PDA

View Full Version : A Good Fan: Standing vs. Sitting

IowaBison
02-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I think that fans need to treat one another with respect.

Standing for the sake of standing all game can be quite disrespectful. *If you are surrounded by 3,000 other standing students who don't care, good for you.

If you're standing the whole game in front of those whose view you obstruct and they ask you to be courteous, please be courteous.

If you're an old fart and you are upset that young people stand and cheer after great plays or to create a hostile atmostphere during crucial moments do your best to restrain yourself and let others enjoy the gain.

sambini
02-15-2006, 01:59 AM
+++++++

Tatanka
02-15-2006, 02:29 AM
++

Hell, even in church you stand every once in a while. Let the COLLEGE STUDENTS enjoy the COLLEGE (basketball|football) game.

insane_ponderer
02-15-2006, 12:33 PM
i know that this has been a long standing debate, and definently hasnt been limited to basketball.

There isnt much you can do about the football game environment that hasn't already been done. A seperate student section and the thunderzone have helped and hopefully can satisfy most fans.

The BSA on the other hand is a bit different. So when they rebuild it I hope that they figure out how to properly put in seating (very steep) in order so there isnt a bad seat in the house, as well as put the student section on the floor, 3/4's or 1/2 way around the court on the floor and then make sure that if the students stand, the rows above them can see the game (thats where the steepness comes in.)

I recently attended the pitt vs. cincy game and there were 12,500 people there, the student section is very rowdy and stands and jumps the whole game, but its low enough so that everyone that pays for a ticket can see over them while sitting. It works amazingly well and I hope our guys designing this thing take that into consideration.

bisonaudit
02-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I saw a Duke home game on TV recently and it looks like the last low of the lower bowl is significantly lower than the first row of the seeting behind. They've constructed the arena to allow the student (who surround the entire court) to stand 100% of the game w/out interfering with the sight lines of the other fans.

insane_ponderer
02-16-2006, 12:25 AM
They've constructed the arena to allow the student (who surround the entire court) to stand 100% of the game w/out interfering with the sight lines of the other fans.

amazing idea isn't it...i mean seriously, a very easy solution to a long running problem. honestly seems like the perfect solution to me.

Bisonguy
02-16-2006, 12:29 AM
amazing idea isn't it...i mean seriously, a very easy solution to a long running problem. *honestly seems like the perfect solution to me.

+++

Much like how the Bison ticket office tries to keep the first couple rows of the upper seating area open behind the students.

Bison007
02-18-2006, 02:44 AM
amazing idea isn't it...i mean seriously, a very easy solution to a long running problem. *honestly seems like the perfect solution to me.

I don't know if you've been to the BSA lately, but that is how it is now. The student section standing in no way obstructs the balcony seats. This design should be continually represented in the new BSA.

insane_ponderer
02-18-2006, 04:31 AM
I don't know if you've been to the BSA lately, but that is how it is now. The student section standing in no way obstructs the balcony seats. This design should be continually represented in the new BSA.

yeah, sorta...its not quite ideal though. The opposing team fans are sometimes mixed in on the west side benches, not to mention other older fans from time to time....plus the bleacher seating really isnt ideal in any way because it isnt steep enough (not to mention comfort factor) when you do sit down. I would really like to see more of an actual arena seating set up, enclosing the court.

on a side note, after attending a major televised basketball game i realized why their fans are so into the game all the time and energetic. its because of all the tv time outs. everyone sits for the tv time outs and gets a rest, that doesnt happen for ndsu games...:)

norm4life
02-18-2006, 05:08 AM
I normally sit in the back row of the student section and there are 1 or 2 people who complain about us standing. If there is a large student section, they don't complain. If the student section isn't packed but there are still people standing, I can't see all the action like I would be able to if I were standing. So I am forced to stand, but then I get complaints from behind me. I try to be considerate but I need to see the action too. I would like to turn around and say something but that isn't going to solve anything. Their isn't a huge problem, but if they're going to do some renovation, they should make it so there isn't a problem at all. :D

sambini
02-18-2006, 05:22 AM
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE 3000 STUDENTS STANDING AND ROCKING THE PLACE.