PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the city for a bit.

Pages : [1] 2

TheBisonator
08-24-2005, 03:19 AM
I wanted to start a new thread regarding all the development going on in Fargo-Moorhead. I figured because the city is growing faster than ever, that there should be a place to discuss any new things you see being built in the city, like new restaurants, hotels, golf courses, neighbourhoods, etc. If there's anything you've noticed from the news or from driving somewhere and seeing a sign, chime into the thread.

Here's some new things I noticed just this evening while I was driving around (I like to drive - It relieves stress:)):

-There's a new Luther Selland car dealership of some kind being constructed right to the east of Family Ford on 32nd Ave. and I-29. They're working on digging up a foundation hole right now.

-The Osgood development is going along much faster than I ever imagined. I was driving down 40th Ave. between Sheyenne St. and 45th St. South, and there's rows and rows of houses sprouting up along the south side of the street.

-They're building a Hornbacher's and a First International Bank on the corner of 45th Street and 40th Ave. South. Could this be a catalyst for more commercial development on that corner??

-That "new urbanist" development over on 40th Ave. South and 42nd St. is starting to be worked on foundation-wise.

Anything else you have seen or heard about??

roadwarrior
08-24-2005, 03:41 AM
When I am back in Fargo and drive anywhere south of I-94, I have to continually ask myself what city I am in ???

As a former north Fargo resident and now a frequent visitor to the Fargodome and BSA, it is amazing to see what is happening in south and southwest Fargo.

Flintstone
08-24-2005, 03:45 AM
New Integrity Windows plant in West Fargo. New RDO Equipment on I-94 in Moorhead. Another addition at North HS. A new middle school on 13th ave. A new elementary school on 45th st & 52nd ave south. Also a new church near the new elementary. All sorts of new projects in the Fargo Industrial park. Numerous projects at the colleges and universities. A new addition at Cass Co. Jail. These are just off the top of my head.

roadwarrior
08-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Two new hotels going up on or near 19th ave NORTH !!

TheBisonator
08-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Also, a new high school will soon be built on 76th Avenue South. When my family moved out of Fargo in 1991, I never would've imagined then that there would be a 76th Avenue South in the future.

roadwarrior
08-24-2005, 03:51 AM
I am pretty sure that the Selland dealership in south Moorhead will be moving to the 32nd ave location in Fargo.

TheBisonator
08-24-2005, 03:52 AM
Two new hotels going up on or near 19th ave NORTH !!

Yep. The Candlewood and Homewood Suites are desperately needed for the NDSU/Airport area. Great place to stay the night before a Bison game if you're coming in from out of town.

Bisonguy
08-24-2005, 03:58 AM
When I am back in Fargo and drive anywhere south of I-94, I have to continually ask myself what city I am in ???

As a former north Fargo resident and now a frequent visitor to the Fargodome and BSA, it is amazing to see what is happening in south and southwest Fargo.

As a current north Fargo resident, I ask myself the same question whenever I'm south of 32nd ave. I remember as a youngster in the early 80's riding my bike down to 32nd. ave., which was a gravel road at the time. A few houses and First Assembly were the only buildings out there.

I've noticed at least one new street with services going in the Industrial Park, to the west of 45th, just north of the dump. Cardinal IG is supposedly going to have a rather large expansion in the near future, as well.

The 13th ave. area is nearly all sprawled out. Once the Scheels All Sport is near completion, I'm sure the 45th. area will fill in. Then a new retail sector will have to be established, possibly 45th and 40th or wherever the heck Wal-Mart builds their new store.

Note to FARGO- Build some more stuff around the Fargodome (a couple nice restaurants by the new NDSU hotel would be great!).

TheBisonator
08-24-2005, 04:09 AM
As a current north Fargo resident, I ask myself the same question whenever I'm south of 32nd ave. I remember as a youngster in the early 80's riding my bike down to 32nd. ave., which was a gravel road at the time. A few houses and First Assembly were the only buildings out there.

I've noticed at least one new street with services going in the Industrial Park, to the west of 45th, just north of the dump. Cardinal IG is supposedly going to have a rather large expansion in the near future, as well.

The 13th ave. area is nearly all sprawled out. Once the Scheels All Sport is near completion, I'm sure the 45th. area will fill in. Then a new retail sector will have to be established, possibly 45th and 40th or wherever the heck Wal-Mart builds their new store.

Note to FARGO- Build some more stuff around the Fargodome (a couple nice restaurants by the new NDSU hotel would be great!).

Probably the new retail area will be on the corner (both sides) of 52nd Ave. South and I-29 just north of Frontier, where they were originally going to build the new high school.

Bisonguy
08-24-2005, 04:13 AM
LOL- I also remember when you couldn't go from Fargo to West Fargo on 13th without driving on a gravel road. ;D ;D

TheBisonator
08-24-2005, 04:22 AM
LOL- I also remember when you couldn't go from Fargo to West Fargo on 13th without driving on a gravel road. *;D ;D

When I was a little boy, my family lived in a brand-new apartment building in West Fargo almost right between West Acres and Sheyenne Street. It was literally a lone apartment building in the middle of nowhere. In our apartment on one side, you would see acres of dry field, and then West Acres Mall towards the horizon. And from the other side, you would see acres of empty field and Sheyenne Street in West Fargo on the other side. Back then, there was a sign that said 'West Fargo - 2 mi." Also, 13th Avenue was a paved 2-lane road back then. My mother used to take morning jogs to the interior of West Fargo along 13th Avenue, and there was nothing there along her run.

roadwarrior
08-24-2005, 04:27 AM
That old gravel road on 13th ave south was total luxury compared to what used to be west of NDSU on 12th ave north!

Tuk
08-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Also, a new high school will soon be built on 76th Avenue South. When my family moved out of Fargo in 1991, I never would've imagined then that there would be a 76th Avenue South in the future.
Since there is already a Fargo South, what will this new HS be called? If this new school is south of Fargo South, does that make Fargo South High become Fargo Central High? How about Fargo South High-South Campus? :D

Ok, I am done being stupid... ;D

Bisonguy
08-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Since there is already a Fargo South, what will this new HS be called? *If this new school is south of Fargo South, does that make Fargo South High become Fargo Central High? *How about Fargo South High-South Campus? * :D

Ok, I am done being stupid... * ;D

Fargo More South High School ::) ::) ::) ::)

Uni_of_No_Diks
08-24-2005, 05:00 AM
Heres' my problem.. all those places SOUTH and SOUTHWEST of Fargo.. are built on basically a MARSH.. that history shows.. has been a floodzone... and of course... a marsh... a wetland.

soo when the next flood comes.. I dont want to hear these people whine and CRY out there... cuz I don't think they are too bright to be building out there in a MARSh!!

Fargo is growing.. but what really need to grow is the MENTATLITY of the PEOPLE.... the business community is SOO conservative.. people are soo old school.. we need to step it up!

Furthermore... the POLICE in this town S U C K!

I got pulled over for avoiding a traffic light *It was backed up big time, so I drove thru the meritcare parking lot ( NOT SPEEDING!) and they gave me a ticket.. and had 3... 3... 3 freakin cops as backup... I mean.. COME ON.. give me a BREAK!

With the PARTY PATROL and cruising NDSU.. LET STUDENTS BE STUDENTS>... as long as they aint driving.. WHO GIVES A RATS @SS.... I wish people that lived around NDSU would be more understanding and tolerable as well.. or MOVE!

its a DIVISION I college now.. we need DIVISION I partying!! ha ha

GCWaters
08-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Rumor has it that Applebee's and Doolittle's are both looking at 19th ave. north locations....

BisonCountry
08-24-2005, 05:08 AM
How many Applebee's do we really need?!?!?!

I would much rather see a local sport's bar/restaurant
type of place open up there similar to Reeb's (minus the law troubles).

Bison_Dan
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
I remember in college driving on a dirt path through wheat fields to get to West Acres (they were building it). How about the wood bridge on 12th av by NDSU? I wish I would have purchased some land back then!

tony
08-24-2005, 02:42 PM
How many Applebee's do we really need?!?!?!

Are you talking about in Fargo or in the whole world? Er... guess it doesn't matter, my answer is the same for either question. :)

BISON_PRIDE
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
There are signs up near the air museum on 19th ave. N. for two restaurant pads. How about a Denny's or a Perkins?

TheBisonator
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I think another Perkins-style place might be needed for 19th Avenue North. I'm also surprised that up until now, they only had built ONE hotel within walking distance of the airport. It's weird that the developers didn't think to build more hotels around 19th Ave. north until now. It's just such a convenient location, right next to the campus and all.

go_bison
08-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Heres' my problem.. all those places SOUTH and SOUTHWEST of Fargo.. are built on basically a MARSH.. that history shows.. has been a floodzone... and of course... a marsh... a wetland.

soo when the next flood comes.. I dont want to hear these people whine and CRY out there... cuz I don't think they are too bright to be building out there in a MARSh!!

Fargo is growing.. but what really need to grow is the MENTATLITY of the PEOPLE.... the business community is SOO *conservative.. people are soo old school.. we need to step it up!

Furthermore... *the POLICE in this town S U C K!

I got pulled over for avoiding a traffic light *It was backed up big time, so I drove thru the meritcare parking lot ( NOT SPEEDING!) *and they gave me a ticket.. and had 3... 3... 3 *freakin cops as backup... I mean.. COME ON.. give me a BREAK!

With the PARTY PATROL and cruising NDSU.. LET STUDENTS BE STUDENTS>... as long as they aint driving.. WHO GIVES A RATS @SS.... * I wish people that lived around NDSU would be more understanding and tolerable as well.. or MOVE!

its a DIVISION I college now.. we need DIVISION I partying!! ha ha

Yeah that use to be a problem (Marsh/wetland). But now there is the Sheyenne Diversion. I have home in Eagle Run. We are in the 500 year flood plain and we already saw the 500 year flood ('97, I was safe and sound on the 3rd floor of Thompson Hall) so I should be safe in my home as long as I am alive. I like the location and that all of Fargo is growing that way. Soon it will be the center of town.

JBB
08-24-2005, 05:18 PM
I lived on the Shyenne river most of my young life. My mother invested a lot of her political time prior to being Mayor of West Fargo working on the shyenne diversion. Eventually as Mayor she saw the diversion built. This single project has saved millions in flood damage and control, flood insurance premiums as well as increased property value.

This project leaves all of west fargo out of the flood plain. Back flow dikes have been built on the North, I-29 protects from the east and the diversion splits from the shyenne south of Horace blocking flooding from the south. This is what spurred all the development along the shyenne between WF and Horace. The problem with marshy or wet soils is minimal now that the flooding is under control.

The most amazing thing is the addition south of west fargo on the horace road. this thing popped up out of nowhere, in the former flood zone, and is going to creat a neighborhood bigger than the entire town of West Fargo that I grew up in!

go_bison
08-24-2005, 05:36 PM
It is amazing the whole area between WF and Horace. I lived in Horace about 6 - 7 years ago and I remember there being only a few houses along the road on County Rd 17. Now it is just one continuous city. (thanks to the Sheyenne diversion). I am also glad to hear about the Hornbachers going up and the other businiesses in the area. Hopefully more will be coming soon! Anybody know what businesses are going up in that strip mall just on the north side of Eagle Run?

BISONATOR
08-26-2005, 12:42 AM
KUM N GO I workfor thier distribuitor . Should be opening soon. there will be other stores as well.

TheBisonator
08-27-2005, 04:20 AM
They just opened a new HOM Furniture store on 45th St. and I-94.

Also, I read a while ago that there's a new Petsmart store going up in West Fargo between Menards and Old Navy.

There's also a 4-story condominium complex being built on the corner of University and 32nd Ave. South.

Bisonguy
08-27-2005, 04:27 AM
Also, I read a while ago that there's a new Petsmart store going up in West Fargo between Menards and Old Navy.

Speaking of pets, WDAY reported last night that there will be a 24hr. animal clinic opening soon near the Kmart on south University. Nice to not have to worry about an on-call system for those of us with pets.

insane_ponderer
08-27-2005, 09:13 PM
this is a little off the current subject but i feel that its definently relevent to the thread...

does anyone else think that the f-m area is maybe letting the whole apt building get out of hand ?

after living in fargo for 6 years it seems that alot of the building efforts are going into either apartments or high end housing, i worry that there isn't as much middle income housing as there should be.

IL_Bison
08-27-2005, 09:43 PM
I agree that the apartment supply is perhaps out of hand. But I think there seems to be an effort toward more affordable single family homes...ie Eid-Co homes and townhomes...although they aren't very unique from neighboring homes.

I haven't lived there in 3 years but visit often, but I think construction on apartments has slowed a bit. RIght?

I was up there a couple weeks ago and I cannot believe how many new business were on 45th by Petro. Bad timing for the road construction I guess.

TheBisonator
08-28-2005, 03:19 AM
I agree that the apartment supply is perhaps out of hand. *But I think there seems to be an effort toward more affordable single family homes...ie Eid-Co homes and townhomes...although they aren't very unique from neighboring homes.

I haven't lived there in 3 years but visit often, but I think construction on apartments has slowed a bit. RIght?

I was up there a couple weeks ago and I cannot believe how many new business were on 45th by Petro. *Bad timing for the road construction I guess.

Actually, most of that stuff on the north half of the intersection has been there for at least 4-5 years (Home Depot, Space Aliens, Wendy's, Subway, etc.) It's the south half of that intersection that has seen the real growth in the past two years or so.

SDbison
08-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Anybody have information on the big Scheels store. How big will it be and when will it be done? Where will it be located? Has ground breaking started? There is a big Scheels store in Sioux Falls that opened a few years ago but I hear the one in Fargo will be much bigger.

Bisonguy
08-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Anybody have information on the big Scheels store. *How big will it be and when will it be done? *Where will it be located? *Has ground breaking started? *There is a big Scheels store in Sioux Falls that opened a few years ago but I hear the one in Fargo will be much bigger.

Good thing I found this for you -http://www.scheelssports.com/store/FAupdates.html

Dang! *thought it was around 160k square feet, including the corporate office, but it's 190k sq. ft. of retail space, with another 60k for the corporate office

I believe the current Scheels All Sport is around 45k sq. ft. and for reference the Best Buy in Fargo is 53k square feet. *

There's already brick on most of the exterior, and would guess that the interior will be worked on over the winter, with the exterior trimmed out in spring. The location of the store is about two blocks south of 13th ave. on 45th St. S.

TheBisonator
08-29-2005, 05:06 PM
The web site hasn't updated the construction photos in 6 1/2 months. I'd rather just drive down the road construction on 45th Street once a week or so to see how it's progressing.

TheBisonator
08-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Also, speaking of that area, does anyone know when someone might develop that huge plot of land across the street from the new Scheels on 45th Street?? It seems like such prime real estate, and should've theoretically filled up almost 10 years ago, but is still vacant.

I think they should build a Costco there (along with other shops). I would be SOOOOO excited if they built a Costco in Fargo.

TheBisonator
09-05-2005, 03:29 AM
I think traffic in the city is getting a lot worse. I was driving down to the Twin Cities this weekend to see my parents, and just getting out of the city was a pain. Driving from the campus down to I-94 on University Avenue took me almost a half an hour. Backed-up traffic at every stop light.

sambini
09-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Been to the Scheels store in Omaha and its huge. Ferris WHEEL INSIDE and I believe Fargo will have one too. But the people in Omaha said the FARGO store will be the one.

TheBisonator
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I wanted to bring up the thread again, cause I read in the Forum recently that they're going to build a new Home Depot in Moorhead by the intersection of 34th Street and I-94. Also included will be a large national grocery store chain (Albertson's??) and two restaurants and a strip mall.

Also, the new Scheels flagship store is coming along nicely. Should be ready to go by April or May, if I'm not mistaken.

I also get a chance to drive by the new Hilton Homewood Suites and Candlewood Inn everyday just adjacent to the Fargodome. They're basically kitty-corner to each other, and they both look like they're working on the finishing phase now. Those hotels are really a great addition to the streetscape, compared with the empty blank field beforehand.

bisonmike
10-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Rumor has it that Applebee's and Doolittle's are both looking at 19th ave. north locations....

I have it on good authority that Doolittles will not be building another location in Fargo for now. They were seriously looking at doing a sort of sports bar themed doolittles by the Dome but after they looked at the numbers they think their money is better spent by expanding into a new market then opening up a new location in F/M. That's too bad, Doolittles food rocks.

Herd_Mentality
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
We seem to always talk about new openings, but I was disappointed to see that Lauermans #2 Saloon has closed its doors.

sambini
10-20-2005, 12:00 AM
++

BisonBacker
10-20-2005, 05:22 AM
What I have heard is that Wal-Mart is one of the Big Box retailers that is planning a SuperCenter in Moorhead and that the existing store will be turned into a Sams Club in Moorheahd. Also Home Depot is going to be opening up a store in South Moorhead as well. This whole area is expanding. According to a Forum article on the population in the FM area, in 50 years they expected Fargo to be in the neighborhood of 250,000 for population. If those numbers are even close to be right this area won't see any slowdown is building construction for a long time. My question is where are they all coming from?????? :o

Gamehunter
10-20-2005, 05:58 AM
What I have heard is that Wal-Mart is one of the Big Box retailers that is planning a SuperCenter in Moorhead and that the existing store will be turned into a Sams Club in Moorheahd. Also Home Depot is going to be opening up a store in South Moorhead as well. This whole area is expanding. According to a Forum article on the population in the FM area, in 50 years they expected Fargo to be in the neighborhood of 250,000 for population. If those numbers are even close to be right this area won't see any slowdown is building construction for a long time. My question is where are they all coming from?????? :o

Have you ever seen a graph of the world population over the last couple thousand years? It is downright scarry.

TheBisonator
10-20-2005, 06:09 AM
What I have heard is that Wal-Mart is one of the Big Box retailers that is planning a SuperCenter in Moorhead and that the existing store will be turned into a Sams Club in Moorheahd. *Also Home Depot is going to be opening up a store in South Moorhead as well. *This whole area is expanding. *According to a Forum article on the population in the FM area, in 50 years they expected Fargo to be in the neighborhood of 250,000 for population. *If those numbers are even close to be right this area won't see any slowdown is building construction for a long time. *My question is where are they all coming from?????? :o

They actually said the city of Fargo proper would be 250,000 in 2050 and the metro area would be at close to HALF A MILLION. (Yes Grand Forks, half a million.) But with wind energy picking up speed, I personally think those numbers could be obtained before 2030.

Things might start picking up even more in Fargo-Moorhead's future.

IowaBison
10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Hell with RFID, I'm sure we'll see a cool million folks in the metro by 2008 :P

BisonBacker
10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes that is the way I read it also. I just wasn't clear in my first post. With Fargo approaching 250,000 by itself and the surrounding area growing as it has I have no doubt that NDSU will likely be IA inside of 15 years. Fargo has the infrastructure to support a IAA school right now, this last fund drive if proof of that. The wannabe's up to the North are just scratching their heads wondering how we can do it yet they can't. Its easy, Ralph is gone folks, your well has dried up and the city of GF isn't growing even close to the pace the FM area is. Like it or not Fargo Moorhead is where its at. GF is not!! ;D

TheBisonator
10-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Yes that is the way I read it also. *I just wasn't clear in my first post. *With Fargo approaching 250,000 by itself and the surrounding area growing as it has I have no doubt that NDSU will likely be IA inside of 15 years. *Fargo has the infrastructure to support a IAA school right now, this last fund drive if proof of that. *The wannabe's up to the North are just scratching their heads wondering how we can do it yet they can't. *Its easy, Ralph is gone folks, your well has dried up and the city of GF isn't growing even close to the pace the FM area is. *Like it or not Fargo Moorhead is where its at. *GF is not!! ;D

You put it right on the money. GF wants to think it can be like us, but with the way Fargo-Moorhead is growing right now, they'll never catch up. GF is a shell of its former self.

sambini
10-26-2005, 01:55 AM
++

newNDSUemployee
10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
In the 1970 census, Grand Forks county had 61.1K people and Cass county 73.7K: Cass was about 20% bigger.

In the 2000 census, GF county had 66.1K and Cass 123.1K: Cass was nearly twice as big.

From 1980-2000, GF county added 9 people and Cass 34,891 according to the census.

sambini
10-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Just shows Fargo is on the up and the Forks is flat...

TheBisonator
10-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Just read in the forum that three new business will be opening up shortly in Eagle Run. That place just sprouted up out of nowhere. Looks like they're gonna have to pave 32nd Avenue South between 45th Street and Sheyenne Street and build that 9th Street/I-94 interchange really soon.

UND92
10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
A thread can't go on to long before you mention GRAND FORKS or UND. I love it. You guys just can't get over us.

JBB
10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Eagle run is part of West Fargo. *The strip of land containing the sewer and water pipes runs from the addition to West Fargo. *That strip was brought into the city providing the connection needed to bring in Eagle Run, which is huge, probably more than 640 acres. *

I dont know what the situation is out there now. *With Fargo, W. Fargo and Horace all fighting to annex land it might all be in one city or the other by now?

mikelsch
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
And obviously you can't get over us

sambini
10-28-2005, 12:57 AM
The Eagle Run area is just growing leaps and bounds. If you haven't driven south of West Fargo go for a drive you will be amazed at the growth.

BisonBacker
10-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I can't even begin to imagine what that area will look like in ten years. Was at a friends house in W. Fargo a couple of weeks ago and the area around him when he built his house about 15 years ago was all fields. Now its nothing but houses in all directions and for a long distance no less. Moorhead has quite a bit going on as well in the last few years. South Moorhead is expanding as is the whole FM area. :)

BISON_PRIDE
10-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of the urban sprawl. Ever since my Biology Proff. at SU pointed out that it's rapidly erasing the best farmland in the world.

BisonBacker
10-30-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm not a big fan of the urban sprawl. *Ever since my Biology Proff. at SU pointed out that it's rapidly erasing the best farmland in the world. *
Maybe so but your not going to stop it and I would rather have this area growing as opposed to what's going on up North.

bisonaudit
11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Sprawl and growth don't necessarily go hand in hand.

There is such a thing as smart growth. Of course as long as the developers and the big box companies buy and sell city and county governments, this isn't going to change.

IowaBison
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
way to pass the buck, bisonaudit.

sprawl has nothing to do with Americans unsatiable appetite for land or large automobiles.

bisonaudit
11-01-2005, 05:23 PM
How is this passing the buck.

It's a free market, individuals cannot be expected to do anything but act in their own best interest.

The interests of the individual are not necessarily the same as the interests of the whole. When these things don't allign, government's role is to place constraints on the market to induce individuals to act in the interest of the whole.

When government doesn't answer to the greater good of the community but to the greater good of a small constituency, that's a problem.

IowaBison
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
We'll there isn't much impetus in Fargo-Moorhead to spur this growth (nor is there in all but a few parts of our nation). I think your argument to establish policy to change this collective behavior is more suited to satisfy your personal values than the community's.

Makes you sound like a confused fascist ;).

bisonaudit
11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
At least you didn't accuse me of rooting for the Sioux ;)

TheBisonator
11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
way to pass the buck, bisonaudit.

sprawl has nothing to do with Americans unsatiable appetite for land or large automobiles.

I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever heard. It has fucking EVERYTHING to do with American's demand for large autos and oil dependency.

And I'm not gonna get into an argument. I just wanted to throw in my 1/50 of a dollar.

IowaBison
11-01-2005, 09:48 PM
it's called sarcasm, bisonator.

TheBisonator
11-01-2005, 09:55 PM
it's called sarcasm, bisonator.

Then I apologize. I'm a little on edge today. Sorry.

TheBisonator
11-01-2005, 09:56 PM
On a thread-related topic, Petsmart on 13th Avenue is going to open very soon. I have a cat and dog at my parent's home that would love some stuff from there.

Bisonguy
11-01-2005, 10:05 PM
On a thread-related topic, Petsmart on 13th Avenue is going to open very soon. I have a cat and dog at my parent's home that would love some stuff from there.

I hope they're less expensive than Petco. You can get nearly anything at Petco for a lower price at a locally-owned store in town (or Fleet Farm or TSC).

sambini
11-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Fleet Farm rocks.

soofan15
11-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I've been reading and hearing about the new high school. A couple of questions about it- What will the name be and when will it open? I'm assuming that it is dividing the ever-growing Fargo South district.

tony
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
The last plan for the new high school said construction in 2011. I don't think school enrollments are increasing much in Fargo so it might be farther off. The new school doesn't have a name yet and is currently called the "new high school" or the "next high school."

Gully
11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Fleet Farm is the greatest store in the world.

What the hell is Loaf and Jug? At homecoming I thought I'd stop at the Mini Mart next to the turf. I can't believe that's the best name they can come up with for a gas station. I wonder if they still have 3 day old hot dogs and egg rolls?

TransAmBison
11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I hear they pinch your loafs for you!

GCWaters
11-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I've been reading and hearing about the new high school. A couple of questions about it- What will the name be and when will it open? I'm assuming that it is dividing the ever-growing Fargo South district.

Boundaries in general are being reconfigured--fairly touchy subject, as you might imagine...here's a link to the info:

http://www.fargo.k12.nd.us/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectionid=807

TheBisonator
11-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Saw this in the paper. This is probably the BIGGEST thing to ever happen to the city of Fargo.

Major south Fargo plan moves forward
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Sunday, November 13, 2005

A proposed “city within a city” could soon begin taking shape in southwest Fargo.

It’s been about three years since Fargo land developer Ace Brandt approached the city with big plans for his section of land south of Interstate 94 between 45th and 57th streets.

Since then, city planners have put together a zoning ordinance designed for the property. They’re expected to bring a plat of the north 320 acres to the city’s Planning Commission for consideration next month.

With a total of 640 acres available, the Brandt subdivision could fill out to four times the size of the West Acres mall property.

“We’re platting an entire North Dakota town here,” said Bill Mahar, assistant city planner.

The Fargo Planning Commission recently reviewed a preliminary layout of the land during and will look over the plans in more detail during a Nov. 23 brown bag luncheon.

Plans call for three phases of New Urbanism development. According to www.newurbanism.com, the concept promotes creating or restoring compact, “walkable” communities with housing, retail, medical facilities, parks, schools and other neighborhood services. More than 500 New Urbanism projects are planned or under construction in the United States, the Web site says.

“We’re charting new ground here. This is an exciting project, to be sure,” Planning Commission Chairman John Q. Paulsen said.

A brochure describes an ambitious first phase of the Brandt project, covering 160 acres in the northeast quarter of the section. Components include 1 million square feet of retail, 400-plus units of age-restricted housing, a senior high rise and major hotel project and 30 acres of open space connected by tree-lined pedestrian green space and walkways.

More at: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=108510&section=News

sambini
11-13-2005, 10:36 PM
We sure do not need another Walmart on 52nd. ave. south.

Bisonguy
11-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Some development on the northside would be the smart thing to do, rather than keep sprawling to the south. This "new urban" concept would be better suited to the north IMO.

TheBisonator
11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Some development on the northside would be the smart thing to do, rather than keep sprawling to the south. This "new urban" concept would be better suited to the north IMO.

I think you'll start seeing more stuff being built on 12th Avenue North very soon. The two hotels are close to finished. I wouldn't be surprised to see them build some more fast food joints and sit-down restaurants on 19th, or who knows, maybe even a Target or a Hornbachers.

The demand is there, with all the college students. Heck, if they built just a few more things on that street, I'd never leave that part of the city. ;)

sambini
11-15-2005, 03:03 AM
Hornbachers is building a new store in sw Fargo 52nd ave south and 45th street. Also building a Hornbachers south Moorhead on HIWAY 75.

eflieth
11-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Some development on the northside would be the smart thing to do, rather than keep sprawling to the south. This "new urban" concept would be better suited to the north IMO. *

They would build up there but with the airport being up there nobody wants to live or own a business at the end of the runway. i mean look at a map of almost every big city and they airport is always out in its own area with not much around it. i would be cool if they did build more to the north but i don't see it happening very much at all

IL_Bison
11-15-2005, 06:06 PM
I think you'll start seeing more stuff being built on 12th Avenue North very soon. The two hotels are close to finished. I wouldn't be surprised to see them build some more fast food joints and sit-down restaurants on 19th, or who knows, maybe even a Target or a Hornbachers.

The demand is there, with all the college students. Heck, if they built just a few more things on that street, I'd never leave that part of the city. ;)

Hopefully the developers don't build too close to the NDSU research farms. I would hate to see them have to move. I would think the airport land will continue to buffer the research farms from development, at least immediately east of them.

BisBison
11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Hopefully the developers don't build too close to the NDSU research farms. *I would hate to see them have to move. *I would think the airport land will continue to buffer the research farms from development, at least immediately east of them.

don't see that happening unless SU wants it to. I believe the university owns the land. If a developer wants it badly enough they will have to spend a good amount on a land lease, which should go directly into the university's coffers.

IowaBison
11-15-2005, 08:30 PM
That's precisely what they did with the land on 19th Ave.

The used the proceeds to pay for 18th St (the one that cuts through campus on its west side).

insane_ponderer
11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
yeah, isnt that strip mall that houses reebs built on ndsu land?

also, i think the ndsu ag plots and the airport runway work well together, as was stated no one wants to own a house or business at the end of a runway, at the same time its a perfect place for those plots, nice and close to campus.

IowaBison
11-15-2005, 09:14 PM
don't say no one G-City, I'd be quite happy to live on tract housing in that very location.

BISON_PRIDE
11-15-2005, 09:58 PM

Reebs is now Labby's, it's a full service bar with lots of TV's in a no-smoking environment. It's close to my house but I still the like the specials and trivia at BW3.

roadwarrior
11-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Yes, NDSU still owns the land on the south side of 19th between 10th and University. It is leased to the developers of those businesses.

insane_ponderer
11-15-2005, 10:36 PM
don't say no one G-City, I'd be quite happy to live on tract housing in that very location.

lol...well i guess there are worse places *cough* west fargo...but anyways, as long as the house is well insulated, hector stays at its current size, and the airshow only comes to town once every 5 years or so, it wouldnt be so bad...i like your thinking though, there would definently be some fine benefits to living in that area.

insane_ponderer
11-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Reebs is now Labby's, it's a full service bar with lots of TV's in a no-smoking environment. *It's close to my house but I still the like the specials and trivia at BW3.

reebs/labby's has a prime location that close to campus, however, i don't know any classic bars that are located in strip malls, this concept always blew my mind...minot is full of bars located in strip malls, it just doesnt seem right. :)

TheBisonator
11-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm actually surprised that the whole 19th Ave. North area didn't boom sooner, like right after the Fargodome was built in the early 90's. I recently looked at an aerial photo of 19th Ave. North from the late 90's, and most things that now exist in th area (BWW, Subway, Burger King, etc.) weren't there in the picture.

DG_Moore
11-16-2005, 09:09 PM
NDSU has lost research plots mostly, though, to the technology center *and general campus expansion rather than *to the Dome. *Some research plots have been moved west on what was pasture and hay production area. *The number of livestock on the main campus has been sharply reduced and with the beef barn complex aging and partly obsolete; some decisions about where teaching and research livestock need to be will have to be made within a very few years. *Some of the land adjacent to the airport has building height restriction. *

Some land grant Universites have livestock facilities *as much as 20 miles away. *This requires class hour changes so that students can spend a half day at the facilities. *Livestock can usually be trucked in daily for many class uses. *Facilities could probably be relocated close enough so added travel time would not be a lot greater than to the downtown campus.

The land is really owned by the State of ND and NDSU cannot, by itself, decide what to do with it. *The oil production on the Dickinson Exerperiment Station land goes into the state treasury, for example.

BisonBryce
11-16-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm actually surprised that the whole 19th Ave. North area didn't boom sooner, like right after the Fargodome was built in the early 90's. I recently looked at an aerial photo of 19th Ave. North from the late 90's, and most things that now exist in th area (BWW, Subway, Burger King, etc.) weren't there in the picture.

airport is too close making it somewhat unattractive.

Bisonguy
11-17-2005, 12:06 AM

I swear that Burger King has been there since the late 80's, maybe even earlier.

kchats
11-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Yeah that Burger King and Sunmart were there when I was in school in the late 80's. As well as a Happy Harry's east of University drive.

TheBisonator
11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Speaking of that area, the Hilton looks like it's close to being finished. The exterior finishing work is starting on it.

sambini
11-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Try Labbys in the old Reebs building. Also Happy Harrys has been ther since the 70s it was Polar Package before Harrys bought it.

Bisonguy
11-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Try Labbys *in the old Reebs building. Also Happy Harrys *has been ther since the 70s it was Polar Package before Harrys bought it.

Is Labby's menu better than Reeb's? I was at Reeb's a couple times for food and never impressed, even when it was just a 'quick' burger that took an hour before it showed up on the table. ::)

sambini
11-24-2005, 03:08 AM
It was a lot better. I agree Reebs had terrible service. See Dan the new owner he is getting it turned around. The RED BEAR in Moorhead is closing this saturday?

Bisonguy
11-24-2005, 03:11 AM
It was a lot better. I agree Reebs had terrible service. See Dan the new owner he is getting it turned around. The RED BEAR in Moorhead is closing this saturday?

Yes, but it will be re-opening in a few months under new ownership.

TheBisonator
12-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I read in the Forum that they're going to build a Menards in Moorhead on the intersection of Main St. and I-94. Also in that area, on the intersection of 34th St. and I-94, will be a new Home Depot. They said the Menards will begin construction this June, and I'm pretty sure the Home Depot will begin construction sometime this upcoming summer as well. They both might be completed in a year or so.

That means the city will have 2 Menards, 2 Home Depots and 1 Lowe's. A real man's paradise.:)

Tatanka
12-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Don't forget Fleet Farm. It only takes one of those to achieve a man's paradise.

Good for Moorhead--and good for the metro...

Moorhead > Grand Forks ?

TheBisonator
12-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Moorhead > Grand Forks ?

That is a correct statement, Tatanka.

And I like Fleet Farm's selection of winter hats and gloves (I got a kick-ass pair of fleece gloves from there), but I also like Nodak too. I bought my new jacket from there.

Gully
12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
If you can't buy it at Fleet Farm, you don't need it.

TheBisonator
12-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Also think about this for comparison: Sioux Falls has only three of the "Big Three" major home-improvement big-box stores in its city (2 Menards, 1 Home Depot and no Lowe's) and Fargo-Moorhead is soon about to have FIVE of them. I really think the addition of these kind of stores in the city has a lot to do with the explosion in home construction. I was talking about this with a professor of mine, and he said that it has to do with the fact that a lot of homes in the city are being built unfinished (using these special discount custom home plans), where the owner does the finishing work, and thousands of owners looking to finish their new houses are creating a lot of the demand for these new home improvement stores.

And it's a fact that these stores spur on other businesses in the immediate site. (restaurants, hotels, etc.) An example of this can be seen in Shakopee and Prior Lake, Minnesota, suburbs of the Twin Cities.

TheBisonator
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
If you can't buy it at Fleet Farm, you don't need it.

My grandfather (who was a true-blue Iron Ranger) used to call it "Da Fleet Faaarm". This was back when a lot of them were real small, and some real small towns had them.

Wasn't the first ever Fleet Farm started up in Brainerd?? Correct me if I'm wrong...

sambini
12-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Congrats to Moorhead and yes FLEET FARM was started in Brainerd.

Herd_Mentality
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
And it's a fact that these stores spur on other businesses in the immediate site. (restaurants, hotels, etc.) An example of this can be seen in Shakopee and Prior Lake, Minnesota, suburbs of the Twin Cities.

As a long time resident of Shakopee, I'll disagree with you. Much of the area around the Home Depot in Shakopee was developed, had plans to be developed before Home Depot even committed to the site.

Gully
12-06-2005, 12:03 AM
"long time resident"???? How "long" of a time? ;D

runtheoption
12-06-2005, 01:34 AM
"long time resident" sounds similiar to Sid Hartman's "close and personal friend" ;)

sambini
12-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Moorhead City Commission approves sale of land for a MENARDS in south Moorhead.

Herd_Mentality
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
"long time resident"???? How "long" of a time? * ;D

When I first moved to Shakopee...Population was 21k and the bridge wasn't built yet.

I can't help it if I saw the error of my ways and moved back to the motherland. :)

TheBisonator
12-10-2005, 11:03 PM
I had a chance to drive by the intersection of 40th Ave. South and 45th Street, and there were at least FIVE different large buildings under construction at that intersection. It looked like a huge development was going up, it was amazing. I know there's the Hornbachers and a bank, but there were at least three other buildings I couldn't identify. Add that to the news today that they're going to widen and rebuild 40th Ave. South between 45th Street and Rose Coulee next year into a 4-lane street. Right now that intersection is just the conjunction of two-lane roads.

sambini
12-10-2005, 11:44 PM
That area is really growing isn't it?

TheBisonator
12-18-2005, 06:12 AM
The 2005 Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo building boom has officially SMASHED the 2004 record. Fargo alone broke their record by over $55 million. There was over $507 MILLION in construction permits for all types of buildings in Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo in 2005 alone.

Article at: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=111843&section=News

BisonBacker
12-18-2005, 02:35 PM
I have been told by one person that I know that there are plans for Wal-Mart to build a distribution center in Fargo. If that happens talk about a huge job creator and a huge bunch of buildings. I will be watching for news on this in the future. I don't know where the plans are for building it but I would suspect the industrial park in Fargo would make sense.

sambini
12-18-2005, 10:45 PM
That is news to me, I do know they want to build a supercenter on i29 and52nd ave south. But they are fighting it. I've seen a shipping center in Iowa they are huge.

TheBisonator
12-22-2005, 04:27 PM
More good news, it seems North Dakota's population has increased again for the 2nd straight year, although the state is still 5,523 people in the hole from the 2000 Census. The state went up to 636,677 in 2005, an increase of 369.

Here's the story: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=112242&section=news

MplsBison
12-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Why is it good or bad if the States population goes up or down?

Do we get more or less money for more or less people?

NDSU_grad
12-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Why is it good or bad if the States population goes up or down?

Do we get more or less money for more or less people?
Pretty much. If per capita taxes and total expenditures stay flat but there's more people paying there's more money in the state coffers.

MplsBison
12-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Hopefully that means more money for NDSU.

sambini
12-23-2005, 11:33 PM
New High School in the fall of 2011 at 70th ave.south and 25th.street south.

NDSUstudent
12-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Fargo to get yet another restaurant. http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=112687&section=Business

I actually heard this past weekend that Fargo has the most restaurants per person then any other city in the country.

JACKGUYII
12-28-2005, 08:53 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051221/BUSINESS/512210304/1003/ARCHIVE

While Fargo has experienced tremendous growth it's dwarfed by what's happening in Sioux Falls!

IowaBison
12-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Of course if you add in the cities of West Fargo and Moorhead, our little metro beats Sioux Falls.

293 (Fargo) + 106 (West Fargo) + (107) Moorhead = 506> 450

We also saw an increase in spending of $86 million which DWARFS* the growth in Sioux Falls ($40 million).

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=111843&section=News

*underlined and italized because Fargo is such a damn fine town. emboldened because NorthDakotaBison wanted to.

JACKGUYII
12-28-2005, 09:10 PM
And of course if you add all of the Sioux Falls Metro area including Brandon,Tea,Harrisburg you still have a pretty big gap.

IowaBison
12-28-2005, 09:15 PM
And of course if you add all of the Fargo Metro area including Casselton, Horace, Argusville, Dilworth, and Barnesville you still have a pretty big gap.

AND we kicked your ass in football. :P

BisonBacker
12-28-2005, 09:17 PM
I love it, even this thread is turned into a competetive thread ;D
Who say's we don't have a rivalry? ;D ;D ;D ;D

TheBisonator
12-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Fargo-Moorhead is bigger than Sioux Falls. End of story. ;D

TheBisonator
12-28-2005, 09:48 PM
And of course if you add all of the Sioux Falls Metro area including Brandon,Tea,Harrisburg you still have a pretty big gap.

There must have been what, maybe a few million in construction in those towns??

Besides, those towns aren't in SF's immediate urban area. The only town that counts is Brandon, as that town actually BORDERS Sioux Falls.

And last time I checked, Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo's urban area is about 20,000 more than SF's.

TheBisonator
12-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Sorry for that, but I gotta step up and defend my town of Fargo-Moorhead when any Sioux Falls yahoos try to make false claims... ;D ;D ;D

JACKGUYII
12-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Fargo-Moorhead is bigger than Sioux Falls. End of story. ;D

Only in your distorted estimations. I thought we went down that road once before and you were proven wrong. I guess the state of North Dakota did grow by a wopping 300 ppl. Weren't you who the one on here bragging that Fargo has more big box retailers ie. Home Depot,Menards etc than Sioux Falls. Now that's something to be proud of? Maybe Sioux Falls people are smart enough to hire it out rather than do it themselves.

JACKGUYII
12-28-2005, 09:55 PM
It really bothers some on this board that Sioux Falls is the largest city in the Dakotas and for that matter Wyoming and Montana as well.

IowaBison
12-28-2005, 10:05 PM
You're absolutely right, Jack.

I woke up this morning in a cold sweat cursing Osama Bin Laden and your City of Gold.

MplsBison
12-28-2005, 10:19 PM
According to the government, Cass County has about 123k and Minnehaha County has about 148k.

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t3/tab01.pdf

IowaBisonToo
12-28-2005, 10:38 PM
According to the government, Cass County has about 123k and Minnehaha County has about 148k.

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t3/tab01.pdf

But you forgot to add the neighboring counties of Clay (MN) and Lincoln (SD) which had 51K and 24K respectively bringing the total to 174.3K for th F-M area and 172.4K for the SF area. ;D

IowaBisonToo
12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
JACKGUYII is right, though. If you compare only the cities of Fargo and Sioux Falls, SF kicks Fargo's a$$ -- 91,048 (Fargo) vs. 136,695 (Sioux Falls) according to the 2004 cencus. Of course, that's what happens when you have no towns bordering your city. You can eat up as much land as you want. Fargo has to weasel it's way through through WF in order to get out to some open land so they can gobble that up before WF does.

roadwarrior
12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Before posting, please refer to this same argument with many thousands of posts earlier in the year ;)

sambini
12-29-2005, 12:20 AM
I love Fargo and proud of it.

bisonmike
12-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm from sodak, lived in both Fargo and Sioux Falls and both are great towns. Almost identical in terms of population, stores, and restaurants. I don't understand why people are arguing over a couple of thousand people here or there. For one, more people doesn't neccessarily = superiority. And my take is it's like arguing if your beer taste great or is less filling. Who cares, it's beer, it will get you drunk. Personally I prefer Fargo over my native Sioux Falls because it just seemed that there was never anything going on in SF. I think having 3 universities in the metro area really bolsters the overall vibrance of the community. When I lived in SF I felt like that's where everyone in SoDak went to retire. Plus SF's arena sucks and the FargoDome rocks.

bisonranch
12-29-2005, 05:06 PM
there was never anything going on in SF.

This is the only big difference I notice between Fargo and SF. Having the dome, ~25K college students, and an easier drive to the twin cities must make the difference.

Glad to see SF is getting Lowe's. Hope that damn arena gets built soon.

SDbison
12-29-2005, 06:10 PM
This is the only big difference I notice between Fargo and SF. *Having the dome, ~25K college students, and an easier drive to the twin cities must make the difference. *

Glad to see SF is getting Lowe's. *Hope that damn arena gets built soon.
This is so true. *I currently live in Sioux Falls area and much as it is growing it is not high tech job driven except maybe some small stuff related to hospitals. *If anything the number of technology / engineering / manufacturing jobs has decreased significantly in S.F. area over the past 10 years. *Huchinson Technology went from 1800 down to 800 workers. *Gateway closed its building in S.F. and I believe they once had up to 500 workers. *No new decent size high tech companies have arrived or are planned that I know about. *Instead S.F. continues to pursue more bank card center processing type companies with $8 an hour pay for most. *Great career jobs, NOT. *Or how about that Morrells expansion, more stink for downtown and more poor, less educated people to arrive in town and work there. * Sioux Falls people just defeated a plan for a new recreation center with 2 sheets of ice, pool, etc. and as it sits now there is not enough ice to keep hockey programs running with only one small metal building and part time use of the fairgrounds for ice. *The old 5000 seat Arena in town is a joke so no big acts come to town and a new events center has been in the plans for 10 years and is still slow to go. *Also brilliant planning to locate the new events center a few blocks from MoreSmells. *The biggest problem Sioux Falls has is no major universities, and small town thinking prevails while traffic problems grow and community buildings fall behind. *The tax base is poor since there is no drive to establish good paying manufacturing and technology jobs and there is only more of the same low paying jobs. *Sorry SD locals I know you will be pissed but there is a difference with Fargo being much more progressive. * * * * * * *

SDbison
12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
I should have said the Fargo-Moorhead area is much more progressive in my previous post. *Also note that Fargo is bringing in good paying jobs with equivalent hospital size / growth as compared to S.F. and the new Alien Technology not to mention Case Tractor and around 1500 *employees at Microsoft. *I am sure other Fargo locals can correct and add to the list of good companies there.
And S.F. locals please don't reply back with why don't I live in Fargo. *As it is I really don't live in Sioux Falls since I live on 40 acres 10 miles north of town and work at one of the only good high tech companies in S.F. as a project manager. *I tend to go to Fargo often for games and concerts and do support NDSU and the local economy in Fargo-Moorhead any way I can. *Sioux Falls development is not very forward thinking and they lose out on tax income by not trying to be a regional major tournament / conference / concert destination. *Low paying jobs don't help either. * *

TheBisonator
12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I should have said the Fargo-Moorhead area is much more progressive in my previous post. *Also note that Fargo is bringing in good paying jobs with equivalent hospital size / growth as compared to S.F. and the new Alien Technology not to mention Case Tractor and around 1500 *employees at Microsoft. *I am sure other Fargo locals can correct and add to the list of good companies there.
And S.F. locals please don't reply back with why don't I live in Fargo. *As it is I really don't live in Sioux Falls since I live on 40 acres 10 miles north of town and work at one of the only good high tech companies in S.F. as a project manager. *I tend to go to Fargo often for games and concerts and do support NDSU and the local economy in Fargo-Moorhead any way I can. *Sioux Falls development is not very forward thinking and they lose out on tax income by not trying to be a regional major tournament / conference / concert destination. *Low paying jobs don't help either. * *

I agree wholeheartedly, SDbison.

TheBisonator
12-29-2005, 10:16 PM
But to get back on topic, a new Texas Roadhouse steakhouse is opening in front of Lowe's on 13th Avenue soon. Apparently they just built one in Bismarck, and it has been a huge success.

basketballer
12-29-2005, 10:30 PM
We should see what people that are from sioux falls, but because of their careers are living in Fargo think of the two cities.

Oh, wait, I don't think there is anybody. Thats wierd. Its almost like THERE ARE enough of these technology jobs in sioux falls. That can't be correct though. I mean two NDSU graduates that have been forced to move to sioux falls to get technology jobs have said it isn't, and backed it up with only their personal opinions, and absolutely no statistics or facts. GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

basketballer
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
This is the only big difference I notice between Fargo and SF. Having the dome, ~25K college students, and an easier drive to the twin cities must make the difference.

Glad to see SF is getting Lowe's. Hope that damn arena gets built soon.

Yeah, I'm sure that Sioux Falls is real sorry that Fargo has 10,000 college students with their tight budgets trying to get through college, while Sioux Falls is stuck with 10,000 working adults with their 20000 - 100000 salaries that they spend in the city every year. What a loss.

basketballer
12-29-2005, 10:37 PM
. Low paying jobs don't help either.

You said not to ask why you live in sioux falls, so I won't. I want to know why you are taking that sioux falls job right now. If you like fargo sooo much, and there are sooo many more technology jobs there, then move your as$ up there. Why would you continue the long drives back and forth for bison games, when you could find the same job in fargo, and save $100's on gas money. Go take one of those technology jobs that are so much more plentiful in the Fargo area. I mean you did prove that fact beyond a doubt by... ahh... repeating it a lot, and not giving any actual facts or statistics.

basketballer
12-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Low paying jobs don't help either.

How in the Hel: do you know which has lowering paying jobs, sioux falls or fargo? Unless you have some statistics in front of you, your just one person being a homer for NDSU saying that Fargo has more higher paying/ better jobs. The truth is you have no idea which has more high paying jobs, better benefits/ more technology related jobs etc., and you pretty much made up all of the information in your two posts above. I've some laughable things on this board, but this has to take the cake. A guy who is working in sioux falls in a technology job, making up facts by the seat of his pants to put down the city that employs him, at the same time that he can't explain why he works in sioux falls and not fargo. Amazing.

Bravo SDbison, Bravo.

TheBisonator
12-29-2005, 11:00 PM
How in the Hel: do you know which has lowering paying jobs, sioux falls or fargo? *Unless you have some statistics in front of you, your just one person being a homer for NDSU saying that Fargo has more higher paying/ better jobs. *The truth is you have no idea which has more high paying jobs, better benefits/ more technology related jobs etc., and you pretty much made up all of the information in your two posts above. *I've some laughable things on this board, but this has to take the cake. *A guy who is working in sioux falls in a technology job, making up facts by the seat of his pants to put down the city that employs him, at the same time that he can't explain why he works in sioux falls and not fargo. Amazing.

Bravo SDbison, Bravo.

I'm sure SDbison has a good reason. Quit knocking on him.

bisonranch
12-29-2005, 11:19 PM
But to get back on topic, a new Texas Roadhouse steakhouse is opening in front of Lowe's on 13th Avenue soon. Apparently they just built one in Bismarck, and it has been a huge success.

Texas Roadhouse kicks a$$. I was at Bismarck resteraunt recently. Fargo needs a good steak joint.

bisonranch
12-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that Sioux Falls is real sorry that Fargo has 10,000 college students with their tight budgets trying to get through college, while Sioux Falls is stuck with 10,000 working adults with their 20000 - 100000 salaries that they spend in the city every year. *What a loss.

You missed the point (which i didn't do a good job of stating). College students bring entertainment to town. Arenas built for college athletics and students to fill them bring acts to places that normally wouldn't get them.

basketballer
12-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Is that entertainment worth the lost tax revenue from those college students spending less money? Probably not. If its entertainment in athletics sioux falls has quite a few choices from the minor league teams. They also have USF (why thats entertainment I don't know), Augie, and some SDSU events now. Granted I would rather see an NDSU football game than USF, Augie, or even the stampede or whatever that football team is called, but from a citizens point of view, there are alot better uses of that tax revenue from the paying citizens than a college football stadium.

bisonmike
12-30-2005, 01:02 AM
College kids always seem to have lots of disposible income. I know I did at the time. I probably spent enough money at the turf I could have bought the place and it would have been cheaper.

bisonranch
12-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Is that entertainment worth the lost tax revenue from those college students spending less money? *Probably not. *If its entertainment in athletics sioux falls has quite a few choices from the minor league teams. *They also have USF (why thats entertainment I don't know), Augie, and some SDSU events now. *Granted I would rather see an NDSU football game than USF, Augie, or even the stampede or whatever that football team is called, but from a citizens point of view, there are alot better uses of that tax revenue from the paying citizens than a college football stadium.

Dude, all I was saying is there are more events coming to Fargo. I wasn't arguing about what type of people generate more revenue. I've recently lived in or by both towns so I think I'm a good judge. There are always concerts and things coming to town in Fargo, whether it's at the dome, Playmakers, or the Civic. SF Arena hardly draws anything worthwhile other than the minor leauge sports. And that college football arena in Fargo draws plenty of tax paying people to town. When was the last time SF arena had 25000 people in it? Does it even seat 8000?

BisBison
12-30-2005, 02:46 AM
The Texas Roadhouse opened about a month ago and you still can't get in w/o an hour or better wait. Not a bad chain, I'll be interested to see if it has the same success in Fargo where there are soo many more decent places to eat. Bisonator, next time you're thru Bis give a jingle we could tip a few while talking Bison with a few locals.

basketballer
12-30-2005, 03:39 AM
Dude, all I was saying is there are more events coming to Fargo. I wasn't arguing about what type of people generate more revenue. I've recently lived in or by both towns so I think I'm a good judge. There are always concerts and things coming to town in Fargo, whether it's at the dome, Playmakers, or the Civic. SF Arena hardly draws anything worthwhile other than the minor leauge sports. And that college football arena in Fargo draws plenty of tax paying people to town. When was the last time SF arena had 25000 people in it? Does it even seat 8000?

I know what you were saying. The point is-

Which is greater.... the revenue generated for the city by having 25000 people at a events plus the college kids

or

Having 10000 working adults and their families living in the area.

I say that it is having the 10000 people with their yearly incomes buying commodities all of the time.

I would have to say that I think the big winner in the fargo dome arrangement would be ticketmaster more than the city collecting revenues. God do I HATE ticketmaster and their convience fee bs.

eflieth
12-30-2005, 05:44 AM
How in the Hel: do you know which has lowering paying jobs, sioux falls or fargo? *Unless you have some statistics in front of you, your just one person being a homer for NDSU saying that Fargo has more higher paying/ better jobs. *The truth is you have no idea which has more high paying jobs, better benefits/ more technology related jobs etc., and you pretty much made up all of the information in your two posts above. *I've some laughable things on this board, but this has to take the cake. *A guy who is working in sioux falls in a technology job, making up facts by the seat of his pants to put down the city that employs him, at the same time that he can't explain why he works in sioux falls and not fargo. Amazing.

Bravo SDbison, Bravo.

yeah i'm getting really sick of you just going off on everybody like you are god, ever since you started posting on here, you have acted like your word is what matters. its the gospel according to basketballer. SDbison i think has a little bit more knowledge than you do about the subject since he lives and works there and all. and if you think he's pulling the lower paying jobs thing out his ass check out this link. it is a comparision of a person making 75,000 a year living in fargo, who is gonna move to sioux falls to take a similar job. notice how he has to make more just to live the same life he lived in fargo, you see why other than cost of living being higher, which was not the point, it was the fact that sioux falls jobs typically pay LOWER than in fargo. if you think this info is crap just let me know and i'll find another source for you. now next time think and do some research before you go telling people they don't know what they are talking about.

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_result.asp?presentsalary=75000&presenthomemet rocode=233&presentworkmetrocode=233&newhomemetroco de=306&newworkmetrocode=306&x=62&y=12

TheBisonator
12-30-2005, 06:00 AM
I think the only thing that matters in the argument is where would a typical college-bound or college-done young urban proffesional want to make their home and start their career, Fargo or Sioux Falls?? Now I personally love living in Fargo, and would not move to Sioux Falls unless I was offered a job there that pays a buttload of money. I would stay in Fargo under most circumstances. Fargo is a city that offers a lot more to young 20-somethings than Sioux Falls does. Fargo has better concerts, better radio stations, better and more bars, better and more restaurants, better night clubs, etc. Also, Fargo is more like a real city with an urban core. Sioux Falls is just like a big suburb. Fargo has actually been mentioned in the NY Times and LA Times as an up-and-coming new trendy place to live. I would prefer to live in Fargo, and I think most other young people would come to the same conclusion.

MplsBison
12-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Here's my only knock on Fargo: it's the only city I know of (possibly in the world) that has two one way streets going in opposite directions that meet each other head on (NP? I forgot).

basketballer
12-30-2005, 05:11 PM
yeah i'm getting really sick of you just going off on everybody like you are god, ever since you started posting on here, you have acted like your word is what matters. its the gospel according to basketballer. SDbison i think has a little bit more knowledge than you do about the subject since he lives and works there and all. and if you think he's pulling the lower paying jobs thing out his ass check out this link. it is a comparision of a person making 75,000 a year living in fargo, who is gonna move to sioux falls to take a similar job. notice how he has to make more just to live the same life he lived in fargo, you see why other than cost of living being higher, which was not the point, it was the fact that sioux falls jobs typically pay LOWER than in fargo. if you think this info is crap just let me know and i'll find another source for you. now next time think and do some research before you go telling people they don't know what they are talking about.

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_result.asp?presentsalary=75000&presenthomemet rocode=233&presentworkmetrocode=233&newhomemetroco de=306&newworkmetrocode=306&x=62&y=12

Ohhh, a salary calculator. You sure got me. How about this:

http://www.moving.com/Find_A_Place/Calculators/SalaryCalc/results.asp

This one says that the cost of Fargo is 20% higher than Sioux Falls.

http://bestplaces.net/col/Default.aspx

This one shows Fargo is 0.3% more expensive than Sioux Falls.

Do you want me to find some more. All of those calculators are subjective to what criteria they use to determine cost of living. The point is that there probably really isn't that much of a difference between the two cities, and anybody trying to claim there is... is probably a homer.

If your trying to tell me it isn't worth someone that probably travels to Fargo 10-15 times per year to move there because of a salary difference of $2000 I would have to say your also wrong. How much does it cost for the gas to get back and forth -probably a couple hundred. Add in the time lost driving, especially the time of a proffesional that makes $75,000 per year, plus the cost of mileage for your vehicle (probably pretty nice car for someone making $75000) and I would say that your using more than $2000 to not live in Fargo, so it doesn't really make sense.

By the way, I would like to see that link showing how there are more technology jobs in Fargo than Sioux Falls, I'm sorry it so deeply offends people on here that I just don't believe people that say because they live in Sioux Falls. I lived in Houston before. That doesn't mean I know that Houston has better jobs than Dallas, or that Dallas has a terrible lifestyle compared to Houston etc. You blast me about doing some "research", but I guess people on this site can just come on here throwing wild claims around with absolutely no basis like SDbison did. All you do is sit here being huge NDSU/ Fargo homers and God forbid if anybody doesn't believe some rediculous claim that you can't back up, out of hand.

basketballer
12-30-2005, 05:16 PM
I think the only thing that matters in the argument is where would a typical college-bound or college-done young urban proffesional want to make their home and start their career, Fargo or Sioux Falls?? Now I personally love living in Fargo, and would not move to Sioux Falls unless I was offered a job there that pays a buttload of money. I would stay in Fargo under most circumstances. Fargo is a city that offers a lot more to young 20-somethings than Sioux Falls does. Fargo has better concerts, better radio stations, better and more bars, better and more restaurants, better night clubs, etc. Also, Fargo is more like a real city with an urban core. Sioux Falls is just like a big suburb. Fargo has actually been mentioned in the NY Times and LA Times as an up-and-coming new trendy place to live. I would prefer to live in Fargo, and I think most other young people would come to the same conclusion.

I'm sure all the youth in NY and LA were really thinking that Fargo ND is trendy. Do you really believe that? The NY time and LA times articles were more to effect of Holy Sh*t, theres something in ND? Who even knew that was a state. And I'm a 20 something, and I have a lot of 20 something friends- believe me, nobody wants to go to Fargo. You could have all the concerts, bars etc. you want, when its winter 8 months a year it doesn't really matter.

Bison_Dan
12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm sure all the youth in NY and LA were really thinking that Fargo ND is trendy. *Do you really believe that? *The NY time and LA times articles were more to effect of Holy Sh*t, theres something in ND? *Who even knew that was a state. *And I'm a 20 something, and I have a lot of 20 something friends- believe me, nobody wants to go to Fargo. *You could have all the concerts, bars etc. you want, when its winter 8 months a year it doesn't really matter.

We like it when the rift raft doesn't come to Fargo. Your loss. Like SF is tropical! :-/

basketballer
12-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I never said it was tropical. I didn't claim that it was "trendy" either. Thanks for the personal attack also. Very classy.

JACKGUYII
12-30-2005, 06:07 PM

The quote that Fargo is more of a real city with an urban core and Sioux Falls is a big suburb is laughable.When is the last time you have been to downtown Sioux Falls? I can tell you I have been to both downtown's recently and Sioux Falls has and is developing much more of an urban core than Fargo. With the completion of the Phillips to the Falls you will see unprecendented development on both the east and west bank of the river.

runtheoption
12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
This is all a pointless argument. We have a bunch of homer's with the natural ND/SD, NDSU/SDSU, Fargo/Sioux Falls rivalry that will lend a bias to one's point of view.

Both very nice, clean, cheap living, upper Midwest towns that have a lot of growth going on which looks promising for both communities. I've spent a few weekends in SF and was surprised by how much it reminded me of Fargo

bisonranch
12-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh yeah? My dad can beat up your dad. :P

SDbison
12-30-2005, 07:19 PM
The quote that Fargo is more of a real city with an urban core and Sioux Falls is a big suburb is laughable.When is the last time you have been to downtown Sioux Falls? I can tell you I have been to both downtown's recently and Sioux Falls has and is developing much more of an urban core than Fargo. With the completion of the Phillips to the Falls you will see unprecendented development on both the east and west bank of the river. *

Alright, I can't wait for that Phillips to the Falls with a maybe skip to the eventual possible events center sometime this century all in the midst of an expanded downtown Morrells stink factory. Yippee!

Someone here wants facts on the high tech jobs in Sioux Falls. Have to admit I don't have an outside source, but just looking at the lack of growth (usually shrinkage) in the Sioux Falls area. I have been here 12 years and once worked at Hutchinson Technology in S.F. They decreased employment from around 1800 to about 800 over the past 8 years. That's 1000 jobs lost. Gateway also shutdown in town, that was another several hundred lost. No other decent sized technology companies have grown or opened up shop in S.F. over the past 10 years. Plenty of credit card companies, expanded and new cabinet shops, etc., but no high tech. The company I work for has about 550 local employees, with a net growth of about 25 over the past 6 years. I guess to make up for the 1500 better paying high tech jobs recently lost there must be 50 to 100 smaller sized technology related companies that are new and I don't know about. Apparently all those people that were laid off from the high tech companies found better paying construction, retail, meat packing and card center jobs?

Gully
12-30-2005, 07:59 PM
I think Hunter, Velva, and Tappen ND are much better than either Fargo or Sioux Falls.

Gully
12-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Oh yeah, Bowbells and Larimore rock as well. Antler and Noonan ND are the best of all.

jackrabbit1979
12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
I hate to get into this debate, especially on the side of the Fargo folks, but there is one huge difference in the whole argument. *NDSU is located in Fargo, SDSU is located in Brookings, not Sioux Falls. *I understand the connection SDSU has to sioux falls and the need for them to be on board for the D1 move to be successful, but as of right not, they aren't. *As a student and as a professional working for SDSU i have noticed a "turn up your nose" attitude towards Brookings from Sioux Falls. *You would be surprised how many Sioux Falls teenagers have never been to Brookings or even know where it is. *:o

The other thing that is interesting to think about is the support of the two universities. *AS they are relatively equal now, NDSU may be a little ahead in certain areas, just think of where SDSU would be if it was located in SD's largest city like NDSU. *One can only imagine the enrollment figures, support, and attendance if SDSU had that extra appx 100,000 fans living within a few miles of campus like NDSU has. *Too bad we will never know for sure *;)

JACKGUYII
12-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Alright, I can't wait for that Phillips to the Falls with a maybe skip to the eventual possible events center sometime this century all in the midst of an expanded downtown Morrells stink factory. *Yippee!

Someone here wants facts on the high tech jobs in Sioux Falls. *Have to admit I don't have an outside source, but just looking at the lack of growth (usually shrinkage) in the Sioux Falls area. *I have been here 12 years and once worked at Hutchinson Technology in S.F. *They decreased employment from around 1800 to about 800 over the past 8 years. *That's 1000 jobs lost. *Gateway also shutdown in town, that was another several hundred lost. *No other decent sized technology companies have grown or opened up shop in S.F. over the past 10 years. * Plenty of credit card companies, expanded and new cabinet shops, etc., but no high tech. *The company I work for has about 550 local employees, with a net growth of about 25 over the past 6 years. *I guess to make up for the 1500 better paying high tech jobs recently lost there must be 50 to 100 smaller sized technology related companies that are new and I don't know about. *Apparently all those people that were laid off from the high tech companies found better paying construction, retail, meat packing and card center jobs? * *

Now the truth comes out a disgruntled former Hutchinson Tech employee. I'm not sure what the pay scale at Hutch Tech is or was, but the city of Sioux Falls economy is not based purely on Credit Card Companies,Meat Packing and Cabinet Shops like you have inferred. The diversification of the Business Community in Sioux Falls has made layoffs such as at Hutch Tech and closures like Gateway less dramatic. You seem to have a real issue with Morrells which provides many jobs for the less educated. I'm sorry your not enjoying the prosperity that many in this community are enjoying. Companies like Lodgnet,Midland Life,Hematech continue to expand and grow. Maybe you would be better off with the overtaxed in North Dakota!

eflieth
12-30-2005, 08:56 PM
[quote author=basketballer link=board=bc;num=1124849999;start=150#158 date=12/30/05 at 11:11:35]

If your trying to tell me it isn't worth someone that probably travels to Fargo 10-15 times per year to move there because of a salary difference of $2000 I would have to say your also wrong. *How much does it cost for the gas to get back and forth -probably a couple hundred. *Add in the time lost driving, especially the time of a proffesional that makes $75,000 per year, plus the cost of mileage for your vehicle (probably pretty nice car for someone making $75000) and I would say that your using more than $2000 to not live in Fargo, so it doesn't really make sense.

i just gave you those numbers, because you throw a fit unless someone gives you numbers, like he or she doesn't know what they are talking about. maybe he drives back and forth from SF to Fargo 10-15 times a year for the simple fact that HE WANTS TO. He lives in SF and tells you HIS OPINION, and you crap all over it saying its the dumbest thing ever. Unless you are the mayor of SF or work in the city, i think the rantings of you saying he doesn't know crap, is the dumbest thing ever. and then you call him a homer, what is it bad that he supports something he cares about no matter what. would you call him a homer and someone says something about his wife or kids or something and he defends them, cause essentially he is doing the same thing as supporting his team or city or feelings. you said he talks bad things about SF, maybe he is, who cares maybe he doesn't like it. its not your call to dismiss it as garbage. you said you lived in Houston, how come you left? you're basically saying houston's not good enough, so maybe we should ride your ass because of it. my point is that since you've started posting on here, people will make on opinion or an argument about something, and you jump all over the person. and call them homers or something, sorry but everything about this message board and site screams homer, are you gonna rip that too? its one thing to disagree with someones thought or opinion but to treat them like they are scum of the earth is not very proper.

insane_ponderer
12-30-2005, 09:02 PM
For the record I really enjoy listening to this debate, I mean when we used to fight with Grand Forks people about this subject it was never nearly as fun (and obviously never as informed seeings as most UND folk can't even read ;))

I don't know s.f. very well but what i see in fargo is a city on the rise, and the best part about that is ndsu is one of the major driving forces creating the jobs, bringing in new business, and investing heavily in the community.

I am currently attending the Univ of pitt and a report recently came out about pitt being the 6th best univ in the nation at fostering start up companies, and it seems that ndsu is trying very hard in this aspect, which in turn greatly benefits the community

i am sure souix falls is nice in its own regards, but there is nothing there that would have ever drawn me (personally) away from fargo.

that being said, i have always been curious to visit the hematech facilities in souix falls, if anyone of you south dakotans know any extra info on the company i would appreciate it

basketballer
12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
If your trying to tell me it isn't worth someone that probably travels to Fargo 10-15 times per year to move there because of a salary difference of $2000 I would have to say your also wrong. How much does it cost for the gas to get back and forth -probably a couple hundred. Add in the time lost driving, especially the time of a proffesional that makes $75,000 per year, plus the cost of mileage for your vehicle (probably pretty nice car for someone making $75000) and I would say that your using more than $2000 to not live in Fargo, so it doesn't really make sense.

i just gave you those numbers, because you throw a fit unless someone gives you numbers, like he or she doesn't know what they are talking about. maybe he drives back and forth from SF to Fargo 10-15 times a year for the simple fact that HE WANTS TO. He lives in SF and tells you HIS OPINION, and you crap all over it saying its the dumbest thing ever. Unless you are the mayor of SF or work in the city, i think the rantings of you saying he doesn't know crap, is the dumbest thing ever. and then you call him a homer, what is it bad that he supports something he cares about no matter what. would you call him a homer and someone says something about his wife or kids or something and he defends them, cause essentially he is doing the same thing as supporting his team or city or feelings. you said he talks bad things about SF, maybe he is, who cares maybe he doesn't like it. its not your call to dismiss it as garbage. you said you lived in Houston, how come you left? you're basically saying houston's not good enough, so maybe we should ride your ass because of it. my point is that since you've started posting on here, people will make on opinion or an argument about something, and you jump all over the person. and call them homers or something, sorry but everything about this message board and site screams homer, are you gonna rip that too? its one thing to disagree with someones thought or opinion but to treat them like they are scum of the earth is not very proper.

I don't have a problem with being a homer, just don't pass off facts, and defend statements with information that comes off the top of your head. I thought it was outrageous to assume that a community of over 140,000 was being described from one persons perspective, and that was being passed off as fact.

SDbison, if you think that I have "treated you like scum", I apologize, I was just trying to disagree, and usually the way I type on these internet forums comes off as overly aggressive, mean spirited, pissing people off etc. but its not really how I feel or intend to sound. I usually just type things in this manner on internet forums to get my point across, as I have found that typing in a manner that is politically correct, non-aggressive, usually ends up with people not understanding me or not interpreting what I say correctly. When I type on this board, I'm usually going to be arguing with 10-15 of you, so you'll have to excuse me if I sound a little bit mean. I make sure that I never personally attack anybody though, I never use insults to get my point across (as some members of this board have seen fit to use for me).

Its ironic that you make up something to attack me with bisonpride, saying that I treated him like scum, when five messages above this somebody calls me rift raft, and you have no rant for them about whats right and wrong? Why the double standard?

Also, I said that I did, as in past tense, live in houston, not that I currently live in houston. I could tell you my current location, but I won't. If you want to know that bad, get Tony to trace my IP, it isn't that hard, and I'll get a laugh out of it.

My future posts are probably going to piss most of you off, since I usually only post when I see something rediculous posted, and other people don't bother to correct it, or even worse, agree with it. I don't really worry about what I post on these boards, and my advice would be that if any of you get that upset over what someone on an anyomous message board says, you should reevaluate what is important to you in your life. Nothing I say here, right or wrong is going to actually change anything in the world. Its just my thoughts. Take it or leave it.

TheBisonator
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Aw, isn't that sweet!! OK everybody, GROUP HUG!!! :D :D :D

OK, now that we've all made up, I also wanted to mention that the new Scheels flagship superstore is slated for its grand opening later this spring. Hopefully that big plot of land across from Scheels on 45th will have something built on it as well.

And Fargo-Moorhead or Sioux Falls, whatever you're representing, I think we all can agree that Grand Forks is a pig pit. ;D

bisongold
12-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Does anyone know if the new Scheels is going to have internet ordering capabilities? If not, they are really missing the boat.

SDbison
12-31-2005, 01:10 AM
And Fargo-Moorhead or Sioux Falls, whatever you're representing, I think we all can agree that Grand Forks is a pig pit. ;D

Have to agree with you Bisonator!

As for my views on S.F vs. FM I believe I have been around a little (lived in Sioux Falls, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Seattle, Milwaukee and Fargo-Moorhead) and I was never trying to be a homer or insult anyone. I just like some things about Fargo-Moorhead over Sioux Falls. Some day I may move back to Fargo, but then if Sioux Falls gets going, builds some ice arenas, actually builds an events center and brings in some more engineering oriented business I might end up staying. These are my views and opinions only. Some of you agree with me and some don't.

sambini
12-31-2005, 01:25 AM
How about RUGBY,BARLOW,OR EVEN RAY?

Gully
12-31-2005, 02:09 AM
How about RUGBY,BARLOW,OR EVEN RAY?

Perhaps Coteau or Medina?

BisonBacker
12-31-2005, 02:16 AM
Aw, isn't that sweet!! OK everybody, GROUP HUG!!! :D :D :D

OK, now that we've all made up, I also wanted to mention that the new Scheels flagship superstore is slated for its grand opening later this spring. Hopefully that big plot of land across from Scheels on 45th will have something built on it as well.

Amen to that++++++++++++++++++ ;D ;D

runtheoption
12-31-2005, 04:05 AM
I think Hunter, Velva, and Tappen ND are much better than either Fargo or Sioux Falls.

Kidder County in da hizzhouse!!

bisonranch
12-31-2005, 04:51 AM
Perhaps some interesting reading for y'all...

Fargo - http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Fargo-North-Dakota.cfm

Sioux Falls - http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Sioux-Falls-South-Dakota.cfm

Might not be complete view of FM since Moorhead is in a different state. Are there any big companies with lots of engineers/tech jobs in SF? Fargo has some internationally known businesses in town, I'm not sure what SF has in this area.

SDbison
12-31-2005, 06:15 AM
Here is some info to back my position up:
From the Fargo Forum..........

Report puts N.D. near top
Forum and wire reports, The Forum
Published Friday, December 30, 2005

BOSTON – North Dakota is ranked sixth in the nation by a Boston-based study that measures economic competitiveness based on ability to generate income and promote growth.

‘That’s great news,” state Commerce Commissioner Shane Goettle said Thursday.

“It validates some of the information we have about wage growth in the state and what we see in economic activity in some of our targeted industries,” he said.

North Dakota is one of two states in the nation to show job growth in manufacturing from 2000 to 2005, he said. The other was Nevada.

Over the past five years, North Dakota has added 1,900 manufacturing jobs , Goettle said.

Per capita personal income grew 25 percent from 2000 to 2004, second only to Connecticut, he said, according to the U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Economic Analysis.

The fifth annual report, to be released today by Suffolk University’s Beacon Hill Institute in Boston, ranked Massachusetts first.

The state’s strengths across a broad range of economic indicators earned it the top spot again, despite the Bay State’s recent population decline and slow job growth.

The report’s authors cited the state’s strong technology base, the quality of its work force and its generous support for new business ventures. Those strengths offset weaknesses in the state’s infrastructure and in its environment.

“This year’s report should go a long way toward dispelling recent, gloomy assessments of the state economy,” David Tuerck, Beacon Hill Institute’s executive director, said in a news release. “Looking at just one or two economic indicators can, as we see, prove misleading.

“Despite slow job growth and population loss, Massachusetts continues to be an attractive place to live and work,” Tuerck said.

The study’s authors define competitiveness as “the policies and conditions that ensure and sustain a higher level of per capita income and its continued growth.” The report assigns 42 variables to eight categories: government and fiscal policy, security, infrastructure, human resources, technology, business incubation, openness and environmental policy.

New Hampshire rose to No. 2 in the rankings, from No. 7 the previous year.

Rounding out the top 10 states, in order, were: Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, North Dakota, Washington, Alaska, Maryland and Minnesota.

The lowest-ranking state was Louisiana, followed by Mississippi (49th), Arkansas (48th), West Virginia (47th), Indiana (46th) and Hawaii (45th).

TheBisonator
12-31-2005, 06:43 AM
I read that article, SDbison. I hope this good economic situation for North Dakota will soon provide a stimulus for increasing our state's population again in the very near future. After all, the main reason people have said why young people move out of ND is because the jobs don't pay well. But our average income has risen over 25% in the past 5 years. This is very good news. It will mean that some young people will start staying in the state. Maybe not in places like Ashley, Tioga, Grenora or Lidgerwood, but at least towns in the state that have at least 10,000 people.

The real concern I think we have to look at is how are the towns like Devils Lake, Wahpeton, Mandan, Dickinson, Jamestown and Williston doing. That will be the key.

BisBison
12-31-2005, 03:49 PM
The real concern I think we have to look at is how are the towns like Devils Lake, Wahpeton, Mandan, Dickinson, Jamestown and Williston doing. That will be the key.
Mandan is doing just fine, you wouldn't believe all the riverfront development. Maybe ND is turning the corner, oil out west SU in the east, things are looking good IMHO

dakotadan
01-03-2006, 08:53 AM
It will mean that some young people will start staying in the state. Maybe not in places like Ashley, Tioga, Grenora or Lidgerwood, but at least towns in the state that have at least 10,000 people.

I grew up in Grenora. I just went home for the holidays to find out that in the last month our hardware store, cafe, and 1 of our churches closed down. :'( It is rather sad.

MplsBison
01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Mandan is doing just fine, you wouldn't believe all the riverfront development. Maybe ND is turning the corner, oil out west SU in the east, things are looking good IMHO

I don't think it's correct to compare Mandan and West Fargo to places like Dickinson or Jamestown just because they about relatively the same population.

sambini
01-07-2006, 03:02 AM
West Fargo is growing leaps and bounds.

warrior2021
01-07-2006, 05:41 AM
West fargo is like 25,000 people now so its one of the biggest cities in the state

TheBisonator
01-07-2006, 06:30 AM
West fargo is like 25,000 people now so its one of the biggest cities in the state

Yeah, I'd bet it's at least close to 25,000 by now. An urban planning student friend of mine told me that he was talking to the mayor of West Fargo, and he said he expects the population of West Fargo to approach 30,000 by the next census. He said that there's been more growth in WF in the past 5 years than the previous 30.

Also, a former boss of mine lives in Horace, and she recently told me that Horace definitely has more than 2,000 people by now. And to think that just 10 years ago it had only a few hundred.

DIBISON
01-07-2006, 06:35 AM
West Fargo is the fastest growing city in the state since the 2000 census.

IowaBison
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I think West Fargo has a million-billion people! ;)

Seriously, I'd be surprised if West Fargo was much more than 20,000 folks. The number of residential permits there last year was 180 fewer than in 2004. Unless the average household size increased significantly (unbelievably) the growth some of you believe happened is pretty far-fetched.

The census had them at 17,581 two years ago. There's no way they added 7500 new residents in the last two years.

Bisonguy
01-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I think West Fargo has a million-billion people! ;)

Seriously, I'd be surprised if West Fargo was much more than 20,000 folks. *The number of residential permits there last year was 180 fewer than in 2004. *Unless the average household size increased significantly (unbelievably) the growth some of you believe happened is pretty far-fetched.

The census had them at 17,581 two years ago. *There's no way they added 7500 new residents in the last two years. *

Yeah, even their own website lists an estimated 20,300 - http://www.westfargo.org/about/index.shtml

sambini
01-07-2006, 11:41 PM
I love oour city and surronding metro area. Great place to live and raise a family. And the BISON ARE HERE TOO.++++++

TheBisonator
01-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Yeah, even their own website lists an estimated 20,300 - http://www.westfargo.org/about/index.shtml

Yeah, you're definitely right, it's not at 25k yet, but it's most definitely above 20k right now. I don't even know how realistic the thought of 30,000 is by the next census, but I think 25,000 will definitely happen.

MplsBison
01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah, you're definitely right, it's not at 25k yet, but it's most definitely above 20k right now. I don't even know how realistic the thought of 30,000 is by the next census, but I think 25,000 will definitely happen.

I don't mean to belittle your statement at all Bisonator, but I'm just curious. Why is it such a good thing if WF is at 30k or 25k by next census?

TheBisonator
01-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't mean to belittle your statement at all Bisonator, but I'm just curious. Why is it such a good thing if WF is at 30k or 25k by next census?

More people always means more money flowing around in the local economy.

MplsBison
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
More people always means more money flowing around in the local economy.

I suppose.

But why is increased flow good? Does increased flow necessarily mean that people are richer? Or just spending more?

TheBisonator
01-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Back to the topic, I saw a shitload of buildings being built on the corner of University Dr. and 32nd Street South. Looks like a LOT of stuff going up. Also, still a lot of stuff going up on the corner of 45th St. and 40th Ave. South.

But I also have some bad news. A&W on 19th Ave. North has been shut down. Also, Media Play on 13th Ave. South is closing for good. I saw a big banner on the storefront today.

Bisonguy
01-11-2006, 03:19 AM
But I also have some bad news. A&W on 19th Ave. North has been shut down.

Hopefully a good replacement will open up.

roadwarrior
01-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Also, Media Play on 13th Ave. South is closing for good. I saw a big banner on the storefront today.

Musicland, owner of the Media Play stores, is in the process of closing all stores in the company.

JACKGUYII
01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Since we were discussing Fargo and Sioux Falls on this thread thought I would post this article in the Argus Leader today regarding the current and projected population of Sioux Falls.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060111/NEWS/601110326/1001/NEWS

BisonBacker
01-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Since we were discussing Fargo and Sioux Falls on this thread thought I would post this article in the Argus Leader today regarding the current and projected population of Sioux Falls.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060111/NEWS/601110326/1001/NEWS

Congrats to you and the area, Sioux Falls is a nice town. Good to see other upper midwest towns doing well. Fargo is in the same growth pattern with the population expected to be more around 250,000 by 2050 which is more then double what it is now. With the entire FM metro we will be well over 300,000. I probably won't be around to see it but its impressive anyway.

Bisonguy
01-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice editorial about Fargo's airport in The Forum today- Forum editorial: Good work at Fargo’s airport
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=114041&section=Opinion)

Nice to see that people around the region are flying out of Hector, instead of driving to Minneapolis or using other airports in the RRV.

Hopefully Fargo can get as many flights as Sioux Falls in the near future.

TheBisonator
01-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Congrats to you and the area, Sioux Falls is a nice town. *Good to see other upper midwest towns doing well. *Fargo is in the same growth pattern with the population expected to be more around 250,000 by 2050 which is more then double what it is now. *With the entire FM metro we will be well over 300,000. *I probably won't be around to see it but its impressive anyway.

Actually, the 4-county metro of Fargo-Moorhead is expected to be close to half a million by 2050. It also surprised me when I saw the current 4-county metro pops. (2004 est.) for the two cities, and how close they are. It said Fargo-Moorhead-Wahpeton was currently at 206,000 and Sioux Falls was at 204,000. Looks like both cities will be almost exactly identical in metro size (even though F-M's urban area is considerably larger) for a long time, given the current trends.

TheBisonator
01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Awesome news for that new 640-acre new-urbanist development in SW Fargo... Looks like construction will begin on Phase 1 this spring.

Here's a pic of one of the Phase I townhomes:

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/20060112brandtplan.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=114142&section=News

JACKGUYII
01-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually, the 4-county metro of Fargo-Moorhead is expected to be close to half a million by 2050. It also surprised me when I saw the current 4-county metro pops. (2004 est.) for the two cities, and how close they are. It said Fargo-Moorhead-Wahpeton was currently at 206,000 and Sioux Falls was at 204,000. Looks like both cities will be almost exactly identical in metro size (even though F-M's urban area is considerably larger) for a long time, given the current trends.

Here we go again!

TheBisonator
01-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Just ignore the Sioux Falls yahoos.

My original intention for this thread was to talk about developments in FARGO-MOORHEAD, and I would like for it to stay that way.

jjbluecw
01-12-2006, 10:47 PM

How do they include wahp w/ f-m??...wow...just as well throw valley city, detroit lakes, and hillsboro on there too then.

Bisonguy
01-12-2006, 11:30 PM
How do they include wahp w/ f-m??...wow...just as well throw valley city, detroit lakes, and hillsboro on there too then.

Cass, Clay, Richland, and ?? counties.

bisonranch
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
So what's the story downtown these days? Did the Broadway project get completed? I didn't make it there when I was in town last. Any new buildings going up? It would be cool to see some Radisson type buildings go up again.

TheBisonator
01-13-2006, 03:48 AM
Cass, Clay, Richland, and ?? counties.

That would be Wilkin County.

And I heard Fargo-Moorhead will be designated as a 4-county metro in the next census, so I'm counting the 4 counties.

TheBisonator
01-13-2006, 03:49 AM
So what's the story downtown these days? *Did the Broadway project get completed? *I didn't make it there when I was in town last. *Any new buildings going up? *It would be cool to see some Radisson type buildings go up again.

The Broadway streetscape project is finished, and looks real nice. There was a plan for a new downtown arena, but the voters nixed it. Unfortunately, there are no high rise buildings planned for downtown at the moment. I really hope that we see some new skyscrapers go up downtown real soon.

Bisonguy
01-13-2006, 04:55 AM
The Broadway streetscape project is finished, and looks real nice. There was a plan for a new downtown arena, but the voters nixed it. Unfortunately, there are no high rise buildings planned for downtown at the moment. I really hope that we see some new skyscrapers go up downtown real soon.

There is the proposed 400 block project on Broadway, if the city ever decides to allow all the incentives that are being sought.

TheBisonator
01-13-2006, 05:09 AM
There is the proposed 400 block project on Broadway, if the city ever decides to allow all the incentives that are being sought.

I don't think that's a skyscraper project, is it??

Bisonguy
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
No, but it would be another project to improve downtown.

bisongold
01-13-2006, 04:36 PM

This must be the formation of a Renaissance Zone which allows businesses and individuals to get tax incentives and tax abatements for improvements made in the Zone.

Bisonguy
01-13-2006, 05:39 PM
This must be the formation of a Renaissance Zone which allows businesses and individuals to get tax incentives and tax abatements for improvements made in the Zone.

I believe there already is a Renaissance Zone downtown, but this 400 block project is looking at a combination of that and some other funding, which has not been used together before.

Looks like The Forum spelled it fairly well today- http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=114252&section=News

JACKGUYII
01-13-2006, 05:41 PM

What's your defenition of a skyscraper? Probably the same logic as a metro area including half of the state!

BisonBacker
01-13-2006, 06:23 PM
He's just making a comment, give the guy a break. Sounds like jackguyII has the little man inferiority complex going on.

basketballer
01-13-2006, 06:39 PM
There are no skyscrapers in Fargo, and won't be for another 100 years. Why would a company pay for a skyscraper, when they can get land dirt cheap, build a 1 floor building with the same square footage, and have at most a twenty-thirty minute drive anywhere in Fargo. Companies don't just spend 100-200 million on skyscrapers because they want a city to look like its a big deal. They build them because theres no available land to move horizontally on and get the space they need, so they move vertically. It's going to be a long time until that much land is taken up around fargo.

JACKGUYII
01-13-2006, 06:44 PM
He's just making a comment, give the guy a break. *Sounds like jackguyII has the little man inferiority complex going on. *

I don't have any kind of inferority complex I just think it's funny somebody has the illusion that all of a sudden developers are going to start building skyscrapers in downtown Fargo.

IowaBison
01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't have any kind of inferority complex I just think it's funny somebody has the illusion that all of a sudden developers are going to start building skyscrapers in downtown Fargo.

Dammit, Jackguy. Didn't you read my post?

West Fargo is going to have like a million-jillion people in twenty years. Imagine the size of Fargo!

There will also be daily flights to the moon and free frogurt dispensers at every transport-pod intersection (hence the growth).

BisonBacker
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
What's your defenition of a skyscraper? Probably the same logic as a metro area including half of the state!
Where did he say the metro area included half the state? If your referencing the whole argument about Fargo/S.Falls and the development thats going on in both cities I think its great that its happening. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems you are slamming what's going on in Fargo as opposed to S. Falls. Fargo is growing at a nice pace as is S.Falls. Not sure why you say it's including half the state? The FM area withing a 25 mile radius is growing as opposed to whats going on in many other areas of the state.

BisonBacker
01-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Dammit, Jackguy. *Didn't you read my post?

West Fargo is going to have like a million-jillion people in twenty years. *Imagine the size of Fargo!

There will also be daily flights to the moon and free frogurt dispensers at every transport-pod intersection (hence the growth).
NorthDakotaBison, you hitting the sauce and starting the weekend a little early??? ;)

IowaBison
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Nope, not unless a Coca-Cola and beef and barley soup are sauce. Unless the barley fermented?........

BisonBacker
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
The doesn't sound like it would taste very good. Give me a good Beer Cheese soup any day ;D

TheBisonator
01-13-2006, 09:50 PM
The doesn't sound like it would taste very good. *Give me a good Beer Cheese soup any day ;D

Mmmmmmmmm.... Beer cheese soup... GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH......

http://www.vwenthusiast.com/yabbse/attachments/homer-drool.gif

Tatanka
01-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Noridian wins a $100M contract and projects to hire about 100 new jobs in Fargo (reference WDAY 6pm news). Can you say economic impact?

sambini
01-14-2006, 03:56 AM
Sounds like more future sales of Bud Light .+++

TheBisonator
01-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Sounds like more future sales of Bud Light .+++

A lot of my friends will be happy about that. ;)

TheBisonator
01-15-2006, 08:11 AM
I found this KICK-ASS interactive map of Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo-Dilworth from the F-M Chamber of Commerce website. The map must be completely brand-new, because it is showing all this development in south Moorhead and in Eagle Run that I never even knew existed. It's basically an interactive wall map. I'm gonna see if I can order the actual wall map.

Here's the link: http://www.novoprint.com/Fargo/zoom.html

Tatanka
01-15-2006, 09:02 PM
15500 at the Fargodome for George Strait last night. That's about 200 fewer than the same concert the night before IN ST. PAUL. Glad we have the dome.

insane_ponderer
01-15-2006, 10:56 PM
its always nice to see the fargodome get a good crowd for a concert, but it would be nice to see the music scene pick up a little in the area....especially now that they took down ralphs corner.

with that said, its not by any means terrible, but its on the "what could be better in fargo?" wishlist.

Tatanka
01-15-2006, 11:02 PM
its always nice to see the fargodome get a good crowd for a concert, but it would be nice to see the music scene pick up a little in the area....especially now that they took down ralphs corner.

with that said, its not by any means terrible, but its on the "what could be better in fargo?" wishlist.
Fargo has a music scene? ;)

Agreed, with the loss of Ralphs someone else needs to carry the torch.

bisonranch
01-15-2006, 11:22 PM
15500 at the Fargodome for George Strait last night. *That's about 200 fewer than the same concert the night before IN ST. PAUL. *Glad we have the dome.

I think George drew 26 or 27000 last time he was in town. There just aren't any big tours these last few years. When was the last time the dome sold out?

The music scene could be a little better, but Fargo's got it better than a lot of places.

Gamehunter
01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
I think George drew 26 or 27000 last time he was in town.

The dome can fit that many people for a "full" concert?

roadwarrior
01-16-2006, 01:36 AM
The dome can fit that many people for a "full" concert?

Yes, I dont recall what the record is, but its on one of the wall displays on the east concourse of the dome.

The configuration of having a center stage has the maximum seating capacity.

Tatanka
01-16-2006, 01:53 AM
If I recall correctly, the last time George Strait was in town they had over 27500 in the dome, qualifying as the largest (attendance-wise) indoor event in ND history. With the full stands and an in-the-round floor configuration, they could likely have squeezed in another 500 or so but 27500 is plenty.

The big difference between this concert and Strait's previous (9 years ago if I remember right) was (1) timing and (2) ticket prices. We paid about $25 for front-row tickets then compared to just over $61 for last night. Also, the previous concert wasn't in the middle of winter. I suspect plenty of people were (1) turned off by the high ticket prices and (2) wary of driving to Fargo in the middle of winter due to unknown weather conditions. Even with the weather, I think that with $30-40 tickets they would have sold the place out again. More butts in the stands = more concessions = more $$$ for the arena. But likely the same (or a similar amount) for the performers. In this concert's case, though, the ticket prices are the same for every venue on the tour, so I doubt the FFD had much to say about it.

somebison
01-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Yes, I dont recall what the record is, but its on one of the wall displays on the east concourse of the dome.

The configuration of having a center stage has the maximum seating capacity.

Dixie Chicks is the record I thought the number was around 22, but am not sure

Tatanka
01-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Dixie Chicks is the record I thought the number was around 22, but am not sure

Nope, the deal with the Dixie Chicks was that their concert at the dome had the highest attendance of any arena on their tour.

TheBisonator
01-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Good news for the Holiday Center redevelopment in Moorhead. A new Starbucks, Qdoba Mexican Grill and a third unnamed restaurant will open in a new "food court" area there in June. This will be the first Starbucks in Moorhead. There's talk of putting a 2nd one in the new downtown Moorhead redevelopment where Ralph's Corner used to be.

TheBisonator
01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
I also forgot to mention that West Pointe Centre, a new strip mall adjacent to HOM Furniture on 45th St. South is starting to go up, as well as another strip mall, Liberty Square Phase II, which is across the street from that. Also, PRACS is building a new 3-story, 140,000 square foot addition to its facility at Aggasiz Crossing. There's a LOT of stuff going up in the city in the past couple of months.

insane_ponderer
01-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Good news for the Holiday Center redevelopment in Moorhead. A new Starbucks, Qdoba Mexican Grill and a third unnamed restaurant will open in a new "food court" area there in June. This will be the first Starbucks in Moorhead. There's talk of putting a 2nd one in the new downtown Moorhead redevelopment where Ralph's Corner used to be.

does anyone else think that it is a horrible tragedy that they are putting a starbucks in where ralphs used to be?

i think thats the saddest thing i have heard in awhile.

TheBisonator
01-21-2006, 04:16 AM
does anyone else think that it is a horrible tragedy that they are putting a starbucks in where ralphs used to be?

i think thats the saddest thing i have heard in awhile.

Now that you mention it, that is pretty sad...

sambini
01-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Are they going to put a Hard ROCK CafE IN THE OLD Red Bear in Moorhead? Or that type of restaurant?

Bisonguy
01-24-2006, 03:03 AM
Are they going to put a Hard ROCK CafE IN THE OLD Red Bear in Moorhead? Or that type of restaurant?

Last I heard, it was going to be a "mature" nightclub, ala Mr. G's.

bisonmike
01-28-2006, 03:19 PM

I also heard that they were going to re-open the restaurant at the end of January but I have seen 0 people working at the Red Bear since it has closed and I drive passed it several times a day. It's a shame to because that is such a beautiful building. I also hope they find something to go into Coach's. That place could really make money if you get the right sports bar in there. I'm holding out for Buffalo Wild Wings Moorhead :D

sambini
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
QDOBA MEXICAN GRILL ARE VERY GOOD SPONSORS OF NDSU ATHLETICS.

TheBisonator
01-29-2006, 05:56 AM
This is kind of going off on a tangent, but why isn't there a Jimmy John's sandwich shop in Fargo?? I mean, there's TWO of them in Grand Forks, fer chrissakes. You'd think with all the bazillions of strip malls going up in Fargo-Moorhead, that there would be at least one leasing space open for a Jimmy John's. It's a national chain, for crying out loud.

I was thinking this, because I recently had a craving for their soup. They got really good soup there. I was in GF a couple weeks ago, and stopped there. Their wild rice soup is the best.

Two other places I think Fargo-Moorhead could use is a Chipotle and a Panera Bread. Also a Breugger's Bagel Bakery. Who knows, maybe they might open up some of those places in that huge new new-urbanist development on 45th Street in the future. Jimmy John's, Chipotle, Panera Bread and Breugger's. 2 out of those four, and I'll be happy.:)

Bisonguy
01-29-2006, 07:00 AM
IMO- Fargo needs an In-N-Out before any of those restaurants. ;D

That, and more local non-franchises, such as Monte's, Juano's, Bertrosa's, Yuki Hana, The Taco Shop, etc. , although I wouldn't mind a PF Chang's.