PDA

View Full Version : Do Away with the Loud Music!!!!

KC7
01-13-2004, 04:23 AM
A guy can't even carry a conversation between plays at the bison football home games. The "fake excitement" of playing heavy metal or rap music is a joke. Let the game generate it's own true enthusiasm. Leave the canned music to the NFL, college football can hold it's own without it. Let the band play more!

ndsubison
01-13-2004, 05:37 AM
Uh Oh, KC7. You're not one of ::)THOSE ::) people are you? You should be cheering between plays or getting those around you off their collective @sses. That's why the Dome sounds like a mauseleum during points in the games. I personally get pumped up when I come into the game early and the players are warming up to some kick ass heavy metal or some pumpin' gangsta rap. I like that atmosphere. I also like the cannon, fireworks, etc. We also need to get more people to "thunder" (remember how to thunder) in the moveable sections. The Dome has so much potential to kick ass but it's the lame-o's out there combined with the AARP types that make the UNO players refer to our house as a "nice, quiet barn". That's not cool. :-/

KC7
01-17-2004, 04:38 AM
I remember what true enthusiasm was like when North stands at Dakotah field would stand and cheer when the defense went three and out. I also remember the wood bleachers rumble like thunder on 4th and 1. I just wish we could bring back some of that. Fans back then didn't need to be told to stand at kickoffs, they were already standing because they knew that, " The March is ON!". That's the atmosphere I would like to see again. Be careful who you accuse of being one of "Those".

ndsubison
01-21-2004, 03:56 AM
I remember what true enthusiasm was like when North stands at Dakotah field would stand and cheer when the defense went three and out. * I also remember the wood bleachers rumble like thunder on 4th and 1. * I just wish we could bring back some of that. * Fans back then didn't need to be told to stand at kickoffs, they were already standing because they knew that, " The March is ON!". * That's the atmosphere I would like to see again. *Be careful who you accuse of being one of "Those".

AAhhhhh the Good 'Ol Days! I also remember how to THUNDER. Fact is, I still "Thunder" in the Dome. How 'bout yourself? I promise not to call you "one of those" if you promise not to act like "one of those". Fair enough?

Bisonguy
01-21-2004, 04:19 AM
I liked it better when the students were in the south end zone of the Fargodome (I was there as a student). The aluminum flooring got hella loud when we started stomping on it. The stomping techniques were a carryover from Dacotah Field. Now all the students can do is try to make noise on the concrete floor, or make animals out of those balloon things.

The student section is the best atmosphere barometer in the Fargodome. When the student section gets loud, the chances of some noise in the rest of the dome increases.

Bisonfan1
01-21-2004, 04:32 AM
I totally agree with you Bisonguy, not sure the students would want to give up their sideline seats now though. I used to go over there so I could go nuts and nobody cared, and on occassion wander over to the student section area now when I get scared that everyone around me has no pulse. One of the best moves made all year was when the band got moved, everyone in the place could now SEE the band, and now could actually HEAR the band when they moved to the endzone. It would maybe be nice to see differant student sections spread out throughout the dome "fire up the dead zones" and noise competition between student sections.

Tuk
01-21-2004, 08:22 AM
I think a lot of the atmosphere created at Dacotah will never be replicated at the Dome, BUT there is a definite need of improvement in the loudness level of the Dome.

I think a lot has to do with the noisemakers. More noisemakers=more noise. Its too bad many officials and refs try to quiet the fans by forcing them to get rid of the noisemakers.

Also there is a need to change the whole culture of Bison fans. Many fans have become soft, and don't feel the need to get excited. As new fans come in the game, and cheer loudly, the Dome will also change from one of quiet and calm to a rip roaring stadium of Bison pride.

Herd_Mentality
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Actually - the student section was pathetic this year with a few exceptions....but as a whole, pathetic.

You can't move the student section...that wouldn't be a smart thing to do at this point.

I'm a Team Maker. I'm under 30...and there is a group of us that had tickets together. The first game of the season, we came in...fired up....standing, screaming on the opening kickoff...only to be told within a few minutes by the older Team Makers behind us to "sit down". *sigh* To be young in this town sucks sometimes.

Bisonfan1
01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Im a teamaker, over 40, and going on 20 when Im at a Bison game.We were also told to sit down the first game, and buddy was actually pulled down into his seat (not cool) If there cannot be more than (1) student section in the dome, then NDSU REALLY has to come up with a teamaker section for us that want to stand, yell scream, cheer and give the student section a run for their money. Im tired of "sitting" amongst the dead, and that is why I frequently move even though I have what I consider to be good seats. I understand this isnt for everyone, but if you would sign up for this section than expect to be on your feet. Anyone else with me on this idea that has come up in the past?? A friend of mine who is a former player got crap from a lady READING A BOOK, when he told her that this is a FOOTBALL GAME, not a LIBRARY the area around him what crazy. I dont mind the loud music once in awhile to try and get the crowd going, but why not loud music that the intire Dome can chant to, chant with etc = intimidating to visiting team.

Herd_Mentality
01-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Amen to that last post....Amen!

The music selection kind of stinks though...every once in awhile I'm wondering if they're playing Manheim Steamroller or Yanni.

WYOBISONMAN
01-21-2004, 06:06 PM
It is unfortuanate what has happened to the atmosphere at the FB games. I think that the Team Makers need to make a concerted effort with the Athletic Department to really develop a "home field advantage". Team Makers needs to raise money with out underminging the "home field advantage".

BisonMav
01-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Maybe all the rowdy fans should sit in the endzones. This would make it distracting for the opposing team in the red zone. Start a legendary section like the Montana North End Zone (North End Zone Crazies). The music is not that loud compared to the Metrodome. The Metrodome is too loud. They could also sell ear plugs to those that don't like the loud music.

ndsubison
01-21-2004, 07:08 PM
What about the so-called "Thunder Zones"? *I usually sit in the endzone over by the band & student section since I've found it's about the only place where I can go nuts without being told to "shut up" or "sit down". *What is wrong with people? *I'm all for creating some new "crazy" section(s) and would be more than happy to sit there with some real Bison fans who like to make noise. *Maybe Taylor or the S.I.D. could do a better job with the local media to promote ticket giveaways, t-shirts, thundersticks, etc. *Give people an incentive to come to the game and make some noise in these proposed sections. *Hell, some of these people might even like the product that's on the field. *I think the Dome and Bison Nation needs some new blood so we need to figure out a way to get them in the seats. *I realize that a lot of the older timid folk are ticket-buying people and that revenue always helps but old ladies reading books should not dictate the atmosphere of a Bison FB game. I say do whatever it takes to make that place rowdy and if the older folks quit coming but are replaced by younger people who like to actually have some fun would that be such a bad thing? IMO, the Dome needs an enema. ..........my rant for the day..... :-X

Bisonguy
01-21-2004, 08:48 PM
I agree that there should be a rowdy Team Makers section. I think it should be on the visitors side, right next to the students ;D. If it isn't there, it should be in the south end zone. I don't know how seating priority would work ???

WYOBISONMAN
01-21-2004, 08:55 PM
I am sure Team Makers could work out the details of a "Thunder Zone". That is really needed. Perhaps some of us that are Team Makers should raise a little hell about it.

C-Student
01-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Getting home fans behind the visitors bench is always a good idea. Anyone that has been to Greeley can attest to that. It can be a huge distraction to have a bunch of rowdy, sometimes drunk, fans berating the opposing team.

I'm all for part of the Dome being the "social" fans, but separating fans may be a good idea.

IowaBison
01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
I think seperate seating would be great. We can let the quiet fans sit at home and watch the game on tv while those of us with a pulse sit a little closer to the action.

Tatanka
01-22-2004, 03:06 AM
I say take the entire west side of the dome and make it general admission seating, including students. That way real fans get the good seats, and those that want the comfort and quiet of the east side can fight for those seats or plant themselves in the upper corners of the end zone. I guarantee general admission seating would take care of both the quiet issue and the "sit down you whippersnapper" syndrome. People who actually cheer at the games will naturally separate themselves from others that don't. And since the real fans get there early, the "geezer come lately" crowd can congregate in the nosebleeds.

Thoughts?

ndsubison
01-22-2004, 03:16 AM
I still like the "Thunder Zone" idea, along with some promos to get butts in the seats. I am not currently a Team Maker but I plan on becoming one next year. In the meantime, maybe some of the younger Team Makers can air this out with the elders and make an official, concerted effort with GT & Co to address this issue. Thoughts???

Bisonguy
01-22-2004, 03:19 AM
I can't see the west side going GA. There would be too much money lost from Team Makers. There should be a Team Maker section for those that want to make noise. I think this should be the section directly to the north of the students. There also needs to be better promotion of the "Thunder Zones"(I think they still exist) in the endzones.

BisonMav
01-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Some of the "geezers" cheer a lot more than some of the youngsters at games. Have you ever sat by a family with kids. They leave for food and bathroom during the big plays, and are gone shortly after the half. When they are there, they sit and eat while everyone else is cheering. If the Bison are not playing for a playoff birth, the students don't even show up, at least not many. Maybe 500 students at the CSP game. Don't pick on the Geezers, they aren't the only ones to blame. That's my rant.

GFBison
01-22-2004, 04:07 AM
A women told us to shutup, and when we didn't she reported us to the Dome Gestapo. The usher actually asked us to sit down and be quiet.

My reply to the usher and lady:
IF YOU WANT QUIET GO TO THE LIBRARY!!!!

ndsubison
01-22-2004, 04:46 AM
How about this: let the younger Team Makers work something out with the older ones regarding separate "rowdy" vs "reserved (pun intended)" seating arrangements. In the meantime, would/could somebody post some e-mail addresses of Gene Taylor or the Dome Commissioner so that we may have some (official) influence on this. I'd be more than happy to lobby the appropriate parties in order to make this happen. Let's stop bitching about this and get it done.

SDbison
01-22-2004, 05:38 AM
Some of us older Team Makers (OK I am 45) make more noise than the young around us. Seems like so many people at the game are more concerned about buying concessions and making trips to the bathroom than cheering on their team. Also, I can't believe how many infants are brought to the game by young parents. These people need to get a babysitter and make some noise for the Herd. The real solution is to sell out the Fargodome for Bison games and then over the years only the die hards who really get into the game will take over and become the majority. In summary we need to:
1) Fill all the seats in the Fargodome with Bison fans
2) Make so much noise the other team can't execute
3) Double or even triple the size of the marching band
4) Allow alcohol at tailgating events
5) Build a I-AA powerhouse football tradition
6) After years of I-AA success move to I-A
7) Someday build a new 30,000 seat Dacotah Field

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Oh shit......I am 42.....am I an "older" Team Maker? :o ;D ;)

ndsubison
01-22-2004, 06:28 AM
Oh shit......I am 42.....am I an "older" Team Maker? :o ;D ;)

You're only as old/loud as you want to be ;D.

SDbison
01-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Good point ndsubison! I just read my post from last night. I must have been dreaming as I wrote out my ultimate wish list for Bison football. I guess I have to keep thinking young and yelling at the games and someday, just someday, the crowd will come around! Hopefully some of the other things on my wish list too.

somebison
01-22-2004, 03:47 PM
if we want the dome to be louder... we could lower the roof fifty feet... eliminate the end zone seating and surround the whole place with tin

GiantBison12
01-22-2004, 11:59 PM
One thing I would like to see added to Bison pregame. When they turn the lights off before the team takes the field, I would like to see the clip from Rudy where the coach say's "nobody comes into our house and pushes us around." Personally I think that is one of the coolest movie clips would like to see it added.

Herd_Mentality
01-23-2004, 03:51 PM
For one thing the new video screens could be used for a lot more than they are now...also could play the scene from Animal House to spur on a 4th quarter comeback...

"Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Bisonguy
01-23-2004, 08:45 PM
There's some great ideas in here, guys. Anybody remember the ideas we came up with for the videoboards for the intro last year? A lot of the ideas made their way to the intro. I think there are some people with some pull that actually read these messages.

BisonFan
07-11-2004, 03:56 PM
To get back more to the original topic in this thread, I think Tony put it best on his FargoDome page on this site. To quote Tony:

Like most domes, the FargoDome blasts out selections from the Universal Dome Playlist at just about every opportunity. It's my theory that this actually quiets the crowd, but my experiments with white rats, a boom box, and a videotape of the 1991 Pittsburg State game have proven to be inconclusive. In any case, NDSU has a band which is perfectly able to fill in any quiet spells and add to the noisy ones. They tinker with the music from time to time, so if you're lucky, you'll get to hear the NDSU Gold Star Marching Band playing "Roll out the Barrel" instead of a DJ play God knows what tripe when you go to a game.

bisononce
07-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Don't chase fans out of the dome immediately after the game. Let those so inclined to chat in the halls, observe the post-game interviews or hang out at the overlook above the players' visitors alcove, etc. Of course, the ushers are only following orders in clearing the place. The administrators need to realize they are messing in a negative way with the only game in town.

And, yes, cut way down on the canned music!! We like the dramatic gong just before kick-off.

SDbison
07-12-2004, 04:15 AM
I believe last year we compiled a bunch of suggestions on this board, someone sent them to the appropriate person and several things were changed. The improved intro, more announcer involvement (not always good) fireworks after scores and decreased commercials between downs. This year bring back the gong, improve the type of music played by the band, place the band in the end zone, and others???????? Ultimately we need a bigger band with more percussion.
I wish there was a committee of sorts who surveyed students, alumni and the guy off the street to improve the dome atmosphere each year (including tailgating, pre-game, during the game, halftime and post-game). Now that NDSU is DI we need to step up the effort to act more like a DI institution.
Other than the posters and commercials NDSU doesn't do enough to promote increased attendence. Yes winning is an important factor, so is the schedule, but I think just like other fundraising you can do a lot by getting on the phone. How about discounts to team makers who get a new teammaker to sign up? How about having some of the big business teammakers buy a block a tickets to give to their clients?

Bisonguy
07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
The best improvement to the band would be for people to break out their checkbooks.

That's how SDSU did it.

Bisonfan1234
07-22-2004, 09:58 PM
The band is a distraction. Football fans are there to see football.

roadwarrior
07-22-2004, 10:38 PM
OMG, here we go again ::)

WYOBISONMAN
07-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Tony.....can't you ban someone for plain ass stupidity.....please???????

Bisonfan1234
07-22-2004, 11:14 PM
It's just my opinion.

If you can't deal with it, not my problem.

BisonFan
07-22-2004, 11:52 PM
It's just my opinion.

If you can't deal with it, not my problem.

Some opinions are best kept to yourself!

BisonFan
07-22-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm glad we have the Gold Star Band and I can't imagine Bison Games without them around!

TheBisonator
07-23-2004, 12:33 AM
The band is a distraction. Football fans are there to see football.

It's not college football without a band.

I went to the SCSU game last November, and at Selke Field, they had no band. Instead they had some weak-ass recording of their school song playing over the loudspeakers. I laughed soooooo hard when I heard that. SCSU has 15,000 students, and they can't conjur up a band for their football games?? ::) ::) ::)

Is that the type of thing you want??

Bisonfan1234
07-23-2004, 02:20 AM
Just as long as no money comes from the athletic department.

BTW, I always thought college football was about...well...football. I can't imagine NDSU football without football!

Oh, if you forgot already, SCSU beat us last year. I guess a band doesn't really matter, does it?

BisonFan
07-23-2004, 03:23 AM
College football is about so much more than just a football game....its about an exciting atmosphere. Its about tailgating (complete with grilling, beer (in plastic cups of course!), pop for those who choose that, fun people and good times). College football is about supporting the team on the field whether you are sitting in the stands, standing in the stands, listening on the radio, practicing as part of the band for hours every week to put together half-time and other shorter intermission entertainment that only serves to foster that fun environment. Where would we be without the GSB playing "The Yellow and the Green", "On Bison", singing and playing "HEY BABY!", providing brass ensemble entertainment in the corridors of the dome and just adding some upbeat entertainment to fill some lulls in the dome in a bison blow-out? If the band wasn't there, the game would be a lot less enjoyable. Or, how about the band playing the Star Bangled Banner live before the game? A recording of the Star Spangled Banner is just not the same. Just as "taps" on a tape recorder at a veteran's funeral is not the same as having a bugler play the taps during the military ceremony. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE AND THAT DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE APPRECIATED! CANNED music over the speakers in the dome will never be better than the Gold Star Band! Oh, and why do you always say as long as no money comes from the football budget 1234? It never has come from there and never will. I SUPPORT THE BAND and I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE IN DOING SO! Show some school spirit 1234! As is now, you sound like a party pooper!

Bisonguy
07-23-2004, 03:27 AM
College football is about so much more than just a football game....its about an exciting atmosphere. *Its about tailgating (complete with grilling, beer (in plastic cups of course!), pop for those who choose that, fun people and good times). *College football is about supporting the team on the field whether you are sitting in the stands, standing in the stands, listening on the radio, practicing as part of the band for hours every week to put together half-time and other shorter intermission entertainment that only *serves to foster that fun environment. *Where would we be without the GSB playing "The Yellow and the Green", "On Bison", singing and playing "HEY BABY!", providing brass ensemble entertainment in the corridors of the dome and just adding some upbeat entertainment to fill some lulls in the dome in a bison blow-out? *If the band wasn't there, the game would be a lot less enjoyable. * Or, how about the band playing the Star Bangled Banner live before the game? *A recording of the Star Spangled Banner is just not the same. *Just as "taps" on a tape recorder at a veteran's funeral is not the same as having a bugler play the taps *during the military ceremony. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE AND THAT DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE APPRECIATED! *CANNED music over the speakers in the dome will never be better than the Gold Star Band! *Oh, and why do you always say as long as no money comes from the football budget 1234? *It never has come from there and never will. *I SUPPORT THE BAND and I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE IN DOING SO! *Show some school spirit 1234! *As is now, you sound like a party pooper! * *

Testify, Brother BisonFan!

I would say the VAST majority of Bison fans agree, myself included. ;D

Bisonfan1234
07-23-2004, 03:53 AM
music over the speakers in the dome will never be better than the Gold Star Band!

It is cheaper, though.

As for the rest of your rant: fine, whatever. You pay for them.

WYOBISONMAN
07-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Eloquent Bisonfan.....you are right on target. I think 1234 must be off his meds again. :P

BisonFan
07-23-2004, 05:37 AM
It is cheaper, though.

As for the rest of your rant: fine, whatever. You pay for them.

You get what you pay for! Obviously you don't want to pay for anything....I heard Crookston (no offense to Crookston) needs some more fans and has cheaper tickets...maybe you should go watch them! Or you could go watch SCSU games since they don't appear to have a band...just a thought "sir uno, dos, tres, cautro"...take it and go off on another pointless rant...

Bisonfan1234
07-23-2004, 09:03 PM
You get what you pay for!

I pay for a nights worth of entertainment: NDSU football.

BisonFan
07-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I pay for a nights worth of entertainment: NDSU football.

AND THE PRIDE OF NORTH DAKOTA, THE GSB!

Bisonfan1234
07-23-2004, 11:51 PM
AND THE PRIDE OF NORTH DAKOTA, THE GSB!

They're hardly the pride of NDSU. I consider that great honor to be the football team.

Stay out of the way, GSB!

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 12:04 AM
I'd take the GSB over you at games anyday with your close-minded attitude! Anyone else agree?

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Why the hell are you placing the GSB higher up than the football team?!

It's not liek they're the U marching band or even SDSU's band.

They have what, 25 people?

Jeez.

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm not, i'm an equal oportunity supporter! ;D

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 12:45 AM
The GSB is one of the fundamental parts of the Bison Tradition. Football is the peanut butter and the GSB is the jelly of a damn good PB&J ;D. You could have Bison football without the GSB, but a peanut butter sandwich is not as good as a PB&J (not to mention it would stick to the roof of your mouth :-/)

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 01:01 AM
The GSB is one of the fundamental parts of the Bison Tradition. Football is the peanut butter and the GSB is the jelly of a damn good PB&J

This is completely incomprehensable.

It's utter nonsense.

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 01:57 AM
North Dakota being a midwest state is utter nonsense.

TheBisonator
07-24-2004, 03:03 AM

ZZZZIIIINGGGG!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 03:43 AM

The majority of the state's area and population, including the capital, are in the central time zone.

Enough proof for everyone except the hard of head.

bisonhorn
07-24-2004, 03:43 AM
What is football? It is a sporting industry which survives off of the attendance and support of its spectators. Football - and also every other college and major league sport in existance - therefore could otherwise be classified as a form of entertainment. You pay for each game's ticket to be "entertained" for two hours. Whereas the actual game play supplies the majority of the entertainment, the marching band contributes likewise to the overall effect.

Sports=entertainment for spectators.
Marching band=entertainment for spectators.

The two are put together to strengthen and enrich each spectator's experience at such events. In our particular case, this 'team' of entertainment has been together for over 100 years. Disrupting this cooperation of two entertainment industries would only lessen the total amount of entertainment provided to spectators.

In my opinion, such slashing of entertainment is not something that NDSU or any other sporting club would appreciate.

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 03:46 AM
It is a sporting industry which survives off of the attendance and support of its spectators.

No fb fan in america pays to watch the band and then leave.

Not even the band parents.

bisonhorn
07-24-2004, 04:00 AM
I am otherwise baffled as to why you objected to my statement. Football IS a sporting industry, yes, and it DOES survive off of the support and attendance of spectators.

People pay for football tickets because they want to see the game, yes. The marching band is an additional entertainment added to the game. It is significantly irrelevant that such statement of fans not leaving after the marching band is done was even brought up. Of course people do not leave after the band plays, for that is not the primary entertainment form.

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 04:45 AM
for that is not the primary entertainment form

Everything other than the primary entertainment (the game) is not needed.

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 04:45 AM
1234....everyone knows your thoughts on the band. There is no need for you to keep repeating them to a majority that doesn't share your opinion. You've said your piece, now let it be as we all know where you stand...unfortunately you don't stand behind the band that is behind the Bison Football team in the fall, and the Bison Basketball teams in the Winter. While most of us respect your right to your opinion, we don't need to hear it over and over and over and over and over and over. You've made your point. You can support the football team, while the rest of us support THE BISON TEAMS and THE GOLD STAR BAND!

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 04:46 AM
I am otherwise baffled as to why you objected to my statement. *

It's Bisonfan1234 you're arguing with, that's enough reason to be baffled. ;D

NDSU Football= Peanut Butter
NDSU Gold Star Band= Jelly
Fargodome= Bread
Yummy! ;D ;D ;D

2 out of the 3 TRUE Midwest states are in the EASTERN time zone (OH and IN).

There are football games where fans leave after the halftime band performances. At some games they even stay after the game for a battle of the bands.

fight_on_sioux
07-24-2004, 04:48 AM
No fb fan in america pays to watch the band and then leave.

Not even the band parents.

That my friend is an incorrect statement. My little brother plays in the NDSU pride of the North, or dakota or whatever marching band, and my parents went to each of NDSU's home games and watched the band march at halftime. Right after the band got done performing at halftime, my parents would leave the game. Once they got to know other band parents, they would leave the game with them. So in other words, they bought tickets to just watch the band and when they got done, they left........:-/

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 04:49 AM
2 out of the 3 TRUE Midwest states are in the EASTERN time zone (OH and IN).

First of all, IN is in the central time zone during the summer.

But secondly, OH and IN are not midwest in the present sense of the word. Perhaps when the mississippi was as far west as we could go, but now a days OH is back east.

There are football games where fans leave after the halftime band performances. At some games they even stay after the game for a battle of the bands.

I said football fans. Not band parents who don't care about "that thing with the ball". They're just there to see their child play.

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 04:53 AM
Hmmmmmmm...Hmmmmmmm.....sometimes its best to say nothing at all 1234.

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 05:09 AM
According to 1234 we don't need:

1. A SID
2. A Band
3. Any form of entertainment other than football at the football games
4. Basketball Teams
5. Any Women's teams at all
6. Track/Cross Country
7. Wrestling
8. Baseball
9. Softball
10. Quality academic progams because they might take money that would be better ??? spent on Bison Football. * This is college football. *Its amateur athletics. *From the way you talk 1234 it sounds like you expect NDSU to field an NFL team with a George Steinbrenner(I know he's baseball guy) management philosophy. * That philosophy being to spend whatever money it takes to be successful and sacrifice greatly in other areas in order to achieve that one-faceted success. *Is that really what you want 1234? *A great football team, and a crappy University?

What's next 1234? No referees at sporting events? No cheerleaders? *No Thundar? *Do they cost too much money and jeopardize the success of the football team? *LOL

Wake up 1234!

p.s. I listed the other sports teams because you said the only sport anyone cares about is football, so don't say you didn't say that. *

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 05:09 AM
First of all, IN is in the central time zone during the summer.

What sports does NDSU have in the summer?

But secondly, OH and IN are not midwest in the present sense of the word. Perhaps when the mississippi was as far west as we could go, but now a days OH is back east.

Well, it looks like the U.S. stretches all the way to the Pacific ocean, now. Rugby, ND is the central point of North America, so obviously ND is in the middle of the U.S. The Midwest would have to be to the west of the middle, so Montana and states to the west are the Midwest. This, of course, relegates North Dakota as a Great Plains or High Plains state (exactly like it is currently). ::)

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 05:16 AM
I do hope they allow the GSB to play at the tailgating before the game. ;D ;D

fight_on_sioux
07-24-2004, 06:00 AM
The Gold Star Band (glad I know what its officially called ;)) is three times the marching band that UND's is. When they came up to play at the SU-UND game I was embarrassed for UND's band... :-[

Band's are part of college football. I don't know one major DI school that doesn't have a marching band at halftime. I personally think they're great and an added incentive to watch a good football game.

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 06:04 AM
According to 1234 we don't need:

1. A SID
2. A Band
3. Any form of entertainment other than football at the football games
4. Basketball Teams
5. Any Women's teams at all
6. Track/Cross Country
7. Wrestling
8. Baseball
9. Softball
10. Quality academic progams because they might take money that would be better spent on Bison Football.

Oh I'm sorry. Are you done putting words in my mouth yet? Need more time?

1. SID - whatever. I don't really care if we have one or not. It sounds to me like the job could be filled by an automated phone system.
2. No band required.
3. The game is the entertainment. Get serious.
4. As far as I know, BOTH the men's and woman's teams make money. Any team that makes money can stay as far as I'm concerned.
5. Never said that. I simply said that any team that makes money can stay.
6-9. See above. However I KNOW wrestling makes money. There is wrestling tradition here.
10. Academics and athletics are completely seperate. In fact, and I know I've said this before, I'd be perfectly fine if the athletic department was completly independant of the school. The only thing they should share is the name.

As for the rest of your rant: the team needs to do whatever is legally and economically possible to win.

What sports does NDSU have in the summer?

My mistake. IN is in the central time zone for both the summer AND the fall.

Well, it looks like the U.S. stretches all the way to the Pacific ocean, now. Rugby, ND is the central point of North America, so obviously ND is in the middle of the U.S. The Midwest would have to be to the west of the middle, so Montana and states to the west are the Midwest. This, of course, relegates North Dakota as a Great Plains or High Plains state (exactly like it is currently).

Where is the logic? You're throwing out things in hope that they fit together somehow.

Look, to me midwest is synonomous to central. OK? Midwest US means central US to me. Look at a map. IN and OH are not in the middle. ND is.

I do hope they allow the GSB to play at the tailgating before the game.

Sure, let them go unnoticed and unappriciated. If you really cared about them, just watch them during half time and clap when they're done while you get ready for the most exciting 2nd half in america.

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 06:27 AM
Where is the logic?

It's 1234 logic.

Once again, Indiana is in the EASTERN TIME ZONE, they just don't follow daylight savings time.

Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana have been and always will be the Midwest to me. It's just a bunch of idiots that didn't know what to call Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota tried using the term "upper midwest". Some people bought that load of crap. Indiana is the only midwest state that's remotely close to any of those states.

North Dakota is a Great Plains or High Plains state.

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Once again, Indiana is in the EASTERN TIME ZONE, they just don't follow daylight savings time

You can look at it any way you want. Right now, they're in the Central Time Zone.

Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana have been and always will be the Midwest to me. It's just a bunch of idiots that didn't know what to call Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota tried using the term "upper midwest". Some people bought that load of crap. Indiana is the only midwest state that's remotely close to any of those states.

North Dakota is a Great Plains or High Plains state.

You can use whatever made up names you want. ND is in the middle of the US. IN and OH are in the east. IL however is in the central time zone and are in the middle.

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 04:55 PM
The majority of Indiana is in the EASTERN time zone, but they don't follow daylight savings time (it's called Eastern Standard Time). ::)

Read up and learn-http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/indiana_time_zone.shtml

You can use whatever made up names you want. ND is in the middle of the US. IN and OH are in the east. IL however is in the central time zone and are in the middle.
Yup, ND is in the middle of the US. That means the midwest is Montana (west of the middle or middle of the west). ::)

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 05:03 PM
The middle means the central time zone. Mountain and Pacifc are west and East is east.

ALL of IN is in the Central Time Zone at this moment and will be until we change to DS time in the winter.

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Middle would be the dividing line between the central and mountain time zones ::) The central time zone name is not central in the present sense of the word. Perhaps when the mississippi was as far west as we could go, but now a days the central time zone is not the middle.

Congress amended the Uniform Time Act in 1972 and put most of Indiana in the Eastern Time Zone.

btw- DST begins and ends in April/October, not winter ::)

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Middle would be the dividing line between the central and mountain time zones The central time zone name is not central in the present sense of the word. Perhaps when the mississippi was as far west as we could go, but now a days the central time zone is not the middle.

Three zones: west, central, and east. Roughly even number of states in each zone.

The only way to do this is for the Pacific and Mountain to be west, Central to be central, and East to be east.

Congress amended the Uniform Time Act in 1972 and put most of Indiana in the Eastern Time Zone.

It's in the central time zone now.

Bisonguy
07-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Three zones: west, central, and east. Roughly even number of states in each zone.

The only way to do this is for the Pacific and Mountain to be west, Central to be central, and East to be east.

And one zone takes up nearly half the area of the US? LOL *::)

It's in the central time zone now.

It's in the Eastern Time Zone, just as Arizona is in the Mountain Time Zone and doesn't follow DST. A state can't change time zones, but can choose to follow DST or not. The government says so.

Tatanka
07-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Is the whole central time zone on mountain time for the first hour of DST?
Please, for the love of Pete, don't bait him. Haven't we seen enough?

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 07:30 PM
ummm...I though this was about the fine musical entertainment at BISON sporting events. How the heck did it turn into a discussion about time zones ??? ???

Bisonfan1234
07-24-2004, 07:58 PM
And one zone takes up nearly half the area of the US? LOL

Not one time zone! I already said BOTH the Pacific and Mountain Time Zones would compromise the area known as the "Western US".

BisonFan
07-24-2004, 08:11 PM
I think its time for Tony to issue a GAG ORDER!

Tatanka
07-24-2004, 09:43 PM
++

rockbison
08-31-2004, 06:10 AM
they definately took out the canned music for their first d-1 game and had the band play more, did anyone else notice that?

they had some new songs and it sounded like they were chanting.....sounds like they're taking what we've dished at them to heart and grown with it.

does anyone know where we can get those chants they were yelling throughout the game? i think the students and the teammakers might want to learn some of them so that the enthusiasm can only increase more!

KC7
10-02-2004, 03:57 AM
That's great to hear, I can't wait to check out the atmosphere for myself.

All I wanted with this thread was for a more college like enthusiasm, and less NFL type hype.

TbonZach
10-09-2004, 05:24 AM
they definately took out the canned music for their first d-1 game and had the band play more, did anyone else notice that?

they had some new songs and it sounded like they were chanting.....sounds like they're taking what we've dished at them to heart and grown with it.

does anyone know where we can get those chants they were yelling throughout the game? i think the students and the teammakers might want to learn some of them so that the enthusiasm can only increase more!

If you would want, I could get them to you... being that I'm in the band and all. ;D There's a few that I think that might want to be kept quiet, but I could definatly get them to you.

Bisonguy
10-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Great job by the GSMB at the game!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TbonZach
10-10-2004, 08:37 PM
;D Thank you! We do what we can. ::) lol We love hearing the fans cheer us on!

mikelsch
10-11-2004, 07:14 PM
First of all, I enjoy the GSMB and thank them for all their hard work. I have a suggestion: I would like to see NDSU cut the canned music at the Dome, and have the band play a much more prominent role. If anyone has been to a big time DI-A game, the band plays all the music. For example, I really liked SDSU's first down chant/song. We should have one of those. Not the stupid PA announcer yelling...that's another Bison first down. Other things to check out...University of Wisconsin's band has a really fun tune, played by the band, when they score a touchdown. It's not their school song, but more of a festive song that everyone seems to dance to. Save the school song for other moments that need some inspiraton.

GCWaters
10-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Take a look at the southern schools that are or were DI-AA that use the band prominently--Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State (Alabama), Troy State--great marching band traditions that whip the crowd into a frenzy...MUCH better than the canned music in the dome...

JBB
10-11-2004, 11:19 PM
That canned music has to cost something, maybe that money should go to the band for sure?

Trimmy
10-12-2004, 12:47 AM
band members -

what does "perc" mean on your white board?

ps - great job at Brookings, I was standing right next to you. I love the enthusiasm you all show.

BisonFan
10-12-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm not a band-member, but I know "perc" means percussion (i.e. those people banging on drums, gongs, bells, shaking maracas, glockenspiels, whatnot).

BisonBBALL
10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
A "Thunder Zone" or multiple Thunder Zones would be a good idea. That way the librarians could read in peace! :o

Bisonfan1
10-26-2004, 04:35 AM
Hey, there you go with a great idea, MULTIPLE THUNDERZONES, family thunderzones, teamakers thunderzones, former players thunderzones, etc etc, I LIKE IT, whatever it takes to get some concentrated cheer sections going Im all for !!!! So for now call the ticket office and tell them you want in the Teamakers Thunderzone next year ( Join Teamakers) in section 21, overflow that into section 20 (if you want to spend more $ for better seats ) Lets Rock & Roll !!!!

TransAmBison
11-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Personally, I think the rowdiest teammakers should be moved to the section starting north of the student section, and keep heading north through the stands as support grows. Get all the rowdy people together, rather than separate. Maybe if they are closer they will grow. Separated, I think they will be stomped out by the librarians. But, I also think the only way to pull something like this off is an organized effort, such as a strong showing to our athletic director.

JBB
11-01-2005, 03:54 AM
I think thats an excellent idea. Its convenient to the tailgate section too. I think tailgaters should be able to leave at half to check the rigs. 8)

sambini
11-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Keep up the good work GOLD STAR MARCHING BAND.

DomeGuy
11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Keep up the good work GSMB??? Yeah, those 4 songs you know are really good.../end sarcasm

You can't be serious...

El_Chapitan
11-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Whats the difference between the GSMB and any other college band. Go to U of M, SDSU, the school up North, etc. All they play is 4 songs. We have 27 songs in the folder which we play all of. We do play SOME more than others because they are the only ones which fit in the time frame which we are given (a.k.a. the 20 secs between plays) and we play every down. And if you are so intent on getting more songs for us to play, give us money so we can purchase them.

sambini
11-04-2005, 04:30 AM
Domeguy I've been to many other college games and the bands only play so many songs. The GSMB they are college students that practice and should be commended on all their hard work.

DomeGuy
11-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I think the students in the GSMB do try their best...I think the problem isn't with the students... in fact, I'm willing to say that if the students were given more control of what they perform and what they do during games, that the band as a whole would be better for the atmosphere during game day.

I've been to countless college games, primarily football, basketball and hockey... do I think the GSMB measures up to some that I've seen at other venues? Not really... sorry.

mello_wes
11-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I am a member of the band, and I would tend to agree with the last post, if the students were given more control we would probably get a little more into it, but I'm not entirely sure that would solve all our problems either.

I would also have to agree that we don't measure up to other college bands that I have seen. To be honest, I have been a little dissatisfied with our program from day 1, but given what we have I think we do an ok job. could definately be better, I won't agrue with that, but I don't know what there is that can be done to make things better with the band.

I think a big thing that hurts the band is that a majority of its members seem to be satisfied where we are now, there isnt a lot of motivation within the band to get better.

BisonBacker
11-22-2005, 02:18 PM
It's sad to see that a member of the band feels that way. I think the band members should have more input into what they perform and do. I would like to see a bigger band and a wider selection of music. I think they do a good job and I'm not comparing them to others. I never was in a band and wouldn't suggest that I know how to make anything better for them but I think its sad to see a band member who feels the way he does as was stated in the last post. Please don't give up, keep on trying maybe if you convice enough voices in the band that you would like to have some say in the music ect they will listen. ??????

bisonmike
11-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Take a look at the southern schools that are or were DI-AA that use the band prominently--Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State (Alabama), Troy State--great marching band traditions that whip the crowd into a frenzy...MUCH better than the canned music in the dome...

My cousin played in the band for Georgia Tech and their band was nuts. They were the craziest fans, the school flew them to every game (home and away) and he said they were always playing music after every big play to pump up the crowd. I think the band plays a huge part of the atmosphere of college football too bad it really hasn't caught on in the north.

WYOBISONMAN
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
My cousin played in the band for Georgia Tech and their band was nuts. *They were the craziest fans, the school flew them to every game (home and away) and he said they were always playing music after every big play to pump up the crowd. * I think the band plays a huge part of the atmosphere of college football too bad it really hasn't caught on in the north.

+++

JBB
11-22-2005, 09:19 PM
I watched the whole halftime show. *A lady behind me and my mother both used to be in the band. *I enjoyed the show and wish they would put it up on the screens when they are marching. *You could see the patterns move a lot better that way. *After the game I saw a bandmember, walked over and congratulated him and the band. *I meant it. *I like the GSMB. *If it ever gets better thats a bonus for me I guess?

BisBison
11-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I watched the whole halftime show. *A lady behind me and my mother both used to be in the band. *I enjoyed the show and wish they would put it up on the screens when they are marching. *You could see the patterns move a lot better that way. *After the game I saw a bandmember, walked over and congratulated him and the band. *I meant it. *I like the GSMB. *If it ever gets better thats a bonus for me I guess?
+++JBB I was thinking the same thing at the last game. Why couldn't we put the band on the video boards for the halftime show? They do it at Goopher's games, they even have a camera man running around on the field to get close-ups. They also mic up the band so you have sound even when the band is playing to the other side of the dome. Just a couple little things that add to the excitment.

Tatanka
11-23-2005, 01:29 AM
My cousin played in the band for Georgia Tech and their band was nuts. *They were the craziest fans, the school flew them to every game (home and away) and he said they were always playing music after every big play to pump up the crowd. * I think the band plays a huge part of the atmosphere of college football too bad it really hasn't caught on in the north.
+ freaking +

TransAmBison
11-23-2005, 02:02 AM
I would love to see NDSU throw some money the band's way. Add some scholarships and help the band grow.

mello_wes
11-23-2005, 11:41 PM
if there are a lot of people out there who support the band, I would encourage you to tell somebody that you feel the same way as TransAm... because we could sure use it. the best bands out there have a whole staff of instructors, but the GSB has 1 man, the director of bands. I will go by the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" standard with him. This year we also had 2 grad students, which did a good job, but there is just not enough instruction for the band to ever get good. No one has any marching experience, so it's kind of like me trying to teach an engineering course when I am a music major.

it's good to hear there is support out there, really. so thanks for saying it!

sambini
11-24-2005, 04:12 PM
My cousin played in the band for Georgia Tech and their band was nuts. *They were the craziest fans, the school flew them to every game (home and away) and he said they were always playing music after every big play to pump up the crowd. * I think the band plays a huge part of the atmosphere of college football too bad it really hasn't caught on in the north.+++++

TransAmBison
11-25-2005, 01:31 AM
play your heart out and have some fun. I don't like it when I hear somebody ragging on the band...people can come up with a positive solution instead.