PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected News

NDSUstudent
03-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I just checked my NDSU email account and noticed this email from President Chapman.

Dear friends and colleagues,

I have received word that I have been selected as a finalist candidate for the
presidency of another university. A final selection has not yet been made and
whether or not I receive an offer * or whether or not I would accept any offer if
made - is only speculation at this point. Nevertheless, out of respect for you and
this great institution, I wanted you to hear of this development from me directly.

The seven years that I have served as president of NDSU have been the most rewarding
of my career. Gale and I have come to love NDSU and the people of North Dakota. If
we were to leave, it would be with great reluctance because the campus and the State
of North Dakota have truly become home.

While it is not uncommon for a sitting university president to be approached by
another university, I will not let the vetting process interfere with my
responsibilities. I anticipate that a decision will be made in the near future and
I will share information as it becomes available.

Joe Chapman

IowaBison
03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Just got it, too.

HOLY FUC$IN' SHIT!

IowaBison
03-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Mississippi State is looking...

http://www.msstate.edu/president/retirementmemo.html

IowaBison
03-10-2006, 06:34 PM
As is Wyoming

http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/trustees/presidential_search/

I think this is the one.

Joe's from and been out west for a while.

Also fits the timeline.

BisonBacker
03-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Dam that's not good news for NDSU, *I guess for Joe it is if he's wanting to go elsewhere however I think he's done a very good job and would hate to see him go. :(

BisonBacker
03-10-2006, 07:03 PM
It's in the Forum, it is Wyoming.

IowaBisonToo
03-10-2006, 07:08 PM
That says a lot about Chapman as a U President! If he feels that he has accomplished a significant amount while at NDSU -- which he most definitely has -- then by all means, I wish him the best if he so desires to take the job if offered to him. It would be sad to see him go.

mikelsch
03-10-2006, 07:33 PM
If he leaves, I would like him to take a more high-profile job than Wyoming.

Unless he goes to Wyoming, and convinces the other Presidents to invite NDSU into the Mountain West Conference as their 10th member.

roadwarrior
03-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Is it time for the NDSU Development Foundation to quickly kick in a retention bonus?

mikelsch
03-10-2006, 07:37 PM
The two finalists are Loren Crabtree, chancellor of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and Joseph A. Chapman, president of North Dakota State University (NDSU), Fargo.

Each candidate will visit the UW campus in late March or early April

IowaBisonToo
03-10-2006, 08:19 PM
If he leaves, I would like him to take a more high-profile job than Wyoming.

This is kind of putting the cart before the horse but, maybe he sees something at Wyoming that he could change or make a substantial contribution. Also, don't forget about the almighty dollar. Remember, Wyoming isn't exactly high on the pay totem pole however, there is only one 4-year public university in the state (correct me if I'm wrong) which might lead to a bigger pay day than ND could give him. Not saying that ~$140K in Fargo is anything to sneeze at but, maybe Wyoming could bump that to ~$160K????

Don't forget, as a professional, a lot of times these guys' tenures are limited due strictly to what their goals are. Once you've reached those goals or done as much as you think you can, then it's time to go somewhere else where your talents could be put to better use. Now, we all know that there is a lot he could still do at NDSU. Maybe he doesn't want to. Only he can answer that question.

84grad
03-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I see this situation as having one of two positive outcomes:

1. Dr. Chapman stays and continues his outstanding work for NDSU and all of North Dakota, or

2. If he does leave, he leaves with NDSU being so much stronger than when he arrived. That strength should attract top-notch candidates who want to be part of a vibrant institution.

I would hate to see Dr. Chapman leave, but he would go with NDSU primed for even better things across the whole university.

IowaBison
03-10-2006, 08:51 PM
1) Wyoming will be rolling in money from now to until the end of time due to its wealth of natural resources.

2) NDSU may implode due to the Peoplesoft fiasco.

jackrabbit1979
03-10-2006, 09:28 PM
SDSU President Peggy Miller is retiring at the end of this year as well. A new search is starting at SDSU in April i believe. Looks like both SU's might be on the division 1 road with new president's at the wheel.

MinotBison
03-10-2006, 09:39 PM
1) Wyoming will be rolling in money from now to until the end of time due to its wealth of natural resources.

2) NDSU may implode due to the Peoplesoft fiasco.

For those of us in Rio Linda, what is/was the Peoplesoft fiasco?

sambini
03-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Good luck Joe Chapman.

IowaBison
03-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Peoplesoft is human resource/enterprise software.

A number of institutions of higher education around the country adopted in the last decade based on promises of functionality (as did hundreds of other organizations).

Today, those portions of the software that relate to project management for universities are certified pieces of sh%t.

As reporting is an important (most important) part of research, NDSU is struggling to provide the most basic, required information to those providing funding.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the situation, but have experienced times in work or life when you wondering why God is putting you through an ordeal, in all seriousness, this is what many are going through daily.

Before you go to bed tonight, say a prayer for all those hardworking folks at NDSU (and elsewhere throughout the country) who's life is a veritable hell due to Peoplesoft.

MinotBison
03-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Peoplesoft is human resource/enterprise software.

A number of institutions of higher education around the country adopted in the last decade based on promises of functionality (as did hundreds of other organizations).

Today, those portions of the software that relate to project management for universities are certified pieces of sh%t.

As reporting is an important (most important) part of research, NDSU is struggling to provide the most basic, required information to those providing funding.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the situation, but have experienced times in work or life when you wondering why God is putting you through an ordeal, in all seriousness, this is what many are going through daily.

Before you go to bed tonight, say a prayer for all those hardworking folks at NDSU (and elsewhere throughout the country) who's life is a veritable hell due to Peoplesoft.

I've used Peoplesoft. It could at times be VERY confusing.

IowaBison
03-10-2006, 10:18 PM
The thing to remember is that NDSU and the other universities aren't using the same product as other organizations.

They have special needs for project management and those parts are defunct/non-existent.

BisBison
03-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Good luck Joe Chapman.
+++ but good luck at SU. We gotta keep Joe.

WYOBISONMAN
03-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Right now the State of Wyoming is sitting on top of a $2 billon surplus. Trust me, all in higher ed are paid better than in North Dakota. Also, Wyoming just enacted the Hathaway Scholarship fund that will fund tuition for every Wyoming student with a GPA of 3.5 or better in full.

sambini
03-11-2006, 04:39 AM
What do you think Wyoming? Is Joe the man for that job?

MinotBison
03-11-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't think it is possible to realize the impact this man has had on the University.

sambini
03-11-2006, 01:18 PM
FRONT PAGE OF THE fargo forum THIS MORNING. I sure hope he stays.

buffalobill
03-11-2006, 01:52 PM
To All: This might be more irony than normal in a major news breaking event like this but the Team Mascot for Wyoming is called Cowboy Joe and their ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB IS CALLED THE COWBOY JOE CLUB. That might be hard for him to resist. An inside colleague rates it a toss-up. I will keep you posted.

insane_ponderer
03-11-2006, 03:28 PM
i would guess that even with joe considering this move, there is probably someone quite capable that would be promoted from within.

I don't think joe would leave us "with our pants down" so to speak. if he does take this job i am sure there has been a plan all along.

BisonMav
03-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I've used Peoplesoft. *It could at times be VERY confusing.

We have it in HR at work, and Peoplesoft was purchased by Oracle I think. Word is Peoplesoft is history in 8 years, giving companies time to convert.

somebison
03-12-2006, 04:20 PM
My question is why would the President(Chancellor) of the University of Tennesee apply for the Wyoming job... it would appear to be a step down.

buffalobill
03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I don't believe a chancellor in some systems is always the top person.

DORMIE
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not aware of his home town, but the man from U of Tenn received all 3 of his degrees from the U of Minn. Maybe he wants to get back to a Land Grant institution. Say it isn't so Joe!!

somebison
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't believe a chancellor in some systems is always the top person.

He is the top person at UT

http://www.utk.edu/administration/

The "president" of the UT system is that same as the NDUS Chancelllor

IL_Bison
03-12-2006, 08:48 PM
He is the top person at UT

http://www.utk.edu/administration/

The "president" of the UT system is that same as the NDUS Chancelllor

What I gathered from that link was that he is chancellor of the Knoxville campus. It appears there is an overall president of the Tennessee system. So it seems Dr. Chapman and Dr. Crabtree are in equivalent positions

sambini
03-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Joe needs to stay a bison.

WYOBISONMAN
03-13-2006, 02:03 PM
What do you think Wyoming? Is Joe the man for that job?

I think he will probably get it. Wyoming is looking for a mover and a shaker, and Joe is all of that. :-/

(Sorry about my slow response, but I am in San Antonio....)

tony
03-13-2006, 04:15 PM
At some point NDSU was going to be without President Chapman. I just wish he'd see NDSU through until the DI move is complete (i.e. until we have a conference), but the Wyoming job fits him pretty well.

He's done a great job at NDSU.

ndsubison
03-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I am happy for Joe & his family but I have hopes that he'll stay at SU a little longer to help us on our DI journey. That seems to be the way of the world these days--someone gets things rolling, gets on the fast-track to success and boom-they're off to bigger and better things. Realize that this may happen to coach Bohl someday as well. Maybe even Taylor. Possibly Tim Miles. All we can hope for is that we're better off when they left than when they got here and try to keep the ball rolling.

BisonMav
03-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Joe can open the door to the WAC for the Bison ;)

BisonBacker
03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
That would be a SNEAK WAC ATTACK ;D

Bison_Pride
03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
"Magic 8 ball, will Joe Chapman stay at NDSU?"

YES

There you have it.

imabison
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
"Magic 8 ball, will Joe Chapman stay at NDSU?"

* * * * * YES

There you have it.

I spoke to an instructor who talks to Joe Chapman at least several times a week. He would like to see him stay. He says that he does not think Joe's wife would enjoy Wyoming.

Of course verything we say is hearsay. I hope he stays also.

buffalobill
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Wyoming is in the Mountain West and their AD is Gary Barta former Bison FB player from the mid 80's

BisonMav
03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Wyoming is in the Mountain West and their AD is Gary Barta former Bison FB player from the mid 80's

Ruined a good sneak WAC Attack with facts. ;)

MinotBison
03-13-2006, 09:14 PM
How much extra $$$$$$ would it take to keep him here?

IowaBisonToo
03-13-2006, 09:20 PM
If Dr. Joe feels he's done a significant amount of work at NDSU and accomplished a lot, it may not be a matter of money. Think of it in terms of a CEO. They may or may not get a raise from a company they're being recruited by however, there are new challenges and oportunities at the new company -- things that have already been done in their current company. Same for JC. Maybe he sees something at Wyoming that would challenge him and test his skills. Things he can't do at NDSU. The only person that really knows is Dr. Chapman, himself. Only after he has made a final decision will we find out what the reason was. I would tend to say money is not a major factor in this particular decision.

RedRiver
03-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Dr. Chapman was on local talk show this morning and one of his comments was great: "there is alot of positive things going on at NDSU and I'm looking forward to the first Bison - Gophers football game!!