PDA

View Full Version : Mike McFeely Lite

Bisonguy
03-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Mike McFeely Lite- Now with 50% less Bison criticism!

Arena needs Bison hoops, not hockey or football (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=86848&section=Columnists&columnist=Mi ke%20McFeely)

Some good stuff in there about the downtown arena and the Bison football schedule.

See, Mike's not always criticisizing NDSU. *::)

......Comment: I don't believe NDSU has anything to do with the arena. Unfortunately. Because the Bison basketball programs remain, by about a million miles, the best option as a main tenant for any new arena built in Fargo. With the stubborn emphasis on ice-based events, NDSU could play only a handful of games in the new building (if it even wanted to play that many). That's why, from this chair, the project will continue to be viewed as unnecessary. For $40 million, the city's biggest draw has to be involved as the major tenant....

NDSU's football schedule next fall should bring this reaction from fans: Where do I buy tickets?

It should bring this reaction from Bison coaches: Help!

There is no question the move to Division I-AA has beefed up NDSU's football schedule immeasurably from what it was in Division II. The addition of powerhouse Southern Illinois this week provided the exclamation point.

But now this question needs to be asked: When are the Bison going to get a breather?..........

........Comment: Taylor still needs to schedule a home opener for Sept. 3. Two words, Gene: Montana Tech. Do it for the coaches' and players' sake. And, given the 10 games already on the docket, I promise there will not be one sarcastic or derogatory word written.......

TheBisonator
03-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm a big supporter of the arena project, but I do agree that they need to start weighing the option of having Bison basketball as a main tennant. It isn't hard to turn a hockey rink into a basketball court conifiguration, just look at the Target Center. Don't use the REA as a model for this kind of configuration between sports floors in the new arena. This is what they should do at the very least, then NDSU might want to think about setting up shop in the new arena for the hoops programs.

KTF
03-25-2005, 09:26 PM
I was surprised by McFeely's artcle this morning, too. The line about not criticizing NDSU Football per the schedule was interesting, wonder if he will stick to it? Wonder what made him turn a corner?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-25-2005, 09:42 PM
People had posted earlier this year saying that moving games farther from the dorms would hurt student turn-out. Do you think having the home games downtown would take its toll on student turn out or would it work its way out?
I would think they could shuttle students from the dorms, bars, wherever to the arena if that was a problem, couldn't they?

Bisonguy
03-25-2005, 09:44 PM
I was surprised by McFeely's artcle this morning, too. The line about not criticizing NDSU Football per the schedule was interesting, wonder if he will stick to it? *Wonder what made him turn a corner?

If you hear him on the radio (he now has his own show on WDAY-AM from 10AM-noon on saturdays- mainly a golf show now that the weather is better), he's not nearly as opinionated as his columns.

His job is to write columns that get people talking, and present a differing voice at times. If he wrote more like a beat writer it would be like having a debate where both sides agree.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-25-2005, 09:47 PM
If you hear him on the radio (he now has his own show on WDAY-AM from 10AM-noon on saturdays- mainly a golf show now that the weather is better), he's not nearly as opinionated as his columns.

His job is to write columns that get people talking, and present a differing voice at times. If he wrote more like a beat writer it would be like having a debate where both sides agree.

So he's kind of like a court appointed public defense attorney, nobody likes them but someone's got to do the job!

Bisonguy
03-25-2005, 09:49 PM
People had posted earlier this year saying that moving games farther from the dorms would hurt student turn-out. *Do you think having the home games downtown would take its toll on student turn out or would it work its way out?
I would think they could shuttle students from the dorms, bars, wherever to the arena if that was a problem, couldn't they?

That's one of my biggest concerns about the arena if NDSU were to play BB there. The other major one is finances. There was something a few days ago on the WDAY news that NDSU does not want to be paying rent at another athletic facility.

I like the idea of the arena to help out downtown Fargo, but I would prefer an arena of about 8,000-10,000 attached to the Fargodome.

Why not build a nice performing arts center downtown? That would seem to jive more with what downtown is all about.

JBB
03-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Fargo needs the arena.

NDSU can move to the FFD for big BB games. *NDSU isnt part of this. *The new hockey Team will do well in the new arena, concerts will do well, BB might even appear on the floor. *Its multipurpose, but not for NDSU unless we get hockey going. *Its for the city, and the city needs it.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Fargo needs the arena.

NDSU can move to the FFD for big BB games. *NDSU isnt part of this. *The new hockey Team will do well in the new arena, concerts will do well, BB might even appear on the floor. *Its multipurpose, but not for NDSU unless we get hockey going. *Its for the city, and the city needs it.

Do you have something to back this up? Haven't the hockey teams done very poorly in the past? Are concerts drawing well at the Civic, or what concerts do you speak of? Just some questions, not trying to be negative, I'm just looking for some answers, thanks.

greenandgold01
03-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Do you have something to back this up? Haven't the hockey teams done very poorly in the past? Are concerts drawing well at the Civic, or what concerts do you speak of? Just some questions, not trying to be negative, I'm just looking for some answers, thanks.

Are we talking about the Fargo junior team?

bisononce
03-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Don't push SU sports to downtown. Look at Minneapolis' poor example. The Holtz era power brokers tore down Memorial Stadium and forced Gopher football to the dome. The off campus atmosphere is sterile. And now U of M types are clamoring for a new stadium - on campus. And right across the street from the old stadium... IRONY. Yes, this is football versus basketball/ hockey, but I say it's the same negative "path."

greenandgold01
03-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Don't push SU sports to downtown. Look at Minneapolis' poor example. The Holtz era power brokers tore down Memorial Stadium and forced Gopher football to the dome. The off campus atmosphere is sterile. And now U of M types are clamoring for a new stadium - on campus. And right across the street from the old stadium... IRONY. Yes, this is football versus basketball/ hockey, but I say it's the same negative "path."

Exactly.