PDA

View Full Version : Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

BisonMav
08-11-2005, 12:33 PM
My favorite was Dr James Grier Zoology. IMO was the most enthusiastic about the courses he taught. Spent a week with him and a couple grad students, on a field trip. Very educational and interesting. Also on my favorites list would be the late Dr Bill Reid History.

Green-N-Gold
08-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Raghu Tadepalli in the business dept. Very nice man and a good prof.

84grad
08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Bill Beatty, Psychology Department

NDSU_grad
08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I've had so many great professors at NDSU.
But my favorite professor would be Jay Goos, Soil Science department. Following close behind would be Jim Richardson (Soil Science) and the aforementioned James Grier.

IowaBison
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Bill Wilson, ag economist extraordinaire

tcbison
08-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I will second the nomination for Dr. Jay Goos. I took his soils class as an Ag elective and it was one of the best classes I took in college. He even sang in a wedding for one of my friends.

Bill Wilson was tough but I learned a ton in his Ag Marketing class. He would say that the weekly assignment used to be term projects for grad students. That class took up a lot of time but it was very good.

kchats
08-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Don Anderson in Civil Engineering. Very funny guy that knew how to teach and have fun doing it. I went out to the bar with him quite a bit my Junior and Senior years. I still E-mail him from time to time. He was also my advisor.

IL_Bison
08-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Jim Tilton in Animal Science, taught Reproductive Physiology. Derek Killilea in Biochemistry was also an excellent instructor.

insane_ponderer
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Dr. Eugene Berry in the Veterinary and Microbiology Dept.

One of the most intelligent people I have ever met.

Very active on campus as well, current presiding officer of the univ. senate, teaches honors classes outside of the sciences, and does alot of work with the diversity council on campus and across the u.s.

not to mention he's always willing to bullshit for 45 minutes and stop at the turf for one on his way home.

Gamehunter
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Jim Coykendall for Calculus

Green-N-Gold
08-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Jim Coykendall for Calculus

I had Val Smith and Llloyd Olson...bad, bad, BAD.

coloradobison
08-12-2005, 06:33 PM
2nd for Coykendall. I heard such horror stories about his class before i took it, but once i got in there, his enthusiasm and teaching style did it for me.

TheBisonator
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Ron Ramsay, prof. of Architectural History. He was like a storyteller, and his lectures were really entertaining. I always looked forward to his class.

Gamehunter
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Well, the thing with Coykendall is that most people find his class very difficult and then drop out. The tests are extremely difficult, no doubt, but it is curved and he is always willing to help you get through it.

Coykendall made going to 8am class almost fun. I think i only skipped lecture once.

Gamehunter
08-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Ohh, another one of my favorites is Terry Pilling for Univeristy Physics. I dunno if very many of you would know him though. That class was very fun, and quite easy too. He loved to tell stories.

BisonInTexas
08-13-2005, 02:01 AM
My favorite was Ernie Anderson in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. He loved to talk football in class and really was a joy. He was retired (professor emeritus) but still taught and was the best teacher I ever had. He oftened told "war stories" about amplifier designs that he did when he worked in the industry, and often new the namesakes of circuit designs (I remember him talking about "my friend Otto Schmitt" as we learned about the Schmitt trigger, a well known waveform generator that is in every electronics textbook).

My favorite memory is of the time that my roommates and I were cramming for a test one night and couldn't agree on how to solve a particular problem. On a lark, we called Ernie. He said, "Why don't you come by my house and we'll go through it together?". So my roommates and I drove over and spent the evening studying with our teacher. He passed away my senior year.

I hadn't thought about him for a while - thanks for this thread. It makes me realize how lucky I was to attend NDSU.

God bless Ernie.

Craig

BisonMav
08-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Ohh, another one of my favorites is Terry Pilling for Univeristy Physics. *I dunno if very many of you would know him though. *That class was very fun, and quite easy too. *He loved to tell stories.

I took physics from Phil Hetland, great comedy routine. He almost lost the family jewels in class one day. He had the long spring out to show wave motion. The student holding the other end of the spring let go. Phil's eye's got as big a baseballs.

Trimmy
08-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Coykendall - Calculus
Patrick "PK" Kelly - Physics

WYOBISONMAN
08-15-2005, 01:55 PM
My vote would go to Curtis Amlund in Political Science......truely the college prof type......

wfduck
08-16-2005, 11:35 AM
My vote would go to Curtis Amlund in Political Science......truely the college prof type......

I'll agree he was the prototype college prof. but he was a little over the top? " :PI don't know the zip code" :P

Uni_of_No_Diks
08-23-2005, 07:02 PM
OMG>. the Teach Assistants in those years were HORRIBLE!!

Plus.. business admin teachers that couldnt SPEAK ENGLISH!!

how do these people get hired!! my god!!!.. plus Ive seen some of them still on campus.. what an insult...

good teachers Mr Brown in Bus Admin.. he is still there.. and Ms Klatt <<?? Biggest set of ( . ) ( . )'s Ive ever seen..... ha ha

go_bison
08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Mark Nawrot - Psychology

Bison 4 Life
11-06-2018, 12:27 AM
I stumbled across this thread totally randomly. Fun subject. There have been 13 graduating classes since this popped up so I imagine lots of new opinions.

Since I joined a few years after this, I'll put mine out.

Robert Wood - Political Science

Mark Meister - Communication

Vet70
11-06-2018, 12:41 AM
I stumbled across this thread totally randomly. Fun subject. There have been 13 graduating classes since this popped up so I imagine lots of new opinions.

Wood? Really? He is an idiot.

Bison 4 Life
11-06-2018, 12:43 AM

Aw. I had him for Con Law. It was a really hard class but I loved it.

BlueBisonRock
11-06-2018, 01:20 AM
Glad this thread was re-opened.

Thor Hertzguard and Bill Nelson from the Ag Econ mafia. Doris Fisher from the math / statistics arena.

Bill taught me to always read and understand chapter one. Thor made macro real interesting and always had stories. And Doris made statistics make sense.

runtheoption
11-06-2018, 01:41 AM

Aw. I had him for Con Law. It was a really hard class but I loved it.

He was also my favorite, because he was an idiot! :)

Bison 4 Life
11-06-2018, 01:48 AM
He was also my favorite, because he was an idiot! :)

I might be missing some kind of inside joke here. The exams were pretty brutal. I remember having to take a make up exam where I was required to fill a blue book from two essay questions. That was rough.

westnodak93bison
11-06-2018, 02:31 AM
Gill Nelson math department. Only guy I've ever seen blow his nose in his hankey then clean his glasses with same hankey moments later

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EC8CH
11-06-2018, 03:20 AM
Goplen.

Thermodynamics can be a bitch in Saudi.

SlickVic
11-06-2018, 04:47 AM
dr. joe deutch

BisonTeacher
11-06-2018, 12:23 PM
My favorite was Dr James Grier Zoology. IMO was the most enthusiastic about the courses he taught. Spent a week with him and a couple grad students, on a field trip. Very educational and interesting. Also on my favorites list would be the late Dr Bill Reid History.

I was TA for Grier. BUt I never had his as a teacher. Cool guy.

Mark Nawrot - Psychology

I had both him and his wife as teachers. The wife was better IMO. He was all over the place.

For me it was Kevin McCaul. Hands down. Its never a bad time to reach out and tell a teacher what they meant to you. I ran into him and bought him a beverage at H&H once. Good time.

Bison 4 Life
11-06-2018, 12:33 PM
I should say that Mark Meister probably did me the biggest favor by not letting me into grad school. I wanted to get my graduate degrees in communications and become an academic. I had a less than ideal transcript so he said no.

I make way more and work way less than my wife does now.

Christopher Moen
11-06-2018, 02:49 PM
dr. joe deutch

Awesome dude, but his alter-ego, Sylvester, needs to work on his golf swing!

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

moosbah
11-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Donna Terbizan, Health, Nutrition and Exercise Sciences. Great prof. No nonsense and knows a ton.

jeffs
11-06-2018, 04:21 PM

I once heard Dr. Wood say he hoped UNd wouldn’t change their nickname because “Siou Suck” has such a nice ring to it. Political Science 101.

BisManBison
11-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Fred Haring

Math Professor who instructed me in Calc V (quarter system back in the day). He made you solve the problems and write an essay on how you were solving the problem and why. When I was done with that class I knew multivariable calculus inside and out. Unfortunately I haven't used it since and forgot it all.

After the first test, most of the class bombed the test. The first class after that test students came in and complained for the first 15 minutes about how "hard" the test was. Dr. Haring just let them rant and after he had enough he undoes the buttons on his arm and rolls his sleeve up. He then shows the class an ID tattoo the Germans gave him at a concentration camp during WWII and he looks at the class and simply said "You don't know what hard is". He rolled his sleeve up to complete silence in the room and began his next lecture. The next class I'd say 2/3 of the class was gone.

IndyBison
11-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Ron Ramsay, prof. of Architectural History. He was like a storyteller, and his lectures were really entertaining. I always looked forward to his class.

Agreed. The Arch history class was always interesting especially since he took most of the photos of the buildings he was showing us. My two favorite things from him were:

Cathedrals in Europe have a "Jesus Christ" affect. Not that they are overly religious, but when you walk in and look up you say, "Jesus Christ!"

The Fargodome was being built at time and he called it the Far-ga-da-me which rhymes with lobotomy which is what the architects who designed the thing must have had

My only complaint about his class is he would shut off the lights to show the slides and the next thing I would remember was him turning on the lights at the end of class.

Rik Ekstrom was the other architecture professor I liked because he actually understood the value of being involved in activities outside the program. None of the other professors did.

I enjoyed Patty Corwin. Her Soc 101 class was a blast! It appears she's still there. I also had a history class with Larry Peterson. He was funny and a little nuts.

80ALUM
11-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Steve Ward. Had him for a few English classes. He always gave me good grades on my writing and I liked the novels he assigned us to read. Dr. Broberg for Chemistry. Scoby was pretty entertaining for Biology. He was ahead of his time with his thoughts on the environment.

heffray
11-06-2018, 09:37 PM
Mark Aune - English.

bisonfanette
11-07-2018, 01:39 AM
I should say that Mark Meister probably did me the biggest favor by not letting me into grad school. I wanted to get my graduate degrees in communications and become an academic. I had a less than ideal transcript so he said no.

I make way more and work way less than my wife does now.

My sincere sympathy to your wife ... :facepalm:

KSBisonFan
11-07-2018, 02:39 AM
Glad this thread was re-opened.

Thor Hertzguard and Bill Nelson from the Ag Econ mafia. Doris Fisher from the math / statistics arena.

Bill taught me to always read and understand chapter one. Thor made macro real interesting and always had stories. And Doris made statistics make sense.

Thor was good with his economic story "Shoot the pigs". Cole Gustafson was my favorite. Ag Econ professor who passed away in a farm accident a few years ago.

Bison 4 Life
11-07-2018, 04:03 AM
My sincere sympathy to your wife ... :facepalm:

Yep, she's constantly working at night, grading, writing, researching.

I don't work half that hard. Don't worry, she gets to spend it.

gotts
11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Fred Haring

Math Professor who instructed me in Calc V (quarter system back in the day). He made you solve the problems and write an essay on how you were solving the problem and why. When I was done with that class I knew multivariable calculus inside and out. Unfortunately I haven't used it since and forgot it all.

After the first test, most of the class bombed the test. The first class after that test students came in and complained for the first 15 minutes about how "hard" the test was. Dr. Haring just let them rant and after he had enough he undoes the buttons on his arm and rolls his sleeve up. He then shows the class an ID tattoo the Germans gave him at a concentration camp during WWII and he looks at the class and simply said "You don't know what hard is". He rolled his sleeve up to complete silence in the room and began his next lecture. The next class I'd say 2/3 of the class was gone.

We had Fred Haring as a replacement for an ill teacher during fall semester of 2008 for Differential Equations. One of his stipulations for coming back to teach was that he wanted the final for the class to be 2-3 weeks before the final, because he wasn't going to be spending any time in December in North Dakota, he was going to Hawaii.

The first test he gave we did very poorly on, no one really complained though. A few showed up late during the class he was handing back the test, and as they came up to receive their tests he gave comments along the lines of "No need to cry about your score, everyone did poorly"

The rest of the semester went super smoothly in that class after the first test!

BattleBorn
11-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Sean Sather-Wagstaff made Calc II a ton of fun. Explained things really well and was funny as hell.

"A theorem without a proof is like a good movie without a f*ck scene."

Bison_Pyro
11-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Dr. Tom McDonald. Crazy SOB, but awesome.

BisManBison
11-08-2018, 05:36 AM
We had Fred Haring as a replacement for an ill teacher during fall semester of 2008 for Differential Equations. One of his stipulations for coming back to teach was that he wanted the final for the class to be 2-3 weeks before the final, because he wasn't going to be spending any time in December in North Dakota, he was going to Hawaii.

The first test he gave we did very poorly on, no one really complained though. A few showed up late during the class he was handing back the test, and as they came up to receive their tests he gave comments along the lines of "No need to cry about your score, everyone did poorly"

The rest of the semester went super smoothly in that class after the first test!

Did he still makes students write an essay? Don’t remember much about diff e q, maybe that didn’t lend itself to writing an essay?

gotts
11-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Did he still makes students write an essay? Don’t remember much about diff e q, maybe that didn’t lend itself to writing an essay?

No, he didn't. He took over about 3 weeks into the semester, started over with teaching the content from the beginning of the course, and ended 2-3 weeks early. Basically he packed an entire semester into about 10 weeks. I think if I had to go fully in depth to Diff Eq, I wouldn't have passed.

BadlandsBison
11-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Differential equations with Nikita Barbanov was THE way to go. He was really in to chess and allegedly was on the Soviet National basketball team. But it was hard to get him to tell stories because he would get really amped about lecturing and I've never seen anyone write on a chalk board as fast as he could. And open notes tests were a big help for me haha.

Bison 4 Life
11-08-2018, 03:21 PM
You guys make me happy I was a Communications major.

westnodak93bison
11-10-2018, 02:31 AM
Clark Merkel was a grad student/instructor for my ME 210 Numerical Methods/Modeling class. Very gifted at explaining complex things in a simple way. Made a painful workload class tolerable.

DBRJake
11-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Eric & Cheryl Devuyst in the AgEcon department (now at Oklahoma State). Both very good instructors. Eric has a twisted sense of humor. I remember taking a lab test where we had to show him our results on the computer. He would delete what was wrong and say keep working until you got it right and could leave. He looks thru my work and wordlessly deletes the entire document and walks away. I sit there for a second dumbfounded at how I could screw up that bad (actually everything was right) when I look up and he’s laughing at my reaction. The final exam in one of his classes was held at the Turf.

HerdBot
11-12-2018, 01:54 AM
Professor Frink borderline changed my life. Last I heard he was teaching in Springfield

NDSU1980
11-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Fred Taylor, better known as "AB" Taylor, he was the chairman of the Ag Econ Dept. He was known as "AB" because if you went to class you got an A, if you skipped class you got a B. The guy never gave out a lower grade than that.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Fred Taylor, better known as "AB" Taylor, he was the chairman of the Ag Econ Dept. He was known as "AB" because if you went to class you got an A, if you skipped class you got a B. The guy never gave out a lower grade than that.

I knew there was a reason Gully got all B's.

BlueBisonRock
11-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Not true. There was that guy who called him AB during class. Yes, he got a C.

ByeSonBusiness
11-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Patty Corwin - Soc 101. Wonderful lady!
Pete Simonson - Runs Simonson Lumber, teaches a class or two every semester I think.
Ruin Tian(sp?) - Teaches Finance. Love her.

oldmantutters
11-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Patty Corwin - Soc 101. Wonderful lady!
Pete Simonson - Runs Simonson Lumber, teaches a class or two every semester I think.
Ruin Tian(sp?) - Teaches Finance. Love her.If Tian is the woman I am thinking of, I am not a fan. I had to miss a test and wasn't able to study for because I was helping sandbag my parents house and she wouldn't excuse it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

tony
11-15-2018, 12:24 AM
I pretty much liked all my computer science professors but it's been so long that most of them have died or retired. Let's see, cancer got both Perrizo (who managed to teach me assembly language) and Paul Juell, my advisor. D. Bruce Erickson died way too young too. Others have retired like Mark Pavicik - cripes he looked like he was 12 when he started and was very smart. Bob Gammill - I took a graduate level graphics course from him and heard about these things like email and the internet before they were cool - I still remember him talking about the future of computer displays. John Martin (reminded me of Mr. Rogers - last time I saw him, we were on the same flight to London back in 1999.) Brian Slator is still teaching but then he was a young punk who started teaching the same year I finally graduated (he quoted from Cool Hand Luke his first class), Ken Magel was the chair of the department (I think) my first year. Vasant Ubhuya - actually, I'm not sure I ever took a class from me unless it was Discrete Mathematics for CS but most of my friends did. I gotta be missing some.

Outside of CS, Monsieur Homan tried to teach me French (hilariously) and Professor Andreini was great at Latin and classical studies.

People who teach at universities are generally curious about the world around them (although sometimes their focus is narrow) and that curiosity makes them interesting to be around.

GreenfieldBison
11-15-2018, 01:53 AM
I pretty much liked all my computer science professors but it's been so long that most of them have died or retired. Let's see, cancer got both Perrizo (who managed to teach me assembly language) and Paul Juell, my advisor. D. Bruce Erickson died way too young too. Others have retired like Mark Pavicik - cripes he looked like he was 12 when he started and was very smart. Bob Gammill - I took a graduate level graphics course from him and heard about these things like email and the internet before they were cool - I still remember him talking about the future of computer displays. John Martin (reminded me of Mr. Rogers - last time I saw him, we were on the same flight to London back in 1999.) Brian Slator is still teaching but then he was a young punk who started teaching the same year I finally graduated (he quoted from Cool Hand Luke his first class), Ken Magel was the chair of the department (I think) my first year. Vasant Ubhuya - actually, I'm not sure I ever took a class from me unless it was Discrete Mathematics for CS but most of my friends did. I gotta be missing some.

Outside of CS, Monsieur Homan tried to teach me French (hilariously) and Professor Andreini was great at Latin and classical studies.

People who teach at universities are generally curious about the world around them (although sometimes their focus is narrow) and that curiosity makes them interesting to be around.

Sounds like you were not far behind me in CS. John Martin was my advisor. An introvert to be sure. Bob Gammil was a gas and a dual appointment in CS and EEE at the time I was there. I also took that 528 Computer Graphics course. He was my fav and he had me slotted in to HP in Fort Collins. On the very day I passed my phone interview and accepted the invite to interview in person I came home to find that my wife (PhD in Clinical Psych) had just accepted a position in Minne. Tough phone call the next day to withdraw my application.

Tried real hard to get Vasant Ubhaya to attend an off campus party with a group of us and nearly succeeded. He is the one who taught me assembler for the IBM 360. It took half of that quarter for me to understand that he was not talking about the “bad” machine but rather the “bare” machine. He also taught the Discrete Mathematics course when I took it. Thankfully I was much more accustomed to Indian accents by then or whew! Would I have been lost. Sadly, still no luck luring him to one of those parties. I think he would have been great fun. Really wanted to see what dance moves he could bust out.

Don’t know about you but for me those were just great years. I was a bit older than average, living off campus and thus disconnected from typical student life, and working full time concurrently. I wouldn’t trade it for anything and while I did not love all of my professors I surely admired most all of them.

Another who deserves a shout out is Len Shapiro. He was C Sci chair during my tenure. Fabulous teacher and likely either he or Gammil would have been my choice for advisor had I chosen to pursue a doctorate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony
11-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Another who deserves a shout out is Len Shapiro. He was C Sci chair during my tenure. Fabulous teacher and likely either he or Gammil would have been my choice for advisor had I chosen to pursue a doctorate.

Man, I forgot about Shapiro. I liked him too. And, yeah, when I saw Martin and his family at MSP, I decided not to say hi just because he seemed like somebody who valued his privacy. They were great years (met the future wife, for one) - just wish I hadn't been working full time+ so I could have really buckled down. Then again, things worked out awesomely and almost every day since graduation has seemed like paid vacation, plus I get more than 5 hours of sleep a night and never go to bed hungry.

My parents, btw, were college friends of Val Tareski (RIP) who my engineering buddies made sound like some kind of boogie man (at least when they were freshmen.) He visited us in Mandan when I was a teenager and made us all chili. :)

mebisonII
11-15-2018, 06:25 PM
On a different note from all of my engineering and math professors, many of whom were great, I'll submit one from my extra curricular activities:

Playing in Dr. Patnode's jazz band was one of my favorite music experiences. We weren't the audition band, so its not like we were going to be standouts, but he made it fun and got us to sound ok at least.

GreenfieldBison
11-15-2018, 07:07 PM
My parents, btw, were college friends of Val Tareski (RIP) who my engineering buddies made sound like some kind of boogie man (at least when they were freshmen.) He visited us in Mandan when I was a teenager and made us all chili. :)

I started out as a EE before switching to CS and if that is who I think it is he was my EE advisor. Also taught the intro EE class (basically FORTRAN programming). I was older than average and he took license to badger me in class a little extra. We developed a nice back and forth though over the course of the quarter and I came to enjoy it.

Paul Juell was another CS faculty member who was quite impactful for me. I believe he too has passed some time ago.

ByeSonBusiness
11-15-2018, 11:53 PM
If Tian is the woman I am thinking of, I am not a fan. I had to miss a test and wasn't able to study for because I was helping sandbag my parents house and she wouldn't excuse it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Little Chinese woman?

Perhaps you softened her up for me. When I took Fixed Income Securities, I did next to none of the homework, and got A's/B's on the tests. After I crunched the numbers after the final, I plead my case to get my grade up to a C so I could graduate. She let me correct some project I dropped some points on. When I went to her office to show her my updated project, I was really nervous. She looked over my work and said, "It isss OhhKAY! You awww going to gwaduate! Yooou can stop shaking now!"

OrygunBison
11-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Agreed. The Arch history class was always interesting especially since he took most of the photos of the buildings he was showing us. My two favorite things from him were:

Cathedrals in Europe have a "Jesus Christ" affect. Not that they are overly religious, but when you walk in and look up you say, "Jesus Christ!"

The Fargodome was being built at time and he called it the Far-ga-da-me which rhymes with lobotomy which is what the architects who designed the thing must have had

My only complaint about his class is he would shut off the lights to show the slides and the next thing I would remember was him turning on the lights at the end of class.

Rik Ekstrom was the other architecture professor I liked because he actually understood the value of being involved in activities outside the program. None of the other professors did.

I enjoyed Patty Corwin. Her Soc 101 class was a blast! It appears she's still there. I also had a history class with Larry Peterson. He was funny and a little nuts.

Yeah Ron was great. I still use that "Jesus Christ Affect" line to this day.

Do you remember that Chicago trip during our 3rd year? If you recall, we all had stuff that was due late Wednesday and we were to meet in Moline, Illinois at the John Deere building at 9am on Thursday. I actually rode to and from Chicago with Ron and one other guy. We spent the night taking detours around northern and eastern Iowa to look at many lesser known Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan buildings in the middle of nowhere. I remember getting out of the car at around 3am to look at a FLW home in a small town. We were looking at some awesome intricate detailing whispering to each other when the lights went on in the house and we could hear some scurrying around. We quickly hightailed it away from there. I also remember getting a close look from a cop at around midnight in Waterloo because we were looking at a LS bank for a bit too long. Funny night. Had breakfast at some wonderful diner that he knew of in Rock Island waiting for the sun to come up.

I was super tired but Ron still had a ton of energy when we arrived at Saarinen's JD HQ.

OrygunBison
11-18-2018, 09:51 PM
I had Val Smith for freshman algebra. We called her JB for Jerry Burns, who was the Vikings coach at the time. She looked just like him.

Hammersmith
11-18-2018, 10:56 PM

I got to know Bruce and Joy Erickson somewhat. Bruce played euphonium in the NDSU band most of the years he was there, and I played alongside of him for one of those(and a row in front of him for a few others. Also took discrete math from him as I was deciding to switch from CS to music. And Joy was the business manager for the Department of Fine Arts.

Best music professors I had were Wayne Dorothy, Mark Watkins, Kyle Mack and Andy Froelich. Like everyone else who went through the program, I wish I had paid better attention in Froelich's theory 2 class. Dorothy was a fantastic rehearsal technician, but impolitic enough that it cost him tenure(was denied tenure, not removed from tenure). The department was lesser for the decision. Watkins left at the same time; unrelated to the Dorothy situation, but he was happier to be going after he learned of it.

IndyBison
11-19-2018, 03:03 AM
Yeah Ron was great. I still use that "Jesus Christ Affect" line to this day.

Do you remember that Chicago trip during our 3rd year? If you recall, we all had stuff that was due late Wednesday and we were to meet in Moline, Illinois at the John Deere building at 9am on Thursday. I actually rode to and from Chicago with Ron and one other guy. We spent the night taking detours around northern and eastern Iowa to look at many lesser known Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan buildings in the middle of nowhere. I remember getting out of the car at around 3am to look at a FLW home in a small town. We were looking at some awesome intricate detailing whispering to each other when the lights went on in the house and we could hear some scurrying around. We quickly hightailed it away from there. I also remember getting a close look from a cop at around midnight in Waterloo because we were looking at a LS bank for a bit too long. Funny night. Had breakfast at some wonderful diner that he knew of in Rock Island waiting for the sun to come up.

I was super tired but Ron still had a ton of energy when we arrived at Saarinen's JD HQ.Me too!

I don't remember why but I didn't do the Chicago trip. I must have had a personal conflict. I was the anti architecture student so I'm sure it helped to black ball me even more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
11-19-2018, 04:15 AM
Mrs Glatt. She had some JUGS. Back in the day. Lol

mebisonII
11-19-2018, 02:11 PM
I got to know Bruce and Joy Erickson somewhat. Bruce played euphonium in the NDSU band most of the years he was there, and I played alongside of him for one of those(and a row in front of him for a few others. Also took discrete math from him as I was deciding to switch from CS to music. And Joy was the business manager for the Department of Fine Arts.

Best music professors I had were Wayne Dorothy, Mark Watkins, Kyle Mack and Andy Froelich. Like everyone else who went through the program, I wish I had paid better attention in Froelich's theory 2 class. Dorothy was a fantastic rehearsal technician, but impolitic enough that it cost him tenure(was denied tenure, not removed from tenure). The department was lesser for the decision. Watkins left at the same time; unrelated to the Dorothy situation, but he was happier to be going after he learned of it.

I played in Dr. Mack's Jazz band briefly, too (I wasn't nearly good enough for it, but they were short on my instrument that year). He was great as well. "Play well tonight, folks, my future ex might be in the audience." (this was before he was married) Someone was messing around during rehearsal once, "You can do that when you are better than me." Just a fantastic musician as well.

RadioBison
03-16-2019, 08:32 PM

I am reminded about D. Bruce Erickson's discrete math class every time I think about my 3.98 GPA.

I had a class on computer architecture from Gammill that was half CS and half EE. He told lots of jokes that made one half of the class laugh, but not the other. I think they were mostly about why Linux was better than Windows.

On the EE side, my favorite was Floyd Patterson.

NovaBison
03-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Fred Haring... I was never all that great in math, but for some reason, after taking his classes things started to click, and math was never an issue after that. He saved my collegiate career!!!!

westnodak93bison
03-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Clark Merkle(not sure of spelling) who was a grad student in Mechanical Engineering.

Hammerhead
03-25-2019, 01:12 AM
I would pick Allan Ashworth (geosciences) as my favorite. He had a good sense of humor, interesting lectures and wasn't afraid of wearing a pink cap.

I'm the one almost crouching on one knee. It's hard to believe that's 29 years ago and the last time I went a week without bathing or shaving. We all smelled like campfire smoke and B.O. at the end of that trip since the only campground with any running water had ice cold water for showers. :)

https://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/bh_90_2.jpg

LikeMothers
03-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Gil Nelson, math "Row Reduced Echelon Form". The day before Thanksgiving, "I seem to have run out of chalk, so why don't you guys get the hell out of here"

westnodak93bison
03-27-2019, 02:17 AM
Gil Nelson, math "Row Reduced Echelon Form". The day before Thanksgiving, "I seem to have run out of chalk, so why don't you guys get the hell out of here"Gil Nelson was interesting. He would blow his nose in his hanky, put it in his pocket and later pull it out and clean his glasses.

scbison91
02-02-2020, 03:54 PM
Mrs Glatt. She had some JUGS. Back in the day. Lol I had her for Intermediate accounting... Good teacher and yea about what you said.

El_Chapo
02-03-2020, 03:58 AM
NDSU will lose a legend at the end of this year...taking the early buyout. sad NDSU cant keep good professors.

westnodak93bison
02-03-2020, 12:37 PM
NDSU will lose a legend at the end of this year...taking the early buyout. sad NDSU cant keep good professors.Good God. Like there is no way a new young replacement can't do the job?

El_Chapo
02-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Good God. Like there is no way a new young replacement can't do the job?

unfortunately in academia, seniority helps for getting on various boards does help NDSU.

GCWaters
02-03-2020, 02:45 PM
unfortunately in academia, seniority helps for getting on various boards does help NDSU.

So who's leaving?

El_Chapo
02-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Dr Neil Gudmestad was done today and the 1 I'm talking about soon

KSBisonFan
02-03-2020, 10:47 PM
Dr Neil Gudmestad was done today and the 1 I'm talking about soon

Let me guess, he moved up to FBS?

El_Chapo
02-03-2020, 10:54 PM
early retirement buyout. sounds like there will be quite a few taking it

GCWaters
02-03-2020, 11:04 PM
early retirement buyout. sounds like there will be quite a few taking it

Yeah, sounds like a number of people who didn’t take it the last few years have applied this year. I’m afraid you’re right, and we’re going to lose a lot of talented folks...

roadwarrior
02-03-2020, 11:33 PM
Dr Neil Gudmestad was done today

Dr Gudmestad has wanted to retire for years. He continued to work at NDSU until they were able to find a qualified replacement.

CAS4127
02-03-2020, 11:56 PM
Dr Gudmestad has wanted to retire for years. He continued to work at NDSU until they were able to find a qualified replacement.

Exactly. It wasn’t early retirement. He will be very difficult to replace. Basically world-renowned for his expertize of potatoes and an otherwise outstanding agricultural ambassador for NDSU. He and I have crossed paths in litigation ( that’s all is say on that) and he was nothing other than professional and legit. I’m guessing he’ll be around for consultation in both private and public sector if requested. Incredibly decent and solid man.

TAILG8R
02-04-2020, 01:15 AM
Hopefully some of them will be from the Comp Sci dept as NDSU hasn't been able to turn out quality grads in that area for YEARS. Absolutely need some fresh blood in there that understands how to set students up for success in today's market not 1990's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
02-04-2020, 01:39 AM
well my person is bigger than him. my point is there is alot of professors running away from NDSU and the state of ND way of legislating academia.. (crab mentality bringing down ndsu)

Mr Pep Band
02-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Clark Merkle(not sure of spelling) who was a grad student in Mechanical Engineering.

Merkel, he was my uncle. Lost him a few years ago to cancer.

My dad always said Clark was a favorite among his students (during the 80's sometime IIRC). But since he went to school at NDSU, they wouldn't hire him on after grad school as a full professor.

Had to bring in "fresh blood" for "research". :sigpalm:

GreenfieldBison
02-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Hopefully some of them will be from the Comp Sci dept as NDSU hasn't been able to turn out quality grads in that area for YEARS. Absolutely need some fresh blood in there that understands how to set students up for success in today's market not 1990's.

What do you think they need to do differently?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
02-04-2020, 06:42 PM
What do you think they need to do differently?

I feel they are stuck on continuing to do two things 1) Focus WAY too much on theory 2) Focus WAY too much on outdated technologies/methodologies/languages as well as way too much focus on the Microsoft ecosystem(which makes some sense but the Microsoft campus in Fargo is by far the end all be all of tech in this community).

In my role as VP of Engineering(Software) I have hired almost 50 people in the last 4-5 years alone and I can say without a doubt when it comes to candidates with less than a few years of experience those that graduated from NDSU are no where near the skill level or essentially understanding of rapid growth software engineering compared to other universities. MSUM is actually the preferred degree on resumes these days.

As a company we have talked to NDSU about this for years, as individuals my peers have talked to NDSU about these challenges, no change.

GreenfieldBison
02-04-2020, 09:36 PM
I feel they are stuck on continuing to do two things 1) Focus WAY too much on theory 2) Focus WAY too much on outdated technologies/methodologies/languages as well as way too much focus on the Microsoft ecosystem(which makes some sense but the Microsoft campus in Fargo is by far the end all be all of tech in this community).

In my role as VP of Engineering(Software) I have hired almost 50 people in the last 4-5 years alone and I can say without a doubt when it comes to candidates with less than a few years of experience those that graduated from NDSU are no where near the skill level or essentially understanding of rapid growth software engineering compared to other universities. MSUM is actually the preferred degree on resumes these days.

As a company we have talked to NDSU about this for years, as individuals my peers have talked to NDSU about these challenges, no change.

Hmmm. You likely wouldn’t care for MIT graduates either then. They have much more theory and much less hands on work than NDSU grads in my personal experience. They can think damn quick though. They can learn quick too.

Looking through postings these days it looks to me like business wants mostly technicians who have a command of a certain technology and can come in to be productive with that certain technology on day one. I can well imagine that is not what NDSU is trying to produce and so they are likely out of step with business needs. I wonder what the market is for their CS product.

westnodak93bison
02-05-2020, 02:55 AM
Merkel, he was my uncle. Lost him a few years ago to cancer.

My dad always said Clark was a favorite among his students (during the 80's sometime IIRC). But since he went to school at NDSU, they wouldn't hire him on after grad school as a full professor.

Had to bring in "fresh blood" for "research". :sigpalm:Sorry to hear that. RIP Clark!

99Bison
02-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Hmmm. You likely wouldn’t care for MIT graduates either then. They have much more theory and much less hands on work than NDSU grads in my personal experience. They can think damn quick though. They can learn quick too.

Looking through postings these days it looks to me like business wants mostly technicians who have a command of a certain technology and can come in to be productive with that certain technology on day one. I can well imagine that is not what NDSU is trying to produce and so they are likely out of step with business needs. I wonder what the market is for their CS product.

Tend to agree, I certainly don’t have context of the initial pain point brought up but it sounds like the typical college vs business wants situation that’s pretty pervasive. Hence 2 year/tech schools offer things like computer programming in specific tech or maybe the “Software Engineering” degree should be focused more on the most current things businesses want/etc but that is not really what “science” degrees/studies are. Then again, maybe we misunderstood the initial point. :)

GreenfieldBison
02-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Tend to agree, I certainly don’t have context of the initial pain point brought up but it sounds like the typical college vs business wants situation that’s pretty pervasive. Hence 2 year/tech schools offer things like computer programming in specific tech or maybe the “Software Engineering” degree should be focused more on the most current things businesses want/etc but that is not really what “science” degrees/studies are. Then again, maybe we misunderstood the initial point. :)

Yes the 2 yr tech school degree is exactly what business wants these days. Perhaps that is really the need as well. Back when I came out of the CS dept in the 80's in the business world we were wielding crude tools like C and C++ and we had to fashion our own low level library routines and in some cases even I/O functions etc. We were still constrained by slow processors and limited memory and so there was a fair bit of art woven into the science in order to craft solutions to problems. With those crude tools you were as likely to sever a limb as produce a useful system solution if you weren't well trained.

Fast forward to today where the tools have matured, support libraries are plentiful and rich, and computing power is almost limitless and seemingly infinitely scalable. There's not a lot of "Software Engineering" going on out there. More like Software Production or Software Manufacturing. Business moves a bit faster as does society. The relationship between business and labor has also changed. Gone are the days of long term marriages between the two parties. Business has a problem and needs a solution. Tomorrow. There is not time nor the budget to train existing staff or certainly any newcomers. They need a plug and play cog for the wheel. That cog needs to produce results. Tomorrow. Not in June. Since most IT departments are being run by people with business backgrounds they are unaware of and/or unconvinced that theoretically trained CS majors can adapt to and master new technologies and languages etc. in pretty short order. Their reward systems do not allow for the risk.

I read an article recently asserting that we may be close to hitting the stops on Moore's Law. If true then as the article states the need to return to the days of crafting solutions to fit within computing resource constraints may soon overtake the need to fit budget and time constraints. We'll see. I would assume some technological discovery looms just over the horizon but who knows.

TAILG8R
02-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Yes the 2 yr tech school degree is exactly what business wants these days. Perhaps that is really the need as well. Back when I came out of the CS dept in the 80's in the business world we were wielding crude tools like C and C++ and we had to fashion our own low level library routines and in some cases even I/O functions etc. We were still constrained by slow processors and limited memory and so there was a fair bit of art woven into the science in order to craft solutions to problems. With those crude tools you were as likely to sever a limb as produce a useful system solution if you weren't well trained.

Fast forward to today where the tools have matured, support libraries are plentiful and rich, and computing power is almost limitless and seemingly infinitely scalable. There's not a lot of "Software Engineering" going on out there. More like Software Production or Software Manufacturing. Business moves a bit faster as does society. The relationship between business and labor has also changed. Gone are the days of long term marriages between the two parties. Business has a problem and needs a solution. Tomorrow. There is not time nor the budget to train existing staff or certainly any newcomers. They need a plug and play cog for the wheel. That cog needs to produce results. Tomorrow. Not in June. Since most IT departments are being run by people with business backgrounds they are unaware of and/or unconvinced that theoretically trained CS majors can adapt to and master new technologies and languages etc. in pretty short order. Their reward systems do not allow for the risk.

I read an article recently asserting that we may be close to hitting the stops on Moore's Law. If true then as the article states the need to return to the days of crafting solutions to fit within computing resource constraints may soon overtake the need to fit budget and time constraints. We'll see. I would assume some technological discovery looms just over the horizon but who knows.

Solid points and I mostly agree with businesses needing immediate results, I've dealt with that mentality all too often in the past. I'm thankful to be in a place now that views training and growing their employees as a core value and something to be proud of.

GreenfieldBison
02-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Solid points and I mostly agree with businesses needing immediate results, I've dealt with that mentality all too often in the past. I'm thankful to be in a place now that views training and growing their employees as a core value and something to be proud of.

I would say you are in a very good place then. Congrats.

IndyBison
02-06-2020, 02:05 AM
Solid points and I mostly agree with businesses needing immediate results, I've dealt with that mentality all too often in the past. I'm thankful to be in a place now that views training and growing their employees as a core value and something to be proud of.Having worked in IT leadership for several years I generally disagree. There are 3 elements to developing software: fast, quality, cheap. You can have 2 of those but never all 3.

The main difference between someone with a 2 year tech degree and a 4 year degree is someone who is a good technical person and a technical person who can think and solve problems. You need both to be successful.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
02-06-2020, 02:11 AM
Good fast cheap, pick two. Those that can think for themselves and are truly problem solvers who can think at scale and with the future of the software in mind are the ones that eventually rise up as Sr engineers.

Although the idea of having a team of 40 Sr engineers sounds nice in reality you need "everyday workers". Not everyone can be the king.

GreenfieldBison
02-06-2020, 02:19 AM
Good fast cheap, pick two. Those that can think for themselves and are truly problem solvers who can think at scale and with the future of the software in mind are the ones that eventually rise up as Sr engineers.

Although the idea of having a team of 40 Sr engineers sounds nice in reality you need "everyday workers". Not everyone can be the king.

I wish you were right in your first paragraph but I disagree. Those who rise up as Sr. Engineers are those who are the most politically efficacious. It is always so in every vector. Unless machines are in control.

TAILG8R
02-06-2020, 02:29 AM
I wish you were right in your first paragraph but I disagree. Those who rise up as Sr. Engineers are those who are the most politically efficacious. It is always so in every vector. Unless machines are in control.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkSure I've definitely seen that. I guess my use of Sr was less title and more skill.

tony
02-06-2020, 12:36 PM

I'm glad that I didn't get a 2-year degree to learn a certain technical skill in order to serve the short-term interests of an employer at the expense of my own long-term interests. Plus, I went to a university to get a liberal education as well as a marketable skill.

Maybe companies that claim that nobody stays at a job very long any more are creating cultures that make that prediction into a self-fulfilling prophesy. Often, their attitudes come across as thinly-veiled contempt for their employees. I mean, you talked about hiring 50 programmers... what's your turnover like? Is your code base as disposable as your coders seem to be? :)

We should be hiring a programmer right now where I work. All I know is that they better be able to demonstrate some serious problem-solving skills because technologies change and being familiar with our development system is only going to get them 5% of the way. They can be two-year, self-taught, or university trained, but they've got to be able to add to and maintain a huge, complicated code base (and, at some point, help completely rewrite it in a different platform that hasn't been invented yet.) We'd expect that the person could pick up any new language in short order - just like our current programmers have done.

GreenfieldBison
02-06-2020, 01:19 PM
I'm glad that I didn't get a 2-year degree to learn a certain technical skill in order to serve the short-term interests of an employer at the expense of my own long-term interests. Plus, I went to a university to get a liberal education as well as a marketable skill.

Maybe companies that claim that nobody stays at a job very long any more are creating cultures that make that prediction into a self-fulfilling prophesy. Often, their attitudes come across as thinly-veiled contempt for their employees. I mean, you talked about hiring 50 programmers... what's your turnover like? Is your code base as disposable as your coders seem to be? :)

We should be hiring a programmer right now where I work. All I know is that they better be able to demonstrate some serious problem-solving skills because technologies change and being familiar with our development system is only going to get them 5% of the way. They can be two-year, self-taught, or university trained, but they've got to be able to add to and maintain a huge, complicated code base (and, at some point, help completely rewrite it in a different platform that hasn't been invented yet.) We'd expect that the person could pick up any new language in short order - just like our current programmers have done.

Not sure if you meant to reply to me or to Tailg8r but for the record I stepped off the treadmill nearly two years ago now. I’m not hiring anybody. I deleted my LinkedIn account. That was a freeing event!

In any case in a subsequent post Tailg8r briefly described an organization that in the face of it seems to value its human capital. So perhaps those 50 acquisitions are still there?

He was also expressing lament regarding the NDSU CS product and its sub-optimal fit for current business requirements. Makes me wonder how many of their undergrads are being placed and into what environments.

tony
02-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Not sure if you meant to reply to me or to Tailg8r but for the record I stepped off the treadmill nearly two years ago now. I’m not hiring anybody. I deleted my LinkedIn account. That was a freeing event!

In any case in a subsequent post Tailg8r briefly described an organization that in the face of it seems to value its human capital. So perhaps those 50 acquisitions are still there?

He was also expressing lament regarding the NDSU CS product and its sub-optimal fit for current business requirements. Makes me wonder how many of their undergrads are being placed and into what environments.

Ha! Well, I wasn't paying much attention so, yes, it must have been tailg8r I was responding to. Mostly, I was responding to the thread in general and trying to put my thoughts in order because, man, we really need to hire another programmer. :)

LikeMothers
02-06-2020, 05:25 PM

I can't think of a single senior engineer out of a couple hundred I've worked with where political skills were close to the top of the list of reasons they were in that position.

GreenfieldBison
02-06-2020, 06:03 PM
I can't think of a single senior engineer out of a couple hundred I've worked with where political skills were close to the top of the list of reasons they were in that position.

Really? Would you say that any or all of those senior engineers are/were good at managing others expectations? At managing up? At communicating to business leaders and/or external partners? All of these things are what I would classify as political skills. They certainly are not technical skills.

Bison bison
02-06-2020, 06:27 PM

Good, slow, with me. Pick two.

BadlandsBison
02-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Good, slow, with me. Pick two.

Which two would your wife pick?

ByeSonBusiness
02-07-2020, 04:03 AM
So...what I've gotten out of this is that NDSU is trying to teach the theory behind this stuff so that these grads can continue to be valuable after changes in the industry wipe out technical stuff like languages?

Also good, fast, cheap.

I used to think I had a big dick putting a CD into the computer and hitting install. :)

tony
02-07-2020, 02:08 PM
I fear that I've been posting about stuff that I don't understand again because our development team is so much different than places with lots of developers. So sorry about that.

One thing is certain: I didn't go into computer science with the dream of managing other programmers - that sounds like more of a nightmare.

Vet70
02-07-2020, 02:14 PM
I fear that I've been posting about stuff that I don't understand again because our development team is so much different than places with lots of developers. So sorry about that.

One thing is certain: I didn't go into computer science with the dream of managing other programmers - that sounds like more of a nightmare.

Ha! Try going into the academe and chairing a department. It's harder than herding cats.

GCWaters
02-07-2020, 02:43 PM
Ha! Try going into the academe and chairing a department. It's harder than herding cats.

And the cats are on fire...

GreenfieldBison
02-07-2020, 02:53 PM

I don’t know, I did it for a decade. It’s a different puzzle for sure. People can be hard. I like dogs better. Nobody frowns at you if you have to hit that button on the shock collar.

El_Chapo
03-10-2020, 05:17 AM
from a NDSU employee of 20 years

For what? NDSU is stagnant and going no where. I know thirteen faculty who are leaving to schools like Cornell, Oregon State, Michigan, Ohio U, and Montana State this year

Bison bison
03-10-2020, 12:29 PM
The University is under extreme duress because of the enrollment shock.

It's not good and people are leaving, like people do when an organization is faultering.

The collapse of oil will only make this worse.

Hammersmith
03-11-2020, 03:05 AM
The University is under extreme duress because of the enrollment shock.

It's not good and people are leaving, like people do when an organization is faultering.

The collapse of oil will only make this worse.

There was an article a few days back that said applications were up 1,800 from the same time last year. Hopefully that's a good sign, though school officials were quick to point out that there could easily be other reasons for the increase like students applying earlier due to it now being easier to accomplish on smart phones.

westnodak93bison
03-11-2020, 03:25 AM
Maybe the universities should listen to Gov. B and find ways to provide a better product for students?

GCWaters
05-08-2020, 03:49 AM
Brian Slator, computer science, has died...obit is incomplete right now...

https://www.wrightfuneral.com/obituary/brian-m-slator/

El_Chapo
05-12-2020, 12:30 AM
Good friend and person Im talking about up above will be retiring after finals. NDSU wont be the same god dammit. :(