PDA

View Full Version : Ugly smear campaign

NanoBison
04-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Anybody else read this crap in the Forum today?

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=124284&section=news

All I got out of it was the feelings of an ugly smear campaign against Chancellor Potts and President Chapman.

Holmberg said his response to the news was a warning that some in the higher education community will claim forcing out Potts is a “quid pro quo” to keep North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman at NDSU.

Anybody else got something on this story with the "anonymous" sources?

Anybody else like the timing of the article. The day after we comfortably have Chapman at NDSU, Miles says he's staying on, and MidCon has an opening coming up with Chicago State leaving....it smells real foul to me. Real fishy....

tony
04-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Hehehe, you might want to consider toning down the rhetoric, Nano.

I gotta admit, for the life of me, I can't figure out what is Rep. Holmberg is playing at. He's worried that people might think that Chapman stayed on the condition that Potts get forced out? Wow, way to nip that in the bud! *.... hmm... I mean, er, .... heck, what is the exact opposite of nipping something in the bud? Whatever that is, he really did it well. Bravo! Douse that fire with gasoline (before it starts) and then toss a match on it! :)

Oh well, I'm pretty sure that if there's chicanery afoot, the Herald will be all over it (helping out rather than exposing it, of course). :)

IMO, board members should not be anonymous sources. Open government. Open meetings. Otherwise, mouths shut.

NanoBison
04-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Agree with you 100% on that. Isn't that why we have "open meeting" laws......?

Anyways, I thought rubish of the whole thing... Can't wait to see what the Herald prints......

WYOBISONMAN
04-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Interesting......my thoughts would be if anyone is upset with him it would be the UND crowd after he told Kuppy to knock of the Fargo thing....but, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. If memory serves me right, I think personnel issues are not subject to the open meeting/open record laws so we may really never get a clear picture.

tony
04-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Interesting......my thoughts would be if anyone is upset with him it would be the UND crowd after he told Kuppy to knock of the Fargo thing....but, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. *If memory serves me right, I think personnel issues are not subject to the open meeting/open record laws so we may really never get a clear picture.

Um, there was a strong implication in that story that parts of the board were meeting off the record and discussing the issue. They can't be doing that. I guess some of them didn't learn their lesson from getting caught lying over the whole Engelstad letter deal.

WYOBISONMAN
04-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Interesting......my thoughts would be if anyone is upset with him it would be the UND crowd after he told Kuppy to knock of the Fargo thing....but, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. *If memory serves me right, I think personnel issues are not subject to the open meeting/open record laws so we may really never get a clear picture.

Um, there was a strong implication in that story that parts of the board were meeting off the record and discussing the issue. They can't be doing that. I guess some of them didn't learn their lesson from getting caught lying over the whole Engelstad letter deal.

I forgot about that Englestadt letter deal.....and I agree that this whole darn thing is being handled real poorly by the Board and Holmberg is way out of line.....

bisonaudit
04-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Was there a board member not mentioned by name in the story? I don't know how may sit on the board but there were sourced comments from what seamed like a half a dozen board members. Who's left over?

tony
04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, being a named source doesn't mean anything. It could be a case of a reporter letting somebody get away with having it both ways (i.e. having part of their comments on the record and part off). In fact, that has to be what happened because all nine members of the board are quoted:

Named Board Members with comments: Kunkel, Clayburgh, Kostelecky*, Andrews, Christianson*, Smith*.
Named Board Members who said "No comment": Paulsen
Faculty rep: Pederson* (but no vote)
Student rep: Olson*

Hehe, interesting. All nine folks are quoted in the interview. The ones with asterisks by their names seemed to have no idea what the Forum reporter was talking about and seemed pretty happy with Potts to boot. Now, the faculty member doesn't get a vote so if five votes are need to get rid of Potts and four voters seemed to indicate fairly strong support for Potts, then it seems that Holmberg and his board member source were mistaken.

Bison_Dan
04-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, being a named source doesn't mean anything. It could be a case of a reporter letting somebody get away with having it both ways (i.e. having part of their comments on the record and part off). In fact, that has to be what happened because all nine members of the board are quoted:

Named Board Members with comments: Kunkel, Clayburgh, Kostelecky*, Andrews, Christianson*, Smith*.
Named Board Members who said "No comment": Paulsen
Faculty rep: Pederson* (but no vote)
Student rep: Olson*

Hehe, interesting. All nine folks are quoted in the interview. The ones with asterisks by their names seemed to have no idea what the Forum reporter was talking about and seemed pretty happy with Potts to boot. Now, the faculty member doesn't get a vote so if five votes are need to get rid of Potts and four voters seemed to indicate fairly strong support for Potts, then it seems that Holmberg and his board member source were mistaken.

It isn't too hard to figure out who the board member source is - Holmberg and clayburgh are joined at the hip. I still think this is fall out over the embarrassment of und getting kicked out of Fargo.

NanoBison
04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Even though, they got kicked out of Fargo, they are back again offering Engineering Programs that NDSU already offers.
Just exactly what is going on behind closed doors in or out of their meetings....

Do these nine people represent the cities which have schools or is it a 'anyone may run and you are voted into office' setup?
If it were the later, I would find it very ironic that we had board members who represent an area with no school, but still have
a voice in the operations of the entire University System.

That to me just doesn't seem right.

dakotadan
04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
From www.ndus.edu

State Board of Higher Education

The eight-member State Board of Higher Education is the policy-setting body for the North Dakota University System. The board includes seven citizen members appointed by the governor who serve four-year terms and one student appointed by the governor for a one-year term. A non-voting faculty advisor is selected by the Council of College Faculties.

NanoBison
04-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the info dan!

NanoBison
04-22-2006, 07:48 AM
I knew this was just a G.F. representative spouting his mouth off to start trouble :

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=124461&section=News