PDA

View Full Version : Bison Around The Town

Bisonguy
11-17-2005, 12:36 AM
I "herd" about this project a while back, but there was just a story on the WDAY 6:00 news tonight-

The Lake Agassiz Arts Council is coordinating a public art exhibit featuring fiberglass Bison painted by local and national artists. Same sort of thing as the Peanuts characters in Minneapolis.

Pretty cool, IMO- Read more here- http://www.herdabouttheprairie.org/index.html

sambini
11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I saw something about it on TV. I wouldn't mind one in my front yard.

sambini
11-20-2005, 05:59 AM
What would one cost?

Bisonguy
11-20-2005, 02:55 PM
What would one cost?

This is from the Fact Sheet on the link above-

Businesses, corporations, civic groups and individuals may sponsor bison and receive the following benefits as a Stampede -- $3500 -- sponsor Listing in all promotional material, including:
Sponsorship Signage on base of finished bison
Catalogue
DVD
Website listing
Select an artist from a list provided or select your own
Choice of placement of bison on private or selected public property
Red River -- $5000 -- sponsors receive all of the benefits listed plus a $1000 discount if a bison is purchased at auction.

Prairie Rose -- $8000 – receive all of the benefits listed plus ownership of a bison

So, at $8k you can design your own, have an artist paint it, and then take it home with you (keep in mind they're 5 feet tall, eight feet long, and three feet wide).

All others will go to auction, I believe. If it's anything like the Peanuts auction in the Cites, they will go for at least a few grand each.

sambini
11-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I can go to OPPS landscaping and get one for 500. bucks.

Bisonguy
11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I *can go to OPPS landscaping and get one for 500. bucks.

Are they painted?

sambini
11-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Made of concrete, we bought one for a past teammaker president. He put it at his lake place. Not as big as the ones you are talking about.

Bisonguy
11-23-2005, 03:34 AM
There's actually a lot of concrete bison in Fargo. I was thinking of taking some photos and having people guess where they were located.

WYOBISONMAN
11-23-2005, 12:47 PM
There's actually a lot of concrete bison in Fargo. I was thinking of taking some photos and having people guess where they were located.

Now that would be a good off-season game for all of us waiting for next fall to come..... ;D Bisonguy, you could have a "Bison of the Week".......just show enough of the surroundings that some of us oldtimers could figure it out too..... ;)

TheBisonator
11-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I was talking with one of my art professors about this, and she said that Doug Burgum is going to donate a very large Bison sculpture (about 12 feet high??) carved out by a master sculptor, and the art department will decide which students to paint it to put it up on display downtown. She said it won't be given to the art department until next year though.

Bisonguy
11-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I was talking with one of my art professors about this, and she said that Doug Burgum is going to donate a very large Bison sculpture (about 12 feet high??) carved out by a master sculptor, and the art department will decide which students to paint it to put it up on display downtown. She said it won't be given to the art department until next year though.

Doug Burgum is a sponsor at the $8k level for Herd About the Prairie, which gives him ownership of one of the Bison, and allows him to select who he wants to paint the Bison. Herd About the Prairie will be displayed May through August 2006, so I'm guessing that's what she was talking about.

I also see that Microsoft is a sponsor at the $8k level, so it looks like Burgum is funding the project fairly well.

Bisonguy
02-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Herd about the Prairie is in full swing, with the unveiling of the bison at West Acres a couple weeks ago. One of the bison is currently being painted by a Native American artist in the JC Penney's wing (just saw him working on it a couple hours ago).

sambini- one of these sure would look good in your front yard. ;D