Lots of construction activity on campus during the next few years:

2004 - New Bison Court to be finished in 2005

2005 - New Business Building

2005 - Student Union Expansion

2005 - Alien Technology offices and plant

2006 - Wellness Center Expansion

TheBisonator
02-01-2005, 06:30 AM
Any word on that new parking ramp they were planning on building here?? I know that und* is planning to build one.

UND_Herd
02-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't put too much credence into und's parking plans. It has been little more than a pipe dream / punch line for quite a while now. Where that issue is concerned, there's a lot of talk, but I don't think anyone has ever really 'meant' it ($$$,$$$).

IowaBison
02-01-2005, 01:38 PM
They've got permission to bond up to $12 million bucks, so I'd assumed the school is going ahead with it.

What vision! A parking ramp!

What a buy! $19 million (the amount they now want bonding for) for 600 new parking spots (the net number of new spots)!

Anybody good at math, my back of the envelope calculations give me about $32,000 per new parking spot.

At a 5 % return per year that means a student should pay $1600 a year per spot.

UND_Herd
02-01-2005, 11:21 PM
I really hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a discussion about them, but here goes one reply on the issue...

The price tag and how to pay for it is the reason I don't think they'll start any such project. The students there complain all the time about parking - that's fine - everyone does. They complain ad nauseum about the parking nazis, who incidentally ARE the worst and most corrupt I've ever seen in action. This brings in the issue of building a ramp - great, everyone wants one! I remember someone in the planning process saying that, in order to pay for it, they would have to increase parking fees, or sell permits for the ramp alone. I remember how these ideas were not received very cordially ::). That scenario is a fight in the making.

I personally think that all of their problems would be solved by simply increasing the parking fees by 15 - 20 dollars and not building the ramp. Everybody would complain for the first year or two, but the whining should stop in time. Fewer people would then buy permits and the lots get unclogged - problem solved.

On a more relevant note, I'm wondering how the new BSA will look when after the inevitable renovation. For expansion purposes, it can eat away at the parking lot a pinch. What are the chances that they might plan on expanding westward, onto sacred territory?

BisBison
02-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Lots of construction activity on campus during the next few years:

2004 - New Bison Court to be finished in 2005

2005 - New Business Building

2005 - Student Union Expansion

2005 - Alien Technology offices and plant

2006 - Wellness Center Expansion

Also the new hotel being built by Maring in 2005 which will be donated to the university later.

TheBisonator
02-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Oh yeah, can't forget the new hotel.

So we have:

1) 2004 - New Bison Court dorms (completed in 2005)

2) 2005 - New Business Administration building

3) 2005 - Expansion of Memorial Union

4) 2005 - Headquarters and plant for Alien Technology

5) 2005 - New hotel and suites adjacent to Fargodome

6) 2006 - Expansion of Wellness Center

bisonranch
02-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Any idea when the BSA remodel is projected to start?

BisBison
02-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Any idea when the BSA remodel is projected to start?

I hope any BSA remodel is just a stopgap until a new from the ground up bball arena is built. Hopefully sooner than later.

NDSUstudent
02-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Hopefully the BSA remodel is projected to start with a good bulldoozing, then a new arena is built on it's place. The BSA did it's job and now it's time to give the bball teams a fresh start in a 1st class D1 facility. Whats the point in throwing 15 million into fixing the BSA when 25-35 million will get you a brand new arena. The BSA needs more then a quick fix it needs a complete overhaul. It needs new lighting, new scoreboards, new seating, and it needs consessions, bathroom, and lockeroom updates. THe BSA needs some major work and even a quick fix would be expensive, whats the point of throwing 10 million(quick fix) into the BSA only to move out ten years later. Hopefully the new arena fails and then NDSU could propose a 1.5 year sales tax extension that would bring about 15 million in and NDSU could come up with the other half.

Tatanka
02-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Hopefully the BSA remodel is projected to start with a good bulldoozing, then a new arena is built on it's place. The BSA did it's job and now it's time to give the bball teams a fresh start in a 1st class D1 facility. Whats the point in throwing 15 million into fixing the BSA when 25-35 million will get you a brand new arena. The BSA needs more then a quick fix it needs a complete overhaul. It needs new lighting, new scoreboards, new seating, and it needs consessions, bathroom, and lockeroom updates. THe BSA needs some major work and even a quick fix would be expensive, whats the point of throwing 10 million(quick fix) into the BSA only to move out ten years later.
++
Why not build a new arena on the hallowed ground to the west of the BSA and call it Dacotah Fieldhouse. Build it to seat 8-10,000 for basketball, build in some nice amenities and be done with it. The Dome is not a basketball venue. The BSA is not an adequate DI basketball venue. The new arena proposed for downtown isn't big enough. Surely the athletic department can drum up enough cash to make this a reality...

BisBison
02-03-2005, 03:34 AM
agree with NDSUstudent and Tatanka wholeheartedly, keep the BSA for phy ed and offices and put the $$ toward a new bb arena worthy of our D-I status.

bisonranch
02-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Hopefully the BSA remodel is projected to start with a good bulldoozing, then a new arena is built on it's place. The BSA did it's job and now it's time to give the bball teams a fresh start in a 1st class D1 facility. Whats the point in throwing 15 million into fixing the BSA when 25-35 million will get you a brand new arena. The BSA needs more then a quick fix it needs a complete overhaul. It needs new lighting, new scoreboards, new seating, and it needs consessions, bathroom, and lockeroom updates. THe BSA needs some major work and even a quick fix would be expensive, whats the point of throwing 10 million(quick fix) into the BSA only to move out ten years later. Hopefully the new arena fails and then NDSU could propose a 1.5 year sales tax extension that would bring about 15 million in and NDSU could come up with the other half.

I completly agree. Unfortunately, too many of Fargo's residents are too cheap and don't realize the benefits to the community.

IowaBison
02-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 years a referendum to finance part of the cost of a new facitility with the Dome tax.

There's still memory of the hockey project and I'm nearly positive the Cityscapes deal is dead.

Hammerhead
02-10-2005, 05:41 AM
What is a arena worthy of D-1 status? Portland State plays most of its home games in a new gym that seats 1,500. ;D

greenandgold01
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
What is a arena worthy of D-1 status? Portland State plays most of its home games in a new gym that seats 1,500. ;D

They might win the Big Sky this season! :o

TheBisonator
03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Sorry to bring up this thread again, but we were talking about BSA rennovations, and it got me thinking about something.

I think they're going to have to install new plastic/steel retractable bleachers in there right away. One of the reasons is that because after the buzzer-beater on Saturday night (against SDSU), me and everyone else in the student section was going absolutely bananas, and there was spillage from about 100 students from the upper rows going down to the floor to celebrate, and as a result, a huge portion of the 1st row wooden bleachers went completely cracked beyond repair.

Luckily I'm not in anyway to blame, because I was standing in front of the 1st row on the floor when it happened, so I wasn't one of the people jumping down and cracking the bleacher.

So if anything needs to be done immediately, they need to install new bleachers and seats. They are NOT safe.

Bisonguy
03-02-2005, 03:11 AM
LOL- You should have been in the student section for the first season in the Fargodome (south end zone). That was unsafe. The retractable section would feel like a 14ft. fishing boat during six foot waves.

greenandgold01
03-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Sorry to bring up this thread again, but we were talking about BSA rennovations, and it got me thinking about something.

I think they're going to have to install new plastic/steel retractable bleachers in there right away. One of the reasons is that because after the buzzer-beater on Saturday night (against SDSU), me and everyone else in the student section was going absolutely bananas, and there was spillage from about 100 students from the upper rows going down to the floor to celebrate, and as a result, a huge portion of the 1st row wooden bleachers went completely cracked beyond repair.

Luckily I'm not in anyway to blame, because I was standing in front of the 1st row on the floor when it happened, so I wasn't one of the people jumping down and cracking the bleacher.

So if anything needs to be done immediately, they need to install new bleachers and seats. They are NOT safe.

Haha, that's what you think. This is NDSU, not Ohio State.

Trust me, by next week they'll have super glued it.

Tatanka
03-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Haha, that's what you think. This is NDSU, not Ohio State.

Trust me, by next week they'll have super glued it.
Forget that, super glue is expensive. I'm thinking duct tape.

mikelsch
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Updated NDSU capital projects. These are not part of the $75 million capital campaign.

FargoDome- the NDSU football offices and locker room facility will re-locate from BSA and Dacotah Field to the Dome; the project is about to complete the architect selection phase; the plan is to move the offices to the second floor of the Dome during winter 2006 and have the locker rooms available by August 2006; this will be a joint venture between the city, Dome Authority, and NDSU.

Alien Technology Building (located in the NDSU Research & Technology Park)- this $7.5M project is located west of 18th St at 17th Ave. and is being designed and built by Alien Technology; it will be a 48,000 square foot building that will accommodate the manufacturing component of Alien; excavation is underway and the project is scheduled to be complete by spring 2006; planning is underway for a second facility that would be south of the current construction.

Candlewood Suites (located in the NDSU Research & Technology Park)- a private developer, Sonmar Development Corporation, has started construction on a 72-room hotel for extended stay customers north of Research II; the south wing of the building will accommodate an NDSU classroom, lab, and offices on the first floor; anticipated completion is early winter 2005 with a goal of having classes in the building for the start of 2006 spring semester.

Bison Court- this project has been under construction for a year, so this is old news but as you can see it is making a dramatic difference at the corner of University Drive and 15th Ave compared to the old Bison Court; the main building along University Drive will be available for occupancy this fall, but the west building which will accommodate Dining Services and Residence Life offices on the first floor and apartments on the upper two floors will not be complete until after the semester starts.

Graduate Center- the NDSU Development Foundation has purchased the building east of the Mini-Mart at University Drive and 12th Ave; the building will be renovated to office space over the summer; this will help relieve some of the overcrowding on campus.

Hazardous Material Handling Facility- this project was approved by the Board of Higher Education and legislature for the 2005-07 biennium; this $3.5M project will be the central receiving, storage, and shipping location for all hazardous materials on campus; a building committee will be formed to identify the program requirements and location of the facility; design will take place over the winter with a ground breaking in spring 2006 and occupancy in 2007.

Incubator Building (located in the NDSU Research & Technology Park)- this $6.9M project is being designed and built by the Research & Technology Park to accommodate start-up businesses and the re-location of administrative offices for the Park from Research I; it will be a 49,000 square foot building located north of the Alien Technology facility and will be completed in two phases; funding for the project has not been fully received yet, but a ground breaking is anticipated for late summer or early fall 2005 with a completion of August 2006.

Sidewalks- The city will be constructing a bike/pedestrian trail this summer on the east side of 18th St from 12th Ave to 19th Ave; there will be other sidewalk improvements that will take place at the Research & Technology Park, FargoDome and elsewhere on campus.

12th Ave North Rehabilitation- this project will not take place until 2008; there have been a couple of public meetings soliciting input for the project; the scope will be from 10th St to I-29, but most of the work will take place between 29th St and University Drive; the scope of work is still being formulated but it will greatly enhance the flow of vehicular traffic and provide better and safer pedestrian crossings of 12th Ave.

Bison_Dan
06-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Updated NDSU capital projects. *These are not part of the $75 million capital campaign.

FargoDome- the NDSU football offices and locker room facility will re-locate from BSA and Dacotah Field to the Dome; the project is about to complete the architect selection phase; the plan is to move the offices to the second floor of the Dome during winter 2006 and have the locker rooms available by August 2006; this will be a joint venture between the city, Dome Authority, and NDSU.

Alien Technology Building (located in the NDSU Research & Technology Park)- this $7.5M project is located west of 18th St at 17th Ave. and is being designed and built by Alien Technology; it will be a 48,000 square foot building that will accommodate the manufacturing component of Alien; excavation is underway and the project is scheduled to be complete by spring 2006; planning is underway for a second facility that would be south of the current construction.

Candlewood Suites (located in the NDSU Research & Technology Park)- a private developer, Sonmar Development Corporation, has started construction on a 72-room hotel for extended stay customers north of Research II; the south wing of the building will accommodate an NDSU classroom, lab, and offices on the first floor; *anticipated completion is early winter 2005 with a goal of having classes in the building for the start of *2006 spring semester.

Bison Court- this project has been under construction for a year, so this is old news but as you can see it is making a dramatic difference at the corner of University Drive and 15th Ave compared to the old Bison Court; the main building along University Drive will be available for occupancy this fall, but the west building which will accommodate Dining Services and Residence Life offices on the first floor and apartments on the upper two floors will not be complete until after the semester starts.

Graduate Center- the NDSU Development Foundation has purchased the building east of the Mini-Mart at University Drive and 12th Ave; the building will be renovated to office space over the summer; this will help relieve some of the overcrowding on campus.

Hazardous Material Handling Facility- this project was approved by the Board of Higher Education and legislature for the 2005-07 biennium; this $3.5M project will be the central receiving, storage, and shipping location for all hazardous materials on campus; a building committee will be formed to identify the program requirements and location of the facility; design will take place over the winter with a ground breaking in spring 2006 and occupancy in 2007.

Incubator Building (located in the NDSU Research & Technology Park)- this $6.9M project is being designed and built by the Research & Technology Park to accommodate start-up businesses and the re-location of administrative offices for the Park from Research I; it will be a 49,000 square foot building located north of the Alien Technology facility and will be completed in two phases; funding for the project has not been fully received yet, but a ground breaking is anticipated for late summer or early fall 2005 with a completion of August 2006.

Sidewalks- The city will be constructing a bike/pedestrian trail this summer on the east side of 18th St from 12th Ave to 19th Ave; *there will be other sidewalk improvements that will take place at the Research & Technology Park, FargoDome and elsewhere on campus.

12th Ave North Rehabilitation- this project will not take place until 2008; there have been a couple of public meetings soliciting input for the project; the scope will be from 10th St to I-29, but most of the work will take place between 29th St and University Drive; the scope of work is still being formulated but it will greatly enhance the flow of vehicular traffic and provide better and safer pedestrian crossings of 12th Ave.

Sounds like a full schedule of projects.

JBB
07-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Heres a story from the Forum about the Student Union. They say its the largest construction project in NDSU history at 22 million?

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=98409&section=News

roadwarrior
07-23-2005, 06:51 PM
22 million would probably easily make it the most expensive project ever!

TheBisonator
07-23-2005, 08:06 PM
What about the Fargodome that cost $44 million??

Bisonguy
07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
What about the Fargodome that cost $44 million??

NDSU didn't pay for that bill, though.

Looks like above ground work has begun on the hotel and the Alien Technologies building as I drove by last night. Ground floor of the hotel is framed, and some columns have been raised for the Alien building.

Bison_Dan
08-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Nice to see NDSU's Technology Park is growing so fast*they can't decide whether to add 40 acres or 100!

sambini
08-09-2005, 12:59 AM
The Fargodome is being paid by city wide sales tax. The memorial union project is the largest in hisotory at 22 million.

roadwarrior
09-16-2005, 08:35 PM
The state Board of Higher Education on Thursday gave North Dakota State University approval to begin work on a $12 million addition to the Wellness Center on campus.
The 72,000-square-foot addition will triple the size of the existing center, adding space for its fitness program, child care area and intramural sports program.
State lawmakers earlier this year gave permission for NDSU to sell $12 million in revenue bonds to fund the addition. The Board of Higher Education said student fees will be used to pay off the bonds and cover operating expenses.
NDSU will use available money to start preliminary work on the project, and will seek approval of a bond resolution later, the board said.
The school hopes to start construction in April and have the addition open by fall 2007, according to Gary Narum, Wellness Center director.

scottheck
09-17-2005, 01:35 AM
If you've ever been in the Wellness Center, what a class facility! The day it opened the doors, it wasn't big enough.
It took the students a lot of years to get it open. Kudos to them for getting an expansion through the legislature in a fraction of the time! :D

Flintstone
09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Has anybody heard anything about the BSA remodel lately? Do we know if the project is anticipated to start in 2007, or would it be later?

Bisonguy
09-29-2005, 12:22 AM
From the WDAY 6:00 news-

A brand new, $5.5MM, 50,000 square foot technology incubator facility will be built in the NDSU Tech Park. Construction may begin as early as next month.

Good news that will only continue to secure more research for NDSU, and help to create more ties with technology companies.

Tatanka
09-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Awesome!!!

Bisonguy
09-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Awesome!!!

As long as the Tech Park doesn't encroach on the Tailgate Park. ;D :P

Tatanka
09-29-2005, 01:21 AM
As long as the Tech Park doesn't encroach on the Tailgate Park. ;D :P
++

roadwarrior
09-29-2005, 01:52 AM
More buildings to the west of the Tailgate Park will only help reduce the cold northwest wind that frequents the Fargo area ;D

sambini
09-29-2005, 03:24 AM
I still miss tailgating in the southeast loy across from the BSA. That was a good spot. Maybe some day they will open that area open again.

DIBISON
09-29-2005, 03:32 AM
We tailgated in that SE corner also since the FD opened until there was the change! The kids loved playing catch on the grassy area.

sambini
09-29-2005, 04:05 AM
The new area is nice, but it was sure a lot more room over in the old spot.

IowaBison
09-29-2005, 02:20 PM
I like the west lot too.

One thing they could do is plant either some conifers or short deciduous trees to help block the northwest wind.

Gully
09-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have any updates on the progress and/or start date of the new RFID building?

IowaBison
09-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Does anyone have any updates on the progress and/or start date of the new RFID building? *

The ground will be broken on the new building this fall.

Bisonguy
09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
The ground will be broken on the new building this fall. *

Are you talking about Phase II, or is it different from the Alien Technologies building? I thought the RFID building was the one going up across the street to the west of the Phoenix building.

IowaBison
09-30-2005, 10:09 PM
A different one. An incubator.

It's part of the plan for the research park, not part of Alien.

Bisonguy
09-30-2005, 10:14 PM
A different one. *An incubator.

It's part of the plan for the research park, not part of Alien.

Gully's reference to RFID is what threw me.

Here's the link to The Forum's article about the Center for Enterprise Technology- NDSU funding falls into place (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=104224&section=Business) (it's from yesterday, but nobody posted it)

tony
09-30-2005, 11:36 PM
We can only hope that state law allows entrepeneurs in the time-honored field of brewing to set up shop there :)

sambini
10-01-2005, 05:00 AM
++

Bisonguy
10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Press conference today announced that Bobcat (Ingersoll-Rand variety, not the Montana State variety) will be the primary tenant of the Center for Enterprise Technology. Bobcat will occupy 15,000 square feet, and employ 50 engineers. The president of Ingersoll-Rand stated that there is a good chance that the Tech Park will become the primary source of new technology and research for Bobcat.

Not very suprising that Bobcat is moving into the Tech Park. They've had a billboard up on N. University about NDSU co-op opportunities for a few months.

IowaBison
10-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Press conference today announced that Bobcat (Ingersoll-Rand variety, not the Montana State variety) will be the primary tenant of the Center for Enterprise Technology. Bobcat will occupy 15,000 square feet, and employ 50 engineers. The president of Ingersoll-Rand stated that there is a good chance that the Tech Park will become the primary source of new technology and research for Bobcat.

Not very suprising that Bobcat is moving into the Tech Park. They've had a billboard up on N. University about NDSU co-op opportunities for a few months.

I had heard that last night (or earlier). Great news for the University.

Could lead to even bigger and better things with Ingersol-Rand.

bisongold
10-05-2005, 09:01 PM
What a great win-win situation!!

roadwarrior
01-30-2006, 10:32 PM
There is an advertisement for construction bids in today's forum for the Wellness Center expansion. Looks like construction will get going this spring on that large project ($10 Million).

TheBisonator
02-03-2006, 05:52 AM
They have basically cut off a good 50-60 percent of the whole current Memorial Union for the construction crews. Varsity Mart will be expanded in the renovation, but for now they have about a third of the store blocked off. Most of the framing to the main east side addition has gone up, and the framing to the south end addition is going to start soon. Hopefully this thing will be done sometime early next year if they put some elbow grease into it. I can't wait to see that new food court.

Flintstone
02-03-2006, 12:15 PM
That is a two year project overall but parts of it may be turned over in phases. Some of the remodel could possibly be completed over the summer.

mikelsch
02-21-2006, 09:43 PM
The Momentum campaign has topped the $70 million mark. The project's goal is $75 million to meet the basic needs, but NDSU officials are hoping (and are projecting) closer to $100 million.

SDbison
02-22-2006, 02:27 AM
I have been contacted and given each year to the Annual Fund, the Greater University Fund and TeamMakers, but have never heard a peep from the Momentum Fund folks. Who is in charge of this fundraising effort?

mikelsch
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Contact the Development Foundation

http://www.ndsufoundation.com/campaign/main.htm

(701) 231-6800 or (800) 279-8971
momentum@ndsualumni.com

scottheck
02-23-2006, 03:17 AM
The Momentum campaign has topped the $70 million mark. *The project's goal is $75 million to meet the basic needs, but NDSU officials are hoping (and are projecting) closer to $100 million. *

Wow! That's big news this soon!
Maybe we will be able to do more, like a bigger BSA project.

sambini
02-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Thats great +++++

roadwarrior
04-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Looks like construction is getting under way on the expansion of the student wellness center. A chain link fence surrounds the area now.

Also it appeared last night that the Candlewood Suites may be open for business. It is located in the NDSU tech park.

Bisonguy
04-23-2006, 02:37 AM
Looks like construction is getting under way on the expansion of the student wellness center. *A chain link fence surrounds the area now.

Also it appeared last night that the Candlewood Suites may be open for business. *It is located in the NDSU tech park.

Candlewood is indeed open, as I know some people at the Spring Game are staying there tonight. I fully expect an in-depth critique of the lodging experience in the near future.

NanoBison
04-23-2006, 02:53 AM
The Alien Technology building is looking close to finished.
Also they are now working on the tech incubator building.
NDSU Memorial Union looks bigger than ever.
Wellness Center is indeed chained off.
I believe the new College of Business building is supposed to start here pretty soon as well.

Has anyone noticed land-movers operating in that area near the airport entrance that was used for the debry in the runway reconstruction project ? I was pretty sure they were done with that area last year. Ironically its the area NDSU has shown interest in as one of several places to expand the Tech Park. Maybe they are getting it ready for something?

roadwarrior
04-23-2006, 03:00 AM
This is perfect: Candlewood Suites. West parking lot. Fargodome. BWW. All within steps of each other

roadwarrior
04-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Alien Technologies is going public soon with an IPO coming up.

NanoBison
04-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Alien Technologies is going public soon with an IPO coming up.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Alien Technology exploded like Google did. Heck even half of that would be good if it somehow translates into more jobs/higher wages/tech dev in Fargo.

Bisonguy
06-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Nice article about Candlewood Suites in The Forum today- http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=129512&section=news

MplsBison
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Alien is exploding. I have no doubt that they're going to triple in growth.

It's too bad that we can't get them HQ'ed in North Dakota. You'd think with the difference in taxes between ND and CA that it wouldn't be a problem with some incentives.

IowaBisonToo
06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Alien is exploding. I have no doubt that they're going to triple in growth.

It's too bad that we can't get them HQ'ed in North Dakota. You'd think with the difference in taxes between ND and CA that it wouldn't be a problem with some incentives.

Same reason you can't get the biotech companies to move to the Midwest . . .
- Too much intellectual talent around there (Stanford, Berkley, UC San Fran, etc.)
- Californians moving to the midwest??? Yeah, right! Dosen't matter about pay vs cost of living.
- May not even be worth trying to move a whole building. The costs would be too much vs tax savings???
- Country/global presence is important, too, so spread out the facilities.

MplsBison
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I suppose.

Still too bad.