PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Engineers

Bison_Dan
05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
In the Forum:

"Congratulations are due to the NDSU team whose contraption moved more rice than any other team to win the recent American Society of Mechanical Engineers design competition in Grand Forks.

The competition challenged teams to design a small machine that could transport an amount of rice up a flight of stairs in less than 10 minutes using only 12 volts.

The NDSU machine moved 60 pounds of rice, nearly double the amount of the University of Minnesota Duluth's machine, which took second place.

Twenty-one teams from nine states competed."

Just another win for the best engineering school in the midwest!! ;D ;D

greenandgold01
05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Whoppitydoo...mechanical engineers. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

A word to anyone that goes into engineering: electrical.

Herd_Mentality
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I worked at several places in the cities where I had managers tell me they'd rather hire NDSU engineering grads than U of M grads just because they felt they were more knowledgeable in the field.

The easiest part of my electrical engineering degree....the senior level industrial engineering courses I took for electives.

bisonranch
05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Whoppitydoo...mechanical engineers. *::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

What's that supposed to mean?

greenandgold01
05-05-2005, 06:31 PM
What's that supposed to mean?

Nothing. I was kidding around.

But seriously, I know many more mechanical engineers in the cities that don't have engineering jobs than I do electrical.

SDbison
05-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Putting down Industrial Engineers, huh? My two cents......... More likely Industrial Engineers will be in real offices as managers, directors, VP's while you electrical and mechanical types are in your cubicles redesigning a circuit or performing a stress analysis.

Bisonfan1
05-05-2005, 07:42 PM
greenandgold01, at least most of the people on this board are employed somewhere. You have way too much time on your hands. Oh wait, its a government conspiracy for sure.

Herd_Mentality
05-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Do they still call IE grads Imaginary Engineers?

Actually, if you were to look at a lot of VPs of technology companies they are usually ME's or EE's.

insane_ponderer
05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
not to break up this little engineering squabble (which are always entertaining to watch) but what i am really impressed with is ndsu's biomedical engineering program.

they are doing some pretty cool stuff...

greenandgold01
05-06-2005, 01:25 AM
not to break up this little engineering squabble (which are always entertaining to watch) but what i am really impressed with is ndsu's biomedical engineering program.

they are doing some pretty cool stuff...

NDSU doesn't have a Biomedical department in the engineering college.

They do offer a few Biomedical classes that you can take and then say that you have a Biomedical focus on your EE degree. That's only for EE majors, though.

Similarly, there is sort of a chemical engineering option availible to ME's called Polymers and Coatings. This is sort of a joint operation between the Chemistry department and the ME department.

I imagine that with the given trends and a little time, NDSU will have separate Chemical and Biological Engineering departments in the Engineering College.

Gamehunter
05-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Whoppitydoo...mechanical engineers. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Nothing wrong with Mechanical, but I chose Electrical myself. All I have to say is that I have seen the number of my classmates that drop out and it aint pretty!!

WYOBISONMAN
05-06-2005, 05:40 AM
I stayed the hell out of the whole damn engineering complex.........pocket protectors just didn't look good on me........ ;)

runtheoption
05-06-2005, 07:36 AM
I stayed the hell out of the whole damn engineering complex.........pocket protectors just didn't look good on me........ ;)

I agree. My poly sci degree is paying off big time for me. Some may ask, "Just what exactly is a political scientist?" Well, we are the ones that proudly display our College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences degrees while we pour your drinks for you when you come into the pub with all your engineering cohorts. Then at some point we decide to grow up and go to law school, which is where I am.

02Bison
05-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Silly debates like this and engineers at the source...coincidence? Probably not. "No, ME's are better."..."No, EE's are better." ::) ::)

Bison_Dan
05-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree. *My poly sci degree is paying off big time for me. *Some may ask, "Just what exactly is a political scientist?" *Well, we are the ones that proudly display our College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences degrees while we pour your drinks for you when you come into the pub with all your engineering cohorts. *Then at some point we decide to grow up and go to law school, which is where I am.

I hope your going to a GOOD law school!

runtheoption
05-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I hope your going to a GOOD law school!

Let's just say my tuition dollars are not being spent within ND.

greenandgold01
05-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Let's just say my tuition dollars are not being spent within ND.

Haha. Which school do you go to?

runtheoption
05-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Haha. Which school do you go to?

William Mitchell in St. Paul. And for all you engineer types out there, there are a few of them in law school. They seem to fit right in with the lawyer way of issue solving. See a problem, analyze it closely trying not to leave any stone unturned while applying many different theories, and offer up solutions.

Junior
05-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I always thought the engineers who went to law school were the ones who couldn't cut it in the engineering field. ;)

runtheoption
05-06-2005, 11:32 PM
No, they were bored and needed a challenge. :D Plus they had an extra 100k laying around that they wanted to spend on tuition.

Junior
05-07-2005, 01:34 AM
William Mitchell in St. Paul. *And for all you engineer types out there, there are a few of them in law school. *They seem to fit right in with the lawyer way of issue solving. *See a problem, analyze it closely trying not to leave any stone unturned while applying many different theories, and offer up solutions. *

Unfortuantely engineers are usually expected to design a Ferrari with the budget of a Pinto.