PDA

View Full Version : Total turnover?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11698073.htm

Many people in an around UND will be happy if he gets this. I thought the guy did a pretty good job while he was there. Some people think that he didn't pay enough attention to athletics, but obviously there are other things to take care of. I wouldn't mind getting a North Dakotan in the position though.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Sorry, if you don't want to read the article, it says that Kupchella is a finalist (1 of 4) for the Presidency at Marshall University.

TheBisonator
05-20-2005, 07:56 PM
If Kupcake leaves und, I won't like it one bit. He seems to be the main road block for und going DI. And now if you guys get a different president who would think differently about a DI move, then you may actually do it. But I for one do NOT want und to move to Division I. I hope they stay right where they are. The DI move by the Bison two years ago was critical for NDSU to eventually be known as THE main university of the state. But if und does the same thing, then we can't lay claim to that anymore. I hope Kupchella doesn't leave. Every year of the transition we complete is another year that und stays behind. If you guys get too behind, then you won't bother with the move at all. Which is why I hope the sue stay in D2.

IowaBison
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
not to "hatin'"

but if Kupchella had any vision, i don't see how marshall is a step up?

it is a better university, but und could some day be just as good and a real leader would want to make that happen.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Every year of the transition we complete is another year that und stays behind. If you guys get too behind, then you won't bother with the move at all. Which is why I hope the sue stay in D2.

I don't agree with this. I think the decision has more to do with if the University can handle it, not how far into D-1 NDSU is. But, I do agree that a new president would more then likely have more DI vision then Kupchella did.

Man, a new Pres., A.D., and REA GM. That would be a lot of new faces around.

NDSU_grad
05-20-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a guy take more heat than Kupchella seems to from Sioux fans. Yeah, he's said some pretty done dumb (IMO) things about the move to DI by SU, and the letter writing campaign he concocted with Martinson was pretty underhanded, but he's done a pretty good job at UND. Enrollment's at an all-time high and he seems to have the university headed in the right direction. But he doesn't go to every single hockey game, and he's an enemy of the state in a Sioux fan's mind. Strange.

IowaBison
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't agree with this. *I think the decision has more to do with if the University can handle it, not how far into D-1 NDSU is. *But, I do agree that a new president would more then likely have more DI vision then Kupchella did. *

Man, a new Pres., A.D., and REA GM. *That would be a lot of new faces around.

i just hope the search committee doesn't hire a guy so gungho for di that he writes checks the university (or its alumni) can't cash

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-20-2005, 08:20 PM
i just hope the search committee doesn't hire a guy so gungho for di that he writes checks the university (or its alumni) can't cash

Definately, but the Board of Higher Ed does the hiring don't they? It will be interesting if it happens to see who applies.

Bisonguy
05-20-2005, 08:25 PM

I doubt a new president would be that gung-ho about it. Interesting that both Thomas, and now Kupchella, were/are looking to leave UND at a pretty major fork in the road for the athletics program.

If there's completely new leadership at UND, who knows what might happen? A move to DI could be decided quickly, or the new president might want to cease looking past DII.

JBB
05-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I think your seeing a house cleaning. It wasnt exactly a step up for Thomas and this guy is not an asset. undII has suffered several black eyes under his leadership. The acomplishments are few if any. I think he was politely told to quietly look for another job, as was Thomas. the BB coaches are next.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I think your seeing a house cleaning. *It wasnt exactly a step up for Thomas and this guy is not an asset. *undII has suffered several black eyes under his leadership. *The acomplishments are few if any. *I think he was politely told to quietly look for another job, as was Thomas. * the BB coaches are next.

I would have to disagree with this, mainly on the point that in his letter to Marshall he asked that it not be let known that he had applied for the job. He wanted it to be confidential. If he was told to look around I think he would have let it be known that he was actively looking.

Thomas' move was obviously a move up. To be the commissioner of the conference is not a move up?

And I don't think they would tell Glas and Roebuck to go looking for other jobs. If they were to ever get rid of Glas (why would they get rid of Roebuck?) they wouldn't tell him to look for another job, they would either fire him or move him out of the position and into another within the University, which is most likely, I think, based on his relationships with so many people within the community, the state, and the entire region. He also has a lot of connections with many different bball coaches in the country. Those relationships are always helpful to have around.

bisonranch
05-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't think a new prez. whoever it is will make a big push to DI, if he/she's smart. Kupchella was a little conservative on the issue, but he was right not to charge forward since the finances are in such a bad state. They're in a completely different state than when NDSU moved, the economics for UND are much different.

kchats
05-20-2005, 11:21 PM
The question is if Kupchella gets the Marshall job will he try and get them to move back to division II? He seems to be very anti division I so the best thing for Marshall in his mind would be to move back to division II and focus on academics. ;)

Bison_Dan
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
rt's new job a move up? *Okay think what you want. *Talking with some people in gf, some are saying that Earl S. and Tom Clifford are behind some of the discord at und. *Those two are very powerful and have a large say in what happens at und. *They pretty much control the almuni assoc. and the rea. *I think that both rt and chuck didn't like their influence. *But that's my opinion, but there has to be a reason for their departure.

RedRiver
06-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Kupchella released a statement today that he was not offered nor will he be a further candidate for the Marshall job. So I guess he'll remain at UND for the time being and continue his anti DI position.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Kupchella released a statement today that he was not offered nor will he be a further candidate for the Marshall job. *So I guess he'll remain at UND for the time being and continue his anti DI position.

I think he will continue to look for another job. He has stated that he feels he has done all he can at UND. That statement made a lot of people hope he got the Marshall job.

He has done a great job at UND and wish him the best. Some choose to look at his stance on athletics as his entire portfolio. I would urge them to look at what else has happened during his tenure, it is quite impressive!

IowaBison
06-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I think he will continue to look for another job. *He has stated that he feels he has done all he can at UND. *That statement made a lot of people hope he got the Marshall job. *

He has done a great job at UND and wish him the best. *Some choose to look at his stance on athletics as his entire portfolio. *I would urge them to look at what else has happened during his tenure, it is quite impressive!

he has let the state board of higher education know that he will be done as of next June 30th.

they now get to decide if they want to can him or wait a year (i mean buy out his contract)

i think they should buy out his contract, i've never understood why you should pay some one who doesn't want to be there and is spending time he (or she) should be working looking for another job.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-07-2005, 08:04 PM
So if that were to happen (buy out) would they have an interim president for the time being? How long would a school go without a president? How long does the process take of hiring a new president? Not sure if anyone knows the answers to these questions, but maybe someone has some examples.

Like I said, I think he's done a wonderful job, but I agree that when someone doesn't want to be there why keep them. They are not going to put everything into it that they can if they don't have the passion for it anymore.

IowaBison
06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
So if that were to happen (buy out) would they have an interim president for the time being? *How long would a school go without a president? *How long does the process take of hiring a new president? *Not sure if anyone knows the answers to these questions, but maybe someone has some examples. *

Like I said, I think he's done a wonderful job, but I agree that when someone doesn't want to be there why keep them. *They are not going to put everything into it that they can if they don't have the passion for it anymore.

there was a really interesting article on presidential head hunting lin ast week's edition of the chronicle of higher education.

it would take at least a year to do a decent job of finding a new president (Marshall was made aware of their vacancy in December and made a decision at hyperspeed).

und will have an interim president if they can kupchella (which they should also do for his piss poor choice of words in the last seven months).

the thing I hate most about this is that the whole state and anyone else interested in UND of Fighting Sioux athletics has to live through the whole name debate thing again.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Wow, a year seems like an awfully long time. Maybe they will have Kupchella fullfill his contract through the next year, and in the meantime start their search? However, if Kupchella knows Drew Rosenhous at all he will probably end up asking for a new contract for the next year! ;D

People are bringing up the name debate but will that be a very hot topic? I don't think it will as the president will have no power over the choice. The Board put down the ruling. I would think it would be a lost cause to go after the president and not the board members. But, I'm sure that there will be some grumblings.

NDSU_grad
06-07-2005, 08:42 PM
It seems to me that Kupchella could do just as well as interim president. Obviously he couldn't initiate any 'big-picture' type programs, but neither could an interim president. He should be able to handle the day-to-day activities of a university president ok.

RedRiver
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I doubt ND taxpayers will want higher ed to buy out Kupchella at over $150,000. My bet is that he serves out the majority of the remaining year while a new president is selected to and ready to assume duties by July 1, 2006.

tony
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
UND's uber-booster on the State Board of Higher Ed (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11760201.htm) is making hints about buying out K's contract. I think this nothing to do with K leaving in a year and everything to do with simmering discontent over him not bowing and scraping enough to hockey/nickname interests.

Bison_Dan
06-08-2005, 05:24 PM
UND's uber-booster on the State Board of Higher Ed (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11760201.htm) is making hints about buying out K's contract. I think this nothing to do with K leaving in a year and everything to do with simmering discontent over him not bowing and scraping enough to hockey/nickname interests.

I think his wanting to leave is due to 2 things: 1 - his recent foot and mouth disease that he's aquired. 2 - his public humiliation of getting kicked out of Fargo.

JBB
06-08-2005, 11:10 PM
I am opposed to buying the contract out. He was good enough to hire, he is good enough to live up to his obligations. If the board that makes these decisions is busy buying out contracts early they should be looked over carefully because their decision making abilities are in question.

bisongold
06-09-2005, 01:15 AM
As a Bison fan, I am thrilled that Kupchella is staying!!