PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to USA Wrestling

Tatanka
07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Dear USA Wrestling,

First let me say that we here in Fargo really enjoy hosting your tournament. It gives our area and our school a chance to show off our town, our facilities, and our hospitality to the rest of the nation. This event brings thousands of people to North Dakota who would otherwise never ever think of seeing this part of the world.

I have read with great interest the articles in the Forum regarding the renewal of your contract with NDSU/the FargoDome. This renewal, and your patronage, obviously have a huge economic impact on the place I call home.

Having said that, your opposition to a guy with a tent across the street from the Dome selling clothes is absurd. This company is doing nothing illegal, is not selling bootleg merchandise sporting a knock-off of the USA Wrestling logo, or doing anything remotely wrong. This company is simply trying to make a buck the traditional American way.

To bully NDSU and the city of Fargo by threatening to pull your event from our city due to this "unofficial" clothes retailer is absolute crap and you should be embarrassed. To say, as I saw on the 6PM news, that the agreement is in place but if the city of Fargo and NDSU can't control renegade clothes salesmen, you'll invoke an escape clause in the contract and bid out the event is nothing short of rediculous.

To put the NDSU administration and the Fargo CVB in the position you have is deplorable. These people work very hard to promote our town and to bring in conventions and events (and the money they generate) and shouldn't have to put up with your gradeschool playground shennanigans.

USA Wrestling, there's no need to take action to save your "official" vendor, whose sales are supposedly down 20% due to this local outfit: I've already called the waaaaambulance. They're on their way. There's a thousand reasons why this douchebag vendor's sales might be down. Maybe his wares are priced too high. Maybe he isn't selling what people want to buy. Good for him that he's paid you "six figures" to be the only official clothes vendor. If that vendor can't make it on a free market (again, let's not forget he's the only one at the event) maybe you can spring for the pity party.

What is Fargo supposed to do, exactly? Shut down the mall? Shut down Scheels? (wait until next year when the new big megastore is open, I'm sure they'll rope off all of the wrestling gear they sell just for you!) Shut down anyone who sells clothes that might be worn by a wrestler? Preposterous.

To the entrepreneur who's in charge of this local outfit, thanks for taking one for the team. Your willingness to work things out with these douchebags is laudible. If I was you, I'd set up camp down off of 13th Avenue and catch all the traffic from all the hotels in that stretch. People have to sleep somewhere, and chances are they'll find you if you have what they want to buy. It's a damn shame things have to play out like this but your community thanks you for your sense of civic duty.

Thanks for your time, if you bothered to read this far. You disgust me.
Tatanka

roadwarrior
07-30-2005, 02:30 AM
In your words, Tatanka: ++

runtheoption
07-30-2005, 03:57 AM
Reveren'!!!

IowaBison
07-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Dear USA Wrestling,

First let me say that we here in Fargo really enjoy hosting your tournament. *It gives our area and our school a chance to show off our town, our facilities, and our hospitality to the rest of the nation. *This event brings thousands of people to North Dakota who would otherwise never ever think of seeing this part of the world.

I have read with great interest the articles in the Forum regarding the renewal of your contract with NDSU/the FargoDome. *This renewal, and your patronage, obviously have a huge economic impact on the place I call home.

Having said that, your opposition to a guy with a tent across the street from the Dome selling clothes is absurd. *This company is doing nothing illegal, is not selling bootleg merchandise sporting a knock-off of the USA Wrestling logo, or doing anything remotely wrong. *This company is simply trying to make a buck the traditional American way. *

To bully NDSU and the city of Fargo by threatening to pull your event from our city due to this "unofficial" clothes retailer is absolute crap and you should be embarrassed. *To say, as I saw on the 6PM news, that the agreement is in place but if the city of Fargo and NDSU can't control renegade clothes salesmen, you'll invoke an escape clause in the contract and bid out the event is nothing short of rediculous.

To put the NDSU administration and the Fargo CVB in the position you have is deplorable. *These people work very hard to promote our town and to bring in conventions and events (and the money they generate) and shouldn't have to put up with your gradeschool playground shennanigans.

USA Wrestling, there's no need to take action to save your "official" vendor, whose sales are supposedly down 20% due to this local outfit: *I've already called the waaaaambulance. *They're on their way. *There's a thousand reasons why this douchebag vendor's sales might be down. *Maybe his wares are priced too high. *Maybe he isn't selling what people want to buy. *Good for him that he's paid you "six figures" to be the only official clothes vendor. *If that vendor can't make it on a free market (again, let's not forget he's the only one at the event) maybe you can spring for the pity party.

What is Fargo supposed to do, exactly? *Shut down the mall? *Shut down Scheels? (wait until next year when the new big megastore is open, I'm sure they'll rope off all of the wrestling gear they sell just for you!) *Shut down anyone who sells clothes that might be worn by a wrestler? *Preposterous.

To the entrepreneur who's in charge of this local outfit, thanks for taking one for the team. *Your willingness to work things out with these douchebags is laudible. *If I was you, I'd set up camp down off of 13th Avenue and catch all the traffic from all the hotels in that stretch. *People have to sleep somewhere, and chances are they'll find you if you have what they want to buy. *It's a damn shame things have to play out like this but your community thanks you for your sense of civic duty.

Thanks for your time, if you bothered to read this far. *You disgust me.
Tatanka

Sorry you feel that way Tatanka but I completely disagree.

There is nothing illegal about USA wrestling informing those in Fargo that the actions of Wrestling Apparel were affecting their bottom line to such an extent that it was going to consider looking for another venue.

Don't you believe that the threat by USA Wrestling is credible? I sure as hell do.

Tatanka
07-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Hey, if we all agreed on everything the world would be a boring place.

The threat is credible (in that I do think USA Wrestling would follow through and move the tournament), but I think their opposition to an off-site clothing vendor is absurd.

Absolutely it's "legal" for USA Wrestling to make whatever wild-ass "I only want blue M&M's in the room backstage" demands they want in their contract. There's nothing illegal about their position, but that doesn't make it right, either.

I'm sure that WA made some money, but is that money made that would have all gone to this "official" vendor? Please.

I think this all boils down to a big game of chicken. The "official vendor" is shaking down USA Wrestling, holding their "six figure" franchise fee over their heads. USAW turns around and shakes down NDSU and the city of Fargo. For what? This "official vendor" already has what they contracted for--they are the only clothing vendor allowed on the tournament site. They're still the only vendor selling "official" tournament merchandise. Period. The fact their sales are down 20% (IF that's to be believed) is too bad for them. All I'm saying is where does it end? Even if they shut down a guy who is (100% legally) operating off-site, does that guarantee the "official vendor" his sales? Where does it stop? Do they shut down all competition in town so this "official vendor" douchebag can have a complete monopoly for his "six figures"? I just don't think that's reasonable or feasible. It's just poor, and unbecoming of a national organization. They should be embarrassed.

Just my $0.025 (after the half-penny Fargodome sales tax)

SDbison
07-31-2005, 02:55 AM
I agree with you 100% Tatanka. I used to be proud of the fact Fargo / NDSU was hosting this event for so long and everyone seemed happy. Now my opinion of USA Wrestling is greatly diminished. Did those ya hoos ever think that maybe with the higher price of gas, lodging, etc, that people were not buying as much, or just buying T-shirts versus sweatshirts. Oh no, they just blame the little guy in the tent across the street. In my opinion the tent guy has a lot of class to just walk away to make them all happy.

Hammerhead
08-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Isn't there also a stink about not allowing wrestlers to trade singlets because a few of the younger ones got dupes in the past?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I couldn't believe when I read this story in the paper. I'm with you Tatanka. So how big is the radius around the FargoDome that businesses can't sell shirts? I hope this guy sets up his tent in another part of town and next year people flock to it.

When they came out saying that the "official vendor" had lost 20% of sales I actually laughed out loud. Perhaps people didn't like his 50-50 cotton-polyester blend shirts. Perhaps they didn't like that the logos stuck to your skin when it was hot out. And maybe 20% pf the people who bought shirts there last year had just purchased brand new pink "Who Farted?" tank tops and did not have the money to buy a wrestling shirt. Either way it is absurd to blame this small local vendor for your sales.

Rediculous...absolutely rediculous.

WYOBISONMAN
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
USA Wrestling was overboard on trying to control all the commerce.....it isn't fair.

Tatanka
08-02-2005, 01:50 AM
...And maybe 20% pf the people who bought shirts there last year had just purchased brand new pink "Who Farted?" tank tops and did not have the money to buy a wrestling shirt...
Actually, Tatanka's market research suggests that the popular color was green.
http://images.t-shirts.com/printed/jpegs/RES001/medium/WHO%20FARTED.jpg

JBB
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
At least they didnt demand that we fire the President of the university, change coaches, promise not to change our nickname and make us change logos. *They didnt even set up a sports management company to run NDSU athletics. *Id say USA Wrestling is pretty easy to get along with if you think about it. ::)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
At least they didnt demand that we fire the President of the university, change coaches, promise not to change our nickname and make us change logos. *They didnt even set up a sports management company to run NDSU athletics. *Id say USA Wrestling is pretty easy to get along with if you think about it.

JBB, I'm surprised you have time to post here, I thought you were too busy pretending to be a Sioux fan on Siouxsports.com? Idiot

Herd_Mentality
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
I was honestly surprised they didn't want Varsity Mart to shut down during the tournament since that was also a close competitor.

In related news, "Vote Pedro" tshirt sales at Target were up 300% that week.

JBB
08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I really dont see what the personal attack has to do with my comment? *It was after all, meant to be light hearted with a kernal of truth. Probably too large a kernal for some to swallow? Certainly not a comment directed at or intended to belittle any individual. *

If Jim allows me to post Ill pretend to be whatever I want. *You know very well, if you read that board that I told everyone who I was.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
I really dont see what the personal attack has to do with my comment? *It was after all, meant to be light hearted with a kernal of truth. *Probably too large a kernal for some to swallow? *Certainly not a comment directed at or intended to belittle any individual. *

If Jim allows me to post Ill pretend to be whatever I want. *You know very well, if you read that board that I told everyone who I was.

Oh, who were you directing this at:

"didnt demand that we fire the President of the university, change coaches, promise not to change our nickname and make us change logos."

seems fishy.

Sure you told everyone who you were, just like Hager180 told everyone on here who he was.

Bison_Dan
08-03-2005, 04:21 PM

"didnt demand that we fire the President of the university, change coaches, promise not to change our nickname and make us change logos."

Why und of course! Your not going to sit there and tell everyone that ralph didn't have anything to do with hanging 100 million over the head of und with the demands of : new president, new AD, and no name change are you?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Why und of course! *Your not going to sit there and tell everyone that ralph didn't have anything to do with hanging 100 million over the head of und with the demands of : *new president, new AD, and no name change are you? *

Huh?

"Certainly not a comment directed at or intended to belittle any individual."

You are agreeing with my post then Daniel. Gracias

JBB
08-03-2005, 05:21 PM

seems fishy.

Sure you told everyone who you were, just like Hager180 told everyone on here who he was.

Not at you. *I dont recall mentioning your name. *How you could construe my post as a personal attack is beyond me. *If the shoe fits wear it, but please try and be civil. *I believe the rules prohibit personal attacks.

You may be uncomfortable with what your university did, but thats not personal my friend, its fair game. *Possibly it would have been easier for you if I had said rediculous, just rediculous when I compared USA Wrestling with the "trade off".

And please, if your not up to date on suesuck@sports dont be calling me a liar. *Check out the last 10 posts of EdtheFred. *You will find out very quickly what the truth is. *

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Not at you. *I dont recall mentioning your name. *How you could construe my post as a personal attack is beyond me. *If the shoe fits wear it, but please try and be civil. *I believe the rules prohibit personal attacks.

You may be uncomfortable with what your university did, but thats not personal my friend, its fair game. *Possibly it would have been easier for you if I had said rediculous, just rediculous when I compared USA Wrestling with the "trade off".

And please, if your not up to date on suesuck@sports dont be calling me a liar. *Check out the last 10 posts of EdtheFred. *You will find out very quickly what the truth is. *

A lesson in civility from JBB. HA!

Yeah, and Hager180 came clean too. Classy

sambini
08-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Its good to see Gene Taylor got the USA WRESTLING for 3 more years. I think NDSU shoulf be commended on a fine job . THANKS GENE TAYLOR AND BUCKY . You make Fargo and the area proud.