PDA

View Full Version : Student Body Pres. and VP

insane_ponderer
04-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Election results were announced tonight, I don't have the numbers but it sounds like Josh Reimnitz of Bismarck, ND and Clara Presser of Grace City, ND are the big winners.

I know everyone has ideas, so what would you as alumni and students like to see them do?

sambini
04-05-2007, 02:02 AM
IS JOSH RELATED TO THE WRESTLING REIMNITZ FAMILY?

NDsportsFan
04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
His Dad is Andy who wrestled at NDSU in the early '70's I believe.

sambini
04-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks++

IowaBisonToo
04-19-2007, 09:58 PM
You know, I've never been big into student body politics. How much power do these people actually have and what can they actually get done? Just an honest question.

BisBison
04-19-2007, 11:04 PM
You know, I've never been big into student body politics. *How much power do these people actually have and what can they actually get done? *Just an honest question.

They have a lot of influence especially on the spending of student fees. As in how much goes to athletics or other activities. They also have a lot of input in building projects such as the wellness center and student union.

sambini
04-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Brings back memories of Maughan-Frazier. They ran a grass roots campaign.

WePharm
04-20-2007, 02:13 AM
I know Clara P and her family. Great people, die hard Bison fans. Clara is a super gal. Also sings in the NDSU Choir.

insane_ponderer
04-20-2007, 03:11 AM
The Student Senate does carry a fair amount of weight. From what I have seen at other schools, NDSU gives the student senate a lot of responsibility.

The biggest things are:

1. Budgeting the entire student fee budge of 2.7 mil (roughly the number this year). The big 7 organizations (athletics, the union, spectrum, etc.) have a set floor but every organization on campus submits a budget and it is overseen and approved by the student senate.

2. University senate. I think 10 student senators get to be members of the faculty "big kids senate". Which doesn't seem important until you realize that if voting as a block it can swing a lot of the major decisions that the faculty and staff make.

3. There are other committees that the senators sit in on, diversity council, arts, etc.

4. There is a lot of communication between student senate and administrators as well. Weekly meetings with Chapman, and Prakash Matthews, input on the downtown campus and the smoking ban are important issues now.

They do have quite a bit of power, and in my honest opinion haven't been as assertive as they could be. I do have a good feeling about this new administration and their ideas and ability to get those ideas done. 8-). I think it is going to be a very productive year.

WYOBISONMAN
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I was on Student Senate for years in both undergrad and graduate school. *They can do a lot.

Wyoherdman
04-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Brings back memories of the 91 election where two wrestlers ran for pres/vp (Miley, and his buddy, I think). There slogan was "vote for the studs, not the scuds" Narrow loss, if I remember correctly.