PDA

View Full Version : Little Blurb in the Star Trib

tony
03-16-2006, 08:20 AM
A story about HS kids going on to college stated that little old North Dakota State is the top out-of-state college choice for MN kids. I hadn't realized that - I thought it might be Wisconsin or Iowa. Kind of cool.

BisonMav
03-16-2006, 12:12 PM
There are always several North Dakota State commercials on the Minnesota State Tourney telecasts.

buffalobill
03-16-2006, 01:58 PM
WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sambini
03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
TO the WAC WAC WAC+++++++++

NanoBison
03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
A story about HS kids going on to college stated that little old North Dakota State is the top out-of-state college choice for MN kids. I hadn't realized that - I thought it might be Wisconsin or Iowa. Kind of cool.

Hey Tony,

Can you post a link to that story, or was it just in the actual "paper" edition of the newspaper?

tony
03-17-2006, 02:05 PM
I didn't include link because it's probably a subscription deal.

However, subscribing is easy and the story is still up.

Here's the linkie:

Strib: For most Minnesota students, school's cool (http://www.startribune.com/1592/story/310246.html)

This bodes well for NDSU becoming the biggest school in ND.

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Could NDSU over take UND?

I think if we were to in the next few years it have to be graduate students living off campus.

Because as far as I know we're maxed out or above capacity as far as dorms go.

IowaBisonToo
03-17-2006, 02:28 PM

I think if we were to in the next few years it have to be graduate students living off campus.

When I was a complex manager over in U. Village, the newest dorm that went up over by the rec center was supposed to be the first of two -- or so I thought. That was why they put ANOTHER gravel parking lot in to the north of where that one now stands. The other thought was it could go to the east of the current dorm. I know they just finished the new Bison Court but I'm not sure how many more spaces that opened up.

In any case, if NDSU wants to become the biggest U in the state, I think Chapman will do it -- or whomever else is in that position if Chapman leaves. It would be an interesting comparison to see what percentage of out-state students comprise the total student population of students at both und and NDSU.

BisonBacker
03-17-2006, 02:40 PM

That my friend is inevitable. Just look at the size of Fargro Moorhead and the surrounding community. The area is growing and so is the university. In contrast Grand Forks population growth is stagnant. As NDSU continues to grow and offer more programs which they are doing it will only be a matter of time.

BisonBacker
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
When I was a complex manager over in U. Village, the newest dorm that went up over by the rec center was supposed to be the first of two -- or so I thought. *That was why they put ANOTHER gravel parking lot in to the north of where that one now stands. *The other thought was it could go to the east of the current dorm. *I know they just finished the new Bison Court but I'm not sure how many more spaces that opened up.

In any case, if NDSU wants to become the biggest U in the state, I think Chapman will do it -- or whomever else is in that position if Chapman leaves. *It would be an interesting comparison to see what percentage of out-state students comprise the total student population of students at both und and NDSU.
We may as well be the biggest, were already the best bar none ;D

IowaBisonToo
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
We may as well be the biggest, were already the best bar none ;D
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paulie
03-17-2006, 03:26 PM
That my friend is inevitable. *Just look at the size of Fargro Moorhead and the surrounding community. *The area is growing and so is the university. *In contrast Grand Forks population growth is stagnant. * As NDSU continues to grow and offer more programs which they are doing it will only be a matter of time. *

The concern would be the demographics of this type of growth. Larger metro area will lead to more of the "commuter" type student. *Large isn't always great, see Cal State Northridge as an example. *30K students but nobody cares. *

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
But NDSU does need more dorms, right?

NanoBison
03-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I think if NDSU was to tear down the University Apartment village complex and build an additional 4 high rises on that plot of land (you can leave the newer building) they would be set for another decade or so in terms of growth.

I would like to see us become the largest University in the State. We have the population, talent and vision to do it.

(Then at that point UND will have NOTHING on us....except of course for their ******* hockey... but I don't care about that...) ;D

IowaBison
03-17-2006, 08:23 PM
NDSU could stand to remodel some of its aging residence halls.

Of course, most upperclassmen now live far off campus.

BisonBacker
03-17-2006, 09:15 PM
The concern would be the demographics of this type of growth. Larger metro area will lead to more of the "commuter" type student. *Large isn't always great, see Cal State Northridge as an example. *30K students but nobody cares. *

Cal-State Northridge and NDSU are worlds apart as far as being a commuter college. Even with the Growth in Fargo you can be from one side of town to the other in 10-15 minutes. Traffic or commuter issues are not a problem for Fargo.

IowaBisonToo
03-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I think if NDSU was to tear down the University Apartment village complex and build an additional 4 high rises on that plot of land (you can leave the newer building) they would be set for another decade or so in terms of growth.
NDSU doesn't need 4 more high rises -- especially over in UV. UV serves a very needed purpose. For married and grad students (usually foreign) who can't afford or choose not to live off campus, UV is a good option. I didn't necessarily like living in UV but it sure saved me and my family money!!

NDSU could put up maybe 1 more hight rise but they need more dorms like the one over by the rec center. These are more of the "living/learning" type of dorms. For those that decide to live in them, I think they are beneficial. One high-rise would serve future incoming freshman for some time to come I believe.

NanoBison
03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
When I said highrises, I should have also added "not like the current dorms". I was thinking more along the lines of apartment style living for married and upperclass students and graduate students.

I was also thinking I would like to see NDSU's student population however around 15,000 eventually. But in order to do that, we need more dorms, more classroom space, more computers, more quality teachers. Not to mention a brand new library couldn't hurt.

IowaBisonToo
03-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Understand. That would make much more sense. In that case, light a match to UV. I'll bring the gas! :D :D ;D

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
What's wrong with the library now?

It's all about computer clusters these days.

Books, what are those?

;)

MinotBison
03-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Cal-State Northridge and NDSU are worlds apart as far as being a commuter college. *Even with the Growth in Fargo you can be from one side of town to the other in 10-15 minutes. *Traffic or commuter issues are not a problem for Fargo.

I used to live in the San Fernando Valley not too far from CSUN, and nobody cares is about right. People would commute there from all over the L.A. area. I can't right off hand recall anything it was known for, academically or otherwise.

That is definitely not the case with NDSU.

Bisonguy
03-17-2006, 10:30 PM
What's wrong with the library now?

It's all about computer clusters these days.

Books, what are those?

;)

We're not going there again, are we? ;D

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 10:40 PM
I used to live in the San Fernando Valley not too far from CSUN, and nobody cares is about right. *People would commute there from all over the L.A. area. *I can't right off hand recall anything it was known for, academically or otherwise.

That is definitely not the case with NDSU.

Encino?

MinotBison
03-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Encino?

I lived in Van Nuys, actually. On Sherman Way between Sepulveda and the 405. I didn't mind the Valley. Only problem was, I worked in El Segundo so the 405 was my home away from home.

MplsBison
03-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I've never been to the valley.

I just know that Reseda and Encino are two cities there.

TheBisonator
03-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I know people really like Churchill Field and all that, but I really think that once they finish the MU construction, some funds should be raised to build a big new beautiful library on the Churchill Field site. The current library is one of the very few things about the NDSU campus that I'm personally embarrassed about (the other two being the one remaining quonset on campus and the BSA). That library is NOT the kind of place that a Division I school should have. It's not even a library for a place like Mayville State. MSU-Moorhead's library is about 1,000 times better than ours. We're North Dakota's flagship university. We deserve better. We need to build a new library, and very SOON. Then all we have to do is go ahead with the BSA renovation and tear down that filthy disgusting quonset south of the engineering buildings, and there will be no more embarrassment.

MplsBison
03-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Heh, I don't think that tin shed will ever come down.

It's tradition.

MinotBison
03-18-2006, 04:38 PM
When was the library last expanded/remodeled? I keep thinking it was something like 20 years ago, maybe more.

Back then, the enrollment wasn't what it is now, so a new/bigger library would certainly be in order.

IowaBison
03-19-2006, 12:21 AM
1) The library is nothing to be 'embarassed' about

2) It does need a major remodel

Our library is not what one should expect from a true research university. However, having been to a number of libraries at universities and cities across the nation, it's not horrible.

MplsBison
03-19-2006, 12:27 AM
How about parking?

Is NDSU ok there? Maybe a ramp in the future?

IowaBison
03-19-2006, 12:38 AM
I can say this as FACT:

NDSU has more than enough parking.

If in twenty years we need more parking, there is more than enough land to build it on.

IF NDSU ever builds a parking lot on campus, I'll die.

scottheck
03-21-2006, 05:27 AM
1) *The library is nothing to be 'embarassed' about

2) It does need a major remodel

Our library is not what one should expect from a true research university. *However, having been to a number of libraries at universities and cities across the nation, it's not horrible.

They just wrapped up a $1M+ remodel.

bisonmike
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
How about parking?

Is NDSU ok there? Maybe a ramp in the future?

I wouldn't state it as fact that there is enough parking at NDSU. If you don't mind walking 8 miles to your car I guess you could say that.

MplsBison
03-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe the pay lot would be a good place for a ramp?

NanoBison
03-21-2006, 07:06 PM
If we did get a parking ramp, I would like to see it go there.

Hammerhead
03-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Or Portland State. It has more students than Oregon or Oregon State and the basketball team plays its games in a glorified high school gym. The football team gets little coverage since the Pac-10 dominates the local sports, but that wouldn't be problem in Fargo.