PDA

View Full Version : University of North Dakota Bison

Gully
09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Here's an idea that I think makes sense but I realize will never happen.

First, eliminate half of the small state schools in ND. Second, combine NDSU and UND, with the name and mascot being the University of North Dakota Bison. Play football in Fargo, hockey in Grand Forks and who cares about everything else (just split it up).

This would save the state significant bucks and also do away with the Sioux controversy.

State and private resources could be pooled behing one very large institution (yes, we would still need both campuses but administration and overhead costs could be cut significantly).

I know this will never happen but I think it's actually a good idea. I hope it at least generates some discussion.

dakotadan
09-22-2005, 11:16 PM
It would be interesting if ND had just one large 25,000 student university. However, I think having both UND and NDSU has it's own advantages.

I have however wondered many times why we are still putting millions of dollars into Valley City State and Mayville State. Do either of these schools offer any programs that are not offered at UND, NDSU, MSU, DSU, or even UMary or Jamestown College? Mayville State was obviously opened as the state's original Normal School. But what roll does VCSU play?

I just don't see why with our population, we need 6 public and 2 private 4-year universities.

Bisonguy
09-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Keeping NDSU and UND separate makes more sense. Both are flagship universities of the state, and help each other to become better (at least in the sense of one-upmanship, if nothing else).

If anything, make all the smaller universities satellite campuses of NDSU or UND. The state barely funds either school when compared to other states, I don't see what the need for saving the state more money would be.

Big_BisonFan
09-22-2005, 11:47 PM
The subject line makes me want to throw up. UND and NDSU are never going to merge. Also, to say the other sports don't matter is a farse. Just a for instance: Roebuck and Ruley a two headed coaching monster??? I hate to be so negative, but man something about your idea makes me sick.

Some of the smaller public schools might be closed, I will give you that point.

swaghook
09-23-2005, 12:13 AM
I believe the smaller schools are written into the state Constitution, to close the smaller colleges would take a constitutional amendment. I know MSU-Bottineau is one of those protected in that way.

GCWaters
09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
I believe the smaller schools are written into the state Constitution, to close the smaller colleges would take a constitutional amendment. I know MSU-Bottineau is one of those protected in that way.

Exactly...All (or all but one) of the publics are in the constitution...it takes an amendment to do anything. A few years ago, there was an amendment floated to let the state redefine the missions of the state schools--no threat to close, just redefine. It went down by a 3:1 vote....

TheBisonator
09-23-2005, 03:03 AM
It would be interesting if ND had just one large 25,000 student university.

If North Dakota had one major 25,000-student public university (and maybe another 7-8,000-student regional university), then the 25,000-student one could've been a I-A football team at this point, like Wyoming. Who knows, maybe it could've been in the Big XII by now. Then the other smaller regional university would be a DII school.

JBB
09-23-2005, 04:03 AM
Bisonguy touched on it. *we need those smaller schools we just might want to manage them differently. *More of a team effort with the main campuses in Fargo, Bismarck and of course gf.

dakotadan
09-23-2005, 06:22 AM
I believe the smaller schools are written into the state Constitution, to close the smaller colleges would take a constitutional amendment. *I know MSU-Bottineau is one of those protected in that way.

Did MSU-Bottineau used to be NDSU-Bottineau? If so, were there other NDSU branch campuses?

markerman
09-23-2005, 01:53 PM
The thought of merging with UND makes me nautious. I like the idea of getting rid of a few of the small schools, but We are NDSU, they are UND. Keep it that way, forever.

Gully
09-23-2005, 02:05 PM
I know we're not .....but, if we were starting over from scratch, would we really want two big universities and a bunch of little ones? Sometimes we're become so used to the present reality that we have difficulty imagining a significant change.

Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are a few examples of states that have one major school and then some little ones on the side. Obviously, we have fewer people than any of those states so it's not a direct comparison. I would think, however, that the small population actually would support the one university idea even more.

Like I said, I know this will never happen, I just had too many beers one night and thought, "what if".

I can't wait for the NDSU Bison to take on the Cats.

BisonMav
09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
If there was one university where would the people with the mint green sweatshirts with a white turtleneck underneath it, that eat Goat cheese and munch on granola, and drive Volvos, with a slow wit and nearsighted, and especially boring. You know the guys named Skipp or Tadd or Chipp or whatever. UND has been a good place for these folks, with one university, where would they go?

**Descriptions from Bisonville field guide to fans

IowaBison
09-23-2005, 02:29 PM
The best example is Iowa: three public institutions that offer bachelor's and more.

What pisses me off is that the state sends the smaller schools much larger chunks of money per student only to put out a worse product.

Unfortunately the political reality at least for the time being is that we keep all 11 institutions of higher learning.

The biggest problem is that are state is too frugal, if we were crazy like every other state in the Union was in the late 90's (that is slashing taxes, dramatically increasing spending) we would have probably been forced to close one of the schools by now.

IowaBison
09-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Did MSU-Bottineau used to be NDSU-Bottineau? If so, were there other NDSU branch campuses?

To call it a branch is a little bit of a stretch.

Lake Region State College used to be UND-LR.

It meant little other than a small bit of administrative oversight (if that much) and the use of the name.

I wouldn't mind if BSC became NDSU-Bismarck; however.

Herd_Mentality
09-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Gully's idea isn't that far off, in fact I've believed for sometime now that ND's higher education system needs a complete overhaul with realignment to make it financially just. *However, it would just give everybody in the western 3/4 of the state just another reason to hate those of us "on the east coast" even more. *I say have a school in approximately the 4 corners of the state and call it good.

On another note, great article in the forum about women's club hockey at SU. *I never knew that UND's women's hockey team didn't have a single ND native on it.

BismarckBison
09-23-2005, 03:56 PM
We are bumping in the the Politics of a state with changing demographics. We know another round of class B school consolidations are coming. We know the first round of consolidations of county courthouses is coming. We know a reorg of state colleges is coming (Williston, Mayville, Valley City, etc) but those towns are going to have a BRAC like blitz to postpone the closing as long as possible. But with the population shift continuing to Fargo, Bsmk, GF, Dickinson (Interstate 94 will help) and the increase need to be more efficent with state tax dollars, the change are coming. Another reason to be D1.

BISON_PRIDE
09-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I believe most of the colleges in North Dakota are at or near record levels. Many of these students don't have the finances, or want to go to Fargo/Grand Forks for 4 years and leave their families behind. The realignment thing has been tried over and over since the 80's.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
On another note, great article in the forum about women's club hockey at SU. *I never knew that UND's women's hockey team didn't have a single ND native on it.

They've actually had at least two ND natives on the roster every year until this year. Hopefully with girls hockey picking up in ND now there will be some more D-1 recruits. There are a couple of girls from GF who will be some of the top players in the country in college. The Lamerioux sisters. Unreal athletes.

Till
09-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Ugh, the Lamarioux's......

Sure their family may have some gifted athletes, but when I think of them I can only remember when of one of them (Mario?) missed part of EDC and State because he was fighting during a game.

Just an example of the pure thuggery from some kids who have been built up by those around them to think they are Jesus on skates.

sambini
09-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Girls hockey blah....

swaghook
09-24-2005, 02:08 AM
It meant little other than a small bit of administrative oversight (if that much) and the use of the name.

That was about it. The big sport up there was hockey the Lumberjacks have at least four national championships at the Junior college level. I think there is more involvement between Minot and Bottineau now then there ever was between Bottineau and Fargo. I know a lot of students did transfer to NDSU after their two years at Bottineau but they probably still do now that it is MSU-Bottineau.

sambini
09-24-2005, 02:24 AM
Why did it become MSU BOTTINEAU? How many students up there?

kchats
09-24-2005, 02:47 AM
If there was only one university in North Dakota it should be North Dakota State University not University of.

sambini
09-24-2005, 03:02 AM
++

swaghook
09-24-2005, 03:40 AM
Why did it become MSU BOTTINEAU? How many students up there?

The average enrollment is around 440 students a year. I really couldn't tell you why they changed to being affiliated with MSU. Probably because the state board of higher ed decided that the schools were within 80 miles of one another and the affiliation made for a better fit.

westriverbison
09-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Hockey * * blah * * * * * Don't need it, don't want it.

sambini
09-24-2005, 02:55 PM
440 STUDENTS ,MY KIDS CLASS AT AGASSIZ IS OVER 650. AND HOCKEY IS NOT WHAT WE NEED AT NDSU.

swaghook
09-24-2005, 03:44 PM
It's not a big campus up there, and it is only a 2 year college so I don't see the enrollment numbers being that bad. As a student you get a lot of one on one with the professors as they know their students by name not a number. Personally I'd take football any day over hockey but when I attended NDSU-Bottineau I went to the lumberjacks hockey games. When it is almost the only game in town you tend to support it. I really don't understand the change to being MSU-Bottineau because a lot of the big majors up there like Wildlife & Fisheries mgmt tie into programs that are offered at NDSU and not at MSU(at least when I attended school). Back then MSU offered a biology degree but did not offer the zoology degree with emphasis on wildlife & fisheries mgmt that NDSU did.

sambini
09-25-2005, 12:57 AM
I believe you would get a good education there. Also I suppose hockey is the only game in the city. Did you ever go up to the lake? We use to camp yp there when we kids. I heard the lake was flooding this summer?

swaghook
09-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Sure I went to the lake. I can even recall road tripping in the hills and going out on the lake in Jan. only to get lost driving around out there. We ended up dropping the front tires through a pressure ridge and after getting out of that situation we ended up driving off the lake on someones make shift snowmobile trail down to the lake through their yard and ended up mowing down some hedges, hit a stump and ripped open the guys car door like a can opener. Ahhh, the good old days. ;D

I still go back to bottineau since my wife is from there.

sambini
09-25-2005, 01:33 AM
I was in friend of mines wedding there. He use to teach and coach up there.