PDA

View Full Version : UND gets an AD

Bison_Kent
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Here is the story from the UND website on the new U of North Dakota athletic director:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/news/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3900

I wonder if hiring a Division I associate AD will lead to a DI move for the school's sports--aside from hockey.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
As noted on siouxsports.com the rivalry goes deep between Buning (Army) and Taylor (Navy). Thought that was pretty funny. Seems like Buning is a good guy hopefully he does well for the school. Not sure his initial stance on the DI transition, should be interesting to hear him speak on it now that he has been hired.

MinotBison
05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
[quote I wonder if hiring a Division I associate AD will lead to a DI move for the school's sports--aside from hockey.

[/quote]

Only kicking and screaming, or so it would seem.

RedRiver
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Not a chance as long as President K is there! Surprised many that they did not go with Bollinger, the local boy.

mikelsch
05-09-2005, 10:13 PM
When UND continued their search after the first 3 candidates, it was obvious they didn't want any of them. Surprised they didn't have more applicants from DI schools...school must not have a very good reputation nationally, administratively (i.e. Kupchella) speaking.

Navy/Army: Taylor/Buning: Bison/Sioux game

Bisonguy
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Sounds like a good hire for UND. Sometimes it's good to hire someone with no previous ties to the school (i.e. Gene Taylor)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-09-2005, 10:32 PM
When UND continued their search after the first 3 candidates, it was obvious they didn't want any of them. *Surprised they didn't have more applicants from DI schools...school must not have a very good reputation nationally, administratively (i.e. Kupchella) speaking.

Navy/Army: Taylor/Buning: Bison/Sioux game

I don't know why you would say they don't have a good reputation, weren't the three finalists for the NDSU job Molde (also finalist for UND), at that time South Alabama assistant A.D. (now the A.D. at North Alabama) Joel Erdmann, and Taylor, who was the assistant A.D. at Navy. Sounds pretty similar to me??

RedRiver
05-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Why, the difference in the total number of quality applicants from DI schools!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Why, the difference in the total number of quality applicants from DI schools!

??Can you help me out here?? Give me the list of "the total number of quality applicants from DI schools" for each school please, it would be interesting to compare the two. Thanks

DIBISON
05-09-2005, 11:39 PM
One example was when the U of Minnesota associate athletic director was brought into Fargo to look at the Bison AD job. He was no doubt a quality DI applicant and he wasn't even a finalist. Erdmann and Taylor were both quality DI applicants that were finalists.

RedRiver
05-10-2005, 12:59 AM
To make it easy for you, just compare the "list" of the original finalists for the AD job at both schools.

UND had Bollinger, Molde, and McCarthy. Zero DI applicants in that list.

NDSU had Taylor, Erdmann, and Molde. Two DI applicants in that list.

There is a difference in the applicant level. Anyway, good luck to the new undII AD, I'm sure he'll need it!

sambini
05-10-2005, 03:15 AM
the minnesota associate ad at that time did pull his application out as the uofm gave him a raise. but the new ad up north sounds like chuckles is following joes lead.

Bison_Dan
05-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a good hire for UND. Sometimes it's good *to hire someone with no previous ties to the school (i.e. Gene Taylor)

I also wish him luck and I agree with Bisonguy hiring outside of und was a smart move.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
One example was when the U of Minnesota associate athletic director was brought into Fargo to look at the Bison AD job. *He was no doubt a quality DI applicant and he wasn't even a finalist. *Erdmann and Taylor were both quality DI applicants that were finalists.

So that would be pretty comparable to Purpur (Assoc. A.D. at Stanford) applying then getting a raise from Stanford so he pulled out. You can't compare the two finalists lists and say one was better, you have to look at the overall applicants.

Either way, it should be interesting to get a feel for what he is looking to do at the University. Exciting times.

IowaBison
05-10-2005, 03:08 PM
So that would be pretty comparable to Purpur (Assoc. A.D. at Stanford) applying then getting a raise from Stanford so he pulled out. *You can't compare the two finalists lists and say one was better, you have to look at the overall applicants.

Either way, it should be interesting to get a feel for what he is looking to do at the University. *Exciting times.

at the same time who cares about the list?

I really like Taylor and Buning looks like a winner as well.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-10-2005, 03:11 PM
at the same time who cares about the list?

I really like Taylor and Buning looks like a winner as well.

Exactly, that was my point.

WYOBISONMAN
05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
A great hire by UND. I am glad to see it. Maybe he can talk some sense into Pres. K.

greenandgold01
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
A great hire by UND. I am glad to see it. Maybe he can talk some sense into Pres. K.

Haha, that'll be the day.

IowaBison
05-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I heard last night on Fox News that one of Buning's priorities is to rekindle the rivalry.

Haven't heard it again and there wasn't much in the sense of context......

kchats
05-10-2005, 06:52 PM
It is in the article in the Forum today. He also said division I is very enticing. Maybe they'll actually start to study a move to division I now. They will probably higher Carr to do their study too. I don't believe they have done one before.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=91302&section=sports

greenandgold01
05-10-2005, 07:39 PM
It is in the article in the Forum today. He also said division I is very enticing. Maybe they'll actually start to study a move to division I now. They will probably higher Carr to do their study too. I don't believe they have done one before.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=91302&section=sports

Why would they bother hireing Carr? They're just going to tell UND the exact same meaningless garbage they told NDSU.

mikelsch
05-10-2005, 08:53 PM
I agree about the Carr report. It only told us what we already knew. You have the resources, now find a conference and go for it. NDSU needed the report to make the decision look unbiased.

WYOBISONMAN
05-10-2005, 09:04 PM
UND should not hire Carr......save the money and put it into scholies.....

kchats
05-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Just because NDSU got the go ahead to move up to division I from Carr doesn't mean UND will. Their new AD said they were going to study a possible move to division I, if they don't use Carr who will do the study? They can't do it themselves because it would be biased. Even with a new AD since he might be blinded by everything and spin it as a positive for the move to division I. UND has a deficit with their current athletic program, how can they afford a move to division I? They might have a large surge in donations from UND alumni that want to keep up with NDSU but it might not last.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Just because NDSU got the go ahead to move up to division I from Carr doesn't mean UND will. *Their new AD said they were going to study a possible move to division I, if they don't use Carr who will do the study? *They can't do it themselves because it would be biased. *Even with a new AD since he might be blinded by everything and spin it as a positive for the move to division I. *UND has a deficit with their current athletic program, how can they afford a move to division I? *They might have a large surge in donations from UND alumni that want to keep up with NDSU but it might not last.

Don't flatter yourselves

Bison_Dan
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Just because NDSU got the go ahead to move up to division I from Carr doesn't mean UND will. *Their new AD said they were going to study a possible move to division I, if they don't use Carr who will do the study? *They can't do it themselves because it would be biased. *Even with a new AD since he might be blinded by everything and spin it as a positive for the move to division I. *UND has a deficit with their current athletic program, how can they afford a move to division I? *They might have a large surge in donations from UND alumni that want to keep up with NDSU but it might not last.

If sdsu got a okay report from carr I would think that und would too. They do have some things working against them - a deficit, a fan base that's tapped out on the revenue side and women's hockey.

Tracker
05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Dan your statement is right on. Our population is a lot smaller than Fargo's is and we have less corporate dollars to draw from. A lot of Sioux fans put a ton of money into supporting the hockey team. You can only go to the well so many times. It might be tough for Grand Forks to support DI across the board. The fact that UND has men and womens hockey makes UND's decision a little different than NDSU.

IowaBison
05-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Dan *your statement *is *right on. *Our population is a lot smaller than Fargo's is *and we have *less corporate dollars to draw from. *A lot of Sioux fans put a ton *of money into supporting the hockey team. *You can only go to the well so many times. *It might be tough for Grand Forks to support DI across the board. *The fact that UND has men and womens hockey makes UND's decision a little different than NDSU.

I think it makes it considerably different.

Men's Hockey needs $3 million a year, Women's Hockey $1.

That's an extra $4 million dollars in a smaller town with less money. Sure folks drive from Fargo and elsewhere for Sioux Hockey games, but I don't believe for a second that they are going to drive that far en masse for football or basketball.

I think that UND has it absolutely made with the NCC/Hockey arrangement. A couple more D2 Hockey schools and the situation couldn't be more ideal.

Bisonguy
05-11-2005, 09:21 PM
UND's financial outlook is very different than NDSU's, as the posts above indicate. There was mention on the IAC minutes that financial contributions to UND's AD were about maxed out, and that ticket revenue for hockey and football fell short of expectations this year.

UND definitely needs some sort of report, whether it be from Carr or some other company.

sornball
05-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Dan *your statement *is *right on. *Our population is a lot smaller than Fargo's is *and we have *less corporate dollars to draw from. *A lot of Sioux fans put a ton *of money into supporting the hockey team. *You can only go to the well so many times. *It might be tough for Grand Forks to support DI across the board. *The fact that UND has men and womens hockey makes UND's decision a little different than NDSU.

UND has a much larger alumni base than UND, and that has been the basis of most everyones argument to make the move.

Tatanka
05-12-2005, 02:56 AM
UND has a much larger alumni base than UND, and that has been the basis of most everyones argument to make the move.

??? :D ;)

MinotBison
05-12-2005, 04:46 AM

I think you might want to back up and try that one again.

kchats
05-12-2005, 05:01 AM
UND can't assume they can move to division I just because SDSU and NDSU have been given the blessing to make the move by Carr. I think they would be wise to hire somebody from outside the region to study the situation. NDSU has been much more aggressive in raising scholarships than SDSU but SDSU is adding them. I think SDSU had to do it differently so they could add donors as they show their alumni that they will be successful in division I. UND supposedly made money in hockey and were still $400,000 in the red. They also gave tuition waivers to their women's hockey players. If they can't afford scholarships for women's hockey how do they expect to add football scholarships. ???

JBB
05-12-2005, 05:22 AM

Is idiot appropriate*?

*not that he called me one or anything 8)

Tracker
05-12-2005, 11:34 PM
If they announce the closing of the airbase it could have a tremendous effect on the city of Grand Forks. The talk of a potential move to DI could be put on the back burner for quite a while if not forever. With the economic effect it could have on Grand Forks, it could at a minimal at least get people and businesses out of the mood to start raising money for a move to dI. Anybody have any opinions on it or I suppose nobody cares.

MinotBison
05-13-2005, 12:03 AM
GFAFB was on a preliminary list of potential bases to be closed that someone sent me yesterday. I don't know what the source is, but must emphasize that the list is only preliminary. Sec. Rumsfeld said today that the actual number of base closures may well be less than that. Stay tuned.