PDA

View Full Version : I don't know why you think this project will fail:

TheBisonator
03-23-2005, 06:37 AM
The Renaissance Centre project seems to be picking up a lot of steam and has no sign of slowing down.

Here's the latest story: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=86663&section=News

I personally think the project will get a 60 percent vote. I will be voting for it on May 3rd.

BisBison
03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
The Renaissance Centre project seems to be picking up a lot of steam and has no sign of slowing down.

Here's the latest story: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=86663&section=News

I personally think the project will get a 60 percent vote. I will be voting for it on May 3rd.

I just wish it had a home for Bisonbb :( :(

TheBisonator
03-23-2005, 03:26 PM
I think because it will be a multipurpose facility (hockey, concerts, trade shows) that it will also be built to be configured for basketball. If it seats 6,500 for hockey, then you just have to add an additional 1,200-1,500 seats for basketball configuration (pull-out bleachers on sides and ends), so the arena would seat 7,700-8,000 for basketball. I think that would be a great capacity for a new home for Bison hoops.

greenandgold01
03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
I think because it will be a multipurpose facility (hockey, concerts, trade shows) that it will also be built to be configured for basketball. If it seats 6,500 for hockey, then you just have to add an additional 1,200-1,500 seats for basketball configuration (pull-out bleachers on sides and ends), so the arena would seat 7,700-8,000 for basketball. I think that would be a great capacity for a new home for Bison hoops.

I would hope that a new hoops facility would be on campus.

roadwarrior
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
If this project is approved, the design will most likely change anyway. The City of Fargo and the Fargodome Authority will be in charge of design, size etc of the proposed arena. What we see in the paper today is just a concept.

When we were preparing to vote on the Fargodome, we were given a concept that it would look like the Tacoma Dome, which is round. After hiring the architects and looking at different proposals we ended up with the Fargodome as we see it today.

Bison_Dan
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I would hope that a new hoops facility would be on campus.

I don't think that Gene will want to play anywhere but on campus for bb. I think there is a lesson to be learned from up north. The rea isn't a very good venue for bb. Another lesson is if you look at und they have no facilities for fb, bb, volleyball, hockey that they control and that's a big big sore spot.

tony
03-23-2005, 08:53 PM
If NDSU is actually being thought of as the main tenant, then it would be much better in the long run to come out and say so from the beginning. However, I haven't heard it suggested by anybody involved with NDSU or this development about that being considered.

Moreover, I don't see what it adds to the private office/apartment development. Are they trying to tell me that people won't buy apartments or locate offices in downtown Fargo unless they have a 6,500 seat arena for peewee hockey next door? I don't see what one thing has to do with the other, and I gotta tell you, it really bothers me. Why are the developers so adamant that they have to have the arena so they can build offices and condos?

I'm not trying to say you should vote no, I'm just trying to figure out what in the world is going on here.

JBB
03-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Theres obvious need for an arena scaled between the civic center and the FFD. This is it. I dont think its any more or any less than its being sold to be. NDSU is not mentioned as a tennant and I dont believe they are commited in any way. This arena is a necessary fixture for the downtown and for Fargo. It will put an end to the hilarious center as concert hall and provide hockey, any hockey with a new venue, even the high school state tournament.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
It will put an end to the hilarious center as concert hall and provide hockey, any hockey with a new venue, even the high school state tournament.

I don't think the NDHSAA would be too eager to move the tourney out of arguably the nicest hockey facility in the country, do you?

JBB
03-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Yes, I dont think there is a lock on the location.

Bisonguy
03-23-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm not trying to say you should vote no, I'm just trying to figure out what in the world is going on here.

I am also trying to figure out what's going on. ???

I like the idea of a larger attraction to draw people downtown, but there's been too much smoke and mirrors on what exactly $40 MM will purchase for an arena. They have thrown out about four different seating capacities, with the latest being between 6-8,000. I just want them to at least have an idea of what they will build, so I can decide whether or not I will support it.

JBB
03-23-2005, 11:19 PM
You might remember that the Fabulous Fargo Dome design wasnt complete at the time of the vote either. The concept and the budget are the important things. the final design may not be finished for some time yet. Its a necessary public facility, its primary purpose will be concerts, semi-pro hockey and trade shows. Seating will be less than 10,000. After that draw all the pics you want but keep it at 40 million.

Trimmy
03-23-2005, 11:59 PM
I just don't see Fargoans going for this. *Didn't we vote down the dome the first time? *Maybe not, I thought so though. *Also, will this vote need 60%? *I would like a little better explanation of what this is going to be also. *I might want to save my vote for something that will directly benefit my favorite local 4-year university. *I can't imagine Fargo is going to be gung-ho about a hockey arena.

roadwarrior
03-24-2005, 12:17 AM
The Fargodome passed on its first try.

bisonranch
03-24-2005, 01:26 AM
There are a lot of improtant details missing. I can't understand why they're trying so hard for this arena. There is a need for more office type development in Fargo. When was the last big project (the Radisson) built? NDSU is out of the picture on the arena which is probably best in the long run. A semi-pro tennant or minor league hocky team won't last. The FM Beez were a flop, and how many minor league hockey teams have there been? There won't be a money making long term tennant as far as I can see. People in the area are interested in college hockey. This arena is dragging more practical development down.

Trimmy
03-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Well put B-Ranch.

DIBISON
03-26-2005, 06:11 AM
There was a good discussion last night on PTS on WDAY radio about the new arena. It centered on the fact that this is a project is being proposed by hockey boosters.

The discussion focused on the perception that Fargo is not a hockey town and that 3 USHL hockey teams have not made it in Fargo.

So the question brought forth was why is Fargo proposing to build a 6,500 arena for minor league hockey and ice skating shows?

Some of the participants felt that this type of arena should only be built and will only succeed if NDSU DI basketball is the main tenant. After all, if NDSU-SDSU basketball can garner over 6,000 fans in their transitional year with less than stellar teams, imagine what the future will look like!

Compare that possibility to a minor league hockey team that in the past draws 1,500 fans at best!!

Hammerhead
03-29-2005, 04:43 AM
I can't see building a new arena that doesn't hold at least 10,000 fans for DI basketball -- maybe more.

What is the true capacity of the BSA? Around 8,000?

Tatanka
03-30-2005, 02:58 AM
8000 warm bodies, yes, they could fit in the BSA, and as long as 6000 of them don't want concessions or have to use the restroom, they'll be comfortable as well.

sambini
03-30-2005, 03:20 AM
TATANKA YOUR RIGHT. THE BSA IS GOOD FOR 6 TO 8 K. BUT IF YOU WENT TO THE SDSU GAME CONCESSIONS WERE TERRIBLE. THEY WERE BETTER WHEN THE DINING SERVICES RAN THEM. THEY DIDN'T RUN OUT OF WATER POP ETC... THEY PLANNED FOR A BIG CROWD. WE SHOULD PLAY BIG GFAMES IN THE DOME. AT LEAST YOU COULD PEE.

Gamehunter
03-30-2005, 05:11 AM
You old geezers need to learn how to hold it ;D

I wouldn't want a basketball arena more than 10k, its just to big for the majority of games. I can see the SDSU game and maybe a handfull of others drawing more than 10k in the near future, but having 1-2k people in a 10k+ arena isn't the best either. I bet they put the SDSU games in the FFD next year to try it out. I bet it would draw a larger crowd too because people wouldn't feel so cramped.

Bison_Dan
03-30-2005, 01:55 PM
If they remodel the BSA and do it right, people will fill the seats. *With good quality competition they will come.

sambini
03-31-2005, 01:46 AM
X FACTOR WHO YOU CALIING OLD? IM JUST STATING A FACT, THE BSA NEEDS TO BE REMODELED GET RID OF THOSE AWFUL COMFORTABLE BLEACHERS. THEY ARE WONDERFUL FOR YOUR BACK AFTER WATCHING A DOUBLEHEADER. GETER DONE. JOIN TEAMMAKERS TODAY, 2005 FUNDRIVE STARTS TOMORROW. X FACTOR ARE YOU A MEMBER OF TEAMMAKERS OR ARE YOU STILL IN SCHOOL? GO BISON.