PDA

View Full Version : Damn I miss Smokey's

IowaBison
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Nothing was better than Alaskan walleye and Budweiser on Friday nights.

99Bison
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
"Smokey's... bring back the good ol days!"

sambini
03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Nothing was better than Alaskan walleye and Budweiser on Friday nights.

Well said I give you a +++++

ndsubison
03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Remember that big steak they had? Something like 56 oz and if you finish it it's free? My old roommate and I went out there one night and he ordered it. And he finished it. He also finished his baked potato and his salad. He weighed around 170 lbs at the time and had about 6% bodyfat. I still wouldn't believe it had I not been sitting right there when he did it. I see him about once a year nowadays and we still laugh about that one. Reminds me of Uncle Buck "And the gristle, too!"

02Bison
03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Reminds me of Uncle Buck"And the gristle, too!"

Don't you mean John Candy playing Chet Ripley in "The Great Outdoors"? *

ndsubison
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Reminds me of Uncle Buck"And the gristle, too!"

Don't you mean John Candy playing Chet Ripley in "The Great Outdoors"? *

Yeah, you're right. Woops. Excellent movie, although my favorite is Planes Trains & Automobiles. Maybe someone should start a "Damn I miss John Candy" thread.

02Bison
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Remember that big steak they had? *Something like 56 oz and if you finish it it's free? *

The "Old Ninety-sixter". It was a six pound slab of meat.

BisonMav
03-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Smokey's had the best hashbrowns, nice and greasy. Any cut of meat was good, and that deep voice greeting you at the door, or singing happy birthday. 8-)

bisonranch
03-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Obed (sp?) was a good guy. Too bad what happened to him. Fargo is missing a good local steak joint since Smokey's left.

sambini
03-05-2007, 01:04 AM
I know Phil Hansen ate one of those big steaks and he gat a t-shirt for his effort.

87Bisonfan
03-05-2007, 04:43 AM
One memory I have of Smokey's is when my wife and I ate there with a couple of friends one Saturday night. The hostess asked us if we wanted "smoking" or "non-smoking", we said "non-smoking" -- so she led us to our table and proceeded to take the ash trays off the table, thereby making it a "non-smoking" table!

Flanders
03-05-2007, 02:34 PM
It was a 52oz. steak. If you ate it all, you got a free t-shirt and you got to sign your name to the wall of t-shirts of people who had accomplished it. It wasn't free though. I did it in 1990. As was mentioned above the hashbrowns were awesome, and so was the bread and garlic toast. God I miss that place.

IowaBisonToo
03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
While in grad school, we had this program for high school science studnets and had this kid from West Fargo in our lab one year. He was between his junior and senior year and had at that point in his life eaten that 52 oz-er, TWICE. :o This kid could put away the food!

IowaBison
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Nothing was better than Alaskan walleye with hashbrowns and Budweiser on Friday nights.

thought I'd correct it. :)

IL_Bison
03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Smokey's was always very hospitable for NDSU S&S club events as well. Always a good time out there.

So where is the best steak in the F-M area right now?

56BISON73
03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Sounds like it was a great place. Sorry I didnt get to eat there. :-[ :'( :'( :-/PL

Flanders
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Texas Roadhouse.

56BISON73
03-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Texas Roadhouse.

Great ribs and steaks. PL :P

IowaBisonToo
03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Texas Roadhouse - good food but the atmosphere is so typical of the newer joints. Not that I'm complaining but, there's nothing that jumps out at you and is memorable.

Smokey's had crappy tables, bad lighting, and yellowed ceiling tiles and walls from all the smoke. You thought you were going to get something they scraped off the road. But when it came, the steaks weren't what you'd expect. It was and experience to say the least.

Bisonguy
03-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Don't know what you guys see in Texas Roadhouse. I've been to the one in Fargo twice, and thought the steaks were mediocre for a place specializing in steaks, at best. Lonestar has better steaks for a franchised steakhouse in Fargo.

My rankings for steak in FM (and this is only restaurants that I've been to):
1)PD's (although I haven't been there since they moved from downtown)
2) Monte's
3)Fargo Cork
4)Lonestar
5)Texas Roadhouse/ Outback/ Timber Lodge
6) anything else

sambini
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Is PDS STILL OPEN?

Bisonguy
03-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Is PDS STILL OPEN?

I thought it was at the Osgood Clubhouse.

NDSUstudent
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
The steak I had the other week at Texas Roadhouse was great but I have had a few average steaks there as well. The ribs at Texas Roadhouse are alright, at least the ones I had. The main thing I like about Texas Roadhouse is you get a good amount of food for your money.

Bisonguy
03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
For great ribs you need look no further than our tailgate this year (or last year if you were lucky enough to get any!!!). :)

56BISON73
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Don't know what you guys see in Texas Roadhouse. I've been to the one in Fargo twice, and thought the steaks were mediocre for a place specializing in steaks, at best. Lonestar has better steaks for a franchised steakhouse in Fargo.

2) Monte's
3)Fargo Cork
4)Lonestar
6) anything else

You are correct. Unfortunately many of the great family owned steakhouses have closed and all you have left are the chains. Thats one of the resons I like to travel MN, IA, and WI. You can still find a great steak there. Its been along time since Ive had a steak in Fargo so I have nothing to compare it with.
But as far as chains go I havent had a bad steak at Timber Lodge yet.

But if you are ever in Little Rock AR you need to go to the Whole Hog Cafe for the best ribs in the world. (even better than mine) They have won the World B-BQ Championship at the Memphis in May championships. Thier pulled pork is awesome also.

PL

56BISON73
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
For great ribs you need look no further than our tailgate this year (or last year if you were lucky enough to get any!!!). *:)

I buy babybacks by the case. Usually 12-15 racks per case. Is that enough???
Dont want to run out!!!!! I will bring up a case and my dry rub.PL

56BISON73
03-07-2007, 10:40 PM
[quote author=Bisonguy link=1172849714/15#23 date=1173309894]For great ribs you need look no further than our tailgate this year (or last year if you were lucky enough to get any!!!). *:)

Dont want to run out!!!!! I will bring up a case and my dry rub. That is if I am invited????PL

Bisonguy
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
[quote author=Bisonguy link=1172849714/15#23 date=1173309894]For great ribs you need look no further than our tailgate this year (or last year if you were lucky enough to get any!!!). *:)

Dont want to run out!!!!! I will bring up a case and my dry rub. That is if I am invited????PL

Anyone's invited!!!

12-15 racks. Wow, I normally only whoop up 6 racks for tailgating, as I normally par-cook them because there isn't enough time during tailgating to do them right. Of course, there's ALWAYS plenty of other good taligating fare around, as well.

Plenty of "personalities" from Bisonville present, as well. At last count, I think we had around 12-15 semi-regular posters.

sambini
03-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Best ribs I have had are at the Lake fourth of JULY. Wacker in the Hall cooks up some awesome ribs . Chad Stark can also attain that these here ribs are AWESOME BABY.

BisonMav
03-08-2007, 12:12 AM

2) Monte's
3)Fargo Cork
4)Lonestar
6) anything else

I'd put Texas Roadhouse down there just ahead of Bonanza or Ponderosa. Speedway is better IMO, but I just don't see TR at the same level as Outback or Timber Lodge. Just my taste I guess.

Best ribs used to be TNT in Moorhead.

TransAmBison
03-08-2007, 12:15 AM

Anyone's invited!!!

12-15 racks. Wow, I normally only whoop up 6 racks for tailgating, as I normally par-cook them because there isn't enough time during tailgating to do them right. Of course, there's ALWAYS plenty of other good taligating fare around, as well.

Plenty of "personalities" from Bisonville present, as well. At last count, I think we had around 12-15 semi-regular posters.
As far as best ribs go, I give Bisonguy the honors. He knows what he's doing! For steaks, I would have to go with Texas Roadhouse, and then Lonestar. If the steak doesn't come from one of those two places, I'll just make it myself ;)

Bisonguy
03-08-2007, 12:36 AM

2) Monte's
3)Fargo Cork
4)Lonestar
6) anything else

I'd put Texas Roadhouse down there just ahead of Bonanza or Ponderosa. *Speedway is better IMO, but I just don't see TR at the same level as Outback or Timber Lodge. *Just my taste I guess.

Best ribs used to be TNT in Moorhead.

Yeah, I feel guilty putting Timber Lodge and Outback right there with TR, but I was getting tired of making a list. :P

Just ate at Timber Lodge this weekend, and other than the waitress trying to have me order a bunch of crap on top of my steak, it was very tasty.

Bisonguy
03-08-2007, 12:38 AM

Anyone's invited!!!

As far as best ribs go, I give Bisonguy the honors. *He knows what he's doing! *For steaks, I would have to go with Texas Roadhouse, and then Lonestar. *If the steak doesn't come from one of those two places, I'll just make it myself ;)

I'll have a couple bones ready for you right away at the first game (well, at least the first saturday game). :)

56BISON73
03-08-2007, 12:59 AM

Anyone's invited!!!

I usually cook about 20 racks for deer camp so 12-15 is easy if I have a good grill. It usually only takes 2-3 hours at 250 dgrees if you can control the heat.

Or you can grill them at home then wrap them in foil and throw them in a cooler. On the way to the game the ribs keep cooking because of the heat in the cooler. By the time tailgaiting is in full swing the meat is ready to fall off the bones. You can then brown them up just a tad more at the game if you choose

Just a couple of tried and true methods depending on the circumstances.

PL

56BISON73
03-08-2007, 01:04 AM

Anyone's invited!!!

Bison Guy
I tell you what. I will supply the ribs and you and I can compare notes and have fun doing it. PL

Bisonguy
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM

Anyone's invited!!!

I usually cook about 20 racks for deer camp so 12-15 is easy if I have a good grill. It usually only takes 2-3 hours at 250 dgrees if you can control the heat.

That's part of the reason why I don't like actually cooking the ribs at tailgating. If I had a real kick-arse grill that could hold a stable temp, I might try cooking them. Well, maybe not. Another reason I cook them prior to the game is it makes my tailgating experience less labor intensive.

Or you can grill them at home then wrap them in foil and throw them in a cooler. On the way to the game the ribs keep cooking because of the heat in the cooler. By the time tailgaiting is in full swing the meat is ready to fall off the bones. You can then brown them up just a tad more at the game if you choose

PL

I do something similiar to this.

Bison Guy
I tell you what. I will supply the ribs and you and I can compare notes and have fun doing it. PL

Sounds Good!!!!

Hammersmith
03-08-2007, 01:52 AM
[quote author=Bisonguy link=1172849714/15#27 date=1173312904]I usually cook about 20 racks for deer camp so 12-15 is easy if I have a good grill. It usually only takes 2-3 hours at 250 dgrees if you can control the heat.

That's part of the reason why I don't like actually cooking the ribs at tailgating. If I had a real kick-arse grill that could hold a stable temp, I might try cooking them. Well, maybe not. Another reason I cook them prior to the game is it makes my tailgating experience less labor intensive.
You might try adding a couple of fireplace bricks into your grill. Place them next to the coals if you're using charcoal or place them over the unused burner if you're using gas. The bricks will absorb heat and help to regulate the temperature. If you want to be really fancy, you can wrap them in aluminium foil so they don't wick up any fat that drips on them.

Bisonguy
03-08-2007, 01:58 AM
I would need a REALLY big, kick-arse grill if I wanted to cook 6 racks and have a couple bricks in it, as well.

Donations are now open. I accept cash and PayPal :)

ACES1180
03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I am getting really hungry reading about this :)

ACES1180
03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
For great ribs you need look no further than our tailgate this year (or last year if you were lucky enough to get any!!!). *:)

I still love Famous Dave's, but my dad also makes some rockin' ribs...Nothing better than ribs, some beer and Bison football!

56BISON73
03-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I would need a REALLY big, kick-arse grill if I wanted to cook 6 racks and have a couple bricks in it, as well.

Donations are now open. I accept cash and PayPal *:)

BG
My mother in law asked me what I wanted for x-mas this last year. I told here I wanted a new grill. She asked which one do you want. I said one of the stainless steel grills at Lowes with 5 brass burners etc.
It sits on my front deck and I cook probably 80% of our meals on it and is well worth the money IMO. Now I know its easy to say that as she paid for it. But I was going to buy it anyway. She just happened to ask at the right time. Talk about timing!!!!! :D

56BISON73
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
All of this rib talk has got me going. So its ribs for dinner tonight!!!! *3 racks two people. Should be enough dont ya think??? :P PL

NDSU_grad
03-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Bisonguy, three words.
Big. Green. Egg.
They're about 600-900 bucks, but well worth it. I'd be more than happy to kick in 20-30 cents.

TransAmBison
03-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Bisonguy, three words.
Big. Green. Egg.
They're about 600-900 bucks, but well worth it. *I'd be more than happy to kick in 20-30 cents.
I see your 20-30 cents, and raise you $1.00!

SDbison
03-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Anyone's invited!!!

PL

I do something similiar to this.

Bison Guy

Sounds Good!!!!
Have to agree with you Bisonguy. Less hassle cooking during tailgate means more time for drinking. [smiley=beer.gif] It was obvious you got more drinking time last year. ;) And your ribs were awesome!