PDA

View Full Version : Downtown vote, what is best for NDSU?

Bison101
04-16-2005, 04:29 AM
With the vote less than three weeks away I have yet to hear how something like this will effect NDSU? I know that NDSU has not publically expressed interest or disinterest in the project. In my opinion, the arena vote is a plus for Fargo, but might be hurting NDSU in the long run. If, the arena is built what does that do for a potential new Basketball arena next to the Fargodome? It seems to me it eliminates the possibility. However, if it is passed, maybe NDSU will dump some serious money into the BSA and make it a first class joint. If the New arena doesn't pass then it is likely that NDSU would just fix the BSA up enough to get by for a few years until they push for a new vote to build a basketball arena out by the dome.
As unrealistic as it may be, I would like to see the BSA get remodeled with practice courts and such, be outfitted for ice and make it the permanent home for NDSU wrestling and maybe Hockey in 10 years or so when we are firmly entranched in D1. With that and a new basketball arena out by the dome, indoor practice facility for Football...we would be sitting pretty.

Bottom line....What is best for NDSU....Yes or No on the Vote?

kchats
04-16-2005, 05:01 AM
I don't think it matters either way. NDSU is not involved in the project. NDSU is in the process of raising money to renovate the BSA. When the BSA is remodeled it will be a first class facility and it will serve the Bison well until they are firmly entrenched and outgrow it. NDSU has no interest in adding hockey so if it is a hockey arena that only adds an exclamation point to the fact NDSU isn't involved. If you don't mind paying more taxes for an arena that will most likely be empty most of the time go ahead and vote for it. I don't want the City to pass this build it and then expect NDSU to bail them out by becoming a prime tenant. I believe it will be much better if we stay in an arena that NDSU owns instead of renting from the City.

roadwarrior
04-16-2005, 08:40 AM
If the vote passes, the Fargodome Authority (who would be in charge of building the place) might try to lure Bison basketball to the new building. I dont think there is much interest at NDSU to playing the home basketball games off campus.

scottheck
04-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Since I'm not local, I can't vote but my opinion is similar to Roadwarrior.

I don't see the appeal of an off-campus facility. Other than the Metrodome, I'm not familiar with other off-campus facilities. Everyone who goes to Gopher fb games will tell you there is no college atmosphere. That needs to be preserved and is usually lost in off-campus facilities.

With a facility of that size, it would impede future fundraising for a new campus facility some years down the road or for the BSA remodel. Much like the hockey arena several years ago, I don't believe Fargo citizens would approve funding a building for NDSU. Thus the need for fundraising...

Granted, I haven't spend much time learning about it other than posts and links on this board, my inclination would be a no vote.

Bison_Dan
04-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Downtown vote - I don't think it matters to NDSU. I don't think that NDSU wants to play in anymore Fargo controlled buildings. Look at all the problems up north. rt leaves (and no one will give a reason) and now they're having a hard time getting any qualified applicants for AD.

BisonBizzo
04-16-2005, 05:04 PM
It's no secret NDSU is staying out of the public picture. My only hypothetical thought is that NDSU can look at this as a hockey arena on the horizon, when and if they are ready. I don't see an arena attached to the Fargodome to ever become reality. I do however, beleive NDSU will remodel the BSA, after enough funding. This vote is completely different than the past arena vote, but I can't believe how many skeptical and different views people have of it. To me, some are completely boorish and short-sighted while some are very relevant. I am all for the proposed development. It is a great opportuinity for Fargo, the arena size is needed and not just for hockey. The develpment will turn multiple dollars many many times in the city. Do I think it will pass? not really... The Fargodome would not have passed if the 60/40 vote would have been in the law books in that year. I don't know how any proposed development with tax dollars such as for an arena will ever pass again in the town with the 60/40 vote senario. Too many unproactive pessimists in this town to ever get a great idea passed through their thick skulls.

roadwarrior
04-16-2005, 08:49 PM
The Fargodome vote was above the 60% mark.

Tatanka
04-17-2005, 01:21 AM
By less than 1% if i remember correctly... but yes, it was over 60%.

BISON_PRIDE
04-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Wouldn't the arena bring more people downtown, add a decent hockey facility to the area, and raise the property value's of nearby businesses in the area? *If the drawback is taxes, can someone give me a better idea of how much this will cost me personally as a Fargo resident?

Can someone summarize the drawbacks for us?

As for NDSU, the arena doesn't look like it has any bearing on their plans - for now.

Bison_Kent
04-17-2005, 02:37 AM
I think there are several examples of off-campus arenas out East, mainly in the Big East Conference. I think UConn plays in nearby Hartford (Hartford Civic Center) for many of its home games. St. John's uses Madison Square Garden, Georgetown uses the same arena as the NBA's Washington Wizzards (MCI Center, I believe), Villanova plays in the Philadelphia 76ers arena (Wachovia Center, I believe), and Seton Hall uses the New Jersey Nets arena (Meadowlands, Continental Airlines Arena, I believe).

I think all of these programs were bettered by playing in an arena off-campus arena because the arena they had on-campus was either too old or too small.

Now, I would be in favor of the new arena should NDSU outgrow the BSA but that likely won't happen for a while.

I do see advantages to the arena though. NDSU already has a downtown campus so it wouldn't be that far away. Plus, buses could be used to ship students to the game that live on-campus. If it means more fans will come out to see NDSU basketball, I would be in favor of it. If no more would come, than I wouldn't be.

BisonBizzo
04-17-2005, 04:40 AM
The Fargodome vote was above the 60% mark.

My apologies. I thought it was just short of 60% not above, my memory is fading me.

I agree with Bison_Kent's comments on off campus arenas, if it works I'm for it. There are places where off campus arena's seem to work in out somewhat region (UM Duluth hockey-DECC, UW GreenBay basketball-Resch Center), and some where they seem not to work (Gopher football-Metrodome).

JBB
04-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Fargo residents will not pay for this facility for long. *If they are shifting the tax revenue from The Fargo Dome to a new arena the FFD must be paid for? *That only took 12 yrs. *Look what has happened around the FFD since then! *But, it is a city owned facility and pays no property tax. *

The new arena wont pay any property tax either, but the development directly linked to it will generate new tax revenues for schools, city and county. *This revenue will be in the millions per yr and is perpetual. *Arena cost is really a small drop in the bucket.

Indirectly millions more in tax revenues will be raised for the citizens through catalytic development like we see around the FFD and a general increase in property values related to this secondary development and rising property values. The added population base from the condos will assure this by putting a lot of shopping/entertainment dollars directly and permanently in the Downtown.

BISON_PRIDE
04-17-2005, 05:22 PM
So let's see...

A arena to bring people downtown, with over 155 events per year. It's mostly privately funded, and would be in an area with little asthetic value. It would not contribute to suburban sprawl in any way, and would add a lot of money to the local economy.

Naw, no one will ever go for that old trick.

roadwarrior
04-17-2005, 11:16 PM
The Fargodome tax will run through 2008. *The vote next month extends that 1/2 cent sales tax 3.5 years. *The downtown arena would get the money after the Fargodome tax initially would have expired.

Bottom line is the Fargodome will be paid for at the end of 2008, which was a 20 year run of the tax.

TheBisonator
04-18-2005, 12:10 AM
The big main reason I'm for this is because I really don't give a flying f*** if I have to pay an extra half a cent in sales tax for an additional 42 months. That's mickey-frickin couch change. Also, because of all the positive ramifications that JBB talked about.

Bisonguy
05-04-2005, 01:42 AM
So far, with 3 precincts reporting it's 115 Yes votes, 490 No votes.

Bisonguy
05-04-2005, 02:05 AM
With 19/23 precincts reporting, the No's are at 73%.

Guess Fargo doesn't like hockey.

I wonder how many more times they'll try running this through?

greenandgold01
05-04-2005, 03:08 AM
With 19/23 precincts reporting, the No's are at 73%.

Guess Fargo doesn't like hockey.

I wonder how many more times they'll try running this through?

They could simply build the arena without any taxpayer money at any time and place they please.

DIBISON
05-04-2005, 03:39 AM
Final tally with all precincts reporting is 71% No and 29% Yes. What a trashing!

Still think the best is to tie in a mid-size arena and performing arts hall to the Fargodome. After all, the sales tax extension is from the Fargodome, so why not further enhance the capabilities thru various arenas at one location.

Bisonguy
05-04-2005, 04:17 AM
Final tally with all precincts reporting is 71% No and 29% Yes. *What a trashing!

Still think the best is to tie in a mid-size arena and performing arts hall to the Fargodome. *After all, the sales tax extension is from the Fargodome, so why not further enhance the capabilities thru various arenas at one location.

I think a performing arts center would be better suited to downtown. Why not make it 3,000-5,000 seats and add another 8,000-10,000 seat arena attached to the Fargodome?

That way Fargo could approach the stadium seat per resident ratios that are prevalent in other ND cities.

bisongold
05-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Fargo Dome is the logical place for any arena. The parking would never be an issue . Arts center downtown makes more sense but needs to be defined better. Doesn't need to be huge, but a place to host regional and national touring groups.