PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame: Now or Then?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
What do you guys think about the Hall of Fame inviting coaches while they are still coaching? Should they wait until they are done like they do with players?

WYOBISONMAN
04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Hall of Fame stuff should not be done while either the player or the coach is still active.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
They had Jim Boeheim on ESPN radio yesterday talking about it and he said he thought that they should do it while they are still coaching because some of them coach until they are very old and you are not sure how long they will be around, but I also think they should wait until they are done. Maybe like 2 years after a coach retires? With special occasions for that of a coach who is obviously going to get in and is very sick?

BisonCountry
04-08-2005, 05:26 AM
Coaches are hard to put forth such a requirement unless all inductions are done after coaches are deceased, which wouldn't be realistic. There is no way to stop a coach (Joe Gibbs comes to mind) from coming out of retirement to coach if they are still able and willing.

BisonMav
04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
How about a player like Guy LeFleur coming back to play after being elected to the HOF, or a HOF player like Frank Robinson becoming a Manager?

Bisonguy
04-08-2005, 02:30 PM
What do you guys think about the Hall of Fame inviting coaches while they are still coaching? *Should they wait until they are done like they do with players?

Are you talking about any Hall of Fame? If so, it's fine, as long as their accomplishments warrant a spot in the particular Hall of Fame.

Two Bison coaches, Amy Ruley and Bucky "I'm in more wrestling Hall of Fames than you have fingers and toes" Maughn, have proven they belong in a HOF while still coaching IMO.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Going back to the "if they came out of retirement" I don't think that is a big deal. Because even with the four year wait in many HOFs someone could still come back? Although it's very unlikely.
I just think that it should not be prior to your "first" retirement. If they did have a three or four year wait, after that time most people are not going to come back.

WYOBISONMAN
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't think that coming back is an issue.....if they do.....then you just have a HOF guy *or gal coaching.

bisononce
04-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Hall of Fame - A shift in discussion from personalities to brick & mortar. There is some preliminary talk of a Hall of Fame venue associated with a BSA renovation. Indications are it might be a separate building, incorporated in an efficient multi complex. I say our storied Bison warriors deserve nothing less. Comments? Rochester Scott, want to step up with the first money? ;D