PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any info on the new hotel??

TheBisonator
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
I had read a couple months ago that a donor would give the money for construction of a hotel and suites (Candlewood Inn and Suites, I believe??), and that NDSU would cover all operating expenses.

I'm pretty sure it would be located on the site of those pine trees on the edge of the West Fargodome Parking Lot, but I'm not sure if that's the exact location. I heard that construction would begin sometime this year, but I haven't heard anything more on it.

Anyone hear any more news on the on-campus hotel project??

Flintstone
02-28-2005, 09:00 PM
I believe they are working on drawings and a contractor has been selected.

greenandgold01
02-28-2005, 09:07 PM
That sounds like a great location. I wonder if it will have an attached restaurant?

roadwarrior
02-28-2005, 10:06 PM
This from a news release last August:

Russ Maring, Sonmar Management Corp. principal, said his plan is to own and operate the hotel for a seven-year period and then gift it to the NDSU Development Foundation. Maring is an NDSU alumnus who graduated in 1963.

The hotel will be located northeast of the new Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering building and south of 19th Avenue North. Construction is expected to begin either this fall or in the spring, with completion anticipated in 12-16 months.

insane_ponderer
03-01-2005, 01:04 AM
thats a pretty prime location.

Gamehunter
03-05-2005, 09:44 PM
so what is the hotel's primary use as far as NDSU is concerned?

greenandgold01
03-05-2005, 09:56 PM
so what is the hotel's primary use as far as NDSU is concerned?

Probably to use in the hotel manager degree.

JBB
03-05-2005, 11:16 PM
It will be nice for football if you will be able to get a room. I imagine the visitors will stay there if they need to stay overnight.

In one of the early Dome designs a hotel that had rooms looking into the Dome was one of the plans. You could get a room and watch the game.

roadwarrior
03-06-2005, 12:20 AM
There wasn't any mention of a restaurant in the plans and with the history of north Fargo restaurants that is probably smart. Without a place to eat, away teams would not be staying there. They need a large capacity to feed a football team plus meeting rooms for team meetings, etc.

scottheck
03-06-2005, 05:09 PM
There wasn't any mention of a restaurant in the plans and with the history of north Fargo restaurants that is probably smart. *Without a place to eat, away teams would not be staying there. *They need a large capacity to feed a football team plus meeting rooms for team meetings, etc.

There is a restaurant planned as well as conference capabilities for the tech park businesses, as well. *Yes, this will be used by the hospitality students as an on-the-job experience.

edit: (note:We've been trying to talk the Heyers into opening another Doolittles.)

Bisonguy
03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
There is a restaurant planned as well as conference capabilities for the tech park businesses, as well. *Yes, this will be used by the hospitality students as an on-the-job experience.

edit: (note:We've been trying to talk the Heyers into opening another Doolittles.)

A Doolittles near the Fargodome would be good. 8)

TheBisonator
03-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Even better, how about a Doolittles INSIDE OF, or ATTACHED TO the Fargodome??

Bisonguy
03-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Even better, how about a Doolittles INSIDE OF, or ATTACHED TO the Fargodome??

Inside might take away from space for the coaches offices or new locker rooms.
Put it just west of the treel line on the west side of the Fargodome. Within easy walking distance to the Fargodome, and they could provide food for tailgating. ;D

Gamehunter
03-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Hmmm, to bad it wouldn't be ready for this fall.

Bisonguy
04-05-2005, 12:15 AM
From KVLY news- Sounds like there will be a 73 suite Homewood Suites by Hilton going up north of the Fargodome in addition to the Candlewood Suites that will be operated by NDSU.

Now, we just need a few more restaurants.....

greenandgold01
04-05-2005, 12:32 AM
This is probably a must if we're going to be selling out the dome often.

JBB
04-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Ill take a room every night of the football season and 4 nights for basketball or any other sport they want to mix in.

TheBisonator
04-05-2005, 02:09 AM
This will be very good. It increases the hotels in the area from 1 to 3.

Now we will have the following on 19th Avenue North:

Hotels:

Homewood Suites by Hilton
Days Inn Airport
Candlewood Inn and Suites

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Reeb's Bar and Grille
Taco Bell
Domino's
McDonald's
Pizza Hut
Papa John's
Subway
Burger King
A&W
Long John Silvers

Liquor:

Happy Harry's Bottle Shop

Sound like a decent setup for accodomodating visiting fans and players.

greenandgold01
04-05-2005, 02:27 AM
They need a couple BWW type places. Maybe Friday's and Applebee's.

Bisonguy
04-05-2005, 02:35 AM
This will be very good. It increases the hotels in the area from 1 to 3.

Now we will have the following on 19th Avenue North:

Hotels:

Days Inn Airport

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Reeb's Bar and Grille
Taco Bell
Domino's
McDonald's
Pizza Hut
Papa John's
Subway
Burger King
A&W
Long John Silvers

Liquor:

Sound like a decent setup for accodomodating visiting fans and players.

Don't forget the other strip mall restaurants on 19th- Quizno's and Juano's (Express?- it's more like Qdoba than the Juano's on Broadway), there's also a chinese buffet and Taco Time attached to the BP.

I just wish there were more actual restaurants, instead of fast food or bar food. One of the larger chains would be OK, a Doolittles would be very nice.

Bisonguy
04-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Here's the updated list:

Hotels:

Days Inn Airport

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Reeb's Bar and Grille
Taco Bell
Domino's
McDonald's
Pizza Hut
Papa John's
Subway
Burger King
A&W
Long John Silvers
Quizno's
Juano's
Fortune House
Taco Time

Liquor:

TheBisonator
04-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I totally forgot there was a Quizno's in University Village... Thanks for reminding me. :)

Bison_Dan
04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
I wonder if the city had to kick in 2 million dollars in land and $300,000 per year for marketing for the hotels like gf had to?

IowaBison
04-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I wonder if the city had to kick in 2 million dollars in land and $300,000 per year for marketing for the hotels like gf had to?

if they do it better have a waterslide and a movie theatre that serves jesus juice in cushy seats

Bisonguy
04-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Dang it! Forgot Grand Junction, as well. :-[-

The updated, updated list:

Here's the updated list:

Hotels:

Days Inn Airport

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Reeb's Bar and Grille
Taco Bell
Domino's
McDonald's
Pizza Hut
Papa John's
Subway
Burger King
A&W
Long John Silvers
Quizno's
Juano's
Fortune House
Taco Time
Grand Junction

Liquor:

Bisonguy
04-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh yeah, here's the "other" hotel story-

Hilton plans Fargo hotel (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=87851&section=business)

Gamehunter
04-06-2005, 02:36 AM
Grand Junction, yummmmm.

TheBisonator
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I drove by the site yesterday, and I saw the sign, and it said there was room for two restaurant pads on the hotel site. Which means there may be hope for a North Fargo Doolittle's after all...

roadwarrior
04-24-2005, 03:11 AM
Construction has started on the hotel, located in the NE corner of the Research & Tech Park.

BISON_PRIDE
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
With two new hotels in the area, someone will probably build a Perkins or a Denny's soon.

insane_ponderer
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
its about time...if there was any way a perkins could be built on campus the thing would be a gold mine.

TheBisonator
04-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Amen.