PDA

View Full Version : Potts in Trouble again?

BisonBacker
06-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Just heard on the WDAY radio news one of the Board members is wanting to have another meeting to determine Potts future as head of the Board. Sounds like all on the Board are not please with Potts tactics of crying to the media rather then handling things in house.

buffalobilljr
06-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Just heard on the WDAY radio news one of the Board members is wanting to have another meeting to determine Potts future as head of the Board. *Sounds like all on the Board are not please with Potts tactics of crying to the media rather then handling things in house.
Change is inevitable!!!

BisonBacker
06-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Friday morning at 11am is the meeting time. Pam Kostilecky (spelling?) is having the meeting via teleconference to determine Potts future. Kind of interesting, he tries to call out the board and chapman to get his way and now it sounds like his job is on the line for that bone headed move. Should have kept it in house rather then going to the media and try to strongarm the board and chapman.

IowaBison
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
1) Potts is right.

2) He handled it correctly; he brought it up during a meeting. The fact the media got hold of it was unavoidable.

BisonBacker
06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
1) Potts is right.

2) He handled it correctly; he brought it up during a meeting. *The fact the media got hold of it was unavoidable.

whether Potts is right or not is yet to be seen, I guess depending on what the board does will answer that question. As far as the media getting ahold of a story and the president of the Board going to the media, that's two entirely different things.

WYOBISONMAN
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM
My bet is that Pott's gets ejected......Bye...Bye!

MplsBison
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
All the NDUS schools need to receive the same dollars per student before I'll be happy with the chancellor.

NanoBison
06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
All the NDUS schools need to receive the same dollars per student before I'll be happy with the chancellor.

Agreed. (I think Potts is on his way out... so sad, to bad, me so glad...)

IowaBison
06-28-2006, 11:57 PM

but that's not the chancellor's job.

Hammersmith
06-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Honestly, that isn't the best way to decide funding. It is very true that some majors cost more than others to teach. Just look at an auto body student at NDSCS vs. a business administration student at Williston. Expensive, specialized equipment. Large shop space for a relativly small number of students. Cars and other vehicles to practice on. It all adds up and drives the costs up for certain majors at certain schools. NDUS is a (too)complicated system to be evaluated by a single simple number. That's lazy, faulty reasoning and too easy of a trap to fall into.

kchats
06-29-2006, 04:30 AM
I'll take the job President Chapman has been doing at NDSU over the job Potts has done any day of the week. Chapman has done much more for North Dakota in his time at NDSU than Potts has done as chancellor. Potts needs to go he is nothing more than a figure head and he tried to be more. President Chapman has alot of support in North Dakota.

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 04:48 AM
I'll take the job President Chapman has been doing at NDSU over the job Potts has done any day of the week. *Chapman has done much more for North Dakota in his time at NDSU than Potts has done as chancellor. *Potts needs to go he is nothing more than a figure head and he tried to be more. *President Chapman has alot of support in North Dakota.

Potts has been trying to do his job, the problem is that North Dakota WANTS him to be a figurehead.

kchats
06-29-2006, 05:03 AM
Lucky for North Dakota and NDSU he is only a figurehead. Potts would have fired the best university president in North Dakota because he wasn't a suckup yes man. The board is in charge and the university presidents need to be in charge of their campuses. The presidents know what their universities need and they should be allowed to fight for it themselves. All the more reason to hire a good university president. I still say good riddance to Potts. He has some nerve trying to paint Chapman as a bad guy a couple of months after the students and university showed him great respect and he chose to remain at NDSU instead of leaving for Wyoming. I hope Potts temper tantrum doesn't make Chapman look to leave for another opportunity. Chapman has done a great job of ramping up NDSU's exposure and research money and NDSU needs him to remain as president.

Bison_Dan
06-29-2006, 12:12 PM
The trouble with the system as it is today is there's no reward for sucess for your campus. *Look at all the high paying jobs the tech park (a real tech park) at NDSU has brought in to ND, research dollars, increase in students, etc. *And what does Chapman get - a slap on the back and told to not talk to anyone about increased funding. *And don't think for a second that und's administration isn't whispering in Pott's ear about how he has to stand up to Chapman. *Why? *Because if NDSU get more money the money will likely come from their share. *Make no mistake this is all about money! *

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
I'll take the job President Chapman has been doing at NDSU over the job Potts has done any day of the week. *Chapman has done much more for North Dakota in his time at NDSU than Potts has done as chancellor. *Potts needs to go he is nothing more than a figure head and he tried to be more. *President Chapman has alot of support in North Dakota.

Potts has been trying to do his job, the problem is that North Dakota WANTS him to be a figurehead.
You say Potts is doing his job, I would say Chapman has also and I can use Potts last evaluation of Chapman to prove my point. Chapman has not one reprimand by Potts in Chapmans file, for a guy who's allegedly causing so many problems why has Potts not noted even one infraction in Chapmans file? You nor I are privey to the inside information but I'm going by what's reported in the Newpaper (Fargo Forum) and apparently due to open records law they looked at Chapmans file and it shows nothing, zero, not one infraction. So again I ask you give me one example of what Chapman has done since you seem to know so much about Chapmans misbehavior and wrongdoings that you side with Potts in this issue. I will be anxiously waiting to hear what it is that President Chapman has done wrong. Oh and by the way you may want to notify the local media as well about your inside knowledge as they can't seem to find anything President Chapman has done wrong either so I'm sure they will break the news as soon as you clue them in.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Honestly, that isn't the best way to decide funding. *It is very true that some majors cost more than others to teach. *Just look at an auto body student at NDSCS vs. a business administration student at Williston. *Expensive, specialized equipment. Large shop space for a relativly small number of students. *Cars and other vehicles to practice on. *It all adds up and drives the costs up for certain majors at certain schools. *NDUS is a (too)complicated system to be evaluated by a single simple number. *That's lazy, faulty reasoning and too easy of a trap to fall into.
How you can say that is beyond me. *Its the only way to fairly evaluate funding. *Your post just goes to show why some of these schools should be closed. *If you have to have expensive equipment and large shop space for a small number of students is it fiscally responsible to keep a program open when they can't support it by the numbers wanting that specialty education? *I say no.

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I'll take the job President Chapman has been doing at NDSU over the job Potts has done any day of the week. Chapman has done much more for North Dakota in his time at NDSU than Potts has done as chancellor. Potts needs to go he is nothing more than a figure head and he tried to be more. President Chapman has alot of support in North Dakota.

You say Potts is doing his job, I would say Chapman has also and I can use Potts last evaluation of Chapman to prove my point. Chapman has not one reprimand by Potts in Chapmans file, for a guy who's allegedly causing so many problems why has Potts not noted even one infraction in Chapmans file? You nor I are privey to the inside information but I'm going by what's reported in the Newpaper (Fargo Forum) and apparently due to open records law they looked at Chapmans file and it shows nothing, zero, not one infraction. So again I ask you give me one example of what Chapman has done since you seem to know so much about Chapmans misbehavior and wrongdoings that you side with Potts in this issue. I will be anxiously waiting to hear what it is that President Chapman has done wrong. Oh and by the way you may want to notify the local media as well about your inside knowledge as they can't seem to find anything President Chapman has done wrong either so I'm sure they will break the news as soon as you clue them in.

I've already listed them on this site, look 'em up.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't want to waste my time, its obvious there isn't anything listed on this site as you say and your refusal to post this treasure trove of information proves that. If you had anything of value and truth in the way of improprieties on the part of Chapman the news media would love to hear from you so again I will ask you one more time to post it for all the uninformed folks like me. Otherwise I won't bother to reply as I don't want to waste anymore time on this.

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
That's not true at all.

I've posted it twice on here, it's publicly available data AND it's been in the media.

I'm not here to find information at your command.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Just what I thought nothing of any substance just inuendo. Well here's a quote directly from the forum but of course this must be a biased source since it doesn't agree with your version of truth. Per the forum article "Chapman said the comments Potts made in the June 15 meeting “came totally out of the blue.”

Potts told board members Chapman doesn’t comply with board policies and procedures, but Chapman said he’s never heard that allegation before.

Potts gave Chapman a positive evaluation last year and has not put any letters of reprimand or other negative feedback in Chapman’s personnel file.

The two have clashed on various issues, including the debate on equity funding and a system-wide initiative to recruit foreign students, but Chapman said it’s normal to have disagreements as long as they remain professional."

Don't know how you can argue that but there it is direct from the Fargo Forum. Maybe they have the whole story wrong. :D

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Fine then, lazy guy.

Took me less than a minute to find, on the chapman thread about four down from this one:

\\\\\

1. Approaching the legislature independently.

2. Speaking out against the foreign student program.

both have received considerable press, including the story in the Forum/AP on Friday.

\\\\\

the latter isn't too big deal, the former is almost surely insubordination.

please take a minute to visit that thread, if you can find the time.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Please refer to my last post, as quoted from the forum Chapman states...

"The two have clashed on various issues, including the debate on equity funding and a system-wide initiative to recruit foreign students, but Chapman said it’s normal to have disagreements as long as they remain professional."

so your last comment as you even noted is not worthy of even mentioning as it is normal and to be expected that people have differing opinions on topics and no two people will always agree on something but that doesn't make them insubordinate. As to your first item of approaching the legislature I can only say this much, if you have a problem with your boss or his boss you go up a level until you have exhausted all your resources available to correct what is in your mind a problem/issue. If Chapman as I'm sure he did approach Potts and the Board about the funding equity issue was not able to recieve what he felt was a fair and equitable solution then its his duty to explore all available avenues to address the issue. Now to some that may understandably ruffle some feathers but it doesn't necessarily make Chapman wrong. In fact its my opinion he would be negligent in his duties not to do that. Now if its explicitly expressed and forbidden in the bylaws of the NDSBOHE to do that then yes he should be reprimanded however I don't believe that to be the case due to the fact that Potts has not reprimanded him for such behavior which he obviously would have had it been explicitly forbidden. So you can have your opinions as I but the fact remains Potts has not reprimanded Chapman which is within his authority if Chapman has done something wrong. If you want a president who's just a yes sir no sir guy your never going to get anywhere and you would most certainly not have the progress that Chapman has overseen during his tenure as president of NDSU. That is a FACT!

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Bisonbacker, why do you want to avoid facts that shed light on the situation.

Chapman was in Bismarck during the last legislative session lobbying for additional higher ed funds, that is strictly forbidden under the law.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Using your own words in a previous post you said
"1. *Approaching the legislature independently.
2. *Speaking out against the foreign student program.
both have received considerable press, including the story in the Forum/AP on Friday.
\\\\\

the latter isn't too big deal, the former is almost surely insubordination"

Almost surely? *Wow that's a real nail in the coffin for a guilty verdict.

Now you say "Chapman was in Bismarck during the last legislative session lobbying for additional higher ed funds, that is strictly forbidden under the law"

So which is it? *Where in the law is it forbidden that a president lobby the legislature for additional funding? *I would like to see that as I have a hard time believing it. *Again if it was forbidden why is not Chapman been reprimanded for it? *You make accusations and claim guilt but I would like to see in the North Dakota Century code where is stated a university president lobbying the ND legislature for additional funding is illegal. *Or tell me in the bylaws of the NDSBOHE where it states its "illegal". *I'll be anxiously waiting for that information. *Should be an interesting read.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Answer me this NorthDakotaBison, Does or Does not Potts have the authority to reprimand Chapman?
I'll answer that for you, Yes he does.
So why has Potts decided not to reprimand a president that he claims is so insubordinate if he the alleged guilty party has in fact done something that is against the law or bylaws of the orginization in which he belongs? You can't answer that because the truth is Chapman has done nothing illegal.

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Using your own words in a previous post you said
"1. Approaching the legislature independently.

2. Speaking out against the foreign student program.

\\\\\

the latter isn't too big deal, the former is almost surely insubordination"

Almost surely? Wow that's a real nail in the coffin for a guilty verdict.

Now you say "Chapman was in Bismarck during the last legislative session lobbying for additional higher ed funds, that is strictly forbidden under the law"

So which is it? Where in the law is it forbidden that a president lobby the legislature for additional funding? I would like to see that as I have a hard time believing it. Again if it was forbidden why is not Chapman been reprimanded for it? You make accusations and claim guilt but I would like to see in the North Dakota Century code where is stated a university president lobbying the ND legislature for additional funding is illegal. Or tell me in the bylaws of the NDSBOHE where it states its "illegal". I'll be anxiously waiting for that information. Should be an interesting read.

because insubordination may not be the correct term.

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 08:07 PM
You make accusations and claim guilt but I would like to see in the North Dakota Century code where is stated a university president lobbying the ND legislature for additional funding is illegal. Or tell me in the bylaws of the NDSBOHE where it states its "illegal". I'll be anxiously waiting for that information. Should be an interesting read.

The Constitution created the Board. The Board created the rule.

Once again, could you spare a minute and read the thread under this one, or are you still too busy.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, I will use the SBHE Policies manual to prove your wrong and if your interested here's the link to the policies http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/policies/sbhe-policies/policy.asp?ref=2509
So right there I see nothing saying anything about a university president not approaching the legislature. *
The more appropriate section that governs the presidents of a university is this section
http://www.ndus.edu/policies/sbhe-policies/policy.asp?ref=2400
and it again says nothing about discussions with the legislature.
Ok now for the record, is a university president approaching the legislature a good idea, by most standards I would say no. *Is it the preferred method of operation, again I would say no. *Are his actions (using your words) insubordinate? Nothing in the bylaws says its prohibited so if you want to go tit for tat your WRONG. * As a matter of fact the same manual stresses the actions of the president be for the betterment of his university. *Unfortunately for you NorthDakotaBison it appears your the one who's to lazy to actually look at the bylaws to see if what Potts is stating as wrongdoings is explicitly prohibited and it is not. *Is there room for interpretation of course there is. *But I don't think even Potts is wanting to go there given he's not reprimanded Chapman so apparently he doesn't feel like he's on solid ground himself. *Why don't you try to do a little research yourself next time before you go claiming guilt or innocence, by the way I used to work in law enforcement, it doesn't make me an attorney (thank god) but I do have enough experience with legal matters to know that your innocent until proven guilty and you sir don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to proclaiming Chapmans guilt or maybe you are to busy to research some facts?

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Have you read the other thread yet, or are you afraid?

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Why didn't you answer these questions or are you afraid?

"Answer me this NorthDakotaBison, Does or Does not Potts have the authority to reprimand Chapman?
I'll answer that for you, Yes he does.
So why has Potts decided not to reprimand a president that he claims is so insubordinate if he the alleged guilty party has in fact done something that is against the law or bylaws of the orginization in which he belongs? You can't answer that because the truth is Chapman has done nothing illegal"

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Have you read the other thread yet, or are you afraid?
I don't have to read a thread that is filled with nothing but inuendo and opinions, I looked at the bylaws which you seem to think Chapman is guilty of insubordination yet you won't show exactly where he has done anything in violation of those same bylaws. *Why is it or can't you answer with factual information to backup your claims? *I gave you the link to the bylaws lets see the section or exact bylaw he has breached. *

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Actually it is.

Section 304.1.2.h

(Duties of the Chancellor)

Serve as the official representative of the Board and the institutions and entities it governs to the Legislature, to the Office of the Governor, to the Executive Branch, and to other governmental entities.

305.1.3.j.1.

(Duties of the President)

Developing effective communication with legislators and with other public policy makers in coordination with the Chancellor.

Going to the legislature and lobbying for funding/legislation that does not align with the SBHE is a no-no.

IowaBison
06-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Your first link has nothing to do with anything.

In the second it says work with the Chancellor, no where does it say go to Bismarck, do your own thing.

BisonBacker
06-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Actually it is.

Section 304.1.2.h

(Duties of the Chancellor)

Serve as the official representative of the Board and the institutions and entities it governs to the Legislature, to the Office of the Governor, to the Executive Branch, and to other governmental entities.

305.1.3.j.1.

(Duties of the President)

Developing effective communication with legislators and with other public policy makers in coordination with the Chancellor.

Going to the legislature and lobbying for funding/legislation that does not align with the SBHE is a no-no.
Yes Potts is the official representative, but where does it say a president of any of the institutions is in violation of these same bylaws if he approaches the legislature with a request or proposal?
You last comment is your interpretation and you cannot nor have you supported the position that it is as you say a no-no. It says nowhere in those bylaws anything about any university president from being in violation of any part of the bylaws if he does approach the legislature. You still haven't answered my question about if he was truly in fact in violation of a written bylaw why has Potts not reprimanded him? Your interpreting the bylaws as you see fit to support your position which is according to those very bylaws themselves as written not factual. If President Chapman feels the Chancellor of the Board or the Board itself is not doing its job is he by your standards then handcuffed to not do anything? Can he not approach the Govenor or the legislature? I say he can according to the lack of restrictions in the bylaws themselves. You can call it semantics or whatever you want but the law is the law or in this case the bylaws are the bylaws and they do not support your positioin that president Chapman has done anything to deserve reprimand or dismissal. Now if they change the bylaws to read that no university president shall do ------------ you fill in the blanks, as long as the bylaws do not infringe on Civil or Criminal law they can make whatever restrictions they want in the bylaws. But as they stand now Chapman has not violated anything in them, your own quotes do not support your position. As I stated earlier I'm not saying it should be done or is the preferred method of dealing with a difference of opinion with either the board and or the chancellor but it does not rise above the level of insubordination or illegal activity. At best it is a breach of decorum in normal operating practices but that NorthDakotabison is not what your preaching here. What Potts is saying goes on to prove my point but what he should be asking for is a modification to the bylaws to actually say it is a violation of the bylaws to go straight to the legislature but I don't think he or anyone else can do that as it would violate other rights to both public and private entities. I think he's barking up the wrong tree and would have been better served to keep this within the confines of the Board as well as the Govenors office. It's been nothing but a three ring circus and nobody is going to come out of this with "what they want". Enough said.

IowaBison
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
when you go to Bismarck alone, ie not in coordination with the Chancellor/SBoHE, you are breaking the rule.

IowaBison
06-30-2006, 12:47 AM
*If President Chapman feels the Chancellor of the Board or the Board itself is not doing its job is he by your standards then handcuffed to not do anything? *

Yes (it's not my standard, good try though).

*Can he not approach the Govenor or the legislature?

No.

That is the primary reason the NDUS exists, to budget and prioritize before the legislature convenes and to present a united front.

IowaBison
06-30-2006, 12:48 AM
ya know with your head so far in the sand, bisonbacker, you should be able to tell us how the Chinese run their higher education system ;)

roadwarrior
06-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Will you two take it offline?

MinotBison
06-30-2006, 03:46 AM

Amen.

kchats
06-30-2006, 04:11 AM
If the Chancellor refuses to take your request to the legislature because of favortism towards a university that benefits from your proposal not being presented then I see no problem with a president going to the legislature on his own.

The president's duties include developing relationships with the legislature so what is the problem.

I'm sure this is about the equity funding and NDSU gets screwed by the current equity formula. Potts wouldn't point this out since he prefers UND so Chapman had no choice but to approach the legislature to try and correct the inequity. Chapman's job is to do what is best for NDSU and if the Chancellor refuses to assist him in that duty he must go on his own.

BisonBacker
06-30-2006, 12:22 PM

Wow what happened to you today? *
Is this not an issue that is relevant to NDSU and its followers?
Is this conversation/debate breaking any rules on the board or is it not civilized?
Didn't the forum and WDAY news just run a story on this issue yesterday?
Road you happen to have been given the status of Moderator but don't turn into Barney Fife with his shiney bullet at checkpoint chicky ;D

BisonBacker
06-30-2006, 12:24 PM

Amen.

Is someone forcing you to read this thread? If you don't like a tv show thats on do you still sit and watch it. They do have a thing on the tv called a on off button you know. That little mouse you use to control your computer can easily gloss over this thread. Does your mother still dress you in the mornings?

BisonBacker
06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
ya know with your head so far in the sand, bisonbacker, you should be able to tell us how the Chinese run their higher education system *;)
This comment really bolsters your level of credibility. You still can't answer the questions I posed to you.

BisonBacker
06-30-2006, 12:27 PM
If the Chancellor refuses to take your request to the legislature because of favortism towards a university that benefits from your proposal not being presented then I see no problem with a president going to the legislature on his own.

The president's duties include developing relationships with the legislature so what is the problem.

I'm sure this is about the equity funding and NDSU gets screwed by the current equity formula. *Potts wouldn't point this out since he prefers UND so Chapman had no choice but to approach the legislature to try and correct the inequity. *Chapman's job is to do what is best for NDSU and if the Chancellor refuses to assist him in that duty he must go on his own.
KChats your going to need to change that comment under your avatar soon :D

Bison_Dan
06-30-2006, 12:42 PM

I'm sure this is about the equity funding and NDSU gets screwed by the current equity formula. *Potts wouldn't point this out since he prefers UND so Chapman had no choice but to approach the legislature to try and correct the inequity. *Chapman's job is to do what is best for NDSU and if the Chancellor refuses to assist him in that duty he must go on his own.

I agree 100% - Potts doesn't want to rock the boat with und and the legislature even if he knows it's wrong. Make no mistake und has more legislative cronies than NDSU and I'm sure the rest of the schools are just happy to have their present funding. If NDSU gets their FAIR share someone will lose funding (und).

IowaBison
06-30-2006, 01:26 PM

I'm sure this is about the equity funding and NDSU gets screwed by the current equity formula. Potts wouldn't point this out since he prefers UND so Chapman had no choice but to approach the legislature to try and correct the inequity. Chapman's job is to do what is best for NDSU and if the Chancellor refuses to assist him in that duty he must go on his own.

I agree with a university president being pissed about inequity, but that's how they system is set up (and it's not because of favoritism, it's because the system is ridiculous)!

Potts prefers UND? C'mon, that's ridiculous.

NDSU does get screwed, but the place to correct that is with the Board, not the legislature.

BisonBacker
06-30-2006, 02:23 PM

I agree with a university president being pissed about inequity, but that's how they system is set up (and it's not because of favoritism, it's because the system is ridiculous)!

Potts prefers UND? *C'mon, that's ridiculous.

NDSU does get screwed, but the place to correct that is with the Board, not the legislature.

I agree with that comment but then how do you correct that problem when you have a Board President that refuses to acknowledge a problem even exists?

IowaBison
06-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Potts prefers UND? C'mon, that's ridiculous.

I agree with that comment but then how do you correct that problem when you have a Board President that refuses to acknowledge a problem even exists?

It's not just the board president, it's the whole system.

Given the characteristics of our state, some serious organizational changes need to take place in higher education, but what is happening isn't helping.

Instead there are a number of delusional people who think that we need to increase the budget 20% and the issues will go away, which is the plan the NDUS is going to take to Bismarck next year. The problem is they are off their nut.

Just like in '04 they'll say we tried to get the money we need, but the legislature turned us down.

I don't blame Chapman for being pissed, but I don't blame Potts for being at the end of his string either.

BisonBacker
06-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Well it looks like he found the end of his string.

IowaBison
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
http://www.ndus.edu/policies/sbhe-policies/policy.asp?ref=2517

Section: 100.6 Authority and Responsibility of the State Board of Higher Education

A. Responsibility of the Board

6.The Board sets system priorities regarding all requests of the legislature and executive branch. Those representing the institutions are not to undermine those priorities.

NanoBison
07-06-2006, 01:39 AM
http://www.ndus.edu/policies/sbhe-policies/policy.asp?ref=2517

Section: 100.6 Authority and Responsibility of the State Board of Higher Education

A. Responsibility of the Board

6.The Board sets system priorities regarding all requests of the legislature and executive branch. Those representing the institutions are not to undermine those priorities.

Unfortunately, Equity Funding is not a system priority for the Board. Hence why he did what he did. Glad he did too.

IowaBison
07-06-2006, 03:46 AM
?

The funding formula is probably the most important single work the Board has worked on in the past six years.

?

Bison_Dan
07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
?

The funding formula is probably the most important single work the Board has worked on in the past six years.

?

You can't fix anything by committee. NDSU was getting the shaft in funding, while being the most progressive school in the state. There needs to be some reward for excellence.

mikelsch
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
?

?

They haven't accomplished much, but I think things will change in the next legislative session

The_Sicatoka
07-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Some summertime reading about the most recent phase of this saga:

http://www.ag.nd.gov/documents/2006-O-11.pdf

NanoBison
07-08-2006, 06:22 AM
They should have titled it "Days of our Lives"... god what drama... ::)

broke_back_mnt
07-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Heres the rest of the story. It confirms no substance to innuendo and rumor. Hopefully the Board can put the Potts mistake behind them and get down to some work. As a few other threads on this board attest, the Board has a lot to do.

When changes are made some will benefit from a renwed fairness in the approach to funding. Others may find themselves adjusting to a level playing field.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132374&section=News

NanoBison
07-08-2006, 07:39 PM
The problem I see with a level-playing-field, is that NDSU and UND are many levels above the remaining 9 institutions in the state. I know we are underfunded when compared to the smaller schools and that this leveling may "help" that. But do we want to necessarily put ALL institutions on the SAME level? Mayville is a money-sucker. Every $1 that goes to NDSU brings back $9 into the state (according to a recent economic study, ... I don't remember where though).

There is ALOT of work that needs to be done in the SBoHE, equity would be a start, but the two big research universities should be getting the largest share of the funding (more per student, than say Mayville, VCSU).

It really chaps my ass to see those comments in the Forum board as to people making Chapman look like a mafia-boss who is manipulating the entire SBoHE by strings like marionettes. I'm glad he ask for more money in salary and a bigger house. He's worth twice what we pay him and that house sitting across from the Turf, (what a wonderful view from a living room window...), is half the size it should be.

In retrospect, the number of higher education institutions is twice what it should be. I think we could have an excellent system with 5 or 6 institutions. That way we could fund our schools and teacher's salaries at the levels of those with their peers. The only way we ever get excellent professors in North Dakota from good backgrounds (Carnegie Mellon, Yale, Harvard, MIT, UCLA Berkeley, etc...) is if they are willing to take an enormous cut in pay. We should be able to offer them what the U-of-M is offering, but since we have to fund 11 damn institutions, the money gets drained to keep little towns open in North Dakota.

insane_ponderer
07-08-2006, 08:18 PM
lol...every now and then i drink at a "Carnegie Mellon" bar thats close to campus. *The only way to get those kids to go to North Dakota would be to tell them that its the land of "robots and rubiqs cubes" cause thats about all most of them are interested in. *;D

NanoBison
07-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but I've always meant to ask you what does the G in G-city stand for? :)

kchats
07-09-2006, 04:48 AM
It is interesting reading the stories in the Grand Forks Herald on this situation. They are all up in arms and claim that Chapman has convenient memory loss etc. It really shows you this whole mess is in regards to equity funding and UND's defense of their funding by smearing Chapman. Chapman is a good man who is doing a great job but this story won't die and it keeps smearing his good work when there is nothing to it.

NanoBison
07-09-2006, 05:32 AM
Agreed. There's more drama in the Forum today. The good part of the read, is where someone said that we should go back to a all-campuses for themselves model. I think that way, the two larger universities would be able to properly fight for their respective share of state funding. At this point I don't trust the SBoHE anymore. Maybe it should be abandoned. I think NDSU and UND would be fine fighting for their money on their own. Mayville and the smaller schools... I could care less, since they are bandages on dying towns.

>:(

broke_back_mnt
07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
The Board has been an effective tool for Und. *The 1938 incident mentioned also resulted in the loss of accreditation for NDSU. *The school was dead, the degrees meant nothing. Students were bailing out. At that moment in time Billjrs dream of a single campus was about as close to reality as it was going to get. *Behind that action was Langer and his Und buddies.

A group of students known as the "Gang of 13" traveled the state and even to Washington lobbing to restore accreditation. *Due to their hard work, my Mother was one of them, NDSU was saved. *

They need to be worried. *NDSU is gaining strength on every front. *Dr. Chapman is raising the NDSU profile and by contrast business as usual up in Grand Forks looks like a monkey cage. *The naming issue, the Di debacle, economic stagnation, a president that is leading in circles. *Now Potts is gone. *I would be desperate too.

Watch closely and keep tract of Potts supporters. *Their trail will lead right back to Grand Forks.

The best course of action for NDSU is to follow Dr. Chapmans lead. *Take care of ourselves and if that means going around an unresponsive Board of HE, then do it. *In the meantime stay away from any involvement with them including athletic events and conference affiliation if possible.

IowaBison
07-09-2006, 03:24 PM
*Take care of ourselves and if that means going around an unresponsive Board of HE, then do it. *In the meantime stay away from any involvement with them including athletic events and conference affiliation if possible.

Hell, I'd pay big money to see our men's basketball team take on the SBoHE, JBB. But I agree that we shouldn't be in the same conference.

SDbison
07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Much as I don't live in ND anymore this Pott's versus Chapman thing is very disturbing. My youngest daughter will be attending NDSU this fall and everything was looking great at NDSU until this issue reared its ugly head. From reading all the articles I see three instigators that appear to be motivated by jealousy with a goal to pull NDSU and Joe Chapman down due to their recent success:
1. UND / Grand Forks people versus NDSU / Fargo people.
2. ND towns with small colleges versus Fargo and NDSU.
3. Democratic politicians versus Republican politicians in ND.
What really pisses me off is how all those trying to make a big deal out of this situation have failing practices, poor economics, and less power. They want to elevate their interest at the expense of the entire system. They want to pull down a successful personality and institution to their level. What a bunch of crap. This parallels the garbage the Democrats are doing at a national level, that is, make the United States look bad so that they can make a power grab.
Everyone on this board who cares a bit about NDSU should be writing letters of support to Chapman. I also think some letters need to be written to the Forum asking them to quit fanning the flames. They only want to sell more papers and what a perfect opportunity since they now own the GF paper and can get practically everyone in ND up in arms.

kchats
07-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Here are all the articles from the Grand Forks Herald and the Fargo Forum.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/opinion/14997789.htm

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/opinion/14997806.htm

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132502&section=Opinion

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132506&section=Opinion

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132510&section=Opinion

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132511&section=Opinion

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132513&section=Opinion

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132374

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132521&section=news

It sure seems that UND is up in arms about all the growth at NDSU and the great work President Chapman has done at NDSU. I am beginning to wonder if all the hub bub about Potts resignation isn't a scheme by UND and Grand Forks to thwart NDSU in gaining membership in the Mid Con without UND. Obviously Potts had poor leadership skills and it wasn't only President Chapman that noticed this. UND has fallen behind NDSU since President Chapman took over and instead of realizing it is because of poor leadership by President Kupchella they attack President Chapman for his great work.

President Chapman will have to aggressively defend himself in this matter since the unfounded attacks have been coming in waves. As he stated the other day if he doesn't defend himself the rumors will damage his reputation and NDSU.

UND just can't stand NDSU passing them by and UND also believed the Board of Higher Education would be able to maintain its preferred hierarchy with UND the top university and NDSU second. I believe that is what this is all about NDSU is now the top university in the State of North Dakota due to President Chapman's hard work and UND is have a tough time dealing with it.

The only article in the whole mess of articles I have linked that supports President Chapman is an editorial by the Fargo Forum the rest are attacks on Governor Hoeven and President Chapman. That is a shame because the only reason President Chapman is under attack is because of the great work he has done.

Flanders
07-09-2006, 04:43 PM
It is interesting reading the stories in the Grand Forks Herald on this situation. They are all up in arms and claim that Chapman has convenient memory loss etc. It really shows you this whole mess is in regards to equity funding and UND's defense of their funding by smearing Chapman. Chapman is a good man who is doing a great job but this story won't die and it keeps smearing his good work when there is nothing to it.

Why do you attribute an AP story out of Bismarck to the GF Herald? Or to Grand Forks for that matter? When a story appears in a newspaper, it doesn't mean that its "theirs" or even that it's the pulse of the town. Dale Wentzel wrote the story.

kchats
07-09-2006, 05:01 PM
So you don't believe there are any AP writers that live in Grand Forks and write for the Herald. You don't believe that there are any AP writers living in Grand Forks that graduated from UND.

Read the editorial positions on this story between the Herald and the Forum and it is quite obvious that no matter how miniscule Chapman's effect on Potts leaving it was a horrible wrong and Chapman should be villified for ruining the Board and the University System. The whole mess is a hierarchy thing where UND can't handle being second fiddle in the State. UND has effectively used the board to keep NDSU in its "place" but President Chapman blew through that glass ceiling and has NDSU as the top university in the State of North Dakota.

Flanders
07-09-2006, 05:12 PM
So you don't believe there are any AP writers that live in Grand Forks and write for the Herald. You don't believe that there are any AP writers living in Grand Forks that graduated from UND.

Read the editorial positions on this story between the Herald and the Forum and it is quite obvious that no matter how miniscule Chapman's effect on Potts leaving it was a horrible wrong and Chapman should be villified for ruining the Board and the University System. The whole mess is a hierarchy thing where UND can't handle being second fiddle in the State. UND has effectively used the board to keep NDSU in its "place" but President Chapman blew through that glass ceiling and has NDSU as the top university in the State of North Dakota.

As a matter of fact, there aren't any AP writers that live in Grand Forks. There aren't any that write for the Herald (which is a bizarre notion, AP writers write for the AP, not individual newspapers. There stories are taken off the wire and ran in various newspapers. They are not employed by the newspapers) And Dale Wetzel is not a UND graduate.

SDbison
07-09-2006, 05:16 PM
It is interesting reading the stories in the Grand Forks Herald on this situation. *They are all up in arms and claim that Chapman has convenient memory loss etc. *It really shows you this whole mess is in regards to equity funding and UND's defense of their funding by smearing Chapman. *Chapman is a good man who is doing a great job but this story won't die and it keeps smearing his good work when there is nothing to it.

Why do you attribute an AP story out of Bismarck to the GF Herald? *Or to Grand Forks for that matter? *When a story appears in a newspaper, it doesn't mean that its "theirs" or even that it's the pulse of the town. *Dale Wentzel wrote the story.

I don't know who Dale Wentzel is but you don't think it is possible he is:
A. A UND graduate or supporter.
B. Grew up or went to college in one of the smaller ND towns.
C. Has ties to some of the people against Chapman and NDSU.
D. Is a Democrat or leans towards the minority political power in ND.
E. All of the above.
In this time when almost all issues polarize people it would not surprize me if this this issue is politically motivated and backed.

broke_back_mnt
07-09-2006, 05:25 PM
*Take care of ourselves and if that means going around an unresponsive Board of HE, then do it. *In the meantime stay away from any involvement with them (Und) including athletic events and conference affiliation if possible.

Hell, I'd pay big money to see our men's basketball team take on the SBoHE, JBB. *But I agree that we shouldn't be in the same conference.
*;D ;D *not clearly written was it? *:-[

+++++ *to SD Bison and others that see through this issue.

+++++ *Hats off to Dr. Chapman. *He is shaking up an old power structure. You dont even have to be quiet to hear which pigs are squealing! * ;

Flanders
07-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Why do you attribute an AP story out of Bismarck to the GF Herald? Or to Grand Forks for that matter? When a story appears in a newspaper, it doesn't mean that its "theirs" or even that it's the pulse of the town. Dale Wentzel wrote the story.

E. All of the above.
In this time when almost all issues polarize people it would not surprize me if this this issue is politically motivated and backed.

I guess anything is possible. Dale Wetzel could be the biggest UND supporter for all we know. But this I know for sure: Dale Wetzel has been covering ND politics for 21 years for the Associated Press' Bismarck bureau. He grew up in Florissant, MO, and graduated from Springfield, MO. He went to college at the University of Kansas. Do you think it's possible that Wetzel would have been on the job for that long if either 'C' or 'D' is true?

SDbison
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
As a matter of fact, there aren't any AP writers that live in Grand Forks. *There aren't any that write for the Herald (which is a bizarre notion, AP writers write for the AP, not individual newspapers. *There stories are taken off the wire and ran in various newspapers. *They are not employed by the newspapers) *And Dale Wetzel is not a UND graduate.

Flanders....
Do you think all the people making a big deal about this matter are interested in improving the university system or hanging Joe Chapman? Seems there are a lot of UND alumni and supporters who are crying foul just so they can take high flying NDSU down a few notches. Why don't the folks at UND concentrate on fixing their own messes or improving their own lot, rather than trying to always keep up with or destroy NDSU? This whole thing is motivated by minority Democrats, whiners at UND and the dwindling and failing small ND colleges. Potts sounds like a poor loser. Maybe UND can grant him an honorary degree.

kchats
07-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Or maybe Potts can be the new president at UND when Kupchella leaves. ;) That seems to be what Potts was pushing for. He should have recommended that UND save its money for changing its logo but he went along with that. UND suing the NCAA isn't a big deal to Potts but NDSU becoming the top university in North Dakota is wrong because Potts doesn't want them to.

NDSU is the top university in North Dakota in everything except enrollment and that gap is closing rapidly. NDSU will not only be the top university in everything they will also have the largest enrollment in the state university system. UND supporters can't handle this and are squealing to the media to try and bring NDSU down by damaging Chapman's reputation with lies and inuendos. Getting rid of the best president in the state of North Dakota would be a huge mistake.

SDbison
07-09-2006, 05:46 PM
[quote author=SDbison link=1151514407/60#69 date=1152465368
A. *A UND graduate or supporter.
B. *Grew up or went to college in one of the smaller ND towns.
C. *Has ties to some of the people against Chapman and NDSU.
D. *Is a Democrat or leans towards the minority political power in ND.
E. *All of the above.
In this time when almost all issues polarize people it would not surprize me if this this issue is politically motivated and backed. *

I guess anything is possible. *Dale Wetzel could be the biggest UND supporter for all we know. *But this I know for sure: *Dale Wetzel has been covering ND politics for 21 years for the Associated Press' Bismarck bureau. *He grew up in Florissant, MO, and graduated from Springfield, MO. *He went to college at the University of Kansas. *Do you think it's possible that Wetzel would have been on the job for that long if either 'C' or 'D' is true?[/quote]

FLanders,
So what you are saying is that you can only eliminate possiblility "B". *I take your last sentence is sarcasm. *Yeah, the big bully Joe Chapman, NDSU and the Republican party would have removed this so called writer a long time ago.
My point again.....this whole issue is politically motivated and is backed by all the losers to create a problem for the university that is enjoying success due to the hard work and sacrifice of its employees, students, alumni and friends. *

Flanders
07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
As a matter of fact, there aren't any AP writers that live in Grand Forks. There aren't any that write for the Herald (which is a bizarre notion, AP writers write for the AP, not individual newspapers. There stories are taken off the wire and ran in various newspapers. They are not employed by the newspapers) And Dale Wetzel is not a UND graduate.

Flanders....
Do you think all the people making a big deal about this matter are interested in improving the university system or hanging Joe Chapman? Seems there are a lot of UND alumni and supporters who are crying foul just so they can take high flying NDSU down a few notches. Why don't the folks at UND concentrate on fixing their own messes or improving their own lot, rather than trying to always keep up with or destroy NDSU? This whole thing is motivated by minority Democrats, whiners at UND and the dwindling and failing small ND colleges. Potts sounds like a poor loser. Maybe UND can grant him an honorary degree.

Other than Kupchella, provide me with ONE UND alumni or supporter who has said anything about this matter. Just one. And remember, the Attorney General of ND, Wayne Stenjhem, is a UND graduate. Seems to me that he has sided with Chapman on this. My point is, your conspiracy theories are crazy.

NanoBison
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
E. All of the above.

Guys, can we keep the "politics" of Republican/Democrat out of it. :D
(I consider myself Democrat, but support Chapman and NDSU, while being heavily against Potts)

Bison_Dan
07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
A. *A UND graduate or supporter.
B. *Grew up or went to college in one of the smaller ND towns.
C. *Has ties to some of the people against Chapman and NDSU.
D. *Is a Democrat or leans towards the minority political power in ND.
E. *All of the above.
In this time when almost all issues polarize people it would not surprize me if this this issue is politically motivated and backed. *

Guys, can we keep the "politics" of Republican/Democrat out of it. *:D
(I consider myself Democrat, but support Chapman and NDSU, while being heavily against Potts)

Then you need to tell that to all the democrats that on jumping on Hoven for political reasons.

NanoBison
07-11-2006, 02:16 AM
I just saw John Q. Paulsen on Fox news at 9pm stating that the listing of the "demands for a larger house and higher salary by president Chapman" refered to in the AG Stenjehm "Opinion" report are false. I also saw a clip of the guy running against Stenjehm. Holy crap, he talks about 1 inch per minute. Vvvvvveeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy sssssllllooooowwwwww aaaannnndddddd bbboooorrrrrriiiinnnnggggg.........

:P

lakesbison
07-11-2006, 05:04 AM
POST OF THE YEAR!!

BULLETIN THIS!!

*************Do you think all the people making a big deal about this matter are interested in improving the university system or hanging Joe Chapman? Seems there are a lot of UND alumni and supporters who are crying foul just so they can take high flying NDSU down a few notches. Why don't the folks at UND concentrate on fixing their own messes or improving their own lot, rather than trying to always keep up with or destroy NDSU? This whole thing is motivated by minority Democrats, whiners at UND and the dwindling and failing small ND colleges. Potts sounds like a poor loser. Maybe UND can grant him an honorary degree. *********************8

A----FREAKIN---MEN

that post should be in the front page of the FARGO FOOLUM.... they just want GF vs FARGO thing.. it sells them papers...... and their horrible subscription renewals depict that..

Futhermore. .BISON and NDSU supporters.. MUST rise above this..... its imperative that we STAND behind Chapman/NDSU!!

NanoBison
07-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Actually the Forum just posted a new article which shines a better light on Chapman.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132639&section=News

I still don't think he did anything wrong, other than not conform to the status quo (that's popular in ND) ... ::)