PDA

View Full Version : George Ellis

Ivy
10-24-2006, 05:28 AM
On 11's 6:00 pm news, the top story was on former sports information director George Ellis and an age-discrimation trial. *It sounds like Bohl, Miles, and Gene Taylor all testified against Ellis saying he was fired for mistakes and not his age. *The reporter said the judge will rule in the next few weeks.

Also in the forum

www.in-forum.com/News/articles/143848

IowaBison
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
If the athletic department discriminated based on age Bucky Maughn would have been out on his a$$ years ago!

Ivy
10-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Exactly, if someone is doing a great job, age isn't an issue.

NorthernBison
10-31-2006, 09:09 PM
News reports indicate that George prevailed in his suit over NDSU. The judge ordered NDSU to pay him slightly over $150,000 for lost wages and benefits and also ordered that they need to pay his legal expenses. The news report indicated that NDSU would appeal the ruling.

Hammersmith
10-31-2006, 10:56 PM
McFeely posted a blog about the judgement. From his POV, NDSU had no case and should not win an appeal.

Justice is served (http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/)

BisonSig
10-31-2006, 11:32 PM
Does McFeely ever have anything nice to say about NDSU?

I was under the impression though that North Dakota was a right to work state. You can be fired or quit any job, at any time, with no reasons needed.

TransAmBison
10-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry to say, I was rooting against NDSU on this one. I have not heard a bit of evidence against Ellis. I don't buy into the firing a person on whim thing.

Ivy
11-01-2006, 01:08 AM
McFeely posted a blog about the judgement. From his POV, NDSU had no case and should not win an appeal.

According to this blog, it looks like Lynn Dorn was the one to make the age discrimination remarks. *And Taylor (not Lynn) did the firing years later? *Seems odd to find NDSU guilty of the discrimination. *I suppose one could argue that Dorn influenced Gene Taylor's decision.

Also, the forum's report said that Ellis walked out of his evaluation in 2004. *Doesn't seem like he was really embracing the ideas for improvements to his job performance.

Maybe the problem was that he was "OLD SCHOOL" not old.

BisonBacker
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I like everyone else here can only speculate on this whole thing as I'm sure there were things that went on that only the main players know about. I will say this however. Mcfeely is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else but am I the only one who thinks he may be a little to close to the story to cover it objectively? After all Ellis was at his job when Mcfeely was still probably wetting his diapers. I'm sure Mcfeely feels some sort of allegiance with Ellis given the jobs both had. Ellis's dismissal does have some underlying questions that we probably won't ever know the answer to but a couple things are for sure.
1. For Lynn Dorn to make those comments was just plain stupid.
2. For Ellis to walk out of a job evaluation for any reason is also just plain stupid.
3. For the two sides to not have been able to work this out is also just plain stupid.

As far as Taylors, Bohls and Mile's remarks I don't see why they would be dismissed by the judge if they were true. I just hope this whole thing can be put behind us. One last thing regarding the story in today's forum (11-01-06), for NDSU to pay ellis 39,000 a year is a shame also but not uncommon in this area. Pay for many jobs for decades the FM area or the entrire upper midwest has been low and I hope that NDSU picks up on that if they already havent.

Herd_Mentality
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM

According to this blog, it looks like Lynn Dorn was the one to make the age discrimination remarks. *And Taylor (not Lynn) did the firing years later? *Seems odd to find NDSU guilty of the discrimination. *I suppose one could argue that Dorn influenced Gene Taylor's decision.

Also, the forum's report said that Ellis walked out of his evaluation in 2004. *Doesn't seem like he was really embracing the ideas for improvements to his job performance.

Maybe the problem was that he was "OLD SCHOOL" not old.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think this is the case right here why he was let go.

southpaw
11-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I like everyone else here can only speculate on this whole thing as I'm sure there were things that went on that only the main players know about. I will say this however. Mcfeely is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else but am I the only one who thinks he may be a little to close to the story to cover it objectively? After all Ellis was at his job when Mcfeely was still probably wetting his diapers. I'm sure Mcfeely feels some sort of allegiance with Ellis given the jobs both had.

mcfeely wrote an opinion peice. he's not attempting to report on it objectively. that was covered by a news reporter.

westriverbison
11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
It's time to pay Ellis off and move on. NDSU doesn't need any more press on this subject.

WYOBISONMAN
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
It's time to pay Ellis off and move on. NDSU doesn't need any more press on this subject.

+++++++++++++

Ivy
11-04-2006, 04:41 AM

NDSU is appealing it, so there will be more press.

Anyone know if action will be taken against any members of the athletic department due to the ruling? I know it's not the same, but if this was sexual harassment, the guilty party would be fired.

DIBISON
11-04-2006, 04:58 AM
He said, she said. Who knows for sure? It doesn't matter, nobody has the facts. Why would anyone be fired over this? It's time to move on, as none of us really have any specific facts about the firing do we??

Gully
11-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Nothing against George Ellis, I've never met the guy, but I just hate this entitlement mentality where people think they're entitled to their job forever, especially when they are resistent to change.