PDA

View Full Version : The Campus in General ... Looking Forward ...

NanoBison
03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I figured I'd start this thread since we were talking about the campus in another thread a little bit. I'd like to hear what people would like to see happen on/near the campus in the next 5-10 years.

I'd like to see the student body grow to 15,000 students. I'd like to see the Engineering and Architecture complex get some major work, maybe tie in with Computer Science department so we have a Computer Science / Electrical Engineering Building. A new library wouldn't hurt either.

The area around the edges of campus could use some work too. Some of the houses that border the campus are absolutely dumps. Anyways, I've got hundreds of other "dreams/visions" for the campus, but I was wondering what other people thought....

BisonBacker
03-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I would agree that some of the houses bordering NDSU to the east on University are in differing degrees of needing repair to say the least. But I'm not sure that would be the direction I would go or concern myself with for NDSU. I think that first off the Presidents house needs either updating or better yet replacement, it is time to take it to the next step whether it be for Joe or the next president. As far as the rest of the campus I think its clear that the area of growth is to the west and Northwest for now. You have no where to go south or east.

sambini
03-18-2006, 03:18 AM
The Presidents house needs to be replaced.

DIBISON
03-18-2006, 05:20 AM
The Presidents house needs to be replaced.

Or remodeled and expanded. It's a disgrace. Why doesn't the NDSU Development Foundation get involved and get something done, so the use of state taxes isn't an issue. The President's house shouldn't be an eyesore especially at a DI institution.

tony
03-18-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't know if it matters whether NDSU is DI or not but the President definitely needs a better place that is better suited for entertaining.

TheBisonator
03-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't know about you, but I just can't wait for the Memorial Union expansion to be completed. A new food court, expanded Varsity Mart, new Grand Ballroom, more space for student government, new coffee shop, new convenience store, etc. That place will be a true DI university facility when it's finished.

Also, did anyone else notice that they're constructing new brick/iron gates in front of the new Bison Courts?? That'll be very pleasing to the eye of motorists passing by the campus on University. We're going real DI-class act all the way.

TheBisonator
03-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Think about all the stuff that has been built, is being built and will be built in the period of one year ago to one year from now:

1) Bison Court apartment complex - COMPLETED

2) Candlewood Inn and Suites hotel - ALMOST COMPLETED

3) Fargodome NDSU Football locker rooms/offices - In progress

4) Memorial Union renovation/expansion - In progress

5) Alien Technologies building at Research Park - In progress

6) Bobcat/Ingersoll Rand Research Park building - Starting soon

7) Wellness Center expansion - Starting later this year

8) New hazardous waste storage facility - Starting later this year

9) Bison Sports Arena Renovation - Starting later this year/2007?

10) New Business Administration building - Starting later this year/2007?

Can UND even say they have HALF this stuff going on?? Do they even have ANY construction going on?? This is probably the most unprecedented building boom in NDSU's history. We are COMPLETELY distancing ourselves from them, and it will only get better in the future.

Damn it feels good to be a Bison...

Flintstone
03-18-2006, 03:59 PM
UND has the new parking ramp (previously discussed on another thread). Other than that, I haven't seen or heard of a whole lot.

Siouxpreme
03-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Can UND even say they have HALF this stuff going on?? Do they even have ANY construction going on?? This is probably the most unprecedented building boom in NDSU's history. We are COMPLETELY distancing ourselves from them, and it will only get better in the future.

Damn it feels good to be a Bison...

If you hadn't made jabs at UND, this wouldn't be posted.

Completed since 2004 at UND

Neurocience addition - $5 mill
Energy Center addition - $8 mill
Union redone - $1.2 mill
The “Betty” - $8 mill
Ina Made Rude Center for Innovation - $3 mill
Mini Mall, Bank, gas station, Suite ‘49’ at Ralph - $7 mill
Townhomes at Ralph - $4 mill
Indian Center - $1 mill
Dakota bookstore, urban apartments on 42nd - $4 mill

In construction, nearing construction:

UND Wellness Center - $19 mill
REACT I biolab - $ 6 mill
New high-security research park – ALION, biolad, UAV partners (Raytheon)- $10 - $20 mill
New Student housing west of Chester Fritz Auditorium- $20 mill
Psychology / speech research building – near nursing college - $4
Parking Garage - $19 mill
New Mini Mall new the Ralph - $ 2 mill
More townhouses near the Ralph – west side of coulee - $5 mill
Hydrogen Lab - $2 million
Research building at Aerospace tech park - $6 mill
Canad Inns / water park - $50 million

Planned:

Indoor track - $10 million
Other athletic upgrades - $25 mill
Hotel at the Ralph - $ 7 million
New urbanism development at the Ralph - $10 million
Health program building - $ 8 million
New building for Business College – entrepreneurial development - $21 mill
UND/NASA facilities - TBD
Indian museum / expanded student center -$5 mill

lakesbison
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
MY GOD>. .lets just THROW money out in the streets...... what a waste of money.. when UND/Grand Forks area is losing enrollment... losing population....... and the sports dept.. SUCKS and stayin in Div 2.. makes it a MUCH less attractable place to be at..

My brother and kids like him that are good in HS football....TRY and get to Minnesota, BIG TEN, NDSU and other various division 1's.... then if they don't get he scholarship there... they realize they aint BIG TIME... so they goto ST JOHNS, CONCORDIA, ST THOMAS.. so they have a successful time and future career's intact....

They don't even look at DIV 2 anymore.. cept for the kids that arent that bright.. low ACT's, low income.. etc..

TheBisonator
03-18-2006, 06:35 PM
If you hadn't made jabs at UND, this wouldn't be posted.

Neurocience addition - $5 mill
Energy Center addition - $8 mill
Union redone - $1.2 mill
The “Betty” - $8 mill
Ina Made Rude Center for Innovation - $3 mill
Mini Mall, Bank, gas station, Suite ‘49’ at Ralph - $7 mill
Townhomes at Ralph - $4 mill
Indian Center - $1 mill
Dakota bookstore, urban apartments on 42nd - $4 mill

UND Wellness Center - $19 mill
REACT I *biolab - $ 6 mill
New high-security research park – ALION, biolad, UAV partners (Raytheon)- *$10 - $20 mill
New Student housing west of Chester Fritz Auditorium- $20 mill
Psychology / speech research building – near nursing college - $4
Parking Garage - $19 mill
New Mini Mall new the Ralph - $ 2 mill
More townhouses near the Ralph – west side of coulee - $5 mill
Hydrogen Lab - $2 million
Research building at Aerospace tech park - *$6 mill
Canad Inns / water park - $50 million

Planned:

Indoor track - $10 million
Other athletic upgrades - $25 mill
Hotel at the Ralph - $ 7 million
New urbanism development at the Ralph - $10 million
Health program building - $ 8 million
New building for Business College – entrepreneurial development - $21 mill
UND/NASA facilities - TBD
Indian museum / expanded student center -$5 mill

I'm talking strictly about ON-CAMPUS, suepreme. More than half those things are just in the surrounding town. How many of those things are actually ON the und campus?? Hell, you threw in the Canad Inns waterpark in there for no apparent reason.

Siouxpreme
03-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm talking strictly about ON-CAMPUS, suepreme. More than half those things are just in the surrounding town. How many of those things are actually ON the und campus?? Hell, you threw in the Canad Inns waterpark in there for no apparent reason.

Satisfied? :

Neurocience addition - $5 mill - on campus
Energy Center addition - $8 mill - on campus
Union redone - $1.2 mill - on campus
The “Betty” - $8 mill - on campus
Ina Made Rude Center for Innovation - $3 mill - on campus
Mini Mall, Bank, gas station, Suite ‘49’ at Ralph - $7 mill - technically on campus (UND owns the land and receives rent)
Townhomes at Ralph - $4 mill - on campus (UND owns the land)
Indian Center - $1 mill - on campus
Dakota bookstore, urban apartments on 42nd - $4 mill - across street from campus -provides alternative textbook bookstore

UND Wellness Center - $19 mill - on campus
REACT I biolab - $ 6 mill - at new UND research park
New high-security research park – ALION, biolad, UAV - partners (Raytheon)- $10 - $20 mill - new UND research park
New Student housing west of Chester Fritz Auditorium- $20 mill - on campus
Psychology / speech research building – near nursing college - $4 - on campus
Parking Garage - $19 mill - on campus
New Mini Mall new the Ralph - $ 2 mill - on campus
More townhouses near the Ralph – west side of coulee - $5 mill - on campus (UND owns land)
Hydrogen Lab - $2 million - on campus
Research building at Aerospace tech park - $6 mill - on campus
Canad Inns / water park - $50 million - off-campus but relevant since UND plays football at the Alerus

Planned:

Indoor track - $10 million - on campus
Other athletic upgrades - $25 mill - on campus
Hotel at the Ralph - $ 7 million - on campus
New urbanism development at the Ralph - $10 million - on campus
Health program building - $ 8 million - on campus
New building for Business College – entrepreneurial development - $21 mill - on campus
UND/NASA facilities - TBD - at GF airport or GFAFB
Indian museum / expanded student center -$5 mill - likely on campus

bowar9
03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Still.....Nobody wants to go there. I always dreaded having to take a trip up to GF.

SUCB#27
03-18-2006, 08:37 PM
w/o canadd that's 218.2 Million Dollars. Seems like a bit much.

NDSU_grad
03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
J*&% Chr*%&, take this f*&%g crap to the UND smack board. It's hard enough reading these idiot posts (both sides) on the smack board, but then you got to deal with the stupid sh*& here too. I apologize for the language Tony, but I'm getting fed up with it.

BisBison
03-18-2006, 11:23 PM
I agree NDSU_grad, but we brought this crap on ourselves this time. Someone couldn't resist the temptation to compare all the good things going on at SU with his perception of what may or may not be going on up north. Of course this brings the usual counter-arguements from our friends. The solution for this is to ignore them totally and keep our discussions focused on the Bison and NDSU in general. We don't need to compare with und to feel good about ourselves.

mikelsch
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
The problem is that no one (NDSU fans) can seem to post anything without some type of anti-sioux remark thrown in. Stop posting that crap and we won't have to listen to their crap in response. More than 50% of the time, we are responsible for sioux-related-crap cluttering up our board...cripes!

OrygunBison
03-19-2006, 12:18 AM
I agree.

roadwarrior
03-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I agree.

Especially when the crap thrown results in foot in mouth as happened in this thread.

DIBISON
03-19-2006, 04:35 AM
It goes both ways, but I wonder what the h--- are those from up north doing on this board anyway, most don't offer anything productive.

NanoBison
03-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Good grief did my thread go to the crapper. Thanks guys. Let me try to get it back on track...

Anyways, I do agree the President needs a larger house. The current one is an embarrasment. But if you replace/remodel the current one, you still have The Turf across the street from the front yard. Maybe it should be moved somewhere else on campus?

A new library would definitely be on my list of things that the campus needs. One idea I always had was to tear down that terrible Sheppards Arena and just build a 4-5 story library there in that spot. That should be more than enough room. It would also then be centrally located and not on the southern edge of the campus.

The other thing is the campus technically doesn't have that much more room to expand. Many people seem to think that we can expand westward, but that isn't so. The airport runway prohibits any buildings of a certain height to be built there (west of current edge of campus).

BisonBacker
03-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Anyways, I do agree the President needs a larger house. The current one is an embarrasment. But if you replace/remodel the current one, you still have The Turf across the street from the front yard. Maybe it should be moved somewhere else on campus?

I would agree that it definetly needs to be completely replaced. *But if not at the current location then where would you put it?

A new library would definitely be on my list of things that the campus needs. One idea I always had was to tear down that terrible Sheppards Arena and just build a 4-5 story library there in that spot. That should be more than enough room. It would also then be centrally located and not on the southern edge of the campus.

What's wrong with the Southern end of the campus?

The other thing is the campus technically doesn't have that much more room to expand. Many people seem to think that we can expand westward, but that isn't so. The airport runway prohibits any buildings of a certain height to be built there (west of current edge of campus)

It would take one heck of a investment to buyout existing properties on the east or South ends of the campus. Growth to the west is somewhat limited when your talking height but what buildings would need to be that high anyway. Without the height restrictions I think there is enough room for now to grow to the West.

roadwarrior
03-20-2006, 04:28 AM
In the Forum a couple of days ago was a story that NDSU's priority for funding from the state was $8M to renovate Minard and $8M to renovate Ceres. My question is, when was the last time the state paid for a major campus construction project? Maybe the Minard addition a few years ago?

I would think if Chapman thought a new home for the president was high enough on the priority list, the Development Foundation would make it happen. Wasnt there a project to remodel part of the presidents house a couple of years ago?

NanoBison
03-20-2006, 08:09 AM
I think Chapman is too humble of a person to demand a better house with his own words. (But the possibility of losing him sure did the trick....more power to him).

The last thing I remember being done to the presidents house was deck work and adding handicap accessibilities, like on the deck and entry ways. I could be mistaken though.

In terms of building height that was brought up, I know for a fact the new College of Business building is supposed to be 5 stories. That's starting to push it once you get closer to aircraft approach paths. I know the research park is kind of limited in building becuase of it's proximity to the airport runways as well.

Finally I'm not too sure of anyone that would want to work or goto school in a building that sits in front of a major runway with 40+ flights going over it a day. Especially after that small turboprop plan landed in someone's front yard...

In terms of the library and what's wrong with the southern end of campus? I believe a vast majority of the students that live on campus live towards the northern end of the campus. The High-Rises, LLC, Johnson, Reed, Weible, Stockbridge, BisonCourt, UV, etc... I just think it would be better if it was centrally located. Plus, it needs to be replaced. It went through a major flood and is very old. Minot State has a library that is much nicer than what we have down here. It's almost embarassing.

NanoBison
03-20-2006, 08:13 AM
In the Forum a couple of days ago was a story that NDSU's priority for funding from the state was $8M to renovate Minard and $8M to renovate Ceres. My question is, when was the last time the state paid for a major campus construction project? Maybe the Minard addition a few years ago?

I would think if Chapman thought a new home for the president was high enough on the priority list, the Development Foundation would make it happen. Wasnt there a project to remodel part of the presidents house a couple of years ago?

Actually it's kind of interesting if you goto Old Main 2nd floor ( business office floor ). They have several displays of campus projects that have been done over the years and are currently being planned. A majority of them say "Private Funding", which is something to be proud of. If the state isn't having to pay for upkeep or new construction on a majority of NDSU's projects, maybe they could funnel the money to groups that need it, teaching, technology, scholarships, etc....

imabison
03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
In the Forum a couple of days ago was a story that NDSU's priority for funding from the state was $8M to renovate Minard and $8M to renovate Ceres. *My question is, when was the last time the state paid for a major campus construction project? *Maybe the Minard addition a few years ago?

I would think if Chapman thought a new home for the president was high enough on the priority list, the Development Foundation would make it happen. *Wasnt there a project to remodel part of the presidents house a couple of years ago? *

Keep this in mind, and I think I am correct. ALL projects at NDSU need to get State Approval whether they are being paid for by the State of not. The BSA just went through the process.

mikelsch
03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Your statement is true...all must be approved since it is state land. Also, all projects must have the funding in place before building - borrowing money isn't allowed.

tony
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Wasnt there a project to remodel part of the presidents house a couple of years ago? *

I don't remember the details, but I sure remember Ed Schultz making a stink about remodeling/fixing the deck on the place - this was pre-Chapman though.

BisonBryce
03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
UND has the new parking ramp (previously discussed on another thread). Other than that, I haven't seen or heard of a whole lot.

UND had a lot of modifications a few years ago.

Ralph Englestad Arena comes to mind with a new large bookstore. New med school building. New housing project by REA. They have done their fair share of updates. Granted Ralph has paid most of the bill.

BisonBryce
03-20-2006, 06:48 PM
I like all of the new changes going on. We really needed a good union. I think that is something that is one of the main attractions for incoming students.

The new health center was also a very nice upgrade.

The one change I have issues with is the BSA. Are there any photos or architectural models of what the new BSA remodel will look like? It is hard to envision right now with the current status.

NanoBison
03-20-2006, 08:01 PM
From what I've heard, they are just starting the process of hiring an architectual firm. We should know a bit after that, what the BSA update will truely look like.

mikelsch
05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Update on building projects at NDSU

Bison Sports Arena addition/renovation architect selection process is underway. *A firm will be selected in early June with programming and schematic design taking place during the summer/early fall. *The ground breaking for the addition is anticipated for spring 2007.

Wellness Center Addition continues with the pouring of foundations and footers with steel erection starting in early July. *The addition is slated for a fall 2007 opening.

Memorial Union Addition/Renovation is progressing as scheduled. *The focus this summer will be the construction in the lower level for the food court and contract dining. *The goal is to have this area functioning by the beginning of fall semester, so the contractors will be devoting most of their resources to this area. *They are still anticipating the project to be complete in fall 2007.

Center for Technology Enterprise (aka Incubator Building) is progressing in the Research and Technology Park. *The completion date for this project is January 2007.

Alien Technologies facility opened early May with landscaping to follow. *A dedication will be announced in the near future. *Candlewood Suites opened their doors April 11th. *There is still some exterior and landscape work that needs to be completed, but the hotel is open for business. *NDSU continues to outfit their portion of the building with full activity planned for the fall semester.

Other 2006 summer projects: Steam line installation from Harris Hall to Thorson Maintenance Center. *West Dining Center will require some foundation water-proofing on the north side of the building. *Stockbridge and University Village B building will have new roofs installed.

Summer 2007 - Visitor Parking lot will see a total rehabilitation. *Also, closure and replacement of 17th
Ave from University Drive to Albrecht Blvd. *This work will include new infrastructure, sidewalks, lighting and entrance to the north side of the BSA. *This project will have a major impact on access to BSA and the FargoDome. *The city will be managing the project.

2008 - ND DOT 12th Ave N project. *This project will have a major impact on campus.

NanoBison
05-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Update on building projects at NDSU....

2008 - ND DOT 12th Ave N project. This project will have a major impact on campus.

I can hardly wait for the traffic jams when they start work on that one. Its a needed evil (road construction that is...) 12th needs it badly. 5 Lane that road and it should be ready for the next couple of years. I just hope they also 4 lane the overpass bridge. I've seen plenty of accidents from the traffic load.

MplsBison
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Even if you could 5 lane 12th from the bridge to University (is that the plan?), the bridge itself will never go beyond the 2 lanes.

That's a bummer because 12th west of the bridge is already 5 lanes.

roadwarrior
05-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Even if you could 5 lane 12th from the bridge to University (is that the plan?), the bridge itself will never go beyond the 2 lanes.

All they need to do is add a lane on either side to make it a 5 lane bridge.

NebraskaBISON
05-16-2006, 02:21 AM

That's a bummer because 12th west of the bridge is already 5 lanes.

I saw you in a different thread saying that taking the Fargodome big concrete beams would be a piece of cake. Expaning a little bridge should definitely be possible in your eyes then.

NanoBison
05-16-2006, 03:38 AM
From what I heard, they are going to build another bridge right next to it to the north. Not sure though, I would imagine though, it wouldn't be difficult to add a single line to each side of the bridge. If they do add lanes, I sure hope they resurface it or grind it down so it's a smoother ride. BTW, what the hell is that excuse of a tar patch job on the eastern approach of the bridge when heading west? Is it me, or did it get bigger and worse?

MplsBison
05-16-2006, 10:46 PM
I saw you in a different thread saying that taking the Fargodome big concrete beams would be a piece of cake. Expaning a little bridge should definitely be possible in your eyes then.

Possible and cost are two different issues.