PDA

View Full Version : Seriously

IowaBison
01-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Anybody know where I can buy a rabbit?

I want to learn how to make rabbit stew.

I'm in Fargo.

insane_ponderer
02-01-2005, 03:12 AM
petco might have them, i know they sell mice and rats for snake food, they might have rabbits for bigger snakes.

Bisonguy
02-01-2005, 03:45 AM
1) Animal research at NDSU.

2) The local 4-H

3) Try calling up Prime Cut Meats or Quality Meats (they're a wholesaler)- they might not sell it, but might know where to get it. Maybe look up "Meat" in the Yellow Pages and ask some of those places, as well ;). They might have some insight to a rabbit rancher in the area.

4)Google it ("Rabbit meat"), and get some via the internet- there are rabbit farms that raise "food-grade" rabbits for restaurants, and some probably sell to individuals.

5)Get a gun and shoot one of the @#$#@%@# things.

6) Put an ad in The Forum classifieds a week or two after Easter asking for unwanted rabbits.

Make sure you wear gloves when handling raw rabbit! . Don't want a case of Tularemia that can be avoided.

UND_Herd
02-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Saw a jackrabbit a couple months ago in a field outside Bismarck. He was a little too much of a mess to make stew, though ;D. Poor guy. I'll keep an eye out for another on for you ;). I'd say cottontails taste better (garden raiders). Jacks are flat nasty, imo (weed eaters). Grab your .22 and find some pasture land. They're easy to find and sometimes very challenging to shoot. However you obtain one, do be careful when handling the raw meet - if not, it can turn out to be an unhealthy venture.

Good luck.

IowaBison
02-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I saw a few Jacks during deer hunting; with my aim I think a store would be my best bet.

I think I'll give Prime Cut Meats or Quality Meats a call, thanks.

JBB
02-01-2005, 05:28 PM
You could shoot the rabbits that come visit my cat during the day. I see their tracks all the time, right up to the patio door to visit with the cat. Of course if you kill the cats friends you will have the cat to deal with.

Rodentia
02-01-2005, 07:20 PM
If you're going to make an SDSU themed stew, you ought to get a genuine jackrabbit instead of just an ordinary rabbit.

After all, it would be inappropriate to make NDSU Bison Stew using ordinary cow meat.

UND_Herd
02-08-2005, 06:53 PM
You can find some inspiration here... www.savetoby.com

Hammerhead
02-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Our neighbor, Mr. Holt, used to make rabbit stew. I was always worried our pet rabbit would sneak out of his cage and end up in his back yard. :P

BisonMav
02-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Patrick Reusse was on the radio this weekend, with a rabbit stew story. His father and his father's best friend made some rabbit stew. Shortly after dinner his father's best friend died of a heart attack.

Some time later Reusse's father died of a heart attack. Sitting in a pot on the stove was rabbit stew. :o

Hammerhead
07-27-2005, 05:50 AM
I think there are some visual instructions in the movie Fatal Attraction. :o

sambini
07-27-2005, 11:16 PM
All kinds of rabbits on south Fargo.

Bisonguy
07-27-2005, 11:36 PM
All kinds of rabbits on south Fargo.

North side, as well. My dogs terminated a pair of rabbits this weekend.