PDA

View Full Version : Why not the Dome?

IowaBison
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Why don't the basketball teams play in the Dome?

Sure it would be a little lonely for some (most?) games, but it's lonely in the BSA now.

roadwarrior
12-05-2005, 08:10 PM
We did play there once, for an NCC holiday tournament and it SUCKED.

IowaBison
12-05-2005, 09:08 PM
could you elaborate, roadwarrior?

BisonBacker
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
We did play there once, for an NCC holiday tournament and it SUCKED.
I don't know why you say that it sucked, I was at basketball games there when the cba or whatever it was played there. I know if given the choice between the dome's basketball setup and the BSA I'd take the Dome every time.

IowaBison
12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
I was at a Harlem Globetrotters game there last spring and it seemed okay (it was the Harlem Globetrotters playing and a bunch of five year olds in attendance).

Gully
12-06-2005, 12:05 AM
I remember the NCC tournament in the Dome. It wasn't too bad. I'll say this though, they shouldn't have games in there on a regular basis unless it's a large crowd.

It's too bad Miles doesn't know coach K and could call in a personal favor. That would pack the dome.

Rodentia
12-06-2005, 01:04 AM
I suppose games could be played there if they need more time to do renovations at the BSA.

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 01:53 AM
Trying to renovate the BSA is like trying to take a 58 chevorlet and make it into a 2005 Lexus. I just think its throwing good money after bad. As far as the dome is concerned for basketball the only thing that would be a drawback to it is having games there with only a few thousand would make it seem empty and thats it. I don't see anything else wrong with it.

roadwarrior
12-06-2005, 02:37 AM
If we were to play a couple of home games against the big name opponents at the Fargodome and the rest of the games at the BSA, would our players lose the home court advantage since it would be foreign to them also?

I know the athletic department is seriously thinking of having some games at the Fargodome. For instance when the Gopher women come to Fargo next season.

kchats
12-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Why are you getting down on the BSA renovations, BisonBacker? The renderings I saw when they announced the renovations it mentioned chairback seating for around 7,000. From the attendence figures I have been reading the Bison have been getting less than 3,000 so far this season, would that even pay the rent at the dome? You seem to forget the City owns the Dome and NDSU just leases it for their games. NDSU only gets so many guaranteed dates in the dome so why waste them on 2,500 fans for a basketball game when the BSA seats 6,000?

Last I heard the fundraising is going well for alot of things but the renovation for the BSA is at about 50%. How do you propose to pay for a $70 million new arena when we aren't done with the fundraising for a $16 million renovation?

sambini
12-06-2005, 03:59 AM
I've heard they are trying to get TEXAS TECH and Coach Bobby Knight in the DOME?

kchats
12-06-2005, 04:04 AM
He might rip out the first row of seats at halftime when the Bison are leading by 25 points. ;)

sambini
12-06-2005, 04:11 AM
That would be a nice draw?

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Why are you getting down on the BSA renovations, BisonBacker? *The renderings I saw when they announced the renovations it mentioned chairback seating for around 7,000. *From the attendence figures I have been reading the Bison have been getting less than 3,000 so far this season, would that even pay the rent at the dome? *You seem to forget the City owns the Dome and NDSU just leases it for their games. *NDSU only gets so many guaranteed dates in the dome so why waste them on 2,500 fans for a basketball game when the BSA seats 6,000?

Last I heard the fundraising is going well for alot of things but the renovation for the BSA is at about 50%. *How do you propose to pay for a $70 million new arena when we aren't done with the fundraising for a $16 million renovation?
Becuase of the obvious reasons that the BSA is only a temporary fix even with the renovations. Have you been to the BSA lately? I have and most folks I talk to have said the same thing. If your going to do a fund raising project and put millions into the BSA save the money and raise the amount needed to build a new building. Putting money in that old building is a waste plain and simple.

tony
12-06-2005, 04:54 AM
What are the obvious reasons that the BSA is a temporary fix?

kchats
12-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Talk to Gene Taylor and he will tell you in order to get an arena that is worth building it will cost as much if not more than the FargoDome. As a mid-major division I school the BSA will be a great arena once renovated. The administration is doing a first class renovation not a quick little fixer up. The BSA will be a great arena after the $16 million renovation. I'm sure Gene Taylor would be happy to visit with you about it especially if you tell him your checkbook will be open.

kchats
12-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Missouri State plays its basketball in an arena that is very similar to the BSA. Theirs seats 8,846 the BSA will seat about 7,000 or so. Sounds pretty comparable to me.

http://www.missouristatebears.com/facilities/hammons/

I will more than likely be in attendence this Saturday either to watch their women's team play Oklahoma or their men's team play Detroit. I will let you know what it is like for basketball.

Rodentia
12-06-2005, 06:27 AM
It costs a whole lot more money to build a new arena than it does to build a renovate an existing arena. You've got a perfectly good roof and walls, why waste the money? I think you would be surprised how much a good renovation can improve a facility.

The analogy between a 58 Chevy and a Lexus is flawed. For one, a 58 Chevy is a collector's item. ;D Secondly, there is not a fundemental difference between a new arena and a renovated arena.

NDSUstudent
12-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Basketball in the dome is fine as long as the crowd is into the game. I was at the Fargo South-Devils lake 5th place game last year and the atmosphere was good and there probably was only 2500 people in the stands and if you can fill the Dome to capcity the atmosphere is great. As for the BSA it is a dump and should be blown up, I really don't want to see it renovated. A nice new arena can be built at a price range of 20-30 million and I think the Chapman and Taylor should explore builing a new arena. Here are some new arena's that have been built in recent years.

Gonzaga(6,000 seats 25 million)
http://fansonly.com/photos/schools/gonz/non-sport/mccarthey-athletic-inside-560.jpg

UNI(6,100 seats 22.4million)
http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/images/mcleod4.jpg

Alright, after seeing the McLoed Center at UNI it really has me wondering what in the world are we doing sticking 16 million into the BSA when 22.4 million will get us something much better. The BSA has served it's purpose and now it is time to give the NDSU basketball program the first class arena it needs.

IowaBison
12-06-2005, 02:07 PM
If we were to play a couple of home games against the big name opponents at the Fargodome and the rest of the games at the BSA, would our players lose the home court advantage since it would be foreign to them also?

That's a very good point.

Rodentia
12-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Maybe $6,400,000.00 is chump change for you, but for the rest of us, that's a whole lotof money. Secondly, is there something wrong with the walls and roof of the BSA? If the BSA is a dump, renovation fill "undumpify" it.

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 02:39 PM
What are the obvious reasons that the BSA is a temporary fix?
Here's the most obvious reason I can come up with to back my point. Look at nearly every photo or other arena's, then look at the BSA. The building's height is a problem. Unless your going to remove the roof and build it taller (I'm joking) your going to end up with a renovated building that in my opinion just isnt going to cut it. If the roof was higher I would say you had a chance but I just don't see it being a permanent fix and when your talking about spending 15-20 million or whatever the final numbers are going to be to upgrade a facility that has fatal flaws to begin with its a waste of money in my opinion. :-/

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Maybe $6,400,000.00 is chump change for you, but for the rest of us, that's a whole lotof money. Secondly, is there something wrong with the walls and roof of the BSA? If the BSA is a dump, renovation fill "undumpify" it.
See my last post!

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
To further prove my point, look at the photos of frost arena and the scoreboard with the new daktronics displays. Even if you moved the scoreboard up to the roof at the BSA and then put those same monitors under the scoreboard it would hang just over the floor literally. No way it could be done. Face it folks the BSA has problems and throwing money at it no matter what the amount isn't going to change that. :'(

bisonmike
12-06-2005, 03:03 PM
A little bit off topic, but I was thinking with us making the move to DI, what would it take to host a opening round of the NCAA tournament, men's or women at the Fargodome. I'm sure the sites are bid on but does the NCAA have any stipulations such as community size, hotel room availibility or arena size. I got the idea when watching the opening round at Boise State last year. Boise is bigger than F/M, but not that much bigger and the arena they played in for the opening round seated about 12 -13 grand and if I'm not mistaken, the dome would seat close to 14 or 15 in a basketball set up. That would be some great exposure for NDSU, our basketball program and the Fargo/Moorhead community if we were to somehow land those games.

IowaBison
12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Here's the most obvious reason I can come up with to back my point. *Look at nearly every photo or other arena's, then look at the BSA. *The building's height is a problem. *Unless your going to remove the roof and build it taller (I'm joking) your going to end up with a renovated building that in my opinion just isnt going to cut it. *If the roof was higher I would say you had a chance but I just don't see it being a permanent fix and when your talking about spending 15-20 million or whatever the final numbers are going to be to upgrade a facility that has fatal flaws to begin with its a waste of money in my opinion. :-/

My sentiment is that spending $5 to $10 million dollars (if that) to tailor the FargoDome for basketball would be money well spent.

The BSA also needs attention, but the proposed makeover isn't what I have in mind.

Bison_Dan
12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
You have to remember Rome wasn't built in a day. *Build a winning men's and women's DI bb program in the BSA, then building a new bb arena will be no problem.

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I never said it was, I'm just pointing out that putting money into that building may not be our best option. I think people are going to be disappointed in the final results if they renovate it. Maybe they will prove me wrong, I hope they do but I just see that building as having some inherent flaws that I don't think renovation can overcome.

kchats
12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I emailed Gene Taylor about the UNI basketball arena when they were building it. He said that is a bare bones arena and it isn't anything NDSU would be interested in. The Bison use the BSA for indoor track and field, wrestling etc. They also house their administrative offices and have locker rooms for all the sports along with the weight room in the BSA. It will require renovation anyway because they won't be able to put all of that into a basketball arena. As I said earlier a new basketball arena will cost about the same as the FargoDome did when it was built if not more. The information and renderings I have seen of the BSA following the renovation make it a first class facility for a mid-major division I school.

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I emailed Gene Taylor about the UNI basketball arena when they were building it. *He said that is a bare bones arena and it isn't anything NDSU would be interested in. *The Bison use the BSA for indoor track and field, wrestling etc. *They also house their administrative offices and have locker rooms for all the sports along with the weight room in the BSA. *It will require renovation anyway because they won't be able to put all of that into a basketball arena. *As I said earlier a new basketball arena will cost about the same as the FargoDome did when it was built if not more. *The information and renderings I have seen of the BSA following the renovation make it a first class facility for a mid-major division I school.
First off a larger arena such as the one UNI built could be built with the options of adding the extras later. You can't tell me that a revamped BSA would be better then a new building that would have the capability to be finished how you want with all the bells and whistles even if it meant initially you would have as he says a BareBones arena to start out with. I would also like to see these renderings your referring to, are they available to the public or do you have a friend on the inside who showed them to you? Just curious. I can't believe I'm the only one who questions putting money into that old building. I still think its a huge mistake.

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 08:23 PM
One other question, did he (Gene) say why it wouldn't be anything NDSU would be interested in? I'm curious as to why he would make that statement.

Flintstone
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
You can do a lot of renovating for 18 million dollars. If I'm not mistaken, that would be one of the largest projects dollar wise that NDSU has ever done.

I don't think any of us can pass judgement on the renovation until we see some renderings of the renovated facility. It's hard to picture what that much money will do to the place without actually seeing it.

BisonBacker
12-06-2005, 10:15 PM
You can do a lot of renovating for 18 million dollars. *If I'm not mistaken, that would be one of the largest projects dollar wise that NDSU has ever done.

I don't think any of us can pass judgement on the renovation until we see some renderings of the renovated facility. *It's hard to picture what that much money will do to the place without actually seeing it.
I have already said I would like to see some renderings, Apparently KChats has some inside info or he hasn't checked the board lately but I don't remember seeing any pictures or drawings of the revamped BSA. Did I just miss them or are they missing in action for everyone but KChats?

Bisonguy
12-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I have already said I would like to see some renderings, Apparently KChats has some inside info or he hasn't checked the board lately but I don't remember seeing any pictures or drawings of the revamped BSA. *Did I just miss them or are they missing in action for everyone but KChats?

There were some other renderings on the board, but here's the link to the outside- http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/bsa02.JPG and the inside -http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/bsa01.JPG

RedRiver
12-06-2005, 10:41 PM
There were also design layouts in The Forum a year or so ago. Don't forget, the rennovated BSA also includes expansion to the west to accomodiate new practice courts and training rooms. Forget the Dome, it is city-owned and not condusive for basketball.

WYOBISONMAN
12-06-2005, 10:49 PM
There were also design layouts in The Forum a year or so ago. *Don't forget, the rennovated BSA also includes expansion to the west to accomodiate new practice courts and training rooms. *Forget the Dome, it is city-owned and not condusive for basketball.

Agreed.....remember what a pain in the ass getting the locker rooms and FB offices was.......NDSU needs to control the BB facility.....

roadwarrior
12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
The addition/remodel of the BSA includes such things as: 2 new basketball practice gyms, new weight room, equipment room, 100 seat auditorium, offices, Bison team store, Hall of Fame room, Teammaker room, new entry foyers, and new locker/offices for all sports (other than football).

Then the new basketball floor (installed last season), new scoreboards (this season) and all new seating in the arena with folding seat backs, and I think a new surface on the indoor track.

So, as you can see, probably the bulk of the money will be spent for areas to the west of the main arena. These are improvements that are needed regardless of a new basketball arena if we get one down the road.

Someone mentioned the low ceiling height. While I dont deny that its low compared to most and the new scoreboard for Frost Arena might actually touch the floor. The new BSA scoreboards were designed specifically for the space and not just copies of another scoreboard installation.

I dont think much of anything in the project is finalized except what has already been spent. The amount of money available will dictate what the final project consists of.

Bisonguy
12-06-2005, 11:08 PM
There were also design layouts in The Forum a year or so ago. *Don't forget, the rennovated BSA also includes expansion to the west to accomodiate new practice courts and training rooms. *Forget the Dome, it is city-owned and not condusive for basketball.

It was only about six months ago- NDSU arena plans are taking shape (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=92623&section=news)

This story features a rendering of the interior, plus one of the lockerroom, and one of the track configuration.

kchats
12-06-2005, 11:18 PM
The track is supposed to have banked curves. I believe they stated in the Forum the other day the video game uses the renderings sent to them to create the Bison basketball arena and not the current setup. I thought everything in the renovation plan sounded like it needed to be done and that they are doing it first class. I would rather see them spend the money to do that than have the City control the basketball arena because tax dollars funded it and then the BSA continues to be an eyesore because this wasn't done. Remember the BSA is used for alot more than basketball.

Bisonguy
12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
It looks like there are banked curves in the photo from The Forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/NDSU-track.jpg

Just like 1234 would have wanted....

somebison
12-07-2005, 12:58 AM
that looks like a sweet track setup

sambini
12-07-2005, 02:21 AM
+++

Bisonguy
12-07-2005, 03:20 AM
that looks like a sweet track setup

I wonder if it's a modular system that could be set up in the Fargdome? ;) :P

kchats
12-07-2005, 04:16 AM
NDSU doesn't own the FargoDome and would have to pay rent. They also only get so many dates a year in the FargoDome. Everything this administration has done so far is first class. Look at the renovations for the FargoDome to add state of the art coaches offices, training room, meeting room and locker rooms. After the BSA gets renovated the only thing left will be to renovate the locker rooms and training room at Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse right?

SDbison
12-07-2005, 04:34 AM
It looks like there are banked curves in the photo from The Forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/NDSU-track.jpg

Just like 1234 would have wanted....
So other than banked curves what is so great. BTW the permanent stands on the west side don't show the ugly pillars in the sight lines at the top. Are those being removed? Also, the oddest thing about the west side seating is upper few rows are actually in the rafters (above the bottom of the ceiling trusses in the middle of the building). I have to agree, spending money on the BSA seems to be a waste, especially if anything new is planned within the next ten years. Call me stupid, but the BSA renovation could be a good example of government waste.

kchats
12-07-2005, 04:40 AM
How is it government waste when the money is being raised by donations solicited by NDSU. I believe Irv Inniger is the point man on the fund raising drive. I guess you and BisonBacker could step up and donate $30 million each to have a new arena built that you feel is more worth it. I see a first class new arena costing around $75 million which is alot more than the $16 million they are spending to renovate the BSA into a first class facility through private donates (no government funding and no Fargo sales tax initiative).

SDbison
12-07-2005, 05:07 AM
How is it government waste when the money is being raised by donations solicited by NDSU. *I believe Irv Inniger is the point man on the fund raising drive. *I guess you and BisonBacker could step up and donate $30 million each to have a new arena built that you feel is more worth it. *I see a first class new arena costing around $75 million which is alot more than the $16 million they are spending to renovate the BSA into a first class facility through private donates (no government funding and no Fargo sales tax initiative).
The current facility is owned by the university which is part of a state system. If 16 million dollars of private money is pumped into a renovated BSA that ends up being under-utilized it would be a bad investment. Maybe that 16 million could be applied to a better long term investment?

kchats
12-07-2005, 05:23 AM
How long has NDSU played in the BSA? I believe it was built in the early 70's. That is 35 years. When it is renovated to a first class facility by this $16 million renovation it should be a great facility for NDSU ahtletics for a very long time.

If you are really concerned about it email Gene Taylor and he will give you very good reasons for the renovation of the BSA as opposed to the construction of a new arena. Complaining to all of us on this message board accomplishes nothing. And while you are at it complain to him about the schedule and I am sure he will provide you with a response to that complaint as well.

JBB
12-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Ive never seen Aerosmith in the FFD, but I have seen the Rolling Stones. I just got back from the Mighty Smith at the Target Center one of the nations great rock sheds. They blew the city away, in MHO. I think we can play BB in the FFD.

sambini
12-08-2005, 03:07 AM
Aerosmith has played in the dome twice? I thought the first Eagles concert was one of the best in the dome.

IowaBisonToo
12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
IF the BSA ended up like the photo renderings along with the indoor track, I think it would be a wise investment. I'm sure there would be plenty of DI schools that would like to have an arena that looked like that. It looks cozy and looks like there could be a lot of noise that could be made in this type of setting. Cameron down in Durham, NC is only slightly bigger than this rendering (~9000 seats) and built in the '40s. Granted, I'm not even going to start comparing NDSU to Duke and I also realize the fact that if they wanted, Duke could raise enough funds fairly quickly to build a new arena but, it's worked for them for years, why couldn't a 35 year old, renovated BSA work for NDSU???

BisonMav
12-08-2005, 02:32 PM
In the 1980's when I attended NDSU, the best part of going to basketball games was being able to go early and get decent seats. The bleachers were all GA at the time. Attendance would average around 5-6000 fans. IMO, making a majority of the bleacher reserved seating took the game away from the real fans. The real fans want to get there early,watch warmups, read the programs, sit next to other real fans, etc. The casual fan wants to get to the game sometime around tip-off, sit in a comfy seat, leave the game with 5 minutes left to beat traffic, tell people the next day they had great seats, so on and so on. It's like concerts with festival seating, the real fans get there first and get the good seats. I have no problem with reserved seating on the other side, but give the game back to the fans.

Now I am off my soap box

Gully
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
In the 1980's when I attended NDSU, the best part of going to basketball games was being able to go early and get decent seats. *The bleachers were all GA at the time. *Attendance would average around 5-6000 fans. *IMO, making a majority of the bleacher reserved seating took the game away from the real fans. *The real fans want to get there early,watch warmups, read the programs, sit next to other real fans, etc. *The casual fan wants to get to the game sometime around tip-off, sit in a comfy seat, leave the game with 5 minutes left to beat traffic, tell people the next day they had great seats, so on and so on. *It's like concerts with festival seating, the real fans get there first and get the good seats. *I have no problem with reserved seating on the other side, but give the game back to the fans. *

Now I am off my soap box

Interesting points but the only problem is that the people you don't think are fans are often (not always) the same people paying the bills.

I think there is room for both.

BisonBacker
12-08-2005, 04:36 PM
IF the BSA ended up like the photo renderings along with the indoor track, I think it would be a wise investment. *I'm sure there would be plenty of DI schools that would like to have an arena that looked like that. *It looks cozy and looks like there could be a lot of noise that could be made in this type of setting. *Cameron down in Durham, NC is only slightly bigger than this rendering (~9000 seats) and built in the '40s. *Granted, I'm not even going to start comparing NDSU to Duke and I also realize the fact that if they wanted, Duke could raise enough funds fairly quickly to build a new arena but, it's worked for them for years, why couldn't a 35 year old, renovated BSA work for NDSU???
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. :P
I still think the ceiling is too low!

kchats
12-08-2005, 06:30 PM
How often has a basketball shot hit the ceiling? How many pole vaulters have hit the ceiling? Explain why you think it is too low. Roadwarrior said the new scoreboard was specifically designed for the BSA and includes video boards. Seems to me they would design it with plenty of clearance to the court.

BisonBacker
12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Look at the building. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the ceiling is low. If your all elated then great you can be, I myself think its throwing money into a building that has a problem your not going to get around with renovations.

roadwarrior
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
The BSA ceiling would definitely be too low if Drago had to do his punting in there ;D

IowaBisonToo
12-08-2005, 08:07 PM
The ceiling is to low if you're going to launch one from one end of the court to the other for a last second shot. Think of it as a mini-HHH Metrodome -- speakers are in play. Here, the scoreboard is in play :D

sambini
12-09-2005, 02:45 AM
It is fine but not for DRAGO.

Bisonguy
12-09-2005, 03:00 AM
It is fine but not for DRAGO.

Heck, the Fargodome roof might be too low for Drago by his senior year.

Anybody else ever wonder if he talks to the ball just before he kicks it and says, "I must break you" in a russian accent? ;D

sambini
12-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I would love to see him hit the roof.

kchats
12-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Look at the building. *It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the ceiling is low. *If your all elated then great you can be, I myself think its throwing money into a building that has a problem your not going to get around with renovations. *

Feel free to contact NDSU with your offer to build a brand new arena. When you contact them let them know that the $16 million they were planning on wasting on the BSA will be the only portion they are required to put towards the $75-100 million arena that you are willing to personally finance. Since you are donating over $50 million they might even name this arena you want so badly the Bison Backer Arena. ;)

sambini
12-10-2005, 03:42 PM
NDSU does not have a RALPH to finance a new arena. Therrrefore Erv is out doing a great job raising funds to renovate the BSA. Things will be fine and if you can find a Ralph have sign a check for a new arena. I think ERV should be commended on his efforts. He is going all over the country meeting with people to help the cause. And he does it in a first class manner. Thank you ERV for all you do for NDSU ATHLETICS.++++++++

BisonMav
12-10-2005, 04:58 PM
If I win the lottery, I will make a donation.

Erv is doing a great job.

sambini
12-10-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm with you on that thought and have my ticket for tonite.

TheBisonator
12-10-2005, 08:38 PM
NDSU does not have a RALPH to finance a new arena. Therrrefore Erv is out doing a great job raising funds to renovate the BSA. Things will be fine and if you can find a Ralph have sign a check for a new arena. I think ERV should be commended on his efforts. He is going all over the country meeting with people to help the cause. And he does it in a first class manner. Thank you ERV for all you do for NDSU ATHLETICS.++++++++

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Doug Burgum have more money than Ralph ever had?? I believe he's worth over $1.2 billion?? AGain, correct me if I'm wrong...

kchats
12-10-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't see anyone from Fargo, North Dakota listed on Forbes richest Americans list.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Doug Burgum have more money than Ralph ever had?? I believe he's worth over $1.2 billion?? AGain, correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't know about Burgum, but when the REA was being built, Engelstad's net worth was estimated at approximately $1 billion.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I haven't taken the time to read completely through this thread, but as far as playing basketball games in the dome, I think it is a bad idea. It was not a fun atmosphere playing basketball in the REA. It was a dead black cavernous hole. And the Dome has what, twice if not more space? The only good atmosphere I remember in REA for basketball was Kansas and NDSU in 2003, and there were alot more butts in the seats for those games than the 2,000-2,500 that either UND or NDSU normally draws.

sambini
12-10-2005, 11:39 PM
The Burgum family has given a lot to NDSU OVER THE YEARS. I think Gary Tharaldson was on Forbes list one time. I do not know if Doug Burgum ever was. He must be pretty close. And thanks to the Burgum family for all they have done for NDSU.

gobison901
12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
I played BB in the fargodome back in high school, granted it was high school, and all but out on the court it just didn't feel like a basketball arena. renovation of the BSA is just fine, i mean look at solider field in chicago, yeah its a pro stadium and they spent alot more than 18 million but geez i went to a game there last year and it is beautiful. the stadium was built in 1924 but you'd never know it by being in there. Green Bay also renovated Lambeau it was opened in 1957 and it is also beautiful. if they rennovated the BSA it would be beautiful as well so i say leave BB in the BSA.

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 05:34 AM
I played BB in the fargodome back in high school, granted it was high school, and all but out on the court it just didn't feel like a basketball arena. renovation of the BSA is just fine, i mean look at solider field in chicago, yeah its a pro stadium and they spent alot more than 18 million but geez i went to a game there last year and it is beautiful. the stadium was built in 1924 but you'd never know it by being in there. Green Bay also renovated Lambeau it was opened in 1957 and it is also beautiful. if they rennovated the BSA it would be beautiful as well so i say leave BB in the BSA.

Damn, you are lucky. I would love to go to a game at Soldier Field, old or new (I've always been a big Bears and Patriots fan because I started paying attention to football in 1985). I drove by it once. I also drove around the parking lot of Lambeau in the middle of the night while it was being renovated a couple years ago. Those old buildings are great.

sambini
12-11-2005, 06:48 AM
I agree I DO NOT THINK THE DOME HAS THE ATMOSPHERE FOR HOOPS.

JACKGUYII
12-14-2005, 07:57 PM
http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/VarsitySports/MensBasketball/FrostArena/Index.cfm

An arena does not need to have huge capacity or be brand new to be a great place for players to play and fans to watch. Frost Arena at SDSU which opened in 1973 andhas a capacity of just 8,500, but I think it's a wonderful intimate arena with great atmosphere. For those of you who have never been should come down for the mens and womens games to see how spending dollars wisely on some new amenities can make an older arena very nice.

MplsBison
12-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Look at the building. *It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the ceiling is low. *If your all elated then great you can be, I myself think its throwing money into a building that has a problem your not going to get around with renovations. *

You guys do realize there is a way to increase the height of the roof over the playing surface without touching a single bolt, nail, or screw of the building itself, right?

Lower the floor.

BisBison
12-17-2005, 06:20 PM
You guys do realize there is a way to increase the height of the roof over the playing surface without touching a single bolt, nail, or screw of the building itself, right?

Lower the floor.
Remember, we are in the middle of an old lake bed. Lower the floor too much and you'll spring a leak. I think the ground water is about 3 inches below the surface in the RRV.

kchats
12-17-2005, 08:05 PM
The dome floor is located below the ground.

BisBison
12-17-2005, 10:59 PM
The dome floor is located below the ground.
and it's flooded a couple times. I know it can be done, but it may or may not be fiscally feasible.

MplsBison
12-18-2005, 02:49 AM
and it's flooded a couple times. I know it can be done, but it may or may not be fiscally feasible.

Probably cheaper than remodeling the building.

But I'm sure both are expensive options.

sambini
12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
They will renovate the BSA as money allows. New scoreboards go in Jan. It is a step by step process.

bisonmike
12-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I still think we should bid to have an opening round of the NCAA tournament (men or women) at the dome.

sambini
12-23-2005, 11:29 PM
++++