PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Lake denies Sioux nickname

markerman
08-31-2005, 08:51 PM
From the FRONT PAGE of Yahoo!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_sp_co_ne/north_dakota_nickname

Bad, bad press for UND. I can't see how they'll win an appeal with decisions like this coming out.

JBB
09-01-2005, 12:15 AM
On their appeal to restore the nickname:

“We had no choice but to respond to this group that says we’re ‘hostile or abusive,’ ” Kupchella said. “We decided we had to go after them – and that’s what we did.”

Surprising words since this is what the tribe had to say:

"(The tribe) finds that the use of the Fighting Sioux and Sioux names by the University of North Dakota is both dishonorable and an affront to the dignity and well being of the members of Spirit Lake,"

Uni_of_No_Diks
09-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Im voting for the UND Unicorns.

Because both are a mythical creature that won't be seen in Division 1 sports anytime soon.

its OVER>... the INDIANS. win.. especially in this P.C world we live in... (even though I dont like that>>(

ba bye UND!!

DIBISON
09-01-2005, 03:45 AM
I couldn't believe the strong words that the tribal leaders used in opposition to the nickname and logo that was reported in the news.

bisongold
09-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Maybe the current Sioux logo will go the way of Sammy the Sioux logo of years ago. Oh well, think of the boost in apparel sales when everyone has to buy new gear. Perhaps they will be able to move up to D-1 then!

Tatanka
09-03-2005, 01:17 AM
The Central Michigan Chippewa and Utah Utes were just given approval to continue using their nicknames by the NCAA.

From the Central Michigan (http://www.news.cmich.edu/news/index.asp?id=779)website:

NCAA REMOVES CMU FROM LIST

MOUNT PLEASANT — Central Michigan University has been removed from the list of institutions that were cited by the NCAA as “hostile and abusive” in using the Chippewa nickname.

“Therefore, inasmuch, as Central Michigan’s use of the Chippewa name and associated imagery has received the approval of the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan, the university will not be subject to the terms of the policy,” wrote the NCAA in a letter.

“The university is pleased by the NCAA’s decision to remove CMU from the list of universities deemed to be hostile and abusive in the use of the Chippewa nickname,” said CMU President Michael Rao. “CMU cherishes its ongoing relationship with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe. The university appreciates the NCAA’s timely response to its appeal and the university is pleased to put this chapter behind it.”

CMU proudly continues to use the Chippewa nickname with respect and dignity.

CMU adopted the “Chippewa” nickname in 1942 to celebrate the rich Native American heritage of the mid-Michigan region. CMU does not support any derogatory and stereotypical use of the name, and the institution prohibits the use of American Indian images, symbols or mascots.

CMU is honored to be associated with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe; however, with that association comes a great responsibility to support an educational environment that is sensitive to American Indian issues. This has fostered collaborative educational efforts, invitations to host cultural events and speakers, and the provision of extensive American Indian educational resources to the campus community.

In other news, it was interesting to see Dr Kupchella and his henchmen pooh-poohing the resolution and the governing body that issued it, because tribal leadership councils change over time. Hmm. More class from downriver.

sambini
09-03-2005, 02:38 AM
I think they will have to change some way or another?

Bisonguy
09-03-2005, 02:47 AM
The Central Michigan Chippewa and Utah Utes were just given approval to continue using their nicknames by the NCAA.

From the Central Michigan (http://www.news.cmich.edu/news/index.asp?id=779)website:

In other news, it was interesting to see Dr Kupchella and his henchmen pooh-poohing the resolution and the governing body that issued it, because tribal leadership councils change over time. *Hmm. *More class from downriver.

I just want a quick decison made on UND. I'm sick of hearing Kupchella in the media saying "N-C-Two-A". ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Kuppy, it's "double-a" if you want to abbreviate it.