PDA

View Full Version : In-Forum website question

kchats
01-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Hey guys have any of you had any problems getting to the In-Forum website. The site does not come up at all.

BisonVifte
01-27-2007, 02:43 AM
I haven't had any problem.

kchats
01-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Really. I tried both at work and now at home and I get a message saying there is a server error.

Hammersmith
01-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm also having problems. I haven't been able to connect all day.

DIBISON
01-27-2007, 05:18 AM
I just read your question and then went ot the In-Forum website and got right on.

kchats
01-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I still can't get on. Last night I got to the front or home page of In-Forum but it wouldn't open any stories. I can't even get to the home page for In-Forum and haven't been able to since Thursday. I have emailed them to see if they can fix it but haven't heard from them.

Bisonguy
01-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Works fine for me.

Can either of you access any of the other pages, such as http://www.in-forum.com/sports/??

kchats
01-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Nope. I get an error message stating that the server is undergoing maintenance. I am using Internet Explorer Version 7 though. Although I haven't had any problems until Friday. I was also unable to get on the site at work on Internet Explorer Version 6. I can get to Bison Zone and the Media Blogs but not the rest of the paper.

Junior
01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
just read a couple articles...

Bisonguy
01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Did you try rebooting or clearing the IE history/cache?

Maybe it's just displaying the old error message page (I have received the error message page on occasion when they're uploading the new pages -typically after midnight in the early AM).

kchats
01-27-2007, 04:57 PM
I reboot everyday. I shut my computer down at night. I have cleared the cache and still get the same message. Maybe there is something blocking access to their link from the Kansas City area. Unfortunately I can still get to the Grand Forks Herald.

Bisonguy
01-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Maybe you were banned and they didn't tell you. ;) :P

kchats
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
If I search the internet for the Fargo Forum I can see the stories if I click on one of the links but if I click on a story link I get the error message again.

Can you post a link to a current story so I can see if I can open that?

02Bison
01-27-2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=154254

02Bison
01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Have you downloaded all available updates for your operating system and internet explorer? *

kchats
01-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Yep I am completely up to date. Still no luck with In-Forum. I had trouble at work to so I'm thinking that it isn't an internet explorer version problem. So are Hammersmith and me the only ones not able to access In-Forum?

Trimmy
01-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Works normal for me.

02Bison
01-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Do you have your security settings in explorer cranked up too high? Or any fireware, antivirus software, popup blocking software that could be causing issues?

pwbnd
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I can't get in either.

SDbison
01-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Worked OK for me today at home and yesterday at work.

IL_Bison
01-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I haven't been able to access the site either...since yesterday morning. I get an error message using both IE and Mozilla.

kchats
01-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Still down for me. Nothing but the error message. Looks like some people can get it and some can't which is weird. You would think it would be all or none.

BisBison
01-27-2007, 08:46 PM
It's good for me. I'm on Safari for Mac. Maybe that's why it's working. ;)

IL_Bison
01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
weird, just tried it with Netscape and it worked, but not for IE or Mozilla.

Hammersmith
01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm still not getting in.

WinXP/IE7/Fargo

BisBison
01-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Looks like a Microshaft problem to me.

Bisonguy
01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
It's good for me. I'm on Safari for Mac. Maybe that's why it's working. ;)

weird, just tried it with Netscape and it worked, but not for IE or Mozilla. *

Well, there you have it. Download Netscape or buy a Mac and use Safari. :)

I was starting to think it could be some sort of DNS issue, but that isn't the case if it works with one browser and not another.

FWIW- I just tried accesssing In-Forum.com using Firefox on my Mac, and I received the error message. However, using Safari, I can still load the page and navigate on In-Forum.com

scottheck
01-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I haven't been able to get it since yesterday morning either. No changes in technology since then...
I had assumed their website was down, same sort of problem that has happened in the past.

DenverBison05
01-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I have IE6 and I have no problem accessing it.

Mr._Bill
01-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I do not have forum access either.

Gully
01-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I can't view it either.

kchats
01-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I have internet explorer version 6 at the office and internet explorer version 7 at home. Neither of them allowed me to access it. The kicker is I can get into the special pages Bison Zone and Bison Media Blogs. I can also pull the home page up with a search of the internet for Fargo Forum but can't get any links to work, I get the same error message as when I try to access through my favorites.

Ivy
01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
It still isn't working this morning for me. * >:(

scottheck
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM
+++++++++++ >:(

scottheck
01-28-2007, 06:45 PM
I am now at the office and still unable to get to it. WTF???? >:(

kchats
01-28-2007, 06:54 PM
I have been emailing them at In-Forum with screen shots showing the error message and have heard nothing from them.

Here are a couple of email addresses let them know you can't get their website!

support@in-forum.com

subscriberservices@forumcomm.com

sports@forumcomm.com

jmiller@forumcomm.com

2006gwfcchamps
01-28-2007, 07:27 PM
They probably won't be back to work until Mon.

kchats
01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Somebody puts the stories up on the website. They have breaking news stories and other stories updated daily. Inundate them. >:(

tcbison
01-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I have IE 6.0 on my work labtop and IE 7.0 on my home computer and they both are able to bring up In-Forum. Don't know what to tell you.

kchats
01-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Can you read the articles? I am not alone in this as you can see. I have sent them my error message too.

roadwarrior
01-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I have had no problems with their site.

TransAmBison
01-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I can't get it to work now either.

BisBison
01-29-2007, 12:54 AM
What are all you people doing at work on a Sunday??? ;D BTW I still have no problems.

Trainer
01-29-2007, 01:15 AM
I haven't been able to read the Forum online for a couple days. Just wondering which ISP everybody that can't access is using? Is it or is it not a ISP problem relating to individual ip numbers. I use Midcontinent..

BisBison
01-29-2007, 01:18 AM
I haven't been able to read the Forum online for a couple days. Just wondering which ISP everybody that can't access is using? Is it is it not a ISP problem relating to individual ip numbers. I use Midcontinent..

I'm on Midcon as well, no problems here. This is goofy.

Trainer
01-29-2007, 01:20 AM
So much for my theory...

Bisonguy
01-29-2007, 01:36 AM
I haven't been able to read the Forum online for a couple days. Just wondering which ISP everybody that can't access is using? Is it or is it not a ISP problem relating to individual ip numbers. I use Midcontinent..

Yeah, I thought it might be a DNS issue, but I CAN view it with Safari and Internet Explorer (5.2) for Mac, but CANNOT view it with Firefox on my Mac.

My PC can open it just fine with IE 7.

99Bison
01-29-2007, 01:56 AM
All, the in-forum website has been flaky ever since it was started. No offense to anyone that works on it, but at least once a week I get a server error or something similar. By the looks of it they have always used second tier software and equipment which is probably half the problem.

In recent years it has gotten better, but still "media" company you would think would get delivering the media down good. :-)

kchats
01-29-2007, 03:10 AM
I am in Olathe, Kansas on AT&T Yahoo! DSL Pro (2.5 Mbps) and am using Windows XP service pack 2 with all the updates and Internet Explorer 7.0 with all the updates. I was able to read stories until Thursday night.

At work I am on Windows 2000 (don't ask out IT guy is an idiot) with Windows Explorer 6.0 with all the updates. I couldn't read it Friday, I will check it out tomorrow.

Hopefully everyone with problems has filled their email boxes with screen shots showing the error message.

:o ::) :-[ :-X :-/ :'(

NDSU1980
01-29-2007, 03:34 AM
I had no problems. I was just on the site. Maybe it has something to do with McFeely being back in town. It didn't take him long to slam the Bison on recruiting and mens BB.

IL_Bison
01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
This is getting frustrating. I'm in the UK for work and need my local news fix. Still can't get on, it was fine up until Thursday.

Trainer
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Somebody post an email address so I can bitch... can't get to the site to find one.

tcbison
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Can you read the articles? *I am not alone in this as you can see. *I have sent them my error message too.

Yes, I can ready the articles. I feel for you man. Wish I could help.

99Bison
01-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Usually if the site itself is somewhat "up" refreshing the article you are trying to read a few times will get it to work.

badger04
01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I called this morning and they had no clue what I was talking about because I still can not log in to in-fourm. I'll post the number tonight so we can get some action.

finch901
01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
This will show that

A) I have no life
B) I'm frustrated

But i have tried almost every half-hour that i've been awake since thursday to get on the site and no dice on getting the In-Forum site

99Bison
01-30-2007, 12:51 AM
This will show that

A) I have no life
B) I'm frustrated

But i have tried almost every half-hour that i've been awake since thursday to get on the site and no dice on getting the In-Forum site

Lets see if it's a dns issue...

Go to Start->Run->
1. type in cmd, press ok.
2. type nslookup in-forum.com

Do you get something like this:
Server: ns1.loretel.net
Address: 66.44.130.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: in-forum.com
Address: 12.28.104.135

If not, probably a dns problem... which is your isp's problem probably...

kchats
01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Here is what mine said:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>nslookup in-forum.com
Server: dnsr1.sbcglobal.net
Address: 68.94.156.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

I actually installed the latest AT&T Yahoo! Browser tonight too and still can't get on the In-Forum website. I also tried at work today and couldn't get on there either.

kchats
01-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Somebody post an email address so I can bitch... can't get to the site to find one.

I have been emailing them at In-Forum with screen shots showing the error message and have heard nothing from them.

Here are a couple of email addresses let them know you can't get their website!

support@in-forum.com

subscriberservices@forumcomm.com

sports@forumcomm.com

jmiller@forumcomm.com

pwbnd
01-30-2007, 01:33 AM
I may have found a temporary fix...

Try deleting all your cookies. (probably only need to delete the ones created by In-Forum, but I didn't actually try that. I deleted all of them.)

Anyway, after you delete the cookies, close out of internet explorer and get back in again. *I was able to view all the different main pages and read one article (so make it count). *It then wanted me to log-in/register for the in-forum site. *Once it does that, the ballgame's over and you'll need to delete the cookies again.

This obviously isn't very practical, but it seems to be a temporary fix at least.

Hope this works for the rest of y'all.

Trainer
01-30-2007, 01:41 AM
pwbnd... exactly the same fix I came across this afternoon. It sucks, but it's better than nothing. I've emailed the forum a half dozen times this afternoon with a screen capture of the error.

kchats
01-30-2007, 02:31 AM
That is a joke. You can read one story and then it asks for a login and once you login you are done. Not a good thing. You have to delete cookies everytime you read one story not fun at all. >:(

99Bison
01-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Here is what mine said:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>nslookup in-forum.com
Server: dnsr1.sbcglobal.net
Address: 68.94.156.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

I actually installed the latest AT&T Yahoo! Browser tonight too and still can't get on the In-Forum website. I also tried at work today and couldn't get on there either.

Yep, dns is fine.

99Bison
01-30-2007, 02:46 AM
That is a joke. You can read one story and then it asks for a login and once you login you are done. Not a good thing. You have to delete cookies everytime you read one story not fun at all. >:(

Maybe your overall cache is full, try dumping that along with history and see what happens... or maybe its just the crappyness of the site.

kchats
01-30-2007, 02:46 AM
It seems to be some kind of cookie problem. Where if your computer takes cookies to read the stories it kills it.

kchats
01-30-2007, 02:47 AM
I dumped everything to see what happened but after logging in or reading one story I got the error message. I could read one story at a time but then had to delete cookies to read another after getting back into the In-Forum website.

Bisonguy
01-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Why don't some of you with issues try using Netscape?
It's a free download, isn't it?

Either that, or buy a Mac and use Safari. ;) :P

kchats
01-30-2007, 03:29 AM
I tried the browser that comes with AT&T Yahoo! which seems very similar to Netscape it calls the favorites bookmarks just like Netscape. I have a coworker that is going to try his Mozilla browser tomorrow. I don't want a bunch of browsers on my computer so I can read one website that fails to work. I can read Bison Zone and the Media Blog so as long as they put the Bison stories on Bison Zone where they belong I should be fine.

I sent the information about the cookies and logging in to the support staff at In-Forum.

I can't really use a Mac since all my work programs etc. are all Windows based. ;)

scottheck
01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Why don't some of you with issues try using Netscape?
It's a free download, isn't it?

Either that, or buy a Mac and use Safari. *;) :P

I believe the point is, it's worked for however-many-years I've been reading the Forum online and, overnight, it doesn't work for many of us. Obviously, there's a problem somewhere. I don't use Netscape for ANYTHING else nor do I have any other internet access problems. They have a problem... >:(

kchats
01-30-2007, 03:33 AM
++++++++ Suddenly no access on Friday. >:(

scottheck
01-30-2007, 03:37 AM
This will show that

A) I have no life
B) I'm frustrated

Go to Start->Run->

Server: *ns1.loretel.net
Address: *66.44.130.10

Name: * *in-forum.com
Address: *12.28.104.135

Mine was:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*****Can't find server name for address: 24.159.193.40: Timed out.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
******Can't find server name for address: 68.115.71.53: Timed out.
*****Default servers are unavailable.
Server: unknown
Address: 24.159.193.40

Bisonguy
01-30-2007, 03:38 AM
I tried the browser that comes with AT&T Yahoo! which seems very similar to Netscape it calls the favorites bookmarks just like Netscape. *I have a coworker that is going to try his Mozilla browser tomorrow. *I don't want a bunch of browsers on my computer so I can read one website that fails to work. *I can read Bison Zone and the Media Blog so as long as they put the Bison stories on Bison Zone where they belong I should be fine.

I sent the information about the cookies and logging in to the support staff at In-Forum.

I can't really use a Mac since all my work programs etc. are all Windows based. ;)

You can run Windows on the new Macs . :P ;)

Guys that can't get IN-foum.com working- I'm joking about buying a Mac, but somewhat serious about Netscape. Yes, they have an issue and need to fix it, but at least you might be able to view the in-forum site in the meantime.

I don't like it when sites only use Windows Media, as it usually plays a lot choppier than Quicktime on either my Mac or PC, but sometimes that's what the website uses and you just deal with it. Same goes here. Try something else, but let them know that there's something wrong with their website.

kchats
01-30-2007, 03:51 AM
Grand Forks Herald and Jamestown Sun are the same website basically and I can read both of them. I also can read the Bison Zone part and the Bison Media Blogs. It isn't even the whole site down for the count. I am giving them a shot to fix their problems before cluttering my computer with a bunch of browsers that I have to roll through to check different website.

kchats
01-30-2007, 03:55 AM
I also sent a comment regarding these problems through the question and comment section on Bison Zone to see if they actually do anything. Bison Zone support actually does work to correct problems.

Hammersmith
01-30-2007, 05:02 AM
It looks like some of their user information is corrupted. I deleted my cookies and tried logging back in. It turns out I have registered twice over the years using two different email addresses. One login works, the other doesn't. Those of you having problems might try registering again using a different or disposable email account.

I wonder if there is any connection between this problem and PressPass subscribers. Could you please post if:
1. You subscibe to, or have subscibed in the past to, PressPass and are not having issues.
OR
2. You have never subscibed to PressPass and you are having issues.

If there is a connection, I'm a bit worried that their credit card information has been hacked. The login I used to subscribe to PressPass is the one that doesn't work.

99Bison
01-30-2007, 06:19 AM
I tried the browser that comes with AT&T Yahoo! which seems very similar to Netscape it calls the favorites bookmarks just like Netscape. I have a coworker that is going to try his Mozilla browser tomorrow. I don't want a bunch of browsers on my computer so I can read one website that fails to work. I can read Bison Zone and the Media Blog so as long as they put the Bison stories on Bison Zone where they belong I should be fine.

You can run Windows on the new Macs . :P ;)

Guys that can't get IN-foum.com working- I'm joking about buying a Mac, but somewhat serious about Netscape. Yes, they have an issue and need to fix it, but at least you might be able to view the in-forum site in the meantime.

I don't like it when sites only use Windows Media, as it usually plays a lot choppier than Quicktime on either my Mac or PC, but sometimes that's what the website uses and you just deal with it. Same goes here. Try something else, but let them know that there's something wrong with their website.

If someone is serious about using a different browser, download and try firefox (Mozilla) 1.5 has the best support for website viewing compared to netscape, etc. and compares nicely to IE. Avoid the 2.x version though. Not to mention it has a strangle hold 2nd place behind ie.

99Bison
01-30-2007, 06:26 AM
This will show that

A) I have no life
B) I'm frustrated

Go to Start->Run->

Server: ns1.loretel.net
Address: 66.44.130.10

Mine was:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*****Can't find server name for address: 24.159.193.40: Timed out.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
******Can't find server name for address: 68.115.71.53: Timed out.
*****Default servers are unavailable.
Server: unknown
Address: 24.159.193.40

You are having problems with name servers... Presumably these ip addresses are given to you by your isp and they are not working for you. may want to drop them an email with that nslookup info in it.

Hammersmith
01-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Okay, here's a permanent fix:

1. Delete the following cookies:
a) cookie:<yourname>@forumcomm.com/
b) cookie:<yourname>@www.in-forum.com/
c) cookie:<yourname>@in-forum.com/
2. Close all open browser windows.
3. Open your browser.
4. Go to www.in-forum.com
5. Re-register using a different email address.

It looks like some of the user information has become corrupted but newly created accounts are okay.

IL_Bison
01-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Okay, here's a permanent fix:

1. Delete the following cookies:
* *a) *cookie:<yourname>@forumcomm.com/
* *b) *cookie:<yourname>@www.in-forum.com/
* *c) *cookie:<yourname>@in-forum.com/
2. Close all open browser windows.
3. Open your browser.
4. Go to www.in-forum.com
5. Re-register using a different email address.

It looks like some of the user information has become corrupted but newly created accounts are okay.

That worked beautifully! You da man Hammersmith

Trainer
01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Just received this email from In-Forum Support:

"This issue has been addressed please let us know if you continue to experience errors. It was a cookie issue not reading the new variables correctly."

The In-Forum site works for me now, but if you still have problems make sure you let them now.

scottheck
01-30-2007, 09:05 PM
YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :D :D :D

It does work, at the office anyway...

finch901
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
I figured i'd take a break from checking in-forum, and sure enough i just tried it and Ta-Da!!! it works. maybe that guy who said patience is a virtue was on to something!! ;D ;D ;D

kchats
01-31-2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah they emailed me and thanked me for sending them the information regarding my operating system and browser. I also emailed them and let them know it was a cookie issue after you all pointed out the delete cookies thing to read the stories in one shot and delete.

I am happy to be up and running on both my home and work computer.

I emailed them and thanked them for fixing the problem as well.