PDA

View Full Version : New Scheels store grand opening

TheBisonator
07-01-2006, 10:57 PM
I went to the new Fargo Scheels superstore today, and let's just say I was AMAZED. That place is basically a giant department store. Real classy, too. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in Fargo, and not some classy mall in Minneapolis, or the MOA. :D The thing that I like the most about it is that the Bison apparel completely dominates the Sioux Apparel. The UND stuff is hidden in a corner of the college display behind the Bison stuff, and the NDSU merch is what you see to your front-right when you first walk in. There are neon NDSU logo signs, and old banners from Dacotah Field hang from the ceiling. Also around are new signs talking about the new logo to be unveiled on July 11. Customers walking into the store know right away that the NDSU theme is dominant. I would say from observations that between NDSU and UND stuff, it's about 65-35 NDSU, which is around the same ratio for UND stuff in the GF Scheels store, so I figure that's fair. *

I talked to the college apparel manager there, and he told me that it was his job to see that NDSU apparel outsells UND apparel at the Fargo store, because the majority of college apparel is NDSU stuff. Also, the NDSU Hall of Fame is just ASTOUNDING. I almost had a tear in my eye looking at it. It was a huge framed wall with old memorabilia, ACTUAL DII championship trophies from various sports, and a huge graphic timeline. Also included in the timeline is DI-related events.

Overall, this place ROCKS. I hope every one of you get to see it for yourself.

roadwarrior
07-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the tour!

It was funny seeing in today's paper that two guys were camping out in the parking since thursday waiting for the doors to open :-?

I'll check it out the next time I am in Fargo. Probably August 31st :)

sambini
07-02-2006, 02:16 AM
IT WAS AWESOME. PLEASE GET YOUR NDSU MERCHANDISE AT SCHEELS. THEY HAVE GOT SOME GRAT STUFF. AND REMBER TO SUPPORT THOSE THAT BACK THE HERD. THEY ARE A CIRCLE OF CHAMPION TEAMMAKER+++++++++++++++++++

Hammerhead
07-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Cool! I'm going to be in Fargo next week for a high school reunion and could use some new NDSU garb. Do they carry any MSU-Mhd apparel for my wife or will I have to go across the river?

Here's a link to the new Scheels store Web site:
http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ScheelsStoreView?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&lan gId=-1&storeLoc=FA

NanoBison
07-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm sure they carry MSUM and Concordia apparel as well, but I was completely bombbarded by NDSU right when I walked in the door. It was certainly a nice change from the old Scheels which had 50/50 of NDSU and "you know who"...

I'm heading back there tomorrow. I was there for 2 hours and barely saw everything...

imabison
07-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Cool! I'm going to be in Fargo next week for a high school reunion and could use some new NDSU garb. Do they carry any MSU-Mhd apparel for my wife or will I have to go across the river?

Here's a link to the new Scheels store Web site:
http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ScheelsStoreView?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&lan gId=-1&storeLoc=FA

I took a short trip thru the story yesterday, and yes they do have a section of MSU-Moorhead apparel.

Very impresssed with the store.

sambini
07-02-2006, 09:47 PM
THEY HAVE YOU COVERED AT SCHEELS++++++++++++++

Hammerhead
07-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Cool. I need some more NDSU T-shirts to fill out my wardrobe. Funny thing -- I was browsing through my high school year book from 1986 and there is a picture of me wearing a 1985 Bison football national championship T-shirt.

BraxtonT
07-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Cool. *I need some more NDSU T-shirts to fill out my wardrobe. *Funny thing -- I was browsing through my high school year book from 1986 and there is a picture of me wearing a 1985 Bison football national championship T-shirt.

That's nothing. I am still wearing an '86 championship shirt under my softball jersey!! 8-)

sambini
07-03-2006, 03:25 AM
MINE DON'T FIT++++++++

kchats
07-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Mine(1986 Championship T-shirt) fell apart from too much wear. * :-[

NanoBison
07-03-2006, 06:41 AM
I just bought my 2 1/2 year old nephew a NDSU jersey at the new Scheels today. The kid loved it so much when it came time to head to bed and get into his pj's he said "mommy my shirt, mommy". He's still wearing it right now. I've got the great makings of a future Bison fan here people! Can't wait to take him to some of the football games!

;)

tcbison
07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I will be driving thru Fargo tomorrow and hope to stop in for a little while. I can't wait to see the NDSU Hall of Fame and show it to my fiance.

BisonMav
07-03-2006, 05:54 PM
I still have a 1983 Championship Hat, Pin, and Wendy's Mug. :)

From the old Wendy's on 10th St

IL_Bison
07-04-2006, 12:32 AM
going to the new Scheels on Saturday, sounds like it is all it was projected to be and more. Can't wait to buy some new apparel for my first Bison FB season in Fargo since '01!

Bisonguy
07-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I went to Scheel's today, and wow, is there a nice selection of Bison apparel!

The Bison hall of fame is a nice touch to the store.

Make sure to head right immediately after you enter the store. :)

TheDoctor
07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
My 2 1/2 year old is obcessed with Thundar. *Every time he sees a logo, he yells "Mundar". *I thought his brain was going to blow when we walked into the new Scheels. "Mundar, Mundar, Mundar"! *He was soooooo excited! *He even said it 12 times on the ferris wheel, as the carriage in front of us had a logo on it. *He sat on a life size Bison (around the neck) and got his picture taken and then stood with the cartoonish Thundar next to the ferris wheel for another picture. *I have to admit, even I was impressed and over whelmed. *Nice work Scheels! *:D *

kchats
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
It'll be nice for us out of staters when the website has apparel on the link. Nothing there yet still under construction. I order most of my stuff through the Varsity Mart and I know it isn't the lowest priced place to buy things.

Maybe GoBison.com needs to add links to stores that sell Bison apparel including the Varsity Mart.

RxBison
07-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Maybe GoBison.com needs to add links to stores that sell Bison apparel including the Varsity Mart.

They already do have a link called MERCHANDISE along the top that takes you to the Varsity Mart's website.

kchats
07-05-2006, 04:13 AM
That doesn't help much. I know the Varsity Mart's website. I said a link for all national stores that sell the apparel as well as a link to the local stores like Scheels that sell Bison gear. If a national chain has a contract with NDSU to sell their stuff they should be listed so fans and alumni can purchase apparel there and help NDSU in future negotiations with the national chain. I also think the Varsity Mart is a bit limited in choices, whereas national stores and stores like Scheels will have much more to choose from.

Trimmy
07-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Anyone see those mini-NDSU golf bags? They were cool, but what would you use them for?

insane_ponderer
07-05-2006, 12:41 PM
That doesn't help much. *I know the Varsity Mart's website. *I said a link for all national stores that sell the apparel as well as a link to the local stores like Scheels that sell Bison gear. *If a national chain has a contract with NDSU to sell their stuff they should be listed so fans and alumni can purchase apparel there and help NDSU in future negotiations with the national chain. *I also think the Varsity Mart is a bit limited in choices, whereas national stores and stores like Scheels will have much more to choose from.

I think it is important, if you can, to get your apparel and NDSU stuff at the varsity mart. *All of that profit money goes back into the University. *If I remember correctly that was how the Minard addition got paid for a few years ago. *Same way with textbooks. *Instead of letting a Barnes and Noble come in and take the profits for the company, the varsity mart handles all of it and all the profits remain on campus.

Herd_Mentality
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
I guess some of the touristy stuff was cool, but all in all I was a little disappointed. I was expecting more selection in a lot of the departments, but saw nothing like that with the exception of womens' apparel, home furnishings, kayak/canoes and NDSU apparel.

A great looking store overall, but I've always shopped at Scheels because it's not like Cabella's, Dick's, Bass Pro Shops etc... Now it's a tourist destination as well.

TheBisonator
07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I guess some of the touristy stuff was cool, but all in all I was a little disappointed. *I was expecting more selection in a lot of the departments, but saw nothing like that with the exception of womens' apparel, home furnishings, kayak/canoes and NDSU apparel.

A great looking store overall, but I've always shopped at Scheels because it's not like Cabella's, Dick's, Bass Pro Shops etc... *Now it's a tourist destination as well.

But I think Fargo-Moorhead needed a place like a Cabela's or a Dick's.

And it also adds another point of interest landmark for the city.

Junior
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I guess some of the touristy stuff was cool, but all in all I was a little disappointed. *I was expecting more selection in a lot of the departments, but saw nothing like that with the exception of womens' apparel, home furnishings, kayak/canoes and NDSU apparel.

A great looking store overall, but I've always shopped at Scheels because it's not like Cabella's, Dick's, Bass Pro Shops etc... *Now it's a tourist destination as well.

Actually Scheels has been kind of been a tourist trap for years. *Just not in Fargo. *Look at the Scheels store in the Coral Ridge Mall in Iowa City. That store opened in 1998 about 300 yards off interstate 80 with a huge sign drawing people off the interstate. *Looks very similar to the pictures of the Fargo store but only about half the size. *I think the Coral Ridge store is 100,000 square feet and is the only multi-level store in the whole mall.

I'm glad Fargo finally got a flagship Scheels store and Scheels is a sucessful business, but will it be too much. *I hope it is not like other large retailers who have everything but you can't find anything because they put up numerous distractions to try to get you to buy other merchandise and trap you in the store. *

Yeah, good luck finding any NDSU stuff in the Iowa City store. *It is all yellow and black.

bisonranch
07-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Sioux Falls has a pretty sweet Scheels too. Next year Bismarck will have a new one too, but they're taking over the old Target building so it won't be the 2 storie variety. Only ~100000 ft^2 or so but still an improvement.

sambini
07-06-2006, 12:48 AM
That doesn't help much. *I know the Varsity Mart's website. *I said a link for all national stores that sell the apparel as well as a link to the local stores like Scheels that sell Bison gear. *If a national chain has a contract with NDSU to sell their stuff they should be listed so fans and alumni can purchase apparel there and help NDSU in future negotiations with the national chain. *I also think the Varsity Mart is a bit limited in choices, whereas national stores and stores like Scheels will have much more to choose from.

I think it is important, if you can, to get your apparel and NDSU stuff at the varsity mart. *All of that profit money goes back into the University. *If I remember correctly that was how the Minard addition got paid for a few years ago. *Same way with textbooks. *Instead of letting a Barnes and Noble come in and take the profits for the company, the varsity mart handles all of it and all the profits remain on campus.
Gciity, Scheels gave the *university a milllion dollars for the new business school building. They are also a Circle of Champion Teammaker. So support those that back the HERD.

ndsubison
07-06-2006, 01:47 AM
I also just visited the new Scheels yesterday. I was especially impressed with not only the Bison Hall Of Fame, but also the vast amount of Bison merchandise available. The Sioux gear was conveniently located "around the corner", as it should be. I really liked the Under Armor/NDSU gear. Now that's cool. I also liked the "ladies" Bison FB jerseys, but not nearly as much as my lady liked them. I bought her one on the spot. Here's to tailgating this fall and watching an undefeated Bison homestand for 2006. 8-) 8-) 8-)

TheBisonator
07-06-2006, 01:53 AM
I also just visited the new Scheels yesterday. *I was especially impressed with not only the Bison Hall Of Fame, but also the vast amount of Bison merchandise available. *The Sioux gear was conveniently located "around the corner", as it should be. *I really liked the Under Armor/NDSU gear. *Now that's cool. *I also liked the "ladies" Bison FB jerseys, but not nearly as much as my lady liked them. *I bought her one on the spot. *Here's to tailgating this fall and watching an undefeated Bison homestand for 2006. 8-) 8-) 8-)

That's what I liked about it too, that the UND stuff was hidden in a back corner.

Like I said, out of the college apparel display pad that had only NDSU and UND stuff, 65 percent of it was NDSU.

Another section about the size of UND's was reserved for miscellaneous colleges. They had a nice MSU-Moorhead section.

mebison
07-06-2006, 01:28 PM

Actually Scheels has been kind of been a tourist trap for years. *Just not in Fargo. *Look at the Scheels store in the Coral Ridge Mall in Iowa City. That store opened in 1998 about 300 yards off interstate 80 with a huge sign drawing people off the interstate. *Looks very similar to the pictures of the Fargo store but only about half the size. *I think the Coral Ridge store is 100,000 square feet and is the only multi-level store in the whole mall.

I'm glad Fargo finally got a flagship Scheels store and Scheels is a sucessful business, but will it be too much. *I hope it is not like other large retailers who have everything but you can't find anything because they put up numerous distractions to try to get you to buy other merchandise and trap you in the store. *

Yeah, good luck finding any NDSU stuff in the Iowa City store. *It is all yellow and black.

They name their sewer companies after the Hawkeyes down here. Now that's loyalty...I think?

http://www.hawkeyesewer.com/index.html

Junior
07-06-2006, 05:33 PM
OFF TOPIC

I once had a person from Iowa City say to me, "Hey, you are from South Dakota aren't you." *I said "No, North Dakota" *They replied back "Oh, ND SD, same difference" *

I looked at them and said "Yea, you're right Iowa, Illinois same difference" ;D

TriCollegeBison
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I was in the new Scheels today. The NDSU area was full of people but I couldn't find anybody shopping over by the UND apparal. Oh, and try the fudge. ;)

sambini
07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
The fudge is awesome+++++++++

bincitysioux
07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I strolled through the new Scheels store today, myself, and I must say I was impressed with the NDSU Hall of Fame (as impressed as a die hard Sioux fan could be that is ;) ). I thought it was very nice. I was also impressed with not only the NDSU apparel section, but also the UND and the overall selection of all the colleges there. Nice to have a place in the area with so much variety.

On a related note, has anyone ever been to the "Custom College Shop" in the Mall of America? I was there for the first time this week and I was quite impressed with that place. Apparel from every Minnesota college is represented and many of the smaller regional schools as well including NDSU, UND, UNI, Montana, Montana St., etc. It was kind of a fun store to stroll through.

Tatanka
07-09-2006, 01:38 AM
New Fargo store pictures are up on the Scheels web site (http://www.scheels.com). Bison HOF picture (https://www.scheelssports.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/stores/FA/Pic09.jpg)is sweet although it doesn't do the display justice IMO.

pmp6nl
07-12-2006, 03:40 AM
I guess some of the touristy stuff was cool, but all in all I was a little disappointed. I was expecting more selection in a lot of the departments, but saw nothing like that with the exception of womens' apparel, home furnishings, kayak/canoes and NDSU apparel.

A great looking store overall, but I've always shopped at Scheels because it's not like Cabella's, Dick's, Bass Pro Shops etc... Now it's a tourist destination as well.

Actually Scheels has been kind of been a tourist trap for years. Just not in Fargo. Look at the Scheels store in the Coral Ridge Mall in Iowa City. That store opened in 1998 about 300 yards off interstate 80 with a huge sign drawing people off the interstate. Looks very similar to the pictures of the Fargo store but only about half the size. I think the Coral Ridge store is 100,000 square feet and is the only multi-level store in the whole mall.

I'm glad Fargo finally got a flagship Scheels store and Scheels is a sucessful business, but will it be too much. I hope it is not like other large retailers who have everything but you can't find anything because they put up numerous distractions to try to get you to buy other merchandise and trap you in the store.

Yeah, good luck finding any NDSU stuff in the Iowa City store. It is all yellow and black.

Actually I live less then 45 minutes from that store... Last time I was there they actually had Bison gear... Obviously not as much as hawkeye.

[quote author=Junior link=1151794673/15#24 date=1152140995]

They name their sewer companies after the Hawkeyes down here. Now that's loyalty...I think?

http://www.hawkeyesewer.com/index.html

Actually thre is a hawkeye everything down here.

TheBisonator
07-12-2006, 03:49 AM
My main man Troy Goergen was on both WDAY news at 10 and KXJB news at 10 tonight.

Props to Troy, who has done very well at snowballing the Bison momentum since the DI move!!!

pmp6nl
07-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Its too bad this store is gonna get its ass kicked by the Sheels the will be building in Nevada...
http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ScheelsStoreView?catalogId=10101&storeId=10001&lan gId=-1&storeLoc=Reno

250,000 sqft... holy crap

Bisonguy
07-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Its too bad this store is gonna get its ass kicked by the Sheels the will be building in Nevada...
http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ScheelsStoreView?catalogId=10101&storeId=10001&lan gId=-1&storeLoc=Reno

250,000 sqft... holy crap

It's only about 25% larger than the one in Fargo. ::) :D

NanoBison
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
But that's 1/4th the size of West Acres.... :o

bison242424
07-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm checking it out this weekend. I've heard it's pretty impressive.

I hope I don't melt before I get there. It's gonna be HOOOT! :o

Hammerhead
07-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I was pretty impressed by the store, although I had a hard time finding any NDSU or MSUM merchanise bigger than XL, but still managed to buy a few shirts. The Scheels bike jersey was pretty cool and I'd probably be the only person in Oregon with one, but ended up passing on that.

I had to make a trip up to the Varsity Mart to find some more shirts and another license plate frame. Is the student union ever not under construction?

TheBisonator
07-22-2006, 09:42 PM
I was pretty impressed by the store, although I had a hard time finding any NDSU or MSUM merchanise bigger than XL, but still managed to buy a few shirts. *The Scheels bike jersey was pretty cool and I'd probably be the only person in Oregon with one, but ended up passing on that.

I had to make a trip up to the Varsity Mart to find some more shirts and another license plate frame. *Is the student union ever not under construction?

The Union is gonna be under construction for at least another year. It's the largest construction project in the university's history. But when it's done, it'll be TITS.

insane_ponderer
07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I was pretty impressed by the store, although I had a hard time finding any NDSU or MSUM merchanise bigger than XL, but still managed to buy a few shirts. *The Scheels bike jersey was pretty cool and I'd probably be the only person in Oregon with one, but ended up passing on that.

I had to make a trip up to the Varsity Mart to find some more shirts and another license plate frame. *Is the student union ever not under construction?

The Union is gonna be under construction for at least another year. It's the largest construction project in the university's history. But when it's done, it'll be TITS.

You got that right. I am not sure if you can find a floor plan online anywhere, but student govt got to see them a few years back. The increase in ballroom space and dining space is going to be incredible and they are finally moving some of those offices like campus attractions and student govt down to the main floor instead of hiding them away upstairs.

roadwarrior
07-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Memorial Union plans:

http://www.ndsu.edu/memorial_union/expansion/index.php

Wilhelm_Klink_1972
07-23-2006, 06:04 PM
New Fargo store pictures are up on the Scheels web site (http://www.scheels.com). *Bison HOF picture (https://www.scheelssports.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/stores/FA/Pic09.jpg)is sweet although it doesn't do the display justice IMO.
Hall of Fame is only missing one picture, in my opinion, and that is a picture of Joe Roller. He probably typified Bison Pride more than anybody else. Hopefully one can be added.

Bison13
07-23-2006, 11:24 PM
How are they going to add to the timeline?

Gothmog
07-28-2006, 09:02 PM
New Fargo store pictures are up on the Scheels web site (http://www.scheels.com). *Bison HOF picture (https://www.scheelssports.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/stores/FA/Pic09.jpg)is sweet although it doesn't do the display justice IMO.
Hall of Fame is only missing one picture, in my opinion, and that is a picture of Joe Roller. He probably typified Bison Pride more than anybody else. Hopefully one can be added.

I was at the Old Fieldhouse the night Joe Roller punched out a Sioux basketball player (What was that guy's name?). I'd love to see an action shot of that.

sambini
07-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I watched on tv. Jim Adelson doing the play by play. Also talk to Scheels Wilhelm about a picture of Joe.

Hammerhead
07-31-2006, 03:34 AM
I wish we had fast food outlets on campus like the ones shown in the Student Union perspectives. The pizza pockets and cheeseburgers got old after a while.

NanoBison
07-31-2006, 07:02 AM
I just hope the NDSU Dining Services doesn't hold a monopoly on the Food Court and let's chains come in to serve the students. Only having Taco Bell and NDSU Crapy Food (Pizza Express, Subhut or some other stupid name thought up by a lunch lady) got old really quick.

Hoagies and Grinders, Hoagies and Grinders, Navy Beans, Navy Beans, Meatloaf Sandwich
Sloppy Joe, Sloppy, Sloppy Joe...................

:D

Actually I think they should privatize the whole operation like they do at MSUM. I ate there a few times, visiting friends, and they had like 8 choices of HOT meals to choose from....

sambini
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I had relatives in town from OMAHA. They liked the new SCHEELS.

Dakota
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM

I was at the Old Fieldhouse the night Joe Roller punched out a Sioux basketball player (What was that guy's name?). I'd love to see an action shot of that.
Joe Grubisich was the Sioux BB player's name and to set the record straight Joe Roller regretted the incident and went to the hospital the next morning to apologize in person. If you question the accuracy of all this Joe and I played on the same team 68 and 69, played softball for Sports Bar 72 and 73, he was my assistant coach for one year in Wahpeton at the high school 77-78, and I was honored to be a pallbearer at his funeral. Joe died from a long and courageous battle with Lou Gehrigs' disease. In my opinion if there was to be a prototype BISON it would have been Joe Roller. His son Matt later played a huge roll on later Bison teams under Coach Rocky Hager(Rocko to his real friends).

sambini
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
What about Mike Whetstone?

Dakota
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
What about Mike Whetstone?
Another Bison anchor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sambini
08-03-2006, 03:52 AM
THE MEANING OF BISON PRIDE WAS MIKE WHETSTONE. AND BACK TO THE THREAD I LOVE THE NEW SCHEELS AND THE BISON AREA++++++++++++

Dakota
08-04-2006, 03:52 AM
THE MEANING OF BISON PRIDE WAS MIKE WHETSTONE. AND BACK TO THE THREAD I LOVE THE NEW SCHEELS AND THE BISON AREA++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bison13
08-05-2006, 11:33 PM
I was in the New scheels today buying some BISON clothes for my girlfriend and noticed that they bison womens clothing is mixed in with the sioux apparel. That definatly made me go to confession since I felt I had sinned. I believe they should seperate them somehow by making the sioux section just a little bit smaller......why not?

sambini
08-06-2006, 03:17 AM
They will get it worked out.

SDbison
08-06-2006, 03:18 AM
I was in the New scheels today buying some BISON clothes for my girlfriend and noticed that they bison womens clothing is mixed in with the sioux apparel. That definatly made me go to confession since I felt I had sinned. I believe they should seperate them somehow by making the sioux section just a little bit smaller......why not?
Sounds like a good idea to me. *At the same time can they put up a wall so I don't have to look at the Siouxage stuff or the ridiculous people supporting that strange university. *Actually I think the UND stuff should be in a separate room kind of like the X-rated tapes at a video store. *

sambini
08-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Maybe they should out law it . Like a smoking ban

SDbison
08-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Maybe they should out law it . Like a smoking ban
Like a "No Siouxage Zone"? ;D ;D ;D

sambini
08-06-2006, 07:09 PM
+++++++++++++++