PDA

View Full Version : Tuition reciprocity

roadwarrior
05-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Starting a new thread here to continue discussion of this topic.

I will admit that I was incorrect stating that no checks go between the states. Here is a list of payments the State of Minnesota made:

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=817

roadwarrior
05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Fall 2004 enrollment crossing MN/ND border:

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1403

roadwarrior
05-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Historical chart:

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=814

roadwarrior
05-29-2006, 06:48 PM
For the past three school years, no money has changed hands between MN and ND.

Scooter
05-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the info. *

This is off topic, but interresting...

Looking at these stats, it appears that the big winner in this exchange is the Fargo Moorhead community.

In 2004, *13,548 people recieved reciprocity (MN and ND students combined). *About 7,000 of those student were going to school in Fargo-Moorhead. *That's 7,000 people spending money in the businesses of Fargo, paying sales tax on everything they buy.

tony
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
The big winners in reciprocity are the students and society, not Fargo or anybody else. That's the whole point of reciprocity: Society wins.

For example, North Dakota gets 77% of the sales tax collected in Fargo. North Dakota gets any income tax paid by students and the people who serve them. North Dakota gets a source of educated workers and future tax-paying citizens. No investment that the State of North Dakota makes produces a better return on investment than the dollars they spend on NDSU. NONE.

IowaBison
05-30-2006, 12:57 PM
No investment that the State of North Dakota makes produces a better return on investment than the dollars they spend on NDSU. NONE.

Specifically, you can't beat the 'for every dollar North Dakota spent at NDSU, NDSU brought in $9.60"

Scooter
05-30-2006, 08:12 PM
The big winners in reciprocity are the students and society, not Fargo or anybody else. That's the whole point of reciprocity: Society wins.

For example, North Dakota gets 77% of the sales tax collected in Fargo. North Dakota gets any income tax paid by students and the people who serve them. North Dakota gets a source of educated workers and future tax-paying citizens. No investment that the State of North Dakota makes produces a better return on investment than the dollars they spend on NDSU. NONE.

However, my point still remains that the FM community is a big bennifactor. *And, You make my point. *1.The students spend money. *2. Where? FM businesses *3. Fargo gets 23% of the sales tax dollars spent by these 7000 people. *4. *ND gets a source of educated workers (just where in ND is the largest job growth, or any growth for that matter, FARGO)

Just who do you think Society is? *In this case it just happens to be the FARGO METROPOLITAN AREA. *Sure the students who recieve reciprocity bennifit, *but my post was about the RESIDUAL effects of reciprocity for this community. *I thought that was why this discussion was moved to the COMMUNITY section of this board. *If there were no reciprocity, it doesn't mean that the students wouldn't be going to school, they just may not be attending *out of State as much. *It's a GOOD program but that's not my point.

For example, *Minnesota and North Dakota are about 154,000 square miles together. *If you devided this area up into 1000 squares, that would put each piece at 154 square miles *(a little over 12 miles x 12 miles) *Now let's put OVER HALF of all the ND and MN students recieving reciprocity in ONE SQUARE. *Let's call this square say... Fargo-Moorhead Metro area. *That is exactly what the stats support. * Now, we just put over half the students being helped *in a space *1/1000 of the Total area of the two states.
Now, are you seriously going to tell me that this one area is not going to reap a huge bennifit?

The problem is I'm looking at Apples and you Oranges. *I just don't totaly buy the lock step sociology class kind of answer. *Fargo is bennifitting from this and you know it. *And, I'm glad they are.

MplsBison
05-30-2006, 10:37 PM

You'd be right if...

all those NDSU students found jobs in North Dakota after graduating.

Keeping college grads instate and attracting outstate college grads should be the state's top priority. I doubt it is.

NebraskaBISON
05-30-2006, 10:55 PM

However, my point still remains that the FM community is a big bennifactor. And, You make my point. 1.The students spend money. 2. Where? FM businesses 3. Fargo gets 23% of the sales tax dollars spent by these 7000 people. 4. ND gets a source of educated workers (just where in ND is the largest job growth, or any growth for that matter, FARGO)

Just who do you think Society is? In this case it just happens to be the FARGO METROPOLITAN AREA. Sure the students who recieve reciprocity bennifit, but my post was about the RESIDUAL effects of reciprocity for this community. I thought that was why this discussion was moved to the COMMUNITY section of this board. If there were no reciprocity, it doesn't mean that the students wouldn't be going to school, they just may not be attending out of State as much. It's a GOOD program but that's not my point.

For example, Minnesota and North Dakota are about 154,000 square miles together. If you devided this area up into 1000 squares, that would put each piece at 154 quare miles (a little over 12 miles x 12 miles) Now let's put OVER HALF of all the ND and MN students recieving reciprocity in ONE SQUARE. Let's call this square say... Fargo-Moorhead Metro area. That is exactly what the stats support. Now, we just put over half the students being helped in a space 1/1000 of the Total area of the two states.
Now, are you seriously going to tell me that this one area is not going to reap a huge bennifit.

The problem is I'm looking at Apples and you Oranges. I just don't totaly buy the lock step sociology class kind of answer. Fargo is bennifitting from this and you know it. And, I'm glad they are.

I was told there would be no math.

IowaBison
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM

You'd be right if...

all those NDSU students found jobs in North Dakota after graduating.

Keeping college grads instate and attracting outstate college grads should be the state's top priority. I doubt it is.

something like 6x% of NDSU grads stay in state after graduation (not just North Dakota natives).

MplsBison
05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
I'd love to see a link on that one.

IowaBison
06-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Totally unrelated, but when I was looking it up I found an interesting set of facts.

86% of male ndsu faculty are married (83 nationwide)
only 65% of female ndsu faculty are (65 nationwide)

18.5% of male ndsu faculty have been divorced (22.2%)
while 24.4% of female ndsu faculty have been (26.2%)