PDA

View Full Version : Best Venue for Any Sporting Event?

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 06:17 AM
I was just wondering as a sports fan in general where you would like to see a game, whether it be football, hockey, baseball, basketball, golf, horseracing, bullfighting, or whatever, be played. Whether it be a city, a stadium, a favorite team, favorite sport, bowl game, or championship game.

Personally, I would like to go to Yankee Stadium, walk around Monument Park, and sit in the right field stands where Roger Maris hit No. 61 and watch the Yankees play the Red Sox. Second, I'd like to see a Packers-Bears game at Lambeau Field in December.

I'm kind of a history buff, and as nice as the REA, Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, or the Ballpark at Arlington may be, I would rather explore the Ivy of Wrigley Field, or walk around the floor of the Boston Garden (before they imploded it ).

sambini
12-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Lets see college football been to the BIG HOUSE, SUN DEVIL STADIUM,AND MY FAVORITE MEMORIAL STADIUM LINCOLN,NE. Baseball been to the BOB IN PHOENIX, FENWAY,BUSCH,AND MY FAVORITE SO FAR WRIGLEY FIELD. I would like to go to Notre DAME AND Lambeau Field.

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Lets see college football been to the BIG HOUSE, SUN DEVIL STADIUM,AND MY FAVORITE MEMORIAL STADIUM LINCOLN,NE. Baseball been to the BOB IN PHOENIX, FENWAY,BUSCH,AND MY FAVORITE SO FAR WRIGLEY FIELD. I would like to go to Notre DAME AND Lambeau Field.

That's awsome. I've also been to Sun Devil Stadium.

BraxtonT
12-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Baseball:

1. PacBell (SBC) in San Francisco

1a. PNC Park in Pittsburgh

1aa. Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore

These three are unbelievable to watch a game at. I'm a huge Yankee fan and have been at The Stadium twice, but I'm glad they are going to build a new one.

The old ones I have been too (Wrigley, Tiger, Fenway) were great to visit, but they definitely don't measure up (IMHO) to the new modern parks.

Bin,

It's the middle of December and now you got me thinking of my next baseball trip for next summer!! :)

Gully
12-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I've been to Lambeau Field a few times and it doesn't get much better than that for football. I'd like to sit outside in the bowl once though, I think that would actually be more fun than the boxes.

Not much history here, but Wild games at the X on the club level is a great time. Bars everywhere and you feel like you're really on top of the ice looking down.

I'd really like to go to Wrigley, Notre Dame, the "Big House" in Michigan, and Memorial Stadium at Nebraska.

The "Pit" is also on my list. If the Bison men play there I will have to go.

WYOBISONMAN
12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Maybe I live in the past, but I miss the Vikking game outside at Met Stadium.....If the game sucked you could always watch the planes take off from the airport!!

I remember a Viking-Packer game one December and my beer froze before I could get it drank!!!

runtheoption
12-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Twickenham Stadium in London to watch England play either "Les Bleus" (France) or the New Zealand All-Blacks in rugby.

Then it would be Fenway, Wrigley, "Chavez Ravine", Lambeau, Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, and the Big House for a Michigan/Ohio St, in that order.

Of course, these all fall in line behind wherever and whomever it is the Bison may be playing.

kchats
12-11-2005, 04:53 PM
NFL is definitely Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. Best games are against the Raiders and the Broncos.

Baseball not a big fan. Royals Stadium is a great venue but the team couldn't beat the Red Hawks.

College Football I would like to make it to the FargoDome to see the Bison play.

College Basketball a renovated BSA to watch the Bison men and women play.

BISON_PRIDE
12-11-2005, 10:05 PM
The Tolley High School gym (ND) before they closed the school in 1985. You had to sit behind the baskets, chairs for the players on one side, wall on the other. Ah memories.

sambini
12-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Arrowhead is good, edwards dome in St.LOUIS, AND WENT AND SAW PHIL HANSEN PLAY IN BUFFALO. They started tailgating there on Fridays. Colleg hoops been to MCHALE ATUofArizona and Williams Arena is good.

BisonMav
12-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Just places I have been to so far, not including Bison venue's.

NFL - Lambeau Field
MLB - Yankee Stadium
NBA - Target Center
NHL - Winnipeg Arena
College Hockey - Old Mariucci
College Basketball - Williams Arena
College Baseball - Rosenblatt Stadium - Omaha
College Football - Nile Kinnick - Iowa City
High School Football - Todd Field @ McNamara Stadium - Hastings, MN
High School Basketball - Roy Wilkens Arena - St Paul
High School Hockey - Wakota Arena - South St Paul

insane_ponderer
12-12-2005, 01:13 AM
pac bell in san fran was outstanding, was just there this summer and watched atlanta beat down the giants, amazing view of the ocean and the bay bridge, its in a great part of town with the piers and not all that far away from chinatown...

nfl - lambeu, or ralph wilson stadium...in december, in the snow
college - i wish ndsu would play a december game at dakota field
bb - big fan of the petersen events center at the univ of pitt

WYOBISONMAN
12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Gil....I am with you on the Winnipeg Arena. Used to go to Jets games there! I have hated the Phoenix Coyotes ever since they defected from Winnipeg.....(That goes for the Dallas Stars too......)

BisonMav
12-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Gil....I am with you on the Winnipeg Arena. *Used to go to Jets games there! * I have hated the Phoenix Coyotes ever since they defected from Winnipeg.....(That goes for the Dallas Stars too......)

Great Montreal Dogs there too

TheBisonator
12-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Gil....I am with you on the Winnipeg Arena. *Used to go to Jets games there! * I have hated the Phoenix Coyotes ever since they defected from Winnipeg.....(That goes for the Dallas Stars too......)

Hey WYO, I used to be a HUGE Jets fan growing up (watched a lot of games on cable growing up in Fargo), and the day they left for Phoenix was the worst day in my life.

Here's a site dedicated to bringing back the Winnipeg Jets by the purchase of a failing Sun Belt franchise - http://www.jetsowner.com

We REALLY believe in this cause, and we think the Jets will be back sooner than you think, now that there has been a new state-of-the-art 15,100-seat arena built in downtown Winnipeg.

GO JETS GO!!!

Gully
12-12-2005, 12:42 PM
The Tolley High School gym (ND) before they closed the school in 1985. *You had to sit behind the baskets, chairs for the players on one side, wall on the other. * Ah memories.

Tolley ND, didn't they have the highest drug use per capita in the US in the 1980s? Of course, not too many people lived there.

If I remember correctly, the 3 point line was near or even on the other side of half court (seriously). It was basically a quonset (insert Alerus joke here) turned into a gym.

Tolley had some very good teams in the 80s for being a small school.

BisonMav
12-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Tolley ND, didn't they have the highest drug use per capita in the US in the 1980s? *Of course, not too many people lived there.

If I remember correctly, the 3 point line was near or even on the other side of half court (seriously). *It was basically a quonset (insert Alerus joke here) turned into a gym.

Those were great gym's. You had your back against the wall, toes sticking over the line, balcony blocking shots from the corners, 3 lines at mid-court, chicken-coup locker rooms etc. Ah the good old days.

NDSU_grad
12-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Tolley ND, didn't they have the highest drug use per capita in the US in the 1980s? *Of course, not too many people lived there.

If I remember correctly, the 3 point line was near or even on the other side of half court (seriously). *It was basically a quonset (insert Alerus joke here) turned into a gym.

It wasn't basically a quonset, it was a quonset. If you took the ball out of bounds on the sides, you kind of had to bend over because of the curvature of the building. No three-point lines on the baseline because it was too narrow. Of course, that didn't stop me from leading (ok, lead may be a strong word) my 5th and 6th grade basketball team to a 4th place finish in the 1986 Tolley Invitational Tournament. ;)

IowaBisonToo
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Braxton T and G-City Bison Fan. You both mentioned Pac Bell. Would have to agree quite heavily with both of you. Been to San Fran twice for different conferences. First time went to watch a game there, second time went to a party on the field! :D You think watching a game there is great, try looking at the stands down from home plate. Still amazes me that B. Bonds cranks them out over the right field wall. Hell of a lot further than what it looks. I guess juice will do that for you, though :o

Kinick in Iowa City is very nice as is UN in Lincoln.

Not been there yet but my brother-in-law said the Excel is absolutely awesome.

BISON_PRIDE
12-12-2005, 10:13 PM

Yea, they made some notorious list for drug use as I recall. *The teams in the 80's had three good players, dominated until they got to be seniors, then no depth,no one to practice against, and no endurance. *They closed the school the next year. * I played a couple games there, being from Kenmare, but we didn't dare use the showers.

The Excel is awsome, I'll give it that.

WYOBISONMAN
12-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I have been to some rocking games in the good old Williston High School Fieldhouse.....now the Phil Jackson Fieldhouse. *The wildest game I remember was when the Epping Eagles won the right to go to State at the Region 7 Boys Basketball tourney! It was a historic game...........

BISON_PRIDE
12-12-2005, 10:41 PM
A friend of mine, who is now the head trainer at VCSU said he had the only distinction of throwing Phil Jackson out of the Phil Jackson Gymnasium. *He was coaching Garrison in wrestling at the time, there was a tournament in Williston they had a private practice going on when Phil walked in. *Not being a basketball fan he didn't know who he was. *It makes for a funny story.

It's hard to believe how many small schools we have lost in the last 20 years. Karlsruhe was another small school with very good teams.

MN_BISONS
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
It's hard to believe how many small schools we have lost in the last 20 years. *Karlsruhe was another small school with very good teams.

You could add Wolford to that list.

WYOBISONMAN
12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
It's hard to believe how many small schools we have lost in the last 20 years. *Karlsruhe was another small school with very good teams.

Yes, it is kind of sad. There is a hell of a legacy of some fantastic sports in the "small town past" of North Dakota. Even though I am a Williston graduate, I always like the Class "B" BB tourney more. There is nothing like Class "B" ball for the emotion, intensity and loyalty.

JBB
12-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Can the book be far behind? 8)

sambini
12-13-2005, 01:59 AM
I remember playing 7th grade basketball *at St.Johns parish hall in New Rockford. Chalk scoreboard and you could end up in the lobby if you missed a layup.

roadwarrior
12-13-2005, 02:08 AM
I think the best sporting venue is any one that the Bison are playing in ;D

WYOBISONMAN
12-13-2005, 02:30 AM
I think the best sporting venue is any one that the Bison are playing in ;D

+++

IH8daSioux
12-13-2005, 07:03 AM
BEST.

LAMBLOW FIELD>. SOOO OVERRATED!!!! OVERHYPED>. kinda like their QB #4....

fans were ahole's tailgating was abysmol.... screw lamblow field.

miller park was sweet.. as was wrigley..

ST JOHNS UNI at collegeville. with leaves turning is amazing!!

BisonMav
12-13-2005, 12:37 PM
BEST.

LAMBLOW FIELD>. SOOO OVERRATED!!!! OVERHYPED>. kinda like their QB #4....

fans were ahole's tailgating was abysmol.... screw lamblow field.

miller park was sweet.. as was wrigley..

ST JOHNS UNI *at collegeville. with leaves turning is amazing!!

It's amazing the hundreds of people I talk to, mostly Vikings fans, all had great experiences at Lambeau. *I am sure the old saying is true, you can't please everyone.

I guess your comment about #4 being over-rated speaks for itself. *Don't tell me you are just a Mr. Jim Kleinsasser lover. :-**::) :-[ *;)

NDSU_grad
12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Yea, they made some notorious list for drug use as I recall. *The teams in the 80's had three good players, dominated until they got to be seniors, then no depth,no one to practice against, and no endurance. *They closed the school the next year. * I played a couple games there, being from Kenmare, but we didn't dare use the showers.

The Excel is awsome, I'll give it that.
I remember the Oakes brothers from Tolley being very good players. I think they played in the mid-80's. You can chalk my high school (Carpio) as one that was lost to declining population in rural America.

Gully
12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I remember the Oakes brothers from Tolley being very good players. *I think they played in the mid-80's. *You can chalk my high school (Carpio) as one that was lost to declining population in rural America.

Was it Oakeson? I remember Tom Alexander being very good as well. This was back in the days where Les Jepsen played for Bowbells. Les ended up at Iowa and played in the NBA, CBA, and in Europe.

Who would have thought Tolley, ND sports would ever be discussed on the internet?

NDSU_grad
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Was it Oakeson? *I remember Tom Alexander being very good as well. *This was back in the days where Les Jepsen played for Bowbells. *Les ended up at Iowa and played in the NBA, CBA, and in Europe.

Who would have thought Tolley, ND sports would ever be discussed on the internet?
Very well could be Oakeson. I was in grade school at the time, I think their names were Lance and Larry.

BISON_PRIDE
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Yea it was the Okeson's and Tom Resch was good too.
Districts were Donnybrook, Carpio, Tolley, and Lansford, all are gone. *I loved playing in those small gyms, they were fun road trips. I played against Les Jepsen, one Junior high game they dressed six players. He played for the Fargo Fever one year.

MN_BISONS
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Jepsen played two years in the NBA proir to playing for the Fever. Banked about 2 million, not bad for a kid from Bowbells if you ask me.

IL_Bison
12-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Anyone know if the Les Jepsen sign is still up on Highway 8 outside of Bowbells? Its been awhile since i've been down that road.

Sidenote--Hunter Berg was easily the best player I ever saw in person in ND Class B

Back to venues:

College Basketball: Assembly Hall in Champaign--the place can get extremely loud and with everybody wearing orange and the layout I'm sure it could be disorienting for a shooter.

MN_BISONS
12-13-2005, 08:33 PM
[quote author=IL_Bison link=board=bc;num=1134281873;start=30#35 date=12/13/05 at 14:00:35]
Sidenote--Hunter Berg was easily the best player I ever saw in person in ND Class B quote]

Hunter was very good, but I'd take Scott Guldseth for best player I ever saw for ND Class B.

BisonMav
12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Guldseth & Jerry Pyle, 2 different era's, both great players.

Gully
12-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Anyone know if the Les Jepsen sign is still up on Highway 8 outside of Bowbells? *Its been awhile since i've been down that road.

Sidenote--Hunter Berg was easily the best player I ever saw in person in ND Class B

Back to venues:

College Basketball: Assembly Hall in Champaign--the place can get extremely loud and with everybody wearing orange and the layout I'm sure it could be disorienting for a shooter.

I played against Hunter and while he was unreal in high school there have been much better players. When he was at UND he looked very average to me.

Not trying to rip on him just trying to keep things in perspective.

In addition to his amazing no-look passes, the thing I remember about him is that he shot jump shots for free throws.

eflieth
12-14-2005, 01:41 AM
My Favorite Sporting Venues that i have been too:

1.Soldier Field-Chicago Bears
2.Old Trafford-Manchester United Soccer
3.The St. John's Football Stadium, i'd go there even if there wasn't a game
4.Highbury-London/Arsenal Soccer, its like the fenway park of english soccer, old, small, and lots of mystique
5.Don't laugh but the Lewey Lee Fieldhouse at Mayville state, played many a game there, and i liked it even before they fixed it up

those are just some

87Bisonfan
12-14-2005, 02:40 AM
A great stadium I have been to was "The Shoe" at Ohio State University. Attended a football game there and a Rolling Stones concert there. The OSU game had a great atmoshphere was a lot of fun to attend, actually had to pay more for the OSU football tickets than the tickets for the Rolling Stones!

Sidenote -- they didn't allow smoking at the Rolling Stones concert -- they probably figured that more than Marlboro's would be smoked with that crowd.

Dacotah Field was another great football venue -- had a lot of good and rowdy times in the student section in the south bleachers.

sambini
12-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Dacotah Field was great my seats were on the south 35 yard line. Also forgot St.Johns is a great little football venue.