PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Med school or Law school?

MplsBison
03-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Recently I was in NW Florida and had the chance to visit Flordia State.

It was impressive to say the least.

FSU has both a law and a med school. And it might suprise you to know that FSU is not even the land grant school in Florida, UF is. They don't have an agriculture college.

What would you guys think if NDSU opened a med school on campus? We already have nursing and pharmacy.

Perhaps we could work out a deal with Meritcare to open North Dakota State University Hospital?

IowaBison
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Not remotely possible. Unless someone showed up with a $100 million in hand (and please Ichabod, if you're out there, there are better uses for the money), it makes no sense.

North Dakota can barely support mediocre to poor programs at UND (and that's not a shot at them we don't have the money to support them) adding a law or medical program in Fargo would be INSANE! The State Board of Higher Ed would not support it, the legislature would not support, and NorthDakotaBison would not support it!

Now a school of public health.......

roadwarrior
03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I agree, there is a MUCH better chance at winning the Powerball lottery than a med school or law school being added at NDSU.

mikelsch
03-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I would like to see a Vet school, especially since NDSU already has a Vet Tech program and a great microbiology department.

Also, there is no Dental school or Optometry school in North Dakota.

I would imagine that all 3 schools would be extremely expensive.

insane_ponderer
03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
seriously...ndbison and greenie i like both of your thinking...i got a micro degree and ndsu and now am doing a public health graduate degree at pitt, i feel that both a vet program and a public health program are both very feasible and would tie in great with the current microbiology department.

obviously there would have to be a few upgrades but it wouldnt be nearly the stretch that a med school or law school would be

besides, who in their right mind would want more lawyers running around the state ;)

IowaBisonToo
03-06-2006, 02:39 PM
A vet program?? *Good idea but, cha-chiiing!!!! *Can you imagine what kind of funds would have to be doled out to 1) upgrade the facilities at NDSU for a Vet School and 2) hire the faculty to staff a Vet School???? *Even though NDSU is an ag school, there is no way it will happen -- at least not in the next 20 years. *By my count, there are 29 Vet Schools in the US. *States like Indiana, S Carolina and Arizona don't even have Vet programs. *How could N Dakota expect to fund one? *I'd say a better use for that money would be to increase the salaries of the faculty in the state already. *Until that happens, no Vet School.

IowaBison
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree IowaBisonToo.

It would require far too much energy to create (at the present time).

But the research dollars in micro/vet/public health are crazy big.

I'd say start with the public health school (which is also a stretch) and then ten years or more down the road a vet school might be possible.

insane_ponderer
03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
well with the forensic microbiology lab thats going in at ndsu and the fargo public health dept right there. *Not to mention the already established vet tech and food safety degrees a public health option wouldnt be too much of a stretch...it just depends on what level you would want to offer these programs. *obviously if you want to make these grad degrees theres more involved in the way of money, faculty and space.

jjbluecw
03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Recently I was in NW Florida and had the chance to visit Flordia State.

It was impressive to say the least.

FSU has both a law and a med school. And it might suprise you to know that FSU is not even the land grant school in Florida, UF is. They don't have an agriculture college.

What would you guys think if NDSU opened a med school on campus? We already have nursing and pharmacy.

Perhaps we could work out a deal with Meritcare to open North Dakota State University Hospital?

OT: This thread reminded me of earlier this year when Myron Rolle who is a blue chip football recruit and has ambitions to be a doctor chose FSU over University of Michigan because of "academics".....HA!

WYOBISONMAN
03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
My two cents.......Med school ....no, Law School.....no.

North Dakota would be crazy to duplicate those two costly programs.

TheBisonator
03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
UND has those two programs, and they absolutely suck at them. I think I read something where UND's med school and law school were both ranked near the bottom in the country. If anything, we need to build up our graduate and doctorate programs so we can become Carnegie Level IV.

WYOBISONMAN
03-06-2006, 09:23 PM
UND has those two programs, and they absolutely suck at them. I think I read something where UND's med school and law school were both ranked near the bottom in the country. If anything, we need to build up our graduate and doctorate programs so we can become Carnegie Level IV.

Actually, being in healthcare administration, I have seen some very good physicians come from the UND Med School. With out the med school at UND I think it would be much tougher to recruit MDs to North Dakota.

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
If anything, we need to build up our graduate and doctorate programs so we can become Carnegie Level IV.

If I remember correctly, JD and MD are both graduate degrees.

If Florida has two med schools and two law schools, then North Dakota can do it too.

We have two seats in the senete just like they do.

DenverBison05
03-06-2006, 11:07 PM
If I remember correctly, JD and MD are both graduate degrees.

If Florida has two med schools and two law schools, then North Dakota can do it too.

We have two seats in the senete just like they do.

Are you smoking something, first the baseball thread and now this comment?

Florida has a huge population advantage over us. Hence they have 10 law schools. (I don't know how many med schools they have but Im sure its similar.)

Please for the sake of your own dignity, stop coming up with these insane ideas.

roadwarrior
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Obviously because MplsBison is not a North Dakota taxpayer, he probably doesnt care about the huge cost involved.

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Florida has a huge population advantage over us. *Hence they have 10 law schools. *(I don't know how many med schools they have but Im sure its similar.)

I understand that. I think ND could do it, though. We could be a leader in the nation.

We're already going to be a leader in the RFID industry.

Please for the sake of your own dignity, stop coming up with these insane ideas.

Why don't you just worry about your own dignity? Thanks.

Bison_Pride
03-07-2006, 12:23 AM

Be careful when you bash UND's medical school If it were not for them, states like North Dakota would have an even more difficult time bringing health services to rural areas. They are one of the better schools for teaching rural health care in the US. Imagine if there were only 4 cities in North Dakota with hospitals and clinics. Newsflash.... You will NEVER get the top medical student prospects to come to North Dakota, if you haven't noticed it is a cold weather, isolated, sparsely populated state.

insane_ponderer
03-07-2006, 01:06 AM
yeah, i dont know if i buy that all that much...i haven't seen that many good und med school graduates. I have seen my share of poor ones in the rural areas I have lived in.

Rural healthcare is obviously in a tough spot and there probably is a reason I haven't seen the good und graduates (because they didn't stick around) but not a lot of things scare me more than a bad doctor.

Bison_Pride
03-07-2006, 04:02 AM
And the doctors who graduated from other medical schools must have been wonderful I bet?

Bison7925
03-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Just something I thought I would share.
http://artcretefargo.com///scan02.jpg

insane_ponderer
03-07-2006, 05:18 AM
And the doctors who graduated from other medical schools must have been wonderful I bet? *

well with anything there will be good and bad, i am not saying that und is a horrible med school, but we all know that there are a few hundred in the nation that are better. That is also not to say that those schools don't have bad students and und doesn't have its great students...but still, lets be honest i know plenty of kids that have gotten in to that med school, and i know that there is no way in hell i would want them diagnosing or operating on me in any way, and you know that unfortunately the small town rural hospitals that don't have many options are where those doctors get put.

Bison_Pride
03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
There are good and bad doctors everywhere, even Pittsburg.
Don't put all your faith into someone because they scored high on the MCAT's. It's what they've learned in the next 8 years that should matter.

insane_ponderer
03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
There are good and bad doctors everywhere, even Pittsburg. *
Don't put all your faith into someone because they scored high on the MCAT's. *It's what they've learned in the next 8 years that should matter.

totally agree...but i still might pick on und med students from time to time if thats alright ? ;)

Bison_Dan
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Be careful when you bash UND's medical school *If it were not for them, states like North Dakota would have an even more difficult time bringing health services to rural areas. *They are one of the better schools for teaching rural health care in the US. *Imagine if there were only 4 cities in North Dakota with hospitals and clinics. Newsflash.... * *You will NEVER get the top medical student prospects to come to North Dakota, if you haven't noticed it is a cold weather, isolated, sparsely populated state.

Please explain to me "rural health care". Do rural people have different medical needs than city folks? I grew up on a farm and now your giving me a complex, I didn't know I was different. Help! ::)

IowaBisonToo
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Not to bash UND Med school but, my advisor at NDSU had a kid who got a D in a 400-level science class. This kid got accepted to UND Med School. I doubt that would have happened at many other med schools in the nation. Now, I don't know how he turned out but, it is a sign of what ND accepts because of the size of the state. Maybe they didn't have that many people apply that year however, my point is that the school up there needs to take care of some internal issues -- which they may already have done. But that doesn't mean NDSU should start up a med school to try and one-up UND. There are many other programs that NDSU accels at and their focus should be on them -- not some pipe dream of an idea that there could be 2 med schools in ND.

WYOBISONMAN
03-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Please explain to me "rural health care". *Do rural people have different medical needs than city folks? *I grew up on a farm and now your giving me a complex, I didn't know I was different. *Help! * ::)

Having worked in healthcare in both urban and rural settings I can tell you the delivery systems are very different. In a rural delivery system the primary care providers have to practice and provide a much wider range of services than in an urban setting. In a rural setting you will see many FPs deliver babies, while in an urba setting many FPs will not even admit to a hospital. So, the needs are the same, but the delivery system is very different. Most UND grads like and do well in a rural delivery system.....that is what we need in ND and out here in WY.

IowaBisonToo
03-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Most UND grads like and do well in a rural delivery system.....that is what we need in ND and out here in WY.

+++++++