PDA

View Full Version : Will the Forum buy the Herald?

broke_back_mnt
03-14-2006, 05:36 PM
The Grand Forks Herald is up for sale. The Fargo Forum should buy them. The Herald hasn't exactly been an accurate or reliable reporter when it comes to NDSU, Und, or the Fargo metro for that matter.

The paper is reported to be profitable but does not return the 11% threshold the new owners want. It would be an excellent addition to the Forums stable of media outlets, solidifying their position as the major media player in this area.

buffalobill
03-14-2006, 05:57 PM
I like the ring Grand Forks Forum!!!!

Bison_Dan
03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
You'd have to fire almost everyone there, because they're all und graduates. *Like I said on the soo board the herald is just an extension of und.

broke_back_mnt
03-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I never go there. I was kicked off yrs ago, 8) but if thats true about the hearold, and I think it has been, it would be perfect for the Forum. They might be able to cool them down a bit and make them productive members of North Dakota? Maybe NDSU should buy it as a profit center and an outlet for our journalism/business majors? Id say the hearold home office would make a great NDSU Grand Forks campus!

buffalobill
03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
They are looking for delivery people at Domino's in Grand Forks!!!

sambini
03-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Also the RED PEPPER.

insane_ponderer
03-14-2006, 11:00 PM
There's news in not so grand forks?

hell, just run the hockey score from the previous night, thats all they really care about.

TheBisonator
03-14-2006, 11:08 PM
There's news in not so grand forks?

hell, just run the hockey score from the previous night, thats all they really care about.

Hell, 95% of that paper is national/world news anyway. It's basically an AP wire paper. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying it lacks local coverage.) Not much GF-related stuff in there, regardless. Probably cause there's nothing going on. ;D

MplsBison
03-15-2006, 02:33 AM
What is there in GF to report on?

Bison08
03-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Hell, 95% of that paper is national/world news anyway. It's basically an AP wire paper. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying it lacks local coverage.)

Actually, there is something wrong with that approach. (Perhaps that's one of the reasons The Grand Forks Herald is shrinking seemingly by the day.)

People can get national and international news from all sorts of places these days -- network news, cable news, radio, magazines, the Internet, etc. Newspapers distinguish themselves by being the leading and, usually, only source of local information. It's their franchise.

There are exceptions -- truly national papers such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today. But nearly every other paper, including a paper as large as the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, is first and foremost concerned with local and regional coverage.

sambini
03-16-2006, 05:00 AM
I hope the FARGO FORUM buys it and combines it with the Forum.

Bisonguy
03-16-2006, 05:03 AM
I hope the FARGO FORUM buys it and combines it with the Forum.

I hope not.

BisonBacker
03-16-2006, 05:04 AM
If they reported on what was going on in GF it wouldn't fill up one page. The the title would be 100% on the mark. A one page paper with one story on it. ;D

met1990
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Looks like it's official. Forum Communications has agreed to purchase the GF Herald and the Duluth newspaper.