PDA

View Full Version : School Uniforms?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-05-2005, 08:24 PM
My dad is a principal in a public high school and I've often brought up the topic of school uniforms with him. I wanted to see what people outside of academia think about public schools requiring uniforms?

I for one think that they should go to uniforms and have always felt this way. I feel that clothing is one of the biggest problems in schools. I know everyone says freedom of speech and whatever but these are 18 year olds and under.

I like the idea, just thought I'ld throw it out there and see what others opinions are.

Bisonguy
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
A dress code, maybe, but I don't think that uniforms are necessary.

I graduated in 1992 from a public school and don't remember any problems arising from clothing. :-/

MRBISON
05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I graduated from a public school in 1991 and we didn't seem to have any problems with dress-code at that time either. But I think times have changed. The girls you see are dressed like hookers and the guys are wearing clothes that are 5 sizes too big.

I think it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids dress respectfully, but that doesn't seem to be happening. :-/

sornball
05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Only go to uniforms if the girls are in short skirts, knee high boots, and tight shirts.

greenandgold01
05-06-2005, 01:33 AM
No.

College is a time when students need to build up their individuality and learn who they are.

Rodentia
05-06-2005, 04:45 PM
The best argument I have seen in favor of school uniforms is that it equalizes the students, and avoids a clothing "arms race".

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
The best argument I have seen in favor of school uniforms is that it equalizes the students, and avoids a clothing "arms race".

This is the reason I think it is a good idea. g&g01 I'm not talking about college, but high school and below. Just think how much less money you would spend on clothes. Remember wanting those $60 Girbaud jeans, well those are now $140 Abercrombie jeans. I think that the kids who couldn't afford to buy the nice clothes got picked on and maybe ended up not being friends with those who could and that is a very sad situation.

IowaBison
05-06-2005, 05:25 PM
This is the reason I think it is a good idea. *g&g01 I'm not talking about college, but high school and below. *Just think how much less money you would spend on clothes. *Remember wanting those $60 Girbaud jeans, well those are now $140 Abercrombie jeans. *I think that the kids who couldn't afford to buy the nice clothes got picked on and maybe ended up not being friends with those who could and that is a very sad situation.

but who wants to be friends with shallow jerks?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-06-2005, 05:59 PM
but who wants to be friends with shallow jerks?

It's not always that they are shallow jerks, but sometimes that maybe the person who doesn't have the clothing feels like he cannot go talk to the other people or sometimes feels less of themselves because of their not having these clothes.

IowaBison
05-06-2005, 06:20 PM
It's not always that they are shallow jerks, but sometimes that maybe the person who doesn't have the clothing feels like he cannot go talk to the other people or sometimes feels less of themselves because of their not having these clothes. *

you're right, it's tough enough being a teenager

and i do agree with school uniforms

Junior
05-06-2005, 06:30 PM
The unfortunate trend I see in public education today is more and more "parenting" being done in school and less of it being done by the parents. It is sad that schools are expected to "raise" our kids. I remember a time when kids were actually afraid of thier parents. So, in a way, uniforms would help but from a long term perspective I think our society as a whole should reevaluate how we treat and raise out kids. Kids are not born with a sense of respect, responsibility, appreciation, hard work ethic, etc. These are all learned.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Junior, I think that the way that people are working all the time has a lot to do with that too, you agree? I think that too often parents are working all day and barely see their kids at all. When I was growing up our family tried to eat together every single night. It was a rare occurence that we would eat separately. When schedules conflicted one parent would still eat with you. I think this is a very important time, not that you have to hound your kid about everyhting that happened during the day, but just that you have the chance to talk.

Wow, pretty deep stuff for a Sioux fan huh?

greenandgold01
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Still, even as early as high school, I think encouraging and building up individuality is key.

I hate this "lets make everyone equal" garbage. Everyone isn't equal. That's just the way it is.

IowaBison
05-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Still, even as early as high school, I think encouraging and building up individuality is key.

I hate this "lets make everyone equal" garbage. Everyone isn't equal. That's just the way it is.

the usual response to that is: let the students define themselves by their actions and their character not by dressing like prostitutes or gangstas

greenandgold01
05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
the usual response to that is: let the students define themselves by their actions and their character not by dressing like prostitutes or gangstas

While simultaneously dressing everyone up in exactly the same drone outfit?!

LOL! Nice try.

At best, you have an argument only for a dress code (which I think is reasonable).

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-06-2005, 07:35 PM

LOL! Nice try.

At best, you have an argument only for a dress code (which I think is reasonable).

I don't think that they will all act the same if they are dressed the same. Kids still have the opportunity to show their personality, it would just have to be in ways other then dress. They can show their personality through classes or outside of school too.

I really feel the uniforms would be a good deal.

IowaBison
05-06-2005, 07:55 PM

LOL! Nice try.

i feel sorry for anyone

if they don't think that they be themselves while wearing the same clothing as others for six hours a day

Bisonguy
05-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Junior, I think that the way that people are working all the time has a lot to do with that too, you agree? *I think that too often parents are working all day and barely see their kids at all. *When I was growing up our family tried to eat together every single night. *It was a rare occurence that we would eat separately. *When schedules conflicted one parent would still eat with you. *I think this is a very important time, not that you have to hound your kid about everyhting that happened during the day, but just that you have the chance to talk.

Good stuff. Parents also need to quit trying to be their kids' best friend and become parents again.

$140 jeans? :o :o

Guess my $35 Levi's aren't cutting edge fashion. :'(

I think a concrete dress code is a better solution. Uniforms are ok for private schools, but public schools should just not allow inappropriate attire.

IowaBison
05-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Good stuff. Parents also need to quit trying to be their kids' best friend and become parents again.

$140 jeans? *:o :o

Guess my $35 Levi's aren't cutting edge fashion. *:'(

I think a concrete dress code is a better solution. Uniforms are ok for private schools, but public schools should just not allow inappropriate attire.

hell, i just read the wal-mart is selling levi's now,

that $35 pair of jeans is now $20.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-06-2005, 09:51 PM
hell, i just read the wal-mart is selling levi's now, *

And they're not just worn by those that make less then minimum wage they're made by them too! ;D ;D ;D

Only kidding! Bugle boy for this guy

Bisonguy
05-06-2005, 10:08 PM
hell, i just read the wal-mart is selling levi's now, *

I'll gladly pay the extra $15 to not have to deal with the Bisonguy agitator known as the Walmart parking lot.

greenandgold01
05-06-2005, 10:53 PM
i feel sorry for anyone

if they don't think that they be themselves while wearing the same clothing as others for six hours a day

Just as with the stadium tax proposal, the idea itself is nothing outrageous or unprecedented, it's the philosophical principle behind the idea that I don't accept.

Junior
05-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Junior, I think that the way that people are working all the time has a lot to do with that too, you agree? *I think that too often parents are working all day and barely see their kids at all. *When I was growing up our family tried to eat together every single night. *It was a rare occurence that we would eat separately. *When schedules conflicted one parent would still eat with you. *I think this is a very important time, not that you have to hound your kid about everyhting that happened during the day, but just that you have the chance to talk.

Yes I agree. Both parents working does have an affect. I also argree with Bisonguy. Buying kids everything they want does not help the kids any. I know a lot of partents want their children to have it better than they did. The problem with this it the children grow up with a sense of entitlement. (getting everything they want.) There is a big difference between want and need. What they should really be learning is a strong work ethic by being forced to earn things. This starts at an early age. As early as 3 and contiunes well into the teens. Make the kids earn those $140 jeans.

I'm not against uniforms, but I think it only treats the symptoms and not the problems.

runtheoption
05-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I think there would probably be some people, with the help of a lawyer ;), that would find a plausible argument with requiring uniforms in a public school. Probably based on a Freedom of Speech argument.

I would agree with Bisonguy. Maybe a dress code that is actually enforced, but not requiring uniforms.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-06-2005, 11:55 PM
So what do you make the dress code to be? That's the reason I think they have to go to uniforms. Most schools do have enforced dress codes but kids always push the limits and fight everything. I don't think the freedom of speech argument would work in this case, although stupider things do happen.

greenandgold01
05-07-2005, 12:02 AM
So what do you make the dress code to be? That's the reason I think they have to go to uniforms. Most schools do have enforced dress codes but kids always push the limits and fight everything. I don't think the freedom of speech argument would work in this case, although stupider things do happen.

It wouldn't work if we were talking about a private school.

But if it's a public school it would be going agains the rights of the student.

Junior
05-07-2005, 01:28 AM
The rights of the students argument does not work if their parents agree to it. They are after all minors.

If students want these "rights" then they had better be ready for the consequences. i.e no juvy court, treat them as adults.

I get so tired of people who expect (demand) rights without taking responsibility for them.