PDA

View Full Version : SI's Top Athletic High Schools

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Sports Illustrated has their ranking for top athletic high schools state-by-state and who's #1 from ND.....Grand Forks Red River!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/magazine/05/11/top.high.map0516/1.html

Herd_Mentality
05-12-2005, 04:05 PM
I wonder if they even considered any class B schools...

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 04:08 PM
I wonder if they even considered any class B schools...

Probably not. The #'s just wouldn't be that impressive would they? Who would be the best Class B school in the state, and what does their championship count look like in the past ten years (SI's criteria) I'm sure they just looked quickly at who has the most championships, probably didn't go into a lot of detail.

Herd_Mentality
05-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Well, the problem is about like the Sear's trophy in division II. Class A schools typically have a lot more sports that are offered...and in ND, as a class A school you really don't have that many schools to beat to win a championship. I mean...the blurb mentions tennis for crying out loud.

87Bisonfan
05-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Class B schools wouldn't have the high number of championships because most Class B schools don't offer all the sports that Class A schools do -- hockey, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, etc.

As far as good Class B schools, I think Dickinson Trinity and Velva would be two of the best. *Dickinson has had several football championships and a BB one or two. *Velva dominates in FB and occassionally in wrestling and baseball.

I didn't notice that Herd M. mentioned the same facts before I had inputted my comments.

greenandgold01
05-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, the problem is about like the Sear's trophy in division II. Class A schools typically have a lot more sports that are offered...and in ND, as a class A school you really don't have that many schools to beat to win a championship. I mean...the blurb mentions tennis for crying out loud.

If you notice, Edina got Minnesota's nod for having won many championships in such glory filled sports as alpine skiing and tennis.

Oh, and who could forget swimming!

lol!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, the problem is about like the Sear's trophy in division II. *Class A schools typically have a lot more sports that are offered...and in ND, as a class A school you really don't have that many schools to beat to win a championship. *I mean...the blurb mentions tennis for crying out loud.

Red River has also won many championships in Volleyball, and Hockey in the past 10 years and been very successful in other sports. I think it was a very good choice!

Bison_Dan
05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Red River has also won many championships in *Volleyball, and Hockey in the past 10 years and been very successful in other sports. *I think it was a very good choice! *

I don't - It's too bad they give equal weight to tennis as they do fb. Fargo South has it all over on RR for overall sports.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I don't - It's too bad they give equal weight to tennis as they do fb. *Fargo South has it all over on RR for overall sports.

FS has about as many students as RR and GFC combined too. RR probably has as many State titles as FS or more in the past 10 years anyway so that argument isn't very good.

Tuk
05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't know who is best, but Williston High is possibly the worst of the schools due to their lack of appearances in state meets. This last season was the first for the Coyotes since the Nixon administration*

*(actually, they probably have made other appearances, but in the end they still suck)

It always was an exciting time when our football team actually won a game, not for the win but because it didn't happen that often. :)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Actually, I believe Williston had a very good year this year in athletics. Good for them!

sornball
05-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Sports Illustrated has their ranking for top athletic high schools state-by-state and who's #1 from ND.....Grand Forks Red River!!!!

GFRR has to be one of the worst schools in the state. *Their associate principal looks like humpty dumpty. *I can't believe Fargo South wasn't in the running for this. *Red River doesn't win anything but Tennis and Hockey. *Not really the two most athletic sports.

PS: yeah_yeah do you have a job? Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you own a Whizzinator?

Nodakstud
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
As far as Class B schools go, Linton also has to be considered. They have won 3 state titles in football, a few in wrestling, and seem to be in every state tournament for every sport, every year. They have tons of athletic support, and seem to produce talented athletes year after year.

Tuk
05-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Actually, I believe Williston had a very good year this year in athletics. Good for them!
My bad on that one--they did have a good year last year. *I even think the year before they had a decent season. *Otherwise, Williston didn't really do very well.I think they got some new coaching who seem to know what they need to do to produce a good team. *We will have to see what happens.

jjbluecw
05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Class B schools wouldn't have the high number of championships because most Class B schools don't offer all the sports that Class A schools do -- hockey, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, etc.

Class B schools wouldn't have the high number of championships because they compete against many, many more schools.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
GFRR has to be one of the worst schools in the state. *Their associate principal looks like humpty dumpty. *I can't believe Fargo South wasn't in the running for this. *Red River doesn't win anything but Tennis and Hockey. *Not really the two most athletic sports.

PS: *yeah_yeah do you have a job? *Where do you come up with this stuff? *Do you own a Whizzinator?

How do you know FS wasn't in the running? I'm sure they were, but RR has been as good as anyone in the state over the past 10 years winning many games in basically every sport, and taking championships in many. Saying they don't win anything but Hockey and Tennis is a foolish statement. Sornball must be a Central graduate/non-graduate.

I search the internet. SI.com is pretty easy to find, if you need a link I can give you one, oh and it was also in the Herald today.

jjbluecw
05-12-2005, 06:35 PM

Fourteen titles in tennis...whoopdy doo!! How many high schools have a tennis program in the state?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Fourteen titles in tennis...whoopdy doo!! *How many high schools have a tennis program in the state? *

Yeah, not sure why they chose to just mention tennis when they could have said something about Hockey and volleyball as well.

I just think you have to take a look at what other schools would deserve it, Fargo South and Bismarck are probably the only other ones that were in contention. Fargo South is the biggest school in the state (I think) by far with the exception of Minot. RR is smaller and has won many championships in the past decade.

sornball
05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
How do you know FS wasn't in the running? *I'm sure they were, but RR has been as good as anyone in the state over the past 10 years winning many games in basically every sport, and taking championships in many. Saying they don't win anything but Hockey and Tennis is a foolish statement. *Sornball must be a Central graduate/non-graduate.

I search the internet. *SI.com is pretty easy to find, if you need a link I can give you one, oh and it was also in the Herald today.

Actually graduate of RRHS 1999, UND 2005. Just don't think that tennis championships justify being named the top athletic hs in nd.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Actually graduate of RRHS 1999, UND 2005. *Just don't think that tennis championships justify being named the top athletic hs in nd.

Soccer, hockey, volleyball...

tony
05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Congratulations. I have to say the choice surprised me - when I think of athletic powers in ND athletics, I think of Fargo South and Minot (and, of course, Mandan).

Is there any site that lists all the state champions for ND high school sports? If not, does somebody know where a guy could find the information without doing a lot of digging through old newspapers?

It wouldn't have much to do with Bison sports, but it'd be nice to have a list like that available on the web somewhere.

somebison
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
In HS I always thought Fargo South was the best of the East and Bismarck the best of the west

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Congratulations. I have to say the choice surprised me - when I think of athletic powers in ND athletics, I think of Fargo South and Minot (and, of course, Mandan).

Is there any site that lists all the state champions for ND high school sports? If not, does somebody know where a guy could find the information without doing a lot of digging through old newspapers?

It wouldn't have much to do with Bison sports, but it'd be nice to have a list like that available on the web somewhere.

I tried to find it on www.ndhsaa.com but couldn't find a list of champions. Maybe someone can dig more and find them. I think the all time hockey 'chips are on the hockey site but that is done by a private citizen. Not sure where to find the others?

jjbluecw
05-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Actually graduate of RRHS 1999, UND 2005. Just don't think that tennis championships justify being named the top athletic hs in nd.

I don't think any number state championship in Class A justifies being named top athletic hs in ND. Everyone in the state knows that Class B basketball is king.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I don't think any number state championship in Class A justifies being named top athletic hs in ND. *Everyone in the state knows that Class B basketball is king.

So you think they should have named Class B basketball the top high school in ND? ;D

I loved going to the Class B in Minot every year when I was a kid and my team would be there. Watford City Wolves baby!!!

jjbluecw
05-12-2005, 08:07 PM
So you think they should have named Class B basketball the top high school in ND? ;D

I loved going to the Class B in Minot every year when I was a kid and my team would be there. Watford City Wolves baby!!!

I'm from Munich...the 92 title game was the best ND high school event in history.

BisonMav
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Cavalier would be high with their recent football and baseball championships, and a Class B basketball appearance. Plus an NFL draft pick in Rob Hunt via NDSU.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm from Munich...the 92 title game was the best ND high school event in history.

Was that the Marty McDonald year?

jjbluecw
05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Was that the Marty McDonald year?

You got it. I haven't seen a crowd at a high school event come close to the atmosphere that was at that game. It was a rematch from the year before.

jjbluecw
05-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Cavalier would be high with their recent football and baseball championships, and a Class B basketball appearance. Plus an NFL draft pick in Rob Hunt via NDSU.

Cavalier was the first class B school that came to mind. They are tough in fb every year.

NDSUstudent
05-12-2005, 08:38 PM
SiouxYeahYeah- This should have nothing to do with which high school is bigger, this is just for who is best at athletics. And South's enrollment was 1539 and RR's was 1333, the difference isn't that large.

The only thing I know about state titles is that south has won 109 of them during the last 30 years. South has the best or second best football, golf, track, soccer, and cross country programs in the state. And is usually near the top(top3-6 in state) in basketball, wrestling, vollyball, and hockey. And the only thing south really is bad at is tennis and baseball. I graduated from south a couple of years ago and while I was there both the guys soccer and cross country teams were in the national top 25 at one time. RR may win a few hockey and tennis titles but it is not the force that south is in athletics across the board. *

If I were to rank the top three it would be:
1. South
2. Bismarck High
3. Red River

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 09:30 PM
SiouxYeahYeah- This should have nothing to do with which high school is bigger, this is just for who is best at athletics. And South's enrollment was 1539 and RR's was 1333, the difference isn't that large.

First off, I was mentioning that because some were talking about class B, but also you should be better if you have many more students. *Where did you find those #s, I find those pretty hard to believe.

Besides, it's not like someone from RR made the choice, it was an outside group Sports Illustrated who made the decision. Also, the criteria was just the past 10 years.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Actually here was the SI statement:

"Our criteria emphasized all-around excellence during the last 10 years and included state titles won and college athletes produced." -Sports Illustrated

RR has sent many athletes to the college ranks in the past 10 years, most notebaly hockey players, but I played with a guy who played D-I football, one who played D-I basketball, one who played D-I baseball, and many who played or play D-I hockey, not to mention many terrific female athletes in throwing sports.

Bisonguy
05-12-2005, 09:46 PM

The only thing I know about state titles is that south has won 109 of them during the last 30 years. South has the best or second best football, golf, track, soccer, and cross country programs in the state. And is usually near the top(top3-6 in state) in basketball, wrestling, vollyball, and hockey. And the only thing south really is bad at is tennis and baseball. I graduated from south a couple of years ago and while I was there both the guys soccer and cross country teams were in the national top 25 at one time. RR may win a few hockey and tennis titles but it is not the force that south is in athletics across the board. *

If I were to rank the top three it would be:
1. South
2. Bismarck High
3. Red River

That's about my outlook, as well. Of course it might be skewed since I'm a South graduate. :-/Soccer, track, golf, and X-C: might as well just hand the championship trophy over to South at the beginning of the season.

somebison
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Actually here was the SI statement:

"Our criteria emphasized all-around excellence during the last 10 years and included state titles won and college athletes produced." *-Sports Illustrated

RR has sent many athletes to the college ranks in the past 10 years, most notebaly hockey players, but I played with a guy who played D-I football, one who played D-I basketball, one who played D-I baseball, and many who played or play D-I hockey, not to mention many terrific female athletes in throwing sports.

Who played DI hoops from RR?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 09:50 PM
That's about my outlook, as well. Of course it might be skewed since I'm a South graduate. *:-/Soccer, track, golf, and X-C: might as well just hand the championship trophy over to South at the beginning of the season.

Didn't RR beat South in Soccer for the 'chip this year ;)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Who played DI hoops from RR?

Jon Godfread

NDSUstudent
05-12-2005, 09:51 PM
The numbers may seem a little off because south has grades 10-12 and RR has grades 9-12 making up their enrollment.

I still have yet to hear an arguement as to why RR is a better athletic high school. In the last ten years I would guess that south has around 30 titles. And South easily makes up the difference in being competitive across the board in athletics, while RR is just good in a few sports.

NDSUstudent
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure South won the soccer title this year, I think your talking about last year.

As for college athletes the south track,soccer, x-c and golf programs have produced numerous DI athletes. And the south football program has produced numerous D2 football players and some DI football recruits.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 09:55 PM
http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/football/football_2005_07.pdf

This link was given on ss.com showing the enrollments to actually be quite different for male students form FSH and RR.

Read the criteria, look at the numbers, like I said Sports Illustrated picked it and I'm guessing they don't have a bone to pick with FSH?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure South won the soccer title this year, I think your talking about last year.

Yeah, I was thinking of the girls' game RR over South, like you said in the Boys' game it was South over RR

somebison
05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Jon Godfread

where?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 10:07 PM
where?

1 year at Utah before transferring to UNI

NDSUstudent
05-12-2005, 10:07 PM
SI can say what they want but I think if you would ask people around the state and look at each school's perfromance in athletics across the board I think Fargo South would be the clear pick.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 10:10 PM
SI can say what they want but I think if you would ask people around the state and look at each school's perfromance in athletics across the board I think Fargo South would be the clear pick.

That's fine, I'm not going to defend it anymore, just think it's pretty cool that SI mentioned my school as being pretty good.

Bisonguy
05-12-2005, 10:15 PM
It must be part of the conspiracy against Imperial Cass. ::) :-/ :P

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Now we can ALL agree on this:

I found this Newsweek list of top 1,000 schools in the U.S. and skimmed through it. I didn't see any ND school on the list (may have missed one, but don't think so) I live in Chicago now and there are some schools from here on that list, and I can tell you first hand that the schools in ND are much better. Not sure what criteria they used but it sure seems whacko to me!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

NDSUstudent
05-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I couldn't believe that either. Don't ND students have the top test scores in the nation? You would think they could find room in their list of 1036 schools for one ND school.

Bisonfan1
05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Yeah Yeah, I dont think you missed anything, I went through that list also the day it came out and did'nt see any ND schools either. I couldnt believe it.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Here is the explanation:

"the number of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students at a school in 2004 divided by the number of graduating seniors. "

So that wouldn't really describe the BEST schools I wouldn't think. I would think most in the education world would push this aside and not give it much consideration.

MinotBison
05-12-2005, 11:55 PM

I might have been inclined to include Minot as well. It would help if their hockey team could figure out a way to win a meaningful game at the state tournament. It seems like its been centuries since that has happened. Witness this year's debacle as evidence.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-13-2005, 03:12 PM
I found out how they picked it. The NDHSAA was called and asked who the best athletic high school in the state was based on championships in the past 10 years. They said they didn't keep that as a ranking. So they had to count them up. More weight was put on some sports then others. After they were all counted up RR had the most and FSH was second with Bis. 3rd.

I guess everyone's opinion of 1 FSH 2 Bis 3 RR needs to be switched ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-13-2005, 03:17 PM
NDSUstudent, Fargo South has 1,598 for 10-12 Bismarck has 1,422 for 10-12 and Red River has 1,276 for 9-12. Pretty significant difference.

GFBisonFan
05-17-2005, 02:38 AM
Just my 2 cents on Class B

Don't forget Carrington with at least two fb championships (and multiple playoff appearances), multiple wrestling titles, basketball titles, and one professional fb player-kleinsasser. Travis Hafner grew up only a few miles from there as well, but lists Sykeston as his home town (now combined with Carrington HS).

Go cards!!

NDSU_grad
05-17-2005, 03:14 AM
My wife's from Munich. When did you graduate?

jjbluecw
05-17-2005, 04:42 AM
My wife's from Munich. When did you graduate?

'97. I think I am one of very few NDSU grads from Munich. Nothin but a bunch of Sioux followers around there.

tophatfan
05-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Now we can ALL agree on this:

I found this Newsweek list of top 1,000 schools in the U.S. and skimmed through it. *I didn't see any ND school on the list (may have missed one, but don't think so) *I live in Chicago now and there are some schools from here on that list, and I can tell you first hand that the schools in ND are much better. *Not sure what criteria they used but it sure seems whacko to me!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

That's because most of the intelligent people that put these things together don't know where ND is. In ND we do have some of the top test scores in the nation and in applying for jobs most employers will hire graduates just because they are from ND, so I would say that they didn't do there homework

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
I guess the reason is because not many students in the state take AP tests for college credit. These other schools must push AP courses and testing a lot more then the schools here do.

On the other hand, maybe our regular high school courses are teaching us everything that these other states have to learn in AP ;D

IowaBison
05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
I saw their methodology, described above, and laughed my ASS off!

Though any measure will be somewhat subjective, the use of AP testing is ridiculous.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
I saw their methodology, described above, and laughed my ASS off!

Though any measure will be somewhat subjective, the use of AP testing is ridiculous.

Yeah, pretty stupid. Don't you think they could incorporate ACT/SAT scores, % of graduating students to those who were enrolled, and maybe some other variables? Just doesn't seem like AP tests would be a good indicator. Could only mean that students aren't learning enough in their regular classes and are looking to learn at a higher level.

insane_ponderer
05-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Just my 2 cents on Class B

Don't forget Carrington with at least two fb championships (and multiple playoff appearances), multiple wrestling titles, basketball titles, and one professional fb player-kleinsasser. *Travis Hafner grew up only a few miles from there as well, but lists Sykeston as his home town (now combined with Carrington HS).

Go cards!!

definently in agreement, dont forget all the quality college athletes that the area has turned out, especially in football and track.

sambini
05-18-2005, 03:09 AM
FARGO SOUTH IS THE BEST. BISMARCK HIGH IS ALSO RIGHT UP THERE TOO.