold01, you mean in Maple Grove? No, last two times I was in The Cities, I went to Maple Grove and they had this downtown area... it looks like a Disney version of a real downtown - varied store fronts along a main avenue with parking to the rear of the store fronts. Instead of national chains, they had things like a faux Irish pub and some smaller chains. They also were putting up some townhouses and stuff nearby so you could (imagine this!) walk a couple blocks to a neighborhood pub or restaurant, do your shopping, and then walk home.

Heck, I found an article about it. (http://www.mspmag.com/feature.asp?featureid=2852) They probably do a better job of explaining the concept.

This development in Fargo seems to have some of the same qualities, but I personally prefer Maple Grove's implementation. Of course, that's not to say that Fargo's won't make money... I wish them luck.

Herd_Mentality
02-14-2005, 06:11 PM
you're still supposed to claim your items and pay use taxes if you buy things on the internet!

(do as i say not as i do ;))

Ha ha ha ha....I imagine you pay the "email tax" to subsidize the US Post Office as well.

I drove by the Sensory Overload Arena in GF yesterday. I love how you spend that much money on an arena and instead of putting in parking, you pack the immediate area with condos on a coulee that floods every year, a strip mall and a gas station. Now that is planning.

IowaBison
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
http://www.state.nd.us/taxdpt/salesanduse/forms/use-tax.pdf

Q: When am I responsible for the payment of use tax?
A: When purchasing tangible personal property through the mail, by catalog or over the internet for use, storage or consumption in the state of North Dakota, you are responsible for North Dakota use tax on the cost of the purchases.

I don't know what you're laughing at. ;)

Bison_Dan
02-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Ha ha ha ha....I imagine you pay the "email tax" to subsidize the US Post Office as well.

I drove by the Sensory Overload Arena in GF yesterday. *I love how you spend that much money on an arena and instead of putting in parking, you pack the immediate area with condos on a coulee that floods every year, a strip mall and a gas station. *Now that is planning.

Better yet build the betty for only 4000 fans!! What a bone headed move. If you have the money for 4000 why not build it for the future and put in 6000-7000 seats. Everyone says that the rea is rotten for bb.

dakotadan
02-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I drove by the Sensory Overload Arena in GF yesterday. *I love how you spend that much money on an arena and instead of putting in parking, you pack the immediate area with condos on a coulee that floods every year, a strip mall and a gas station. *Now that is planning.

What a stupid idea. Put services and stores in the University Village that students and faculty will want to use. Man, that is stupid! *:)

greenandgold01
02-14-2005, 09:27 PM
greenandgold01, you mean in Maple Grove? No, last two times I was in The Cities, I went to Maple Grove and they had this downtown area... it looks like a Disney version of a real downtown - varied store fronts along a main avenue with parking to the rear of the store fronts. Instead of national chains, they had things like a faux Irish pub and some smaller chains. They also were putting up some townhouses and stuff nearby so you could (imagine this!) walk a couple blocks to a neighborhood pub or restaurant, do your shopping, and then walk home.

Heck, I found an article about it. (http://www.mspmag.com/feature.asp?featureid=2852) They probably do a better job of explaining the concept.

This development in Fargo seems to have some of the same qualities, but I personally prefer Maple Grove's implementation. Of course, that's not to say that Fargo's won't make money... I wish them luck.

Ahh, interesting.

You know of the place I'm talking about though, right?

Herd_Mentality
02-14-2005, 11:09 PM
What a stupid idea. Put services and stores in the University Village that students and faculty will want to use. Man, that is stupid! *:)

An arena without parking isn't stupid? It's good to know that a Curves for Women and a Supercuts are considered student services.

Bisonguy
02-15-2005, 12:11 AM
And a DSW Shoe Warehouse.

Slow down there. Maybe a purse warehouse, then a shoe warehouse a few years later. ;) ;D :P

tony
02-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Ahh, interesting.

You know of the place I'm talking about though, right?

I think I do... a big outlet mall type deal? I've never been there but it seems like I almost got roped into going there once.

greenandgold01
02-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I think I do... a big outlet mall type deal? I've never been there but it seems like I almost got roped into going there once.

The place I was talking about is in Maple Grove.

Bison7925
02-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I think you are talking about the outlet center in Albertville.

tony
02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Ah, that's probably what I was thinking of (the outlet mall in Albertville).

There sure has been a lot of development in Maple Grove (huge place) - some of it is interesting, some of it looked like it was planned by monkeys.

Herd_Mentality
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Maple Grove built a "mall" but it's an "outdoor mall" meaning that all the store fronts are outside and there's no enclosed area full of kiosks and such like at west acres. They're asthetically pleasing but not such a great use of land.

tony
02-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm just bitter because on a couple of occasions I have tried to get from I-94 to the Famous Daves or the donut place in Maple Grove only to find that to get to these places, a guy has to negotiate a veritable maze of poorly-marked intersections, roads that end in parking lots, and that kind of urban-sprawl crud.

My First Rule of City Planning: do not put needless obstacles between a hungry guy and his donuts and ribs. :)

IowaBison
02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm just bitter because on a couple of occasions I have tried to get from I-94 to the Famous Daves or the donut place in Maple Grove only to find that to get to these places, a guy has to negotiate a veritable maze of poorly-marked intersections, roads that end in parking lots, and that kind of urban-sprawl crud.

My First Rule of City Planning: do not put needless obstacles between a hungry guy and his donuts and ribs. :)

I agree with your observation on confusion. My brother, who gained experience doing the same thing in Fallujah, got lost both going to and trying to leave from a restaurant.

If there is a rise in insurgents in NW Hennepin County, I could imagine some serious sh-t goin down in the parking lots of Maple Grove.

JBB
02-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Take the 45th st. exit from I-94 and head south until you get to Daves, on the west side of 45th. The 45 th st. exit is the next exit west of the I-29/94 interchange.

greenandgold01
02-15-2005, 05:46 PM

Yes, that's the exact place I was referring to. You only see it as individual shops but it's actually a planned super sized strip mall. Someone above even called it an outdoor mall.

I think it's a neat place and the wave of the future for shopping centers. Each store gets to have it's own building that way.

greenandgold01
02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Take the 45th st. exit from I-94 and head south until you get to Daves, on the west side of 45th. The 45 th st. exit is the next exit west of the I-29/94 interchange.

He was talking about Mpls.

Herd_Mentality
02-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Weird, we talk about Office Depot one day...and they decide to come back to Fargo a few days later.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=83524&section=business

Hmmmm...what else should we ask for?

greenandgold01
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Weird, we talk about Office Depot one day...and they decide to come back to Fargo a few days later.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=83524&section=business

Hmmmm...what else should we ask for?

Ikea.

TheBisonator
02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Ikea.

Magic Genie, I wish for..... A Saks Fifth Avenue!!!

tony
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Le Bernardin - Fargo :)