PDA

View Full Version : A Bison Voice Speaks No More

Bisonguy
11-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Sad day in Bisonville-

Today was the last day for Jack Michaels at WDAY-AM. For those that don't know, he hosted Prime Time Sports on WDAY-AM,called play-by play for Bison women's basketball, was a sideline reporter for Bison football, called the FM Redhawks games, amongst many, many other local sports duties.

He's leaving for all the right reasons, but he will be missed in the FM area-

Here's the story from The Forum- Hawks announcer to leave WDAY] (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=107257&section=Sports)

Best of luck 'Jack', and make sure to drive that three hours to Fargo to watch the Bison!

sambini
11-01-2005, 03:43 AM
Best of luck Jack. Once a bison always a bison. Class Act.

tony
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Maybe he can come tailgate for old times sake, from time to time?

Green-N-Gold
11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
I had many classes with Todd (aka Jack) at NDSU and he was a great guy.

RedRiver
11-01-2005, 07:23 PM
What are the plans of WDAY radio to replace him on the Bison football and women's basketball broadcasts?

kchats
11-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Eddie Shultz is probably out of a job again and isn't he trying to act like a Bison fan again? ;)

I wouldn't want that fairweather go where the wind blows windbag anywhere around the Bison athletic department again.

Chad Stark used to do sideline reporting if I remember correctly. Maybe we can bring another Bison great onto the team with Phil.

Da_Bizon
11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Good luck Jack. Once a Bison, always a Bison.

mikelsch
11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I hope Scott Miller takes over on Prime Time Sports. Maybe WDAY's Justin White or Trevor Peterson will take over the BBall/Football announcing/reporting.

sambini
11-03-2005, 12:53 AM
How about the REDHAWKS?

Bisonguy
11-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Scott Miller talking to Kay Dalton tonight on Prime Time Sports.

I can't remember, but I thought I heard something quickly to the effect that Scott Miller would be taking over Prime Time Sports during Jack Michaels last show.

He would be my choice for the new host.

bincitysioux
11-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Eddie Shultz is probably out of a job again and isn't he trying to act like a Bison fan again? ;) *

I wouldn't want that fairweather go where the wind blows windbag anywhere around the Bison athletic department again.

Ed: *The Bison are the best. *Greatest football program in the country! *People listen to my talk show too, give me money.

WDAY: *You're fired.

KFGO/Clear Channel: *Do a regional rightwing talkshow and the Sioux play-by-play and we'll give you money.

Ed: *The Sioux are the best. *Greatest football program in the country! *Let's bomb Iraq and kill Sadaam. *

Jones Radio Network: *You're fiesty. *Become a democrat and do a "national" show after Rush. *We'll give you money.

KFGO/Clear Channel: *Keep you're local show and we'll keep giving you money, too.

Ed: *Abort the mission. *Iraq is a failed policy. *I don't have time to do football anymore, as my lips have been surgically sown to Ted Kennedy's ass. *Clear Channel sucks, they won't pick up my "national" show.

KFGO/Clear Channel: You're Fired.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Future conversation between Ed and Ralph Nader:

Ralph: *Want some money?

Ed: *Well, duh?

Ralph: *Green Party Radio Network

Ed: *I'm you're man.
----------------------------------------------------------
Ed was a great play-by-play guy for both schools, he is a very talented radio personality, fun to listen too. However he is also an invertebrate, and has no spine.

sambini
11-03-2005, 02:54 AM
I agree Bincity. ED has moved up to the big time.

bincitysioux
11-03-2005, 02:56 AM
While we are on the subject of radio and Jack Michaels, I'd like to say that I have always enjoyed listening to Jack. *He's got a great radio voice, and is very knowledgeable. *I always enjoyed listening to his morning show on 1280, when it was known as the Ticket, and had local sports all day. *I have always preferred Jack on Primetime sports on WDAY over Sportsnight with Derek Hanson on KFGO. *He will be missed by Bison fans, and all sports fans in general. *

This got me thinking about the different sports personalities that have served both NDSU and UND athletics. *Who do you think has been good? *Obviously Ed Schultz did a great job, for both schools, despite being spinal challenged. *Currently, I do prefer listening to Dan Hammer's play-by-play over Scott Miller. *Personally I think he has a better voice and better talent. *As far as the color guys go, it is great that the Bison have a state legend like Phil Hansen doing commentary, I have always been a big fan of his, but I don't think he has much talent. *Tony Stein, who does color for the Sioux, is obviously a homer (former QB), but I think does a good job being objective during Sioux broadcasts. *Anyways, did Scott Miller take over right after Ed, or was there someone in between? *Does anybody remember who did UND games before Ed, because I don't. I will miss Jack Michaels, because I think he was the best of the three on the Bison broadcasts. *

Now that Jack is working for Clear Channel in Bismarck, I hold out hope that in the future he will be a part of the Saturday morning talk show on 710, that discusses the local sports in North Dakota.

Bisonguy
11-03-2005, 03:10 AM
While we are on the subject of radio and Jack Michaels, I'd like to say that I have always enjoyed listening to Jack. *He's got a great radio voice, and is very knowledgeable. *I always enjoyed listening to his morning show on 1280, when it was known as the Ticket, and had local sports all day. *I have always preferred Jack on Primetime sports on WDAY over Sportsnight with Derek Hanson on KFGO. *He will be missed by Bison fans, and all sports fans in general. *

This got me thinking about the different sports personalities that have served both NDSU and UND athletics. *Who do you think has been good? *Obviously Ed Schultz did a great job, for both schools, despite being spinal challenged. *Currently, I do prefer listening to Dan Hammer's play-by-play over Scott Miller. *Personally I think he has a better voice and better talent. *As far as the color guys go, it is great that the Bison have a state legend like Phil Hansen doing commentary, I have always been a big fan of his, but I don't think he has much talent. *Tony Stein, who does color for the Sioux, is obviously a homer (former QB), but I think does a good job being objective during Sioux broadcasts. *Anyways, did Scott Miller take over right after Ed, or was there someone in between? *Does anybody remember who did UND games before Ed, because I don't. *I will miss Jack Michaels, because I think he was the best of the three on the Bison broadcasts. *

Now that Jack is working for Clear Channel in Bismarck, I hold out hope that in the future he will be a part of the Saturday morning talk show on 710, that discusses the local sports in North Dakota.

First off, I'll pick on UND's guys-

Dan Hammer- good voice, but not as good as Scott Miller or Eddie on the play-by-play. He often doesn't give the yardage and other info that should be stated on a radio broadcast. IMO- he would make a better TV announcer, where the yardage, down, score, etc. are given on the TV screen

Tony Stein- Not a bad color guy and gives some good perspective, but seems a little unprofessional at times, especially when laughing at the opponents during a UND blowout.

Scott Miller- Sorry, I'm a homer and overlook any shortfalls he may have.

Ed Schultz- As much as it pains me, he was far and away the very best play-by-play in the region (at least that I have listened to). He stated the score and time a lot, and always stated the formation, any motion, field position, down, yardage for every play- you could nearly close your eyes and see exactly what was happening when listening to Eddie. I cannot say the same on any of the other play-by-play guys.

bincitysioux
11-03-2005, 03:30 AM
First off, I'll pick on UND's guys-

Dan Hammer- good voice, but not as good as Scott Miller or Eddie on the play-by-play. He often doesn't give the yardage and other info that should be stated on a radio broadcast. IMO- he would make a better TV announcer, where the yardage, down, score, etc. are given on the TV screen

Tony Stein- Not a bad color guy and gives some good perspective, but seems a little unprofessional at times, especially when laughing at the opponents during a UND blowout.

Scott Miller- Sorry, I'm a homer and overlook any shortfalls he may have.

Ed Schultz- As much as it pains me, he was far and away the very best play-by-play in the region (at least that I have listened to). He stated the score and time a lot, and always stated the formation, any motion, field position, down, yardage for every play- you could nearly close your eyes and see exactly what was happening when listening to Eddie. I cannot say the same on any of the other play-by-play guys.

I'll agree that Hammer is probably better suited for TV than for radio, probably because he used to be on TV so much. Anybody know why he left KVLY, came back, and left again? I just think he has a very good voice and does an all around nice job.

I'll also agree that Scott Miller does a tremendous job in providing the information needed to veiw the game in your mind. My personal knock on him is his voice and cadence. Rather plain. I find myself drifting when listening and then pick it back up when he gets excited for a long play or such.

Also agree whole-heartedly on Ed Schultz. Easily the best sports broadcaster the region has ever seen. It is true what you say, listening to him describe what was going on was nearly as good as watching it. Newstalk wise, I prefer Scott Hennan, though, but that's probably for political reasons.

87Bisonfan
11-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Wasn't ED a finalist for the Minnesota Vikings radio guy several years ago? The job that Paul Allen currently has?

I also believe that ED was the best football radio guy in the region, but I don't know how well he would have done with the Vikings. I think that PA is better than Ed.

GFBison
11-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Scott Miller WAS the UND play by play before ED.

bincitysioux
11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Scott Miller WAS the UND play by play before ED.

Interesting

met1990
11-03-2005, 06:13 PM
I think Paul Allen is awesome. Especially his playcalling a few years ago when he called the Vikes/Cardinals game Minnesota lost on the last play to knock them out of the playoffs. That stuff was gold!! My favorite quote was this weekend when the Vikes lost to Carolina. "If Fred Smoot is on the injured reserve next week, it will be because of a broken heart."

UND92
11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I remember miller when he was in G.F. He did high school BB a couple of years. Very nice man and very professional. I like the idea how he had a couple of coaches on his show last night. I hope he keeps that up during the BB season. It's nice to see people talk about high school kids and teams from time to time.

kchats
11-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Miller does a great job of trying to show very little bias during his game call. I have heard him say he disagreed with penalties or turnovers that favor the Bison many times.

sambini
11-04-2005, 04:35 AM
Scott Miller is a verygood announcer my oh my....

Bisonguy
11-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Jack Michaels is calling the Bison women's game, so maybe he's back??

sambini
11-20-2005, 10:17 PM
He starts tomorrow in Bismarck.