PDA

View Full Version : Redhawks deserve better fan support

Tatanka
09-08-2005, 03:21 AM
Just got back from a FM Redhawks playoff game (they won 9-2 and are up 2-0 on Lincoln in the best of 5). My daughter and I had a blast, as usual, but I was absolutely mortified at the lack of attendance at the game.

<soapbox>

Consider:
All seats in the house were $5. That's $22.50 less than a "rivalry" match at the tin shed.
The Redhawks won both halves of the season, going 40-7 in the second half (not a typo) and had an overall record of 68-27 (41 games over .500 in a 95 game schedule)
The Redhawks play on campus, less than a block away from thousands of students.
A hot dog, chips, and a soda are $2 (for the combo). Freaking $2. Not enough food to feed you? Buy two. (That's $4 for you und*# graduates.)

I know this is an NDSU board, and I know that many here are not interested in baseball whatsoever, but for the love of Pete, this team deserves some gol-dang fan support when they play in the finals next Tuesday and Wednesday!

Obviously, it's difficult on a school night for people from far out of town to make it to the game, but how many people live within walking distance of the stadium? How many within a five-minute drive? For this team to play playoff games (such as tonight) in front of a half-empty stadium is an absolute crime.

</soapbox>

Bison_Dan
09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I lost a little respect for the Red Hawks management when they didn't switch their game to a afternoon start Sept 1. They've had a great year and I hope they win it all.

JBB
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
they need to advertise. Those games used to be sold out with no hope of getting tickets. I think a lot of people are conditioned to thinking its impossible to get tickets. I have called over for tickets several times and non were available.

Bisonguy
09-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I thought earlier it was reported that the Redhawks were having a record-setting year for attnedance. ???

Every game I've been to or saw highlights on TV looked like a packed stadium.

roadwarrior
09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
The Redhawks always do better on weekend games. A midweek game especially after school starts is not going to pack the stadium. I dont think they are even close to a record year, but still draw crowds really well.

TheBisonator
09-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I heard about those cheap tickets. Someone told me that they were reducing the ticket price for the playoffs in order to attract as many fans for playoff games as possible. Maybe it hasn't worked.

roadwarrior
09-08-2005, 08:27 PM
The Forum reported over 3200 attended the game last night. I dont think thats bad at all.

sambini
09-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I heard they averaged 3800 this year. Tough to go during the week when school is on.