PDA

View Full Version : Blog

ndsubison1
04-15-2007, 07:00 AM
My friend and I run a sports blog. And to generate some discussion we decided to do a NDSU/UND post (basically did it to prove a point to some ppl). I am a Bison fan and my friend is a UND fan. So check it out if you want and feel free to leave a comment:

http://thesportsflow.blogspot.com/

Bison06
04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Some very good points, but I don't believe it is accurate to think that UND football revenue will ever be on par with NDSU. That is unless they expand the Alerus or build something else.

ndsubison1
04-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Some very good points, but I don't believe it is accurate to think that UND football revenue will ever be on par with NDSU. *That is unless they expand the Alerus or build something else.

that was my friend that mentioned that, not me just to let you know.

Siouxpreme
04-15-2007, 10:51 PM
"First off, it (NDSU Football) generates more revenue yearly. "

How can anyone seriously believe this unless they are totally deluded? *(like this board *;D )

Let's see what kind of revenue Bison football generates:

Tickets
3000 student / game *x free = $0
13000 paying customers @ ~ $15/pop for five games = $975 k

Guarantees:
Minnesota - $300k (this may be high), Ball State - $150 K (high ?) = *$450 k

Suite Rental:
FargoDome keeps these? (except ticket sale ) = $ 0 k

Concessions:
80,000 people x $5 bucks per with 50% profit = $200 k (and does the FargoDome keep this?)

Teammakers (needed to get better seats)
4000 members x 400 $/membership (average, high end donors dig deep) = $1600 k

Advertising
5 games x $20 K/ games = $ 100 k

Total for NDSU = *$3325 k *(and this is a stretch)

UND hockey

Tickets
3000 students x $7/ticket x 14 games = $294 k
3000 tickets (when students gone) x $20/ticket x 6 games = $360 k
8000 adults x $20 / ticket x 20 games = $3200 k <-- just this basically equals Bison football
Tickets are actually more than $20, and much higher for Wisconsin and Minnesota

Suite Rental w/ concessions

48 suites x $50,000 /yr = *$2400 k

Fighting Sioux Club (must be a member to buy season tickets)

8000 x $300 (average, some pay $5000) = $2400 k

Advertising (including arena and cable advertising)

20 games x $50 k/game *= $1000 k

Concessions

235,000 fans x $5 / fan x .5 = $605 k

WCHA revenue

$ 50 k

TotalL *$10,100 k

Which is more, $10.1 Million or $3.3 Million? * ::)

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 11:16 PM
"First off, it (NDSU Football) generates more revenue yearly. "

How can anyone seriously believe this unless they are totally deluded? *(like this board *;D )

Let's see what kind of revenue Bison football generates:

Tickets

Guarantees:
Minnesota - $300k (this may be high), Ball State - $150 K (high ?) = *$450 k

Suite Rental:
FargoDome keeps these? (except ticket sale ) = $ 0 k

Concessions:
80,000 people x $5 bucks per with 50% profit = $200 k (and does the FargoDome keep this?)

Teammakers (needed to get better seats)
4000 members x 400 $/membership (average, high end donors dig deep) = $1600 k

Advertising
5 games x $20 K/ games = $ 100 k

Total for NDSU = *$3325 k *(and this is a stretch)

UND hockey

Tickets
3000 students x $7/ticket x 14 games = $294 k
3000 tickets (when students gone) x $20/ticket x 6 games = $360 k
8000 adults x $20 / ticket x 20 games = $3200 k <-- just this basically equals Bison football
Tickets are actually more than $20, and much higher for Wisconsin and Minnesota

Suite Rental w/ concessions

48 suites x $50,000 /yr = *$2400 k

Fighting Sioux Club (must be a member to buy season tickets)

8000 x $300 (average, some pay $5000) = $2400 k

Advertising (including arena and cable advertising)

20 games x $50 k/game *= $1000 k

Concessions

235,000 fans x $5 / fan x .5 = $605 k

WCHA revenue

$ 50 k

TotalL *$10,100 k

Which is more, $10.1 Million or $3.3 Million? * ::)

How much of this 10.1 does Ralph take?

Siouxpreme
04-15-2007, 11:23 PM
About $5 mill, as the state of ND won't and UND can't pay for any costs associated with the Ralph. *

The Fighting Sioux club revenue goes directly to UND athletics and doesn't go through the Ralph.

From a revenue perspective, UND hockey still generates about 3 times that of NDSU football.

Mr._Bill
04-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Are you talking revenue generated or benefit to the university? Your first post was quite deceptive in either regard. You make it look like everything was UND's, and you left off revenue generated by NDSU that benefits the FFD.

Bottom line, Ralph does pretty good. With those types of revenue numbers, UND would be better off working independently.

Siouxpreme
04-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Are you talking revenue generated or benefit to the university? *The question was revenue generated. *Nobody was discussing the costs. *

BTW, do realize that with 63 full scholarships/Room/board/books, the cost for NDSU football scholarship alone is around $1,000,000. *(Based on $11,240 for ND, $11.6 k for MN, and $19.2 k for outstate, which is much of the NDSU team.) *Throw in coaches salaries, travel, suppolies, etc and NDSU football costs are nearly $2 million. *

Your first post was quite deceptive in either regard. *You make it look like everything was UND's, and you left off revenue generated by NDSU that benefits the FFD.FFD revenue doesn't flow to NDSU, nor does Alerus revenue flow to UND. *Ralph revenue, in excess of costs, does. *BTW, Ohio State football brings in over $50 mill. *Everyone, except apparently you, knows they don't net that much. *Same situation with UND hockey.

Bottom line, Ralph does pretty good. *With those types of revenue numbers, UND would be better off working independently. *Merging the Ralph's budget with UND's would increase UND's athletic budget by 50 - 60%. *It really wouldn't change UND's net. *Instead of having a bigger budget than NDSU by 10%, we'd have a 60% larger budget.

ndsubison1
04-16-2007, 02:31 AM
About $5 mill, as the state of ND won't and UND can't pay for any costs associated with the Ralph. *

The Fighting Sioux club revenue goes directly to UND athletics and doesn't go through the Ralph.

From a revenue perspective, UND hockey still generates about 3 times that of NDSU football.

You are wrong. *Add in all of the grosses for that. *UND Hockey makes no more than $2.5 milliion yearly (and that may even be a little too generous). *In 2002 their annual revenue was around $1.8 million. (Saw it on a UND site). * And I doubt it is up a significant amount from then. Two games alone (Ball St. and Minnesota) got the Bison $800,000. *Plus add ticket sales, merchandise, advertising/sponsorships. *Plus I am pretty sure they get around $1 million, maybe even a little more for broadcasting. Most of the scholarships are payed for by donations anyways. *If I had to guess, NDSU football brings around $2.5-3.5 million annually. *Especially with an impressive 06 season.

Siouxpreme
04-16-2007, 03:22 AM
You are wrong. *Add in all of the grosses for that. *UND Hockey makes no more than $2.5 milliion yearly (and that may even be a little too generous). *In 2002 their annual revenue was around $1.8 million. (Saw it on a UND site). *And I doubt it is up a significant amount from then.UND had nearly 240,000 paying fans attend hockey games the last couple of years. *At almost $20 a pop (average including students) that's $5 mill in ticket sales. *Get a clue. *$1.8 million is what they might get back from the Ralph, but add the Fighting Sioux Club donations to that ($2.4 mill or so).

*Two games alone (Ball St. and Minnesota) got the Bison $800,000.
So Ball St paid NDSU $500,000? * ;D

Plus add ticket sales, merchandise, advertising/sponsorships.See above.

Plus I am pretty sure they get around $1 million, maybe even a little more for broadcasting. *;D ;D ;D *NDSU's media deal pays them zero, nada, no dollars. *

Most of the scholarships are payed for by donations anyways.Teammakers donations pay for scholarships. *Those were included as "football" revenue. Hope you realize that NDSU football is basically a break-even proposition without Teammakers' charity.

If I had to guess, NDSU football brings around $2.5-3.5 million annually. *Especially with an impressive 06 season.No need to guess. *Use facts. *

4mcruenomore
04-16-2007, 03:27 AM
It's still hockey, post on egriz or any other major football forum and you will get a beat down, nobody gives a fuck about hockey.

ndsubison1
04-16-2007, 03:46 AM
You are wrong. *Add in all of the grosses for that. *UND Hockey makes no more than $2.5 milliion yearly (and that may even be a little too generous). *In 2002 their annual revenue was around $1.8 million. (Saw it on a UND site). *And I doubt it is up a significant amount from then.UND had nearly 240,000 paying fans attend hockey games the last couple of years. *At almost $20 a pop (average including students) that's $5 mill in ticket sales. *Get a clue. *$1.8 million is what they might get back from the Ralph, but add the Fighting Sioux Club donations to that ($2.4 mill or so).

*Two games alone (Ball St. and Minnesota) got the Bison $800,000.
So Ball St paid NDSU $500,000? * ;D

Plus add ticket sales, merchandise, advertising/sponsorships.See above.

Plus I am pretty sure they get around $1 million, maybe even a little more for broadcasting.[/quote] *;D ;D ;D *NDSU's media deal pays them zero, nada, no dollars. *

[quote] Most of the scholarships are payed for by donations anyways.Teammakers donations pay for scholarships. *Those were included as "football" revenue. *Hope you realize that NDSU football is basically a break-even proposition without Teammakers' charity.

If I had to guess, NDSU football brings around $2.5-3.5 million annually. *Especially with an impressive 06 season.No need to guess. *Use facts. *

These are all facts. * THEY DO GET PAYED BY THE MEDIA JUST LOOK IT UP. UND Fans- I just can't stand them. You are the one guessing and giving us your Sioux b/s. *Sometimes the truth hurts...

NDSUstudent
04-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Well, NDSU used to get paid by WDAY for media coverage but now that things are in house who knows what will happen regarding media $$$. I would also say UND makes more but who knows how much more, they have to fund womens hockey and they also have a bad contract with the Ralph according to their DI consultants. In the end I don't think UND makes a dime off of hockey but NDSU doesn't make a dime off football either. Both schools have budgets that are close to balanced and whatever profit each sport makes is eaten up by the other programs that can't sustain themselves.

BisonMav
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Tickets

I thought NDSU students paid an activity fee that included Football, Volleyball etc.

BisBison
04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Tickets

I thought NDSU students paid an activity fee that included Football, Volleyball etc.

they do eagle, but when you want numbers to say what you need them to say you conviently leave some out.

99Bison
04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
These numbers on here being thrown around are completely bogus. Seriously they are so off it is rediculous.

Get some psudeo facts with at least some backing before spouting off please. Such as numbers here:
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/main.asp

You will see here there is nothing around either of these schools that goes over 2-3M range.

Speculation on who gets what part of revenue is just that, speculation and given how far off base preme is going he should probably be given a star of insanity.

99Bison
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM

These are all facts. THEY DO GET PAYED BY THE MEDIA JUST LOOK IT UP. UND Fans- I just can't stand them. You are the one guessing and giving us your Sioux b/s. Sometimes the truth hurts...

Ming is right. Use the link above to unconfuse yourself preme.

Siouxpreme
04-17-2007, 01:05 AM
These numbers on here being thrown around are completely bogus. Seriously they are so off it is rediculous.

Get some psudeo facts with at least some backing before spouting off please. Such as numbers here:

You will see here there is nothing around either of these schools that goes over 2-3M range.

Speculation on who gets what part of revenue is just that, speculation and given how far off base preme is going he should probably be given a star of insanity.
Can't believe how slow some people are here. And you guys have your own blog peddling nonsense?

The Ralph's budget does not get reported on the ope.ed site, because the Ralph is a private non-profit. If you don't believe the numbers posted here, go ask someone with a brain in the NDSU athletic department --> they'll confirm the numbers are realistic.

Why do you think the NFL and major league baseball have been demanding new stadiums? It is not because of more ticket sales, it because of the huge benefit for suite rentals. The Ralph's suite sales are more than NDSU ticket sales.

How can you deny that 235,000 tickets sold to UND hockey does not yield almost $4 million?

The values are right in front of you, yet you are too brainwashed to believe them.

BisBison
04-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Can't believe how slow some people are here. *And you guys have your own blog peddling nonsense? *

The Ralph's budget does not get reported on the ope.ed site, because the Ralph is a private non-profit. *If you don't believe the numbers posted here, go ask someone with a brain in the NDSU athletic department --> they'll confirm the numbers are realistic.

Why do you think the NFL and major league baseball have been demanding new stadiums? *It is not because of more ticket sales, it because of the huge benefit for suite rentals. *The Ralph's suite sales are more than NDSU ticket sales. *

How can you deny that 235,000 tickets sold to UND hockey does not yield almost $4 million?

The values are right in front of you, yet you are too brainwashed to believe them. *

No siouxpreme I'm just too bored to care about you guys. YAWN We'll do what we'll do you go on with your lawsuit.

ndsubison1
04-17-2007, 02:49 AM

Can't believe how slow some people are here. *And you guys have your own blog peddling nonsense? *

The Ralph's budget does not get reported on the ope.ed site, because the Ralph is a private non-profit. *If you don't believe the numbers posted here, go ask someone with a brain in the NDSU athletic department --> they'll confirm the numbers are realistic.

Why do you think the NFL and major league baseball have been demanding new stadiums? *It is not because of more ticket sales, it because of the huge benefit for suite rentals. *The Ralph's suite sales are more than NDSU ticket sales. *

The values are right in front of you, yet you are too brainwashed to believe them. *

please stop posting now... your opinion is worthless...

56BISON73
04-17-2007, 03:15 AM

I dont really care what UND hockey does or doesnt do as it doesnt effect NDSU.

I also will add that your attempts at baiting with immature name calling is extremely childish . Thank goodness that some other UND fans who visit this venue have more class than you do.
You may now return to your usual venue so you can tell each other how great you are. *;D
PL

Siouxpreme
04-17-2007, 08:05 AM
please stop posting now... your opinion is worthless...
Correction: the facts presented are too threatening to your limited head space.

sambini
04-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Correction: Life is to short to worry about this stuff. Move on and have a Bud.

BisonMav
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Correction: Life is to short to worry about this stuff. Move on and have a Bud.

+++++++++++++++