PDA

View Full Version : Places you might not think of visiting

tony
03-18-2006, 09:50 AM
There are some places in Bison land that a lot of people don't know about but that are definitely worth a visit.

This story in the Fargo Forum (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=120804) made me think of some.

The Slim Buttes are beautiful - heck, when I came back this fall, I made a point to drive there on my 2000 mile Tour D'kota. Of course, I'm prejudiced because my G-G-Grandfolks homesteaded there. Looks like it'd be a great place to mountain bike (if they let you) or hike - eroded buttes, trees (cedars?), and good views.

I like the Cave Hills too (I didn't stop there though). Both places are very close to Bowman, just over the border in SD.

Any other places you think folks should visit in Bison land (SD, MN, ND, Manitoba, Eastern Montana, NE Wyoming)?

TheBisonator
03-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Grand Beach on Lake Winnipeg just north of Winnipeg. One of the best beaches on the continent, IMO.

Of course, just to be sure, you should only go there in the summer. ;)

Hammerhead
03-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Grand Beach is awesome. We camped up there for a week when I was a kid. My sisters really enjoyed it since we were there at the same time as the international Boy Scout Jamboree. ::)

It was even voted one of the top beaches in the world by Playboy Magazine, according to the Provicial Park Website.

sambini
03-26-2006, 05:01 AM
DETROIT LAKES,MN PUBLIC BEACH one of the top ten places on the 4th. of July to pick up women...

WYOBISONMAN
03-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Wyoming has a ton of out of the way places to visit that don't get overrun with tourists (i.e. Yellowstone). One of my favorites is a place called Granite Hot Springs. It is south of Jackson in the Hoback Canyon area. the hot spring has a swimming pool that dates from the CCC days. There is a campground close by, and the view from the pool is simply stunning! You do have to take some gravel roads to get into this area.....

Here is a picture......

http://www.visitsublettecounty.com/photogallery/GrosVentreMountains/scr-granitepool.JPG

RodentiaX
03-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Pipestone National Monument is very nice. I want to go to the Blue Mounts and the Jeffords Petroglyphs, but I haven't had a chance to yet.

The Rydell National Wildlife Refuge just outside of Erksine, MN is nice. I've driven by so many times, and I decided to stop in once. It was a lot cooler than I had expected. It has some decent trails. Worth the visit if you are passing through and have a little bit of time on your drive.

In Minneapolis, right next to Minnehaha falls, there is the Stevens House. It's the first house built in Minneapolis. A tour only costs $2, so it's a good stop if you are going to the falls, you walk right by it to reach the falls.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-27-2006, 07:29 PM
DETROIT LAKES,MN PUBLIC BEACH *one of the top ten places on the 4th. of July to pick up women...

Chicks dig Sambini---because he seldom wears underwear,..............and when he does they are very unique...........................

NanoBison
03-27-2006, 07:31 PM
On my way out to Chicago for spring-break, there were a few stops along the road we woulnd't have minded stopping at. There were quite a few homes designed and done by Frank Lloyd Wright. Admission I think was around $2-$5 dollars. It's always interesting to see work like that. Quite a few of those around the Chicago area.

Hammerhead
03-30-2006, 05:05 AM
The Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg isn't too bad either. We went there during the middle of winter and just about had the entire place to ourselves.

sambini
03-30-2006, 07:08 PM
BULLY PULPIT,HAWKTREE, AND RED MIKE THE LINKS OF NORTH DAKOTA.

IowaBisonToo
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Bully Pulpit ++++++++++++++++++++ Played there like three weeks after it opened. Loved it!!! Saw it was one of the top 10 (??) new public courses in the US in Golf Digest. While there, we took pictures of the course. Funny to see those same vistas in Golf Digest. Would love to play that again this summer.

That whole area is pretty cool. Go down to the Little Missouri area in the SW part of the state (around Rhame/Marmouth). Do some dinosaur fossil hunting while down there, too.