PDA

View Full Version : Joe......say it ain't so......

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I was just talking to one of my business associates that is quite active in the Wyoming Alumni Association and word on the street is that Joe Chapman is very much the odds on favorite for the Presidency at the University of Wyoming.

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I wonder how much of a pay raise it is?

On to bigger and better things, I suppose.

mikelsch
03-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Only about $35K per year difference according to the Forum.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2006, 06:57 PM
My hope that the powers that be are working hard to sweeten the pot for Joe C. and get him to turn down an offer from WYO. *

tcbison
03-17-2006, 07:03 PM
If it came down to just salary would NDSU counter with a higher salary offer? I hate to see Joe leave at this time. NDSU has been lucky to have him.

cadillac
03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
you got that right+++++

IowaBison
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
My opinion:

1) Build the guy a new house (500k +) on 18th.

2) Complement his publicly funded salary with an annual 50 to 100k privately raised honorarium.

NorthDakotaBison would gladly chip in for both.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2006, 07:25 PM
My opinion:

1) Build the guy a new house (500k +) on 18th.

2) Complement his publicly funded salary with an annual 50 to 100k privately raised honorarium.

NorthDakotaBison would gladly chip in for both.

+++++ The guy is a hell of a leader!

buffalobill
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Much of what you write has and is being discussed at great length. Trust me. In the end Joe will do what he feels is best for his family and that's how it should always be. If he stays, our good fortune, :) and if he leaves the greatest thank you we can provide is find the right person and carry on the good work already in place. :) :) :)

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Much of what you write has and is being discussed at great length. Trust me. In the end Joe will do what he feels is best for his family and that's how it should always be. If he stays, our good fortune, *:) and if he leaves the greatest thank you we can provide is find the right person and carry on the good work already in place. :) :) :)

Plus....he will be the President at WYO when my kid starts in 2007.... ;) *

buffalobill
03-17-2006, 08:15 PM
And we'll kick their butt any sport, any place, any time.

BisonBacker
03-17-2006, 09:07 PM
I was just talking to one of my business associates that is quite active in the Wyoming Alumni Association and word on the street is that Joe Chapman is very much the odds on favorite for the Presidency at the University of Wyoming. *
That's assuming he would take it. He has publicly stated even if it was offered he's not sure he'd take it. He likes Fargo and he said he's got more work that he wants to finish. Not to mention that the pay difference iw only between 25-30K so its not like he's doubling his income. Time will tell but I don't see Wyoming being a big step up, no smack intended.

sambini
03-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Buffalo have you asked Barta about Joe?

buffalobill
03-17-2006, 09:14 PM
E-mail comments only!!!Have to GO

DORMIE
03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
If President Chapman went to Wyoming he could be both the president and the mascot. They'd probably change the mascot. Cowboy Joe might be abusive and hostile. All we have at SU is A Cup Of Joe at the new housing compkex.

NanoBison
03-22-2006, 09:36 AM
There's an interesting article in the USAToday. Kind of rekindles the urge to keep President Chapman here since he is doing a wonderful job.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2006-03-22-college-biz-usat_x.htm

(p.s. those endowment amounts they list, I believe are supposed to be in billions, not millions....yes, some schools have WAY TO MUCH MONEY)

IowaBison
03-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I read that article this morning, also.

It made me think that President Chapman should get out of North Dakota NOW. He has shown that he is capable of doing big things well. Yet, he has to go into a room and have the same and sometimes less of a voice on issues than presidents of Mayville State and Bismarck State College.

mikelsch
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
North Dakota has way too many public universities. Cut a couple of those and that would help with the money problems. Seriously, why do we need 11 public institutions?

MplsBison
03-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I agree.

Look at Wyoming. They only have one!

We have 100k more people and we have 11?

I could even see just having UND and NDSU, as far as four year schools go.

I'd keep the area junior colleges/tech schools.

BisonBacker
03-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't disagree but try selling that to the folks in those smaller towns not to mention the Board of higher ed. Talk about pulling teeth out of an alligator, it would be about the same thing.

MplsBison
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
If we could close one school down, which one would it be?

Mayville?

Valley City?

Bottineau?

Lake Reigon?

BisonBacker
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
How about all of the above.

buffalobill
03-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Minimal savings to the system. Devastating effect on these communities and their regional economies.

mikelsch
03-22-2006, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't call keeping 4 publically-funded institutions open minimal.

BisonBacker
03-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Minimal savings to the system. Devastating effect on these communities and their regional economies.

How do define Minimal?

IowaBison
03-23-2006, 02:51 AM
apparently 60 million dollars a bienium.

if either bottineau or mayville closed do you think folks in Minot, or Fargo or Grand Forks in the case of the latter would care?

Let's play 'make pretend'.

The four schools named above are closed. That would save the average taxpayer about $5000 over the course of their life ($100/year x 50 years)

NanoBison
03-23-2006, 03:30 AM
Thats what I'm thinking as well.

If the people of the top 10 cities in North Dakota (exnay Williston) were allowed to stay open. That would be 300,000 who would be probably voting for it. The other 350,000 are in the smallest of small towns and none of them have anything close to a college so it probably wouldn't affect them too much either.

Just get rid of : (enrollment)

Valley City State (1,035)
Minot State Bottineau (523)
Williston College (947)
Lakes Region (1,471)
Mayville State (912)

That has to at least save us around 40-50 million easily...

insane_ponderer
03-23-2006, 03:40 AM
just out of curiosity nano, are those numbers actual student campus population? because i know with the teaching program at v.c. a lot of it is run through NDSU.

and the same with lake region, when i was in h.s. we were allowed to take some dual credit classes through *gasp* und lake region, and i would assume we were counted in their enrollement...so those numbers you posted might be a bit misleading to the high side...

NanoBison
03-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Well I don't know if they are misleading, they came directly from the North Dakota University System website :

http://www.ndus.edu/reports/details.asp?id=245

p.s. I never said any of the schools were bad, as you may be insinuating with your *gasp*. I just don't think we need 11. Do you?

MplsBison
03-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I'd like to see Valley City's teaching program moved over to NDSU.

insane_ponderer
03-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Well I don't know if they are misleading, they came directly from the North Dakota University System website :

http://www.ndus.edu/reports/details.asp?id=245

p.s. I never said any of the schools were bad, as you may be insinuating with your *gasp*. I just don't think we need 11. Do you?

well i definently wouldn't say that they are "bad" and the gasp was merely for having to admit that i took some classes from a und affiliate.

and no, i don't think we need that many schools, i understand the points being made about the towns dying, but really you can't tell me the only thing keeping mayville alive is the school, same with valley city or williston or lake region...if you pull the school and the town dies, then maybe its time the town should die.

its a sad factthat these towns are dying, but i dont think the answer is to pump money into a subpar secondary school.

NanoBison
03-23-2006, 08:10 PM
[In the voice of Jack Dalton from MacGyver...]

Exactly

NanoBison
03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Just read in the Forum, they are putting together a decent package from the NDSU Development Foundation to hopefully convince him to stay at NDSU for a few more years.

I was starting to get worried there after a few days of not hearing anything from anybody. I new house down the road in the future couldn't hurt either.

roadwarrior
03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
The development foundation would have an EASY time rounding up some bucks for a healthy addition to what Joe receives as salary from the state. It's a no-brainer investment in NDSU.

WYOBISONMAN
03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
The development foundation would have an EASY time rounding up some bucks for a healthy addition to what Joe receives as salary from the state. *It's a no-brainer investment in NDSU.

++++++

NanoBison
03-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Just took a look at the Forum's little poll:

Should NDSU President Joseph Chapman's compensation package be increased to retain him :

Yes : 38.98%
No : 51.92%
Dont Know : 9.1%

I just have to wonder what the hell the people who voted no are thinking? I also have to wonder how many of them are people living here that graduated from UND...

Or is this another issue of people believe that they are paying for this through their taxes...when in fact it is private donations. Just like when they announced the BSA expansion. All I ever heard was "Why the hell do I have to pay for that now?, NDSU should pay for it, not me." ... When in fact is was the case that NDSU had all private donations tagged for the project.

It really irritates the hell out of me, when he has done such an excellent job benefiting NDSU, the City of Fargo, the Red River Valley, and the state of North Dakota, yet we have people like that whom have a vendetta against anything in terms of progress. Especially if it's in terms of a financial reward for being successful.

I'm also sick of the anti-NDSU population in this city. We need to start standing up and telling them, this is BISON town baby, if you don't like, tough noogies. I'd like to see Fargo get as crazy as Nebraska but I know we would never get that much fanatical support. An increase though, certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sure you can live in Fargo and be a diehard Sioux Hockey fan but you can also embrace the states only true Division I school.

Bison_Dan
03-24-2006, 07:16 PM
If you weeded out the und and jealous (he makes more money than me) people out of that poll it would be 90% for.

met1990
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
...yet we have people like that whom have a vendetta against anything in terms of progress....

I thought that summed up about 90% of the state's population. Since when has N.D. been progressive about anything? It's a miracle NDSU actually took that step to D-I. I'm glad they did it so those who were against the move realize there is actually something outside the state's borders.

SDbison
03-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Just took a look at the Forum's little poll:

Should NDSU President Joseph Chapman's compensation package be increased to retain him :

Yes : 38.98%
No : 51.92%
Dont Know : 9.1%

I just have to wonder what the hell the people who voted no are thinking? I also have to wonder how many of them are people living here that graduated from UND...

Or is this another issue of people believe that they are paying for this through their taxes...when in fact it is private donations. Just like when they announced the BSA expansion. All I ever heard was "Why the hell do I have to pay for that now?, NDSU should pay for it, not me." ... When in fact is was the case that NDSU had all private donations tagged for the project.

It really irritates the hell out of me, when he has done such an excellent job benefiting NDSU, the City of Fargo, the Red River Valley, and the state of North Dakota, yet we have people like that whom have a vendetta against anything in terms of progress. Especially if it's in terms of a financial reward for being successful.

I'm also sick of the anti-NDSU population in this city. We need to start standing up and telling them, this is BISON town baby, if you don't like, tough noogies. I'd like to see Fargo get as crazy as Nebraska but I know we would never get that much fanatical support. An increase though, certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sure you can live in Fargo and be a diehard Sioux Hockey fan but you can also embrace the states only true Division I school.
Good observation an comments Nano. I noticed the poll results early this morning when I voted YES and thought WTF! Chapman is a great person and an outstanding university president. The weenies who voted no don't have a clue.

sambini
03-25-2006, 03:35 AM
+++++++++++++

kchats
03-25-2006, 04:30 AM
I voted yes as well. He has done wonders at NDSU and it would be a shame to lose him. I would like to see him stay until NDSU is eligible for the tournaments and in a conference. I would also like to see them make it though the $75 million fundraising campaign.

bisonmike
03-25-2006, 04:44 AM
I voted yes as well. *He has done wonders at NDSU and it would be a shame to lose him. *I would like to see him stay until NDSU is eligible for the tournaments and in a conference. *I would also like to see them make it though the $75 million fundraising campaign.

Agreed. I understand that he is a great leader and may be destined for greater things but I would like to see him stick out the fundraising campaign and the athletic convestion that he began.

IL_Bison
03-27-2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2006/03/26/ui_salaries_increase_as_university_competes_for_to p-level_leaders

Good article offering a little perspective on Chapman's salary as compared to a number of Illinois administrators. I was really suprised to see that many people vote 'no' in the Forum poll. NDSU needs Chapman to stay!

Till
03-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Just got a phone call from one of the Student Senators who was at Joe's rally in the Union this morning. I guess Joe showed up and said that after all of this he's goning to have to go home and make a few phone calls.

That's right, word has it JoeCha is staying in Fargo.

BisonBacker
03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I hope that's true. He is an asset to NDSU, Fargo and the State of ND!

TheBisonator
03-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I was at the rally, just went from it to the IACC (where I am now). Dr. Chapman said that he doesn't think he wants to make a move to Wyoming, and that it looks like he has some phone calls to make (regarding turning down their offer). He said that there's a lot of unfinished business left that he still has to do here. He also said that he was very touched by the show of support at the rally today.

We are very lucky to have this man as president of our university, and I truly believe he is a one-in-a-million kind of leader. I compare his presidency to the mayorship of Glen Murray in Winnipeg from 1998 to 2004. Before either men were in their leadership positions, both NDSU and the City of Winnipeg were stagnant entities with no vision. Both men changed that and created momentum (or "Joementum" in Chapman's case), and started both places onto the right track, and it just accellerated from there.

There were TONS of TV cameras there, and media. It looks like it will be one of the top stories on the local news tonight. It was a HUGE event. There were at least 1,000 people crammed into the Union lobby.

somebison
03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14198240.htm

TheBisonator
03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Jeez, the AP was at the rally?? Holy Damn!! :o

roadwarrior
03-27-2006, 05:56 PM
If I would have been in the area, I definitely would have taken time out to go to the rally.

There have been good presidents in the past, but I highly doubt any of them would have the backing that Joe has. Faculty, staff, and students all think that he is doing a great job for the University.

I hope that he decides to withdraw his name from the Wyoming job and continue to work on the progress that NDSU has been in the past six years.

roadwarrior
03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
"Joementum"

I like this new word :)

TheBisonator
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
I agree, RW. We need him to be here a while and continue the momentum he created 6-7 years ago. There's still a lot of unfinished issues we need to address, such as finding a DI conference for athletics, building a bunch of new academic facilities and the renovation of the BSA, reaching $100 million in the Momentum Campaign, expanding doctorate and graduate programs, etc.

roadwarrior
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
The Herald has a story online but the Forum doesnt???

IowaBison
03-27-2006, 06:08 PM
http://www.ndsu.edu/news/index.php?ID=356&func=publish_article

Bisonguy
03-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Joe is supposedly goinng to be on KFGO 790 AM at 3:45