PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Poll on North Dakota

Bison_Kent
07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Everyone needs to vote. Vote for NDSU in everything you can.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/fiftyfifty/polling?event_id=1448

TheBisonator
07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
"University of North Dakota wins sixth Div. II football national title (2001)"

Ummmm... WTF??

TheBisonator
07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
BTW, we're getting creamed by sue hockey.

wfduck
07-15-2005, 03:05 AM
favorite sport: hunting is not on the list? Oh....my....God.... :o :o :o :o :o

kchats
07-15-2005, 03:30 AM
Pretty crappy poll overall. They didn't have any of the good things that happened at NDSU on the board and they had the gall to try and take a bunch of NDSU's national championships and give them to UND. Lat time I remembered it was 8 national championships for NDSU and 1 for UND. I would also say the Bison going dvision I was more memorable than alot of the other crap on their.

Hammerhead
07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
SI did this kind of thing a couple of years ago. They chose curling for the featured article when they did N.D. sports.

Bisonguy
07-15-2005, 12:40 PM
SI did this kind of thing a couple of years ago. *They chose curling for the featured article when they did N.D. sports. *

The feature this year will be a Cal Ripken league baseball game in Oakes.

Paulie
07-15-2005, 03:34 PM
The feature this year will be a Cal Ripken league baseball game in Oakes.

Oakes? What, was Sheldon not far enough out of the way for them?

Bison_Kent
07-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Oakes is close to my home town of LaMoure (big rivals to this day, I believe, between my Loboes and the Tornados). *Oakes is also where Phil Hanson is from.

TheBisonator
07-15-2005, 07:56 PM
My former roomate was from Oakes. He didn't really care for the place. He told me it's basically a normal-blah small prairie town of 2,000. I think it's actually one of the few ND small towns that aren't shrinking.

Paulie
07-15-2005, 08:21 PM
My former roomate was from Oakes. He didn't really care for the place. He told me it's basically a normal-blah small prairie town of 2,000. I think it's actually one of the few ND small towns that aren't shrinking.

Which college is in Oakes? Don't they play in some crazy conference that's not even NAIA?

TheBisonator
07-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Which college is in Oakes? Don't they play in some crazy conference that's not even NAIA?

You're thinking of Trinity Bible College in Ellendale who plays in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC). MN-Morris is in that conference. I have no idea if they're classified as NAIA or DIII.

Bison_Kent
07-16-2005, 12:33 AM
The Trinity Bible College Lions play in the Upper Midwest Conference for football only (had to look it up.) This conference has schools (besides ND) in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Illinios.

TBC plays in the Northern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference for all other sports. Alexandria Technical College (Alexandria, MN), Association Free Lutheran Bible School (Plymouth, MN), Crossroads College (Rochester, MN), Oak Hills Bible College (Bemidji, MN), Pillsbury Baptist Bible College (Owatonna, MN), Providence College (Otterburne, MB), Saint Cloud Technical College (Saint Cloud, MN) are the other schools that I could find.

Even though I am from LaMoure originally (about 45 miles apart), I can't say that I ever attended a TBC event.

BisonMav
07-17-2005, 03:32 AM
What's funny is it says Angie Dickinson is an Author, but I have this shower scene in the movie "Dressed to Kill" going through my mind. :o

Beats anything I have ever seen on Lawrence Welk.

Gamehunter
07-17-2005, 02:57 PM
BTW, we're getting creamed by sue hockey.

Looks to me like the numbers have changed quite a bit.

TheBisonator
07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
HOLY SCHNIKEES!!!

4) Favorite North Dakota team?

46.9% North Dakota State (football)
34.5% Univ. of North Dakota (hockey)
8.6% North Dakota State (basketball)
5.4% Univ. of North Dakota (football)
2.1% Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks (baseball)
1.1% Dakota Wizards (basketball)
0.6% Univ. of North Dakota (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

43.9% North Dakota State vs. South Dakota State (football)
42.9% Univ. of North Dakota vs. Univ. of Minnesota (hockey)
9.1% North Dakota State vs. South Dakota State (basketball)
4.2% Univ. of North Dakota vs. Univ. of South Dakota (football)

8) Better place to watch a game?

60.3% Fargo Dome, North Dakota State football
39.7% Ralph Engelstad Arena, North Dakota hockey

02Bison
07-17-2005, 04:11 PM
"University of North Dakota wins sixth Div. II football national title (2001)"

Ummmm... WTF??

Well, they fixed that error. I'm sure they got a lot of crap from site readers about that. I personally sent an e-mail to ESPN and told them to get it right. It seems national news sources always get stuff mixed up when they do a story on North Dakota (i.e. mixing up Fargo/Grand Forks and NDSU/UND.)

BisonMav
07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
It doesn't look like a very reliable poll.

02Bison
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
It doesn't look like a very reliable poll.

Is there even such a thing as a reliable poll online?

sambini
07-18-2005, 02:55 AM
north dakota state more national championships in all sports. the best in the state of north dakota.

tony
07-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Hehehe, nice research, ESPN.

I think Bentrim setting the national record for career rushing TDs against UND should have been on the list of most memorable sports moments and, even if UND isn't participating at the moment, NDSU vs UND football is the biggest rivalry in the state... they could have just called it NDSU v UND anything.

WYOBISONMAN
07-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I had to vote for Phil Jackson over Maris......Damn Jackson is a stud.....and coaching the Lakers again!!!

BisonMav
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I had to vote for Phil Jackson over Maris......Damn Jackson is a stud.....and coaching the Lakers again!!!

Sounds like Jackson is from your hometown? ;)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
07-18-2005, 06:14 PM

I took Jackson also. Although Maris had a great year and a memorable career, Jackson is one of the best coaches the NBA has EVER had. That's enough in my book to put him at the top. I'm surprised Lute Olson didn't have more votes.

Then again, as has been posted many times on here internet polls are not accurate. Especially ones like this where you can vote as many times as you want. hmmmm.....

tony
07-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Seriously, if you are going to talk about best coaches from ND, Ron Erhardt would be my pick - he won at the HS, college, and NFL levels. Jackson is a great BB coach, but if you are talking about a ND angle, Erhardt is the guy.

BisonMav
07-18-2005, 08:59 PM
I took Jackson also. *Although Maris had a great year and a memorable career

Back to back MVP's for Maris, 7 World Series, 4 sport star in HS, recruited for football by Bud Wilkinson at Oklahoma. Still holds the National High School record of 4 kick returns for TD's in one game. Guess I was thinking of athletes vs coaches. ::)

WYOBISONMAN
07-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Sounds like Jackson is from your hometown? *;)

I guess I maybe heard he was from Williston...... ;D

Gamehunter
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
I guess I maybe heard he was from Williston...... ;D

The fieldhouse is named after him.

wfduck
07-19-2005, 12:08 PM
or is that an outhouse ;) It is Williston....

mikelsch
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Current Leaders as of 10:30 (CST) on July 19. If you haven't voted, please do so. If you have voted, vote again. There is no reason why anything related to UND should win or even come close.

The ESPN 50 in 50 tour will show North Dakota on Saturday, July 23 from Oakes. They will be at the Cal Ripken Baseball tournament.

1) Most memorable sports moment?

79.9% Roger Maris hits 61 home runs to establish new MLB single-season record (1961)
14.6% University of North Dakota wins seventh NCAA hockey title (2000)
3.0% North Dakota defeats North Dakota St. 28-21 in OT in Nickel Trophy game (2003)
1.8% University of North Dakota wins first Div. II football national title (2001)
0.6% Doug Smail ties record with four goals as UND wins NCAA hockey title (1980)

2) Most popular sport?

57.8% Football
33.2% Hockey
3.4% Baseball
3.1% Basketball
0.8% Fishing
0.7% Golf
0.5% Soccer
0.4% Auto racing

3) Favorite pro team?

59.7% Minnesota Vikings
15.4% Minnesota Twins
12.0% Green Bay Packers
7.2% Minnesota Timberwolves
1.8% Dallas Cowboys
1.5% Minnesota Wild
1.5% Chicago Cubs
0.9% New York Yankees

4) Favorite North Dakota team?

54.6% North Dakota State (football)
35.9% Univ. of North Dakota (hockey)
3.9% Univ. of North Dakota (football)
3.0% North Dakota State (basketball)
1.3% Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks (baseball)
0.7% Dakota Wizards (basketball)
0.4% Univ. of North Dakota (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

51.8% North Dakota State vs. South Dakota State (football)
42.6% Univ. of North Dakota vs. Univ. of Minnesota (hockey)
3.3% North Dakota State vs. South Dakota State (basketball)
2.3% Univ. of North Dakota vs. Univ. of South Dakota (football)

6) Best homegrown product?

54.3% Roger Maris (baseball)
17.0% Darin Erstad (baseball)
10.7% Rick Helling (baseball)
9.9% Phil Jackson (basketball)
7.2% Virgil Hill (boxing)
0.9% Lute Olson (basketball)

7) Should the University of North Dakota change it's current "Fighting Sioux" nickname?

80.7% No
19.3% Yes

8. Better place to watch a game?

59.5% Fargo Dome, North Dakota State football
40.5% Ralph Engelstad Arena, North Dakota hockey

9) Favorite personality or historical figure?

38.9% Lawrence Welk (musician)
23.4% Angie Dickinson (author)
22.4% Louis L'Amour (author)
11.4% Jonny Lang (musician)
3.9% Peggy Lee (singer)

10) Have you been to North Dakota?

74.5% Yes
25.5% No

Total Votes: 20,529

TheBisonator
07-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Holy Cripes... It's not a reliable poll, but it's still very interesting...

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
07-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Back to back MVP's for Maris, 7 World Series, 4 sport star in HS, recruited for football by Bud Wilkinson at Oklahoma. *Still holds the National High School record of 4 kick returns for TD's in one game. *Guess I was thinking of athletes vs coaches. * ::)

Doesn't say anything about athletes vs. coaches. Phil Jackson is one of the best of all time at his job. Can't say the same about Maris. I mean 9 championships???

Don't really care about 4 sport star (Thousands have been four sport stars ), who recruited him (thousands have been recruited by DI teams), or the most overpublicized (in ND) record ever. Doesn't mean much.

Then again, to each his own. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Unless you disagree to agree to disagree then we'll just have to disagree about agreeing to disagree.

Bison_Dan
07-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Doesn't say anything about athletes vs. coaches. *Phil Jackson is one of the best of all time at his job. *Can't say the same about Maris. *I mean 9 championships??? *

Don't really care about 4 sport star (Thousands have been four sport stars ), who recruited him (thousands have been recruited by DI teams), or the most overpublicized (in ND) record ever. Doesn't mean much. *

Then again, to each his own. *We'll just have to agree to disagree. *Unless you disagree to agree to disagree then we'll just have to disagree about agreeing to disagree.

If I thought that it was his coaching that created the championships I would agree with you.

WYOBISONMAN
07-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Someone has to keep all the egos in line so that the team works........Jackson excels at that like no other.

kchats
07-19-2005, 11:31 PM
We'll see what he does with the Lakers next year without Shaq. The only thing he has on the team is Kobe "The Rapist" Bryant who he says is uncoachable. I doubt he wins another one with that team.

TheBisonator
07-19-2005, 11:40 PM
We'll see what he does with the Lakers next year without Shaq. *The only thing he has on the team is Kobe "The Rapist" Bryant who he says is uncoachable. *I doubt he wins another one with that team.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/pics/00hjeopardy3.jpg

"I'll take 'The Rapists' for $200, Alex."

http://www.fakenews.net/archive/impressions/i/jeopardy_96_12_07_n.jpg

Bisonguy
07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Looks like the UND fans voted about 10,000 times last night. ::)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/pics/00hjeopardy3.jpg

"I'll take 'The Rapists' for $200, Alex."

http://www.fakenews.net/archive/impressions/i/jeopardy_96_12_07_n.jpg

Classic.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
We'll see what he does with the Lakers next year without Shaq. *The only thing he has on the team is Kobe "The Rapist" Bryant who he says is uncoachable. *I doubt he wins another one with that team.

How could he when the Spurs are the best team in the world by a long shot?

I don't see him winning a championship with them next year for sure, but give him two or three years and see what happens. I like the team they are putting together out there.

But again, how are they going to win it when they need to face my Spurs who are, again going to be the best team in the world. Phoenix will be second best and probably Miami third. Although Detroit and Indiana should be pretty good. It'll be interesting to see what Flip does with the Pistons. Hopefully he stays true to form and bows out in the first round. (2004=fluke)

But back to Jackson, he'll have his hands full this year.

sambini
08-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I agree on Phil Jackson and also he got a ring as a player. I also think Roger should have his drug free record back. I think we should be proud of all the great athletes from this state who have honored this state proudly on and off the field.