PDA

View Full Version : Roger Thomas Quote

markerman
09-01-2005, 01:27 PM
In case you didn't catch it, here's a quote from good ole' Roger Thomas in the Forum today, regarding a move to Divison I:

“You’re trying to play at a different level – I wouldn’t say higher, just a different level of competition – and we’re in a sparsely populated area, and to find the number of players you need to do that, you’d have to expand the recruiting area,” said Thomas, now commissioner of the Division II North Central Conference, of which UND is a member.

Yep, Roger, I'm sure that Montana State and Southern Illinois are not at a higher level than West Chester and Ferris State. Don't you just hate this guy?

JBB
09-01-2005, 03:38 PM
He is a characture of himself now-a-days. 8)

mikelsch
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
What an ignorant jacka$$

Gamehunter
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Why would the forum even interview him on an issue pretaining to NDSU athletics? He has nothing to do with Division I, I-AA football, or NDSU athletics at all.

BisonInTexas
09-01-2005, 06:29 PM
If Division I isn't a higher level, why on earth would anyone need to expand their recruiting area? Why not just operate with fewer scholarships and pretend it doesn't matter that the other team has more scholarships?

What happened to the "It's not a level playing field" excuse for why UND couldn't play NDSU anymore in the major sports? I guess he meant a "different level" and not a "higher level" ::).

I love the double speak. He and Kupchella have set UND back years.

Craig

Paulie
09-01-2005, 11:08 PM
He does lose all credibility with a statement like that. *Of course it's a higher level, that shouldn't even be a debate.

I think another poster said it best on another thread. *That he is making these statements so that they will be read by the other NCC schools. *It's propaganda to hopefully keep them in line. *He trying to save his job and his ass at this point. *

Not unlike the Iraqi Information Minister... the Americans are not in Bagdad as the tanks roll past behind him... *

http://www.dynart.com/jorge/imagens/iraqi_information_minister.jpg *

84grad
09-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the "Bagdad Bob" photo, Paulie! I had forgotten about him. Maybe he could be the new mascot for UND???

02Bison
09-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Who cares what Roger has to say....let him make himself look like an @$$ with his loose mouth. Forget about him....he's part of the past and as far as I'm concerned that's where he should stay forever. We don't need to talk about or even acknowledge his existence here. That is the best way to "get" Roger!

Tracker
09-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Roger Thomas and his family have been going through a lot lately. Maybe you Bison fans could take your "foot out of your mouth" and back off their family for a while.

Bisonguy
09-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Roger Thomas and his family have been going through a lot lately. *Maybe you Bison fans *could take your "foot out of your mouth" and back off their family for a while.

Where was anything about his family brought up here?

He's a public figure making statements to the media. Those statements are open to criticism.

Tatanka
09-03-2005, 01:23 AM
If Division I isn't a higher level, why on earth would anyone need to expand their recruiting area? *Why not just operate with fewer scholarships and pretend it doesn't matter that the other team has more scholarships?

What happened to the "It's not a level playing field" excuse for why UND couldn't play NDSU anymore in the major sports? *I guess he meant a "different level" and not a "higher level" ::).

I love the double speak. *He and Kupchella have set UND back years.
Craig

++

TMWTFN can't keep his disdain for NDSU from spilling over into his new job, either. Too bad his opinion isn't any longer relevant.

And, in the words of Yoda, there is no try (we're "trying" to play at a different level?), there is only do (NDSU) or do not (und*#)

sambini
09-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Roger needs to take care of his league and dont' worry about us or the rabbits. Sorry to hear about his family having problems. But it is time to move on.

kchats
09-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Roger Thomas and his family have been going through a lot lately. *Maybe you Bison fans *could take your "foot out of your mouth" and back off their family for a while.

If Roger would say I'm sorry NDSU and SDSU are division I institutions and I am commissioner of a division II league therefore no comment, we wouldn't have to call him an idiot for saying division I-AA football isn't a higher level than division II. I wonder if college football is a higher level of football than high school football in his world. ;)

Bisonguy
09-03-2005, 03:22 AM
*I wonder if college football is a higher level of football than high school football in his world. ;)

I wouldn’t say higher, just a different level of competition ;) ;D

kchats
09-03-2005, 03:29 AM
Maybe if he was still AD at UND they could schedule Grand Forks Red River since they are really not a higher level of competition, just a different level. Can you imagine how easy it would be for Roger if recruiting was like high school? You just get the guys that show up at your school and come out for football, what a dream world. At least it is on par with college football, since it can't be a higher level.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
It seems to me that the Forum is drumming up stories involving NDSU and UND at a pretty high rate recently. Stories about NDSU that have nothing to do with UND and they call Roger and ask him to comment. Not sure what their intentions are, but there must be some reason for their actions. It seems like they've always been the first in the area to start contreversy, wether it be pro-NDSU or negative too.

Do Bison fans seem to like the Forum?

kchats
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
I think the Forum is still mostly anti-division I. I think they would have been more for the move if UND moved with us but they really seem to be against it. They write stories that take subtle jabs at NDSU and their move and everything associated with it.

Tatanka
09-04-2005, 04:12 AM
The Forum is best used for fish wrap, garage floor protectant, gift box stuffing, and birdcage liner as far as Tatanka's concerned. However, until the West Fargo Pioneer decides to cover the Bison, it's the best source of local news.

Yes, I think some of their writers are still trying to pry open the wound from a couple years ago. I wish they wouldn't, but it's their rag, they can do as they wish.

Tatanka
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
http://www.dynart.com/jorge/imagens/iraqi_information_minister.jpg *
http://www.space.edu/spacegrant/CRW_1717.jpg

Separated at birth?

sambini
09-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Tatanka very good I think you have something .