PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Fargo

DIBISON
04-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Microsoft Fargo announced a major expansion and the immediate hiring to fill 100 new positions at their Fargo campus. More new jobs and the need for more office buildings at the Fargo campus may also be announced in the future. The EDC people commented that the new jobs are paying in the 50000-100000 range. More good news for the City of Fargo!!

NanoBison
04-07-2006, 12:53 AM
As much as people are split on their opinion on Microsoft, I hope they continue to grow and expand in the region as well. Glad to hear the salaries will be that high. It will force other similar businesses in the region to start moving up in the pay scales.

Till
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah, that pay sounds pretty good. Really not sure how they're going to fit another 100 people on campus though.

I'm not going even going to get into what I make as a vendor doing the exact same job out there though.....

roadwarrior
04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
In the interview with Doug Burgum in the Forum recently, he mentioned that they already have people working off the Microsoft campus, in a building somewhere on 45th st.

IowaBison
04-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Don Morton mentioned that at least one if not two more buildings are in the works at the Microsoft Campus.

Herd_Mentality
04-07-2006, 05:43 PM
In the interview with Doug Burgum in the Forum recently, he mentioned that they already have people working off the Microsoft campus, in a building somewhere on 45th st.

Correct, in the 45th Ave Business Center where Driverz used to be. *In fact they've had quite a few people there for quite a few years now. I don't want those 100 out here...we have a big enough parking issue at that building already!

Bison_Dan
04-07-2006, 07:29 PM

Correct, in the 45th Ave Business Center where Driverz used to be. *In fact they've had quite a few people there for quite a few years now. I don't want those 100 out here...we have a big enough parking issue at that building already!

I would think if Microsoft starts to build out at the campus that it would be a good sign for continued growth for them in Fargo. 8-)

broke_back_mnt
04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Imagine, it all started writing software for the old Apple II. *Now its a huge force in the Fargo economy. *This is nothing but good news.

MplsBison
04-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I wonder if Apple will continue to write the Apple OS?

They recently made a switch to Intel for their PC CPUs. Perhaps they'll load SUSE Linux or something to that effect instead?

broke_back_mnt
04-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I dont think they will stop with their operating system, but I guess thats a possiblity now. But thats the nicest thing about them, besides the good equipment and support.

Bisonguy
04-10-2006, 12:44 AM

They recently made a switch to Intel for their PC CPUs. Perhaps they'll load SUSE Linux or something to that effect instead?

Apple continued to write their own OS when they changed chipsets before, why would they change writing their own UNIX-based OS now?

tophatfan
04-10-2006, 03:22 AM
Apple is going to stick with their OS, but they recently announced that they are going to offer a new program that will allow users to run windows on the new intel based MACs.

broke_back_mnt
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Its called bootcamp. It runs on their new Intel machines. Its a free download from Apple and will be part of the new OSX updates due out later this year. You can run windows or OSX. You cant run them both at the same time. If you want to switch you have to restart.

MplsBison
04-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Apple continued to write their own OS when they changed chipsets before, why would they change writing their own UNIX-based OS now?

Save costs?

Why spend all the money when you can load a free (and superior?) OS on your machines?

Bisonguy
04-10-2006, 07:46 PM

Save costs?

Why spend all the money when you can load a free (and superior?) OS on your machines?

So they don't lose quality control and can config the OS to work under their hardware?

MplsBison
04-11-2006, 12:21 AM
From that post I take it you've never used Linux.

Bisonguy
04-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Yes, I have, and OS X has 90% of the *nix functionality with a much more polished GUI, full multimedia capability, and retains all hardware functions of the computer (i.e. bluetooth and wireless) .

One of the biggest reasons why people buy Macs is because of the OS. Maybe Apple will someday do something along the lines of when they bought out NeXT and created OS X with one of the Linux companies.

With that, I'm ending this off-topic discussion. You obviously like Linux (along with a lot of others), and I prefer OS X(along with a lot of others).

roper
04-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Not to get back to the original topic, but the Microsoft Campus has room for 3 more buildings or similar size. That would be quite a site on the prairie.

MplsBison
04-11-2006, 04:37 PM
If you don't want to respond to this, that's fine.

But to say that OS X has a more polished GUI than either GNOME or KDE is laughable.

NanoBison
04-12-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm getting the feeling, we might have to start a Linux/Mac/PC smack talk topic pretty soon....

Started on jobs, now into better GUI's. Funny.

(I agree Gnome is Nice).