PDA

View Full Version : How are we doing so far?

JBB
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Here are some of the things the executive summary had to say way back in 2002. Interesting thing about the executive summary is the reference only to DI-AA. I wonder if it only addressed football? They never mentioned DI.

“NDSU's current budget is less than the average Division I-AA program and 18.7% or $1.18 million less than the average Big Sky Conference program's total expense budget. “ Division I Executive Summary 2002

Team Makers was $250 before the move, now its $300. Thats a 20% increase right there. Team Makers accounts for at least 10% of the total annual budget right now but it might be more with the increased giving.

I dont know if they increased student fees, but, at the time of the study NDSU student fees were contributing about 12% less than the national average. This is probably the largest single source of funds.

Football attendance was up by about 15% this yr and last yr too. The increase over two yrs is way over 18%.

BB attendance hung in there at about 1,500/game. This attendance drop off was anticipated in the transition budget. Next year when we have some DI clubs coming in 1,800/game is a 20% increase. I think youll see that and a lot more. As our programs mature and start to work themselves into the scheduling of the division you can only be optomistic about the scheduling opportunities yet to come.

“Regardless of NCAA classification, Athletics should develop a football "scheduling criteria" that reflects the Department's financial goals.” Division I Executive Summary 2002

We had several lower division teams at home last season and a nice slate of DI-AA clubs and led the nation in attendance for DII. We have Mankato on the schedule this yr, hopefully they will get 10-12,000. That would be a good game consistent with the departments financial goals. The much talked about Gopher game will too, or for that matter Troy State. It doesnt hurt to still have 2 open dates for next season.

I know there is more to it than this, but from this perspective I think things are working well. I noticed the club hockey team is getting a little over $46,000 from student fees this yr.

roadwarrior
02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Two things:

The $300 level of Teammakers has been $300 for several years. No increase was made for the D-I move.

The amount of money from student fees has increased somewhat, BUT the amount that EACH student pays each semester has NOT changed due to the D-I move. The increase comes from the growth in enrollment.

Bisonguy
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I thought the Team Makers levels changed last year? ???

The website still has what were the old levels, but I thought they are now $100, $250, $500, $1000, etc.....

roadwarrior
02-22-2005, 09:58 PM
You are correct Bisonguy. The cutoffs for the levels actually were REDUCED in 2004 and more levels were added. Bottom line is that the members give what they want to, we are only encouraged to upgrade to a higher level.

IowaBison
02-23-2005, 04:14 PM
i heard from a little birdie that the system is going to change next year as the folks who have been members for a while are going to be 'asked' to increase their contributions if they want to keep their 'good' seats.

JBB
02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
One thing for sure Team Makers saw an increase of over $300,000. Thats more than the 18% needed to make the move.

tony
02-23-2005, 06:24 PM
I think what roadwarrior said was that the minimum level remained unchanged at $300 - I thought that it had been at that level since the Fargodome opened. Maybe they did have it at $250 last year because it sure seems like they dropped the cost for some of the other levels.

A lot of people are going to going to get crazy angry if NDSU raises the Team Maker minimum - that's a given - but even if NDSU stayed in DII, it's ridiculous to think that Team Makers could keep the cost of dues at 1990 levels indefinitely and still accomplish their purpose.

Obviously, it's going to be a tough choice for some people but if Team Makers increases their membership requirements it's because Team Makers decided to raise them.

JBB
02-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Yea, I know what Roadwarrior said, I was just commenting on total giving this yr. It tells us how we are doing over all, and I would say very well.

Ive been a Team Maker member since 1992 and I guess I dont even know what I pay. You can probably count me in the bunch that wouldnt mind an increase in either ticket price or membership, or both.

I do know I increased my membership contribution by $50 when they announced the move so thats been the last 2 yrs.

Bisonguy
02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I think what roadwarrior said was that the minimum level remained unchanged at $300 - I thought that it had been at that level since the Fargodome opened. Maybe they did have it at $250 last year because it sure seems like they dropped the cost for some of the other levels.

A lot of people are going to going to get crazy angry if NDSU raises the Team Maker minimum - that's a given - but even if NDSU stayed in DII, it's ridiculous to think that Team Makers could keep the cost of dues at 1990 levels indefinitely and still accomplish their purpose.

Obviously, it's going to be a tough choice for some people but if Team Makers increases their membership requirements it's because Team Makers decided to raise them.

The minimum contribution level is only $100, and has been for quite a few years. At this level, you can get seats in sections 4, 21, or 32. At the $250 level you can get two seats in section 3, 20, or 33. If the $500 level is the same as the previous $600 level, you can get up to four seats in the same section as the $250 level.