PDA

View Full Version : Live game video feed

roadwarrior
09-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I was reading through the Bison game program from last week's game, and on page 7 there is an advertisement for gobison.com. Right there in bold print at the bottom of the page it says, "Coming Soon... LIVE GAME VIDEO!!!".

I also wasnt aware that live stats are available during the games.

I would think that the live video might only be for home games, as the Fargodome cameras are continually covering the action for the video boards in the dome.

Bisonguy
09-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Very cool. I even think the live stats are very cool. 8) 8) 8) 8)

From emails to the Bisonzone, they supposedly are working on video for the future. Maybe the games will be archived for the $50??

kchats
09-06-2005, 12:01 AM
That is why I think they are charging for Bison Zone. I think it is allowing them to get some money to pay for the necessary equipment to broadcast via webcast. I have no problem paying a small fee for better service that's what everyone does with cable TV. Remember when cable TV used to be commercial free because you paid to have it? I can't wait for the webcast. I would prefer to have the video broadcast with the sound from the radio since Scott Miller and company do such a great job.

kchats
09-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I can't find an advertisement for the Live Feed yet.

RxBison
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
I can't find an advertisement for the Live Feed yet.

roadwarrior said the advertisement was in the game program for GOBISON.COM and not for Bison Zone. They are two different owners.

I don't think WDAY will ever do video Webcasts because they already don't televise the games, but NDSU and the Fargodome are already doing TV in the stadium.

kchats
09-06-2005, 12:25 AM
I think eventually they will have to, if they maintain the rights.

Bisonguy
09-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Here's the exact portion of the quote from an email I received from Bisonzone( not that it really says much):

Thank you for the feedback.
Right now we are looking into the possibility of getting the games on video.

Doesn't WDAY have their own camera crew at the Fargodome that they use for sports? I know I saw one of the KVLY broadcast vans outside the Fargodome with the dish way up in the air on thursday. I've also seen the WDAY sports crew with cameras at the games, so they should be nearly all set up to broadcast (sans a T1 for upload, but that's easy enough to do at the Fargodome and has been done before).

kchats
09-06-2005, 03:26 AM
If the contract is up anytime soon you know one of the other networks will enter negotations stating they will do it. They will also probably guarantee televised games for most teams throughout the year.

SDbison
09-06-2005, 03:34 AM
If Bizonzone is playing the live video it will probably be only $500 a season for those of you desperate enough to pay that much. ::)

kchats
09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Sounds like you need to voice your opinion to both Gene Taylor and the Fargo Forum/WDAY. Nobody on here can help you. I'm sure it won't get that expensive (supply and demand).

gwendel
09-06-2005, 09:43 AM
That is why I think they are charging for Bison Zone. I think it is allowing them to get some money to pay for the necessary equipment to broadcast via webcast.

The cost for internet video streaming is not that great. They already have the equipment--basically a few video cameras, a video switcher, a laptop computer and a T1 or better connection to the internet. The pipeline is exactly the same for video as audio. If they can do audio, they can do video.

It's the bandwidth that's the killer. It might only cost $100 to do an audio feed.
And they could do a video feed for that price too--for 4-5 users. A video feed at the demand that NDSU would see could easily run a thousand or two. But with four or five hundred users, the cost/user shouldn't exceed $2-$5. Most college links I've visited with video feeds either charge $2-$3/game or an annual subscription of $20 or so.